LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 77 CulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enough

Default Making a down fire box. Please help!

Alright guys, I need to know if this is a good idea or not. The only way I can see myself fitting a 10 or even a 12" subwoofer into my car is to make a downfire box. I'll be using a SSA Dcon. My question is: How far does the speaker have to be away from the floor, and do I seal 3 sides as in bring all 3 sides down to the floor but leave one up to try and direct the sound pressure rearwards almost like a port? I have 10.5" Height, 23" Width, and 18" Depth to work with. I'm planning on keeping this a sealed enclosure of .9ft after the .10ft displacement. Can someone please help? If there is a problem with down firing a subwoofer what is it?

Thanks
-Steven
CulinaryGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 77 CulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enoughCulinaryGod will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Making a down fire box. Please help!

Anyone?
Old 09-22-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Addicted to 12 Volt

12V Company:
TAS Electronics
Position:
Install Tech

Rep Power: 134 Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

Two or three inches of clearance should be fine. I would make two of the sides long enough to create the 'feet' that will keep it off the floor, and make a small removable panel that you can experiment with if you want.
Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #4

DIYMA Novice

Thanks. So to give me 2" of clearance from the subwoofer to the floor, that will lave me 1" behind the motor to the inside of the box. Is this sufficient?
Old 09-22-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Addicted to 12 Volt

12V Company:
TAS Electronics
Position:
Install Tech

Rep Power: 134 Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

It will be plenty if the sub doesn't have a vented pole. Even it it does, that ought to be sufficient, but I wouldn't make it any closer than that.
Old 09-22-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 184 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

if the box you've calculated in height has 2 inches of space under the sub, and allows one inch of space behind the woofer, I would then give myself 1.5 inches of space beneath the sub and 1.5 inches of space behind the woofer, giving myself the maximum enclosure volume. I also would choose not to enclose the underneath of the box on any of the sides, allowing it to radiate free and clear in all directions. This gives you a radiant sound field, and allows the best response in car.

If you feel like you must direct the output in a slot-load configuration, then you'll need a bit more room or vent area, as this is a different type of loading scheme.

You should figure out whether the sub you have chosen will accomodate downfiring or if sag is going to be a problem, as well.
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #7

DIYMA Novice

So you're saying I should place little legs on it and not enlcose any side at all? I can do that. Also, when you tell me to find out if the subwoofer can accomodate downfiring or if sag will be a problem, I assume you mean contact the manufacturer and see if this is possible? Am I correct? Thank you for the input guys. It's much appreciated.
Old 09-22-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 184 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CulinaryGod View Post
So you're saying I should place little legs on it and not enlcose any side at all? I can do that. Also, when you tell me to find out if the subwoofer can accomodate downfiring or if sag will be a problem, I assume you mean contact the manufacturer and see if this is possible? Am I correct? Thank you for the input guys. It's much appreciated.
you should be able to tell from the manufacturer specs whether sag is going to be a factor or not, but an email to their website "contact us" dept. probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

The reasoning behind not enclosing the sides is only applicable in a general sense, you haven't said where it is being installed, what specific vehicle, what are you looking for, loud or sound quality, etc.

if you want to complete the picture, the suggestions can hone in on the best case scenario.

sometimes blocking output that would normally move a pant leg, will help in keeping the low frequencies non-directional, as this is important to a believable front stage. so, not all instances require the open bottom, but as you decrease the height between the sub and the floor, you generally do better having more area for sound to pass than less.
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #9

DIYMA Novice

Sorry I didn't give more specifics. The box will be mounted under the rear brace in my 350Z. So it'll basically be in the middle of the cab right behind the drivers seat. I'm going to sound quality.
Old 09-23-2010   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Addicted to 12 Volt

12V Company:
TAS Electronics
Position:
Install Tech

There was a calculator somewhere on the PartsExpress site for sag if you want to look it up. Whether or not you enclose the sides is probably best determined by experimenting.
Old 09-23-2010   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 routzong will become famous soon enoughroutzong will become famous soon enoughroutzong will become famous soon enoughroutzong will become famous soon enoughroutzong will become famous soon enoughroutzong will become famous soon enough

I had a downfiring enclosure in my suburban and loved it! I didn't have to worry about the size like you do though. I had a little more than 2" clearance between box and floor. It was open on all sides, just had about 2" long "feet" cut into the mdf on the corners. I tried forward,backward, up and down-firing and down firing sounded best by a good margin (IMO). Even better, I was able to stack lumber, half a ton of bricks, etc all around and even on top of the box. Kids could just toss in the backpacks without worrying about breaking something. Pulled the speakers out last week to sell them and they looked brand new, no scratches or sun fading.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Psalms 100:1-2
routzong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #12

DIYMA Novice

That's awesome routzong. That's what I'm looking forward to. Being able to use what's left of my trunk is great without having to worry about poking the speaker. I like to toss my bag in the back and my cd's and whatnot so I think it'll be perfect.