LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 jf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enough

Default Maintaining a Constant 14 Volts.

First off the Car is a 2008 Altima. I will be running 2 amps in my system. Both are sundown. A 100.4, and 1200rms mono. The mono makes the 1200 watts at 12.8 volts, and it is supposed to do 1500rms and 14.4 volts. So now I want to get a constant 14.4 volts to that amp. I believe the stock alternator in the Altima is somewhere around 110-130 amps. So would just doing a big 3, and maybe adding another battery in the trunk do this for me? I know a new alternator would help a lot, but it would be nice to avoid spending that 5 or 6 bills. What do you guys think.
jf2oo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Maintaining a Constant 14 Volts.

156.1 dB -- One Sub / No-Wall / 12v

Quote:
Man I am excited... 155.9 was my best before with two Nightshade 15s and four 3000s on an 18v system.

Without an adjustable voltage regulator ... no way !

Quote:
output voltage adjustable over a 1.2 to 37 V range. ...

Last edited by Oliver; 09-20-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 gijoe will become famous soon enoughgijoe will become famous soon enoughgijoe will become famous soon enoughgijoe will become famous soon enoughgijoe will become famous soon enoughgijoe will become famous soon enough

How much are you willing to invest for 300 watts? The difference between 1200watts and 1500 isn't audible.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS with- Pioneer P99RS/Image Dynamics OEM Mids/ BG Neo 3's/2 AE SBP 15's/Alpine PDX-V9
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 Cruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
How much are you willing to invest for 300 watts? The difference between 1200watts and 1500 isn't audible.
i agree, just do the big 3 as its not that much $ and be done with it.

i have a 130amp alt, stock battery, 2 amps, i get 14.4 volts to my AQ1200D and its running @1ohm 1200 watts or more and i dont even have the big 3 done...

Head Unit: Pioneer 800PRS | Tweets: Dayton DC28F Silk | Mids: Dayton RS180 | Speaker Amp: Infinity Kappa Four | Sub: Dayton HO 15" | Sub Amp: AQ1200D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKk6...ature=youtu.be
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...b-install.html
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 187 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

Increase your idle to about 1200rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery
What I wanted to say is that amps ... sound the same.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 jf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enoughjf2oo6 will become famous soon enough

Well I dont want to go crazy trying to get 300 watts. This thread was pretty much asking what the options are to achieve the 14 volts. Just trying to see if someone has a simple, cost efficient solution.

Do you guys think adding another battery would help? Can my stock alt charge 2 batteries ok?
jf2oo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 162 89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice

Well, instead of trying to get a constant 14 volts which is not an easy task, you could sell those amps and run some amps with a regulated Power supply like old School PPI's, or maybe one of the few new ones that have regulated supplies (don't know many news ones that do), then your Power output wouldn't be dependent on input voltage, at least not from about 10.5 volts and up.
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 matt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Agreed. Doubling Power to a Speaker only increases the spl by 3bd's and your not even close to that. Thats a marketing technique that companies use to make the amp sound better. The alternator runs at 14v but the battery and rest of the system are designed to stay at 12. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, if you were able to get it to happen, you take a chance of frying all your cars other electrical components.
matt1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 159 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

It is easier to get a larger amp. The extra battery will only help if you are dropping under 13v, or playing with Car off, but I think a good idea. You will overcharge the batteries and all that too, just get more amp. Voltage regulators run higher the cooler they are, my Car goes over 14.5 all the time in the winter.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 81 SoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the rough

40 farads would do it.
SoundChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 204 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

you won't maintain 14.4V on bass passages, it's one of the immutable laws of physics that running through Wire will produce resistance that equates to losses.

having another battery connected is going to help drop that voltage some, but once you're past the alternator's capability you're going to be drawing right out of the battery storage.

that's 12.6V, but because it's dynamic and you're only jumping across the alternator's limits at the top of the waveform, it's not going to be very audible. The idea of "amp makes Power at 14.4V, I want 14.4V" is unrealistic, and should be used as a specification for judging between amplifiers, and not as a real possibility in car.
cajunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 Knobby Digital will become famous soon enoughKnobby Digital will become famous soon enoughKnobby Digital will become famous soon enoughKnobby Digital will become famous soon enoughKnobby Digital will become famous soon enoughKnobby Digital will become famous soon enough

Missing Link Audio

Dunno anything about them.

A speaker is only as good as the logo on its dustcap.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^build log enclosed^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Knobby Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 188 t3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of light

Difference between 1200 and 1500 watts? 1dB AT MOST under ideal Power supply conditions.

Decibel Watt Online Calculator

Play you system loud WITH MUSIC and HAVE SOMEONE lower the sub by 1dB without telling you. See if you can CONSISTENTLY tell when they do it. If you can't, then there is no point in changing anything since you won't have anything to gain.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Steel manipulator

Rep Power: 111 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

The MLA device listed above may help. What is going to happen is the alternator will provide all the current (amps) at its voltage 13.6-14.4 v.

At the point the audio system along with the Car accessories draw more than the alternator is able to provide the supply comes from the battery at ~12.6 volts. this voltage will drop lower continuously if you are putting sustained loads in excess of the alternators capacity.

Upgrade the grounds. Don't worry about the positive from the alternator.

Don't worry about upgrading amps to something with a regulated Power supply. The draw from a bunch of class AB amps putting out the Power you have on tap now would be even worse on your electrical. Plus you have the amps already. And they are great amps.

I run a bit more power than you on a stock electrical. Upgraded battery. Good cable runs. Upgraded grounds. I don't listen to a lot of rap but regular music never comes close to being a problem.

It is very easy to conflate cause and effect that are unrelated in audio design. In fact, the entire audiophile industry is based upon this ease of fallacy.
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 Cruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished road

I don't understand. I looked up my alternator what I read I have a 136amp alternator.

When I have truck running, hard hitting song, volume cranke­ my voltage at the amp jumps from 14.2 to 14.4.

I have done anything to my electrical, not even a simple big 3.

Maybe I got a bigger alt than I think?

Head Unit: Pioneer 800PRS | Tweets: Dayton DC28F Silk | Mids: Dayton RS180 | Speaker Amp: Infinity Kappa Four | Sub: Dayton HO 15" | Sub Amp: AQ1200D
Old 09-21-2010   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 159 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

Voltage regs are imperfect, they change with temperature and load. When it senses a load it may produce slightly higher voltage, but you can be sure when you exceed the capability of the alternator voltage will drop. When you have too small of wire, voltage at the amp will drop but not as much at the battery. If this does not happen with the system at max volume playing material with bass in it, well then you have a large enough alternator and wire, at least until you turn other stuff on in the car.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 204 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I don't understand. I looked up my alternator what I read I have a 136amp alternator.

When I have truck running, hard hitting song, volume cranke­ my voltage at the amp jumps from 14.2 to 14.4.

I have done anything to my electrical, not even a simple big 3.

Maybe I got a bigger alt than I think?
something's faulty in your system, I'd suspect the voltage meter at the amp first.

ALL stock charging systems are designed not to boil the electrolyte in an acid battery, which means they are limited to maintaining a charge below 13.8 volts, long term. If your wiring doesn't take away any voltage through losses in the wires and connections, (an impossibility) then you should have no more than 13.8V at the amp after a warm-up/charging phase is complete. When you first crank up and for several minutes, the voltage regulator brings the voltage up to 14.4V, or 14.6V, but not much higher than that. Also when you kick your stereo to draw a bunch of power, the computer senses that low voltage condition and allows the voltage to bump up, to maintain the load.

Kind of like when a welding machine goes from "idle" to "in use" as the electrode arcs across the metal.

It's also possible that your voltage regulator is faulty and letting a higher voltage seep through, because most alternators if not governed by regulation are capable of putting out in excess of 16V, at normal engine speeds.
cajunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
then you should have no more than 13.8V at the amp after a warm-up/charging phase is complete. When you first crank up and for several minutes, the voltage regulator brings the voltage up to 14.4V, or 14.6V, but not much higher than that.
This must have been it. i started the truck and cranked the volume. after the truck's rpms went down then i tested it. probably a whole minute after starting it but what ur saying is everyones Car does that right after being started.

guess i need to drive a little and after i get home, dont turn it off, and test it again?