LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 zblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enough

Default How to tell if a crossover is bad...

So, how can you tell if a crossover is bad? will it just not work at all resulting in no sound for the speakers? or will it not properly split the signal between mids and highs and result in tweets playing lows and mids highs?

Is there a way to test the xover to see if it is functioning correctly? DMM readings? unplug each speaker and check with test cd of different frequencies?

I am asking these questions because I recently bought a 2-way set that came with some xovers and some extra ones, the seller had told me that one of the xovers was bad... so im wondering if i happend to install the bad one because the tweeter on that side started crackling at certain frequencies and then finally just stopped playing music, while the mid is still goign strong...

and the other set of speakers on the right side are working with no problems still...

could it have just been a bad tweeter? or could it have been the xover?

want to figure this out before i buy some new tweeters and find out it was the xover and blow another tweeter/mid....

THANKS!

--Zblee--2002 Silverado Reg Cab--CDA-9855
300/4v2 --> CS 265 Profi Kick/CAL26silk
500/1v2 --> 10w6v1 x2
zblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 58 Wy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enoughWy2quiet will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to tell if a crossover is bad...

If they are passive, the signal will degrade and then just cut out. Mine is blown, so only the tweet output works, the mid won't put out any sound. Active x'overs would be different.

Play music, check for A/C voltage between the output (tweet or mid) on the crossover. If voltage is 0, then you know its dead.
Wy2quiet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 laxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enough

generally it's capacitors that go bad and you can usually see if a cap goes bad - they usually deform the casing in one way or another.
laxcat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 zblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enoughzblee will become famous soon enough

so from what it sounds like is... if the xover is not good, it will not put any sound out at all?

is it possible that it can be bad and just be putting out the wrong sounds?

thanks for the responses... sounds like i might have bought some "overly" used tweets.... or im pumping too much juice into them :/

jl 300/4 bridged to 150x2 -- going to xover where it splits to cal25 silk tweets and the mids...

gains are set properly using DMM and JL voltage charts... but might not help that i had volume at 75% ( which is what i used to set the gains )

bah, need some new tweets...guess i learned the hard way :/

EDIT: oh and yes they are passive , they are in between the amp and speakers...
hopefully its not the xovers.. cuz that would be a pain to replace ONLY the crossovers...

500/1v2 --> 10w6v1 x2
Old 07-08-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 laxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enoughlaxcat73 will become famous soon enough

not necessarily that it wont play at all because some components could be wired in parallel so if one goes bad the power goes through the other side of it.

it won't do the desired affect. it's pretty easy to make an inexpensive passive crossover but it wont be perfect
Old 07-08-2010   #6

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxcat73 View Post
not necessarily that it wont play at all because some components could be wired in parallel so if one goes bad the power goes through the other side of it.
ahh, thats what i was afraid of...

i just need to pop a test cd in and see if the mid plays any high frequencies...

if it does i need new xovers AND tweets .. ugh

500/1v2 --> 10w6v1 x2
Old 07-08-2010   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 155 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

Hook a mid to the tweeter out and see if any mid comes out. You should have speakers of same (original) ohm on all outputs for them to work right. If any mid gets into the tweets they will crack and cook. You may be able to replace the caps in the xover, or any tech can, not that hard, the cap is what keeps the bass out of something which is usually what trashes something.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #8

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqshoestring View Post
Hook a mid to the tweeter out and see if any mid comes out. You should have speakers of same (original) ohm on all outputs for them to work right. If any mid gets into the tweets they will crack and cook. You may be able to replace the caps in the xover, or any tech can, not that hard, the cap is what keeps the bass out of something which is usually what trashes something.
that wouldn't really work if they were different impedance because capacitors filter differently from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, i cant recall which way it goes but i think an 8 ohm resistance on the line makes the cap filter at an octave higher or vice verse
Old 07-08-2010   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
that wouldn't really work if they were different impedance because capacitors filter differently from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, i cant recall which way it goes but i think an 8 ohm resistance on the line makes the cap filter at an octave higher or vice verse
i think the woofer and tweet are both 4ohm

500/1v2 --> 10w6v1 x2
Old 07-08-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

cant hurt to try. try the woof on the high pass section. try the tweet on a very low powered full range signal too. if the woofer doesnt play anything connected to the tweet section, you know that the signal isn't getting through for some reason
Old 07-08-2010   #11

DIYMA freshman

oh and some more bad news... my right tweeter seemed to be going out .. it was playing good, then it just cut out and didnt play anymusic... so i may be turning up the volume too high.... oh and this one didnt have the same crackling noise as a warning, it just stopped playiing, so it might not be the xovers, but me just turning up the volume too high... BAH

500/1v2 --> 10w6v1 x2
Old 07-08-2010   #12

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
cant hurt to try. try the woof on the high pass section. try the tweet on a very low powered full range signal too. if the woofer doesnt play anything connected to the tweet section, you know that the signal isn't getting through for some reason
well i hooked up the woof to the high pass it it did not play any mid bass... so i believe i can conclude that i basically just blew the tweet unfortunately....

my right one still works so i at least i have one until i get new ones...

i think i figured out what i did wrong ( this being the first time doing a complete install,... especially adding amp for front stage and doing components... both new to me )

i did some reading and i think what is happening is that i had my max volume too high for my HU and i was clipping the actual HU output... so what i plan on doing is adjusting my gains again with my max HU volume at about 60% instead of 75%, this should reduce the chance of the HU clipping... im not 100% this is the reasoning behind the blown tweet... but from what i read online...it sounds about right for my scenario..

cross my fingers when i get my new tweets ( who knows when that will be... ANYONE HAVE SOME RAINBOW CAL26's they want to sell me??? and anyone want a single CAL25???? ) and adjust the gain, hopefuly i can keep the new ones for longer than 2 weeks... i hate learning the hard way.. well noob mistake!

500/1v2 --> 10w6v1 x2