LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enough

Default 98 Camaro monsoon upgrade

I’ve got a 98 Camaro and I need upgrade advice. It came with the factory monsoon system. I just replaced the hu with a Kenwood x994 while still using the monsoon amp. Just replacing the hu has made the system so much clearer. But I’d like ditch the monsoon amp and replace the speakers. I want to keep my budget around $1,000.00. I see a lot of guys setting up components for the front speakers but I don’t want to drill or cut any extra holes in the doors for the tweeters. Using the crutchfield fit guide I came up with the following – Polk db651s in front doors – Polk db651s in sail panels – Polk db1040 sub in stealth box – all driven by a Polk 1100.5 amp. I think I‘d just use the fade and gain settings to keep the rear lowered. Any advice would be appreciated.
bandit1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 BassnTruck will become famous soon enoughBassnTruck will become famous soon enoughBassnTruck will become famous soon enoughBassnTruck will become famous soon enoughBassnTruck will become famous soon enoughBassnTruck will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 98 Camaro monsoon upgrade

Well it sounds like your mind is made up. So I am not sure what you are really wanting here.

There are better / cheaper options out there.

Edit:

I like these speakers. They are pretty nice for a coax with good a crossover.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-D1702R.html

For whatever reason 5 channels are just really expensive per watt. Plus since you are willing to not have fade on the speakers (which most never use anyway) I would use a 4 channel amp. Run the front channels at 2ohms and the rear bridged at 4ohms.
Amp
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...t+DSC+480.html
Sub
Either of these.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...JBL+P1022.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...L+GTO1014.html

Just a little over $500

Last edited by BassnTruck; 10-05-2010 at 11:47 AM..
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enoughbandit1999 will become famous soon enough

I don't really have my mind made up. The more I read here the more un-made up my mind gets. I'm going to be mail ordering all the parts so I picked Polk because the've been around a while and seem to have a decent reputation. I don't know if I would be better skipping the rear sail panel speakers and just buying some really good components that can be mounted coaxialy in the doors. On some of the Camaro forums there is a dealer that sells CDT brand speakers that replace the factory speakers but the CDT brand does not seem to get great reviews here. Basically I'm just looking for advice.
Old 10-05-2010   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Rep Power: 966 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

The reason CDT speakers do not get a good review here is because they are simply overpriced Vifa drivers that are available from Madisound. Granted, there is increased value in a properly designed passive crossover network, but that point is lost when one chooses to run with an active electronic crossover.

As for your Camaro, do you happen to have an after market exhaust on it? If you do, you will probably need to amplify your rear speakers because the F body seems to let a lot of that exhaust noise back in.

Generally, I would recommend against amplifying the rear speakers and say to run them off of deck power if you must have them. My exception to this is the fact that I have sat in many modified F bodies and it will take power and extra speakers to overcome the noise.

The other alternative would be to get a better set of door speakers that can handle a good bit of power and just skip the rear speakers all together. For example, The Polk MM6501 is rated to handle 125 watts RMS, and I'd spend more money on better door speakers before I would add speakers in the rear. Of course, it is a tough call not knowing what you have done to your vehicle performance wise.

2013 GTI Driver's Edition - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU with Stage 2 DSG
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
DrivenAudio
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 75 pentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enough

I have actually dont that exact setup but with the infinity 5 channel amp, can be had on ebay pretty cheap. I have done a number of fbody setups and feel free to pick my brain. The db's are a great budget minded coaxial speaker and the setup you have picked with sound 100x better hten stock. IMO the polk amp is good but overpriced. I would pick up an infinity 5350a on the ebay and save some cash
pentavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 stills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond repute

i'd skip the sails.

i'm on my 4th or 5th f-body now.

team brown note
stills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #7

DIYMA freshman

I'm leaning towards a setup like BassNTruck suggested (using a 4 channel amp to drive the left and right doors and bridge the other side for a single sub) but I've got a quick question. My kenwood hu has left & right pre outs for front, rear, & sub. Accodring to the owners manaul the mb quart amp wants a single mono channel when bridged. I can't find a setting on the kenwood hu to make the sub pre out go to mono. Should I I just run one set of left and right rcas from the front channel to the amp and let it mono sum the channels over to the bridged sub channel or is there a way to make the kenwood output a mono sub channel?
Old 10-06-2010   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 stills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond repute

i single rca input or a mono signal?

radio shack should have some two into one rca converters cheap if thats whatcha need.

team brown note
stills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 77 Cruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished road

i vote polk MM series all around, speakers and sub. i love my polk audio MM 1040 10" subs. great sound quality and are rated for 350, but im sending ~450 and they are fine.

i can only imagine how polk MM speakers would be, though components would be better than coax, but as a previous fbody owner, i know u would have to do mods for it.

as much as i like polk, their amps are overpriced. mb quart make some decent 4 channel amps for cheap

Head Unit: Pioneer 800PRS | Tweets: Dayton DC28F Silk | Mids: Dayton RS180 | Speaker Amp: Infinity Kappa Four | Sub: Dayton HO 15" | Sub Amp: AQ1200D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKk6...ature=youtu.be
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...b-install.html
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 1sicls1 will become famous soon enough1sicls1 will become famous soon enough1sicls1 will become famous soon enough1sicls1 will become famous soon enough1sicls1 will become famous soon enough1sicls1 will become famous soon enough

I have a 99 Z28 aftermarket exhaust and with a JL audio stealth box with a 10w3 and I have no problems hearing my rear speakers and the sub sounds good with this setup.
1sicls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #11

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Sparks Automotive Infotainment
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 52 SparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enough

I sponsor LS1Tech as well and I know Camaro monsoon systems well.

Have a look through my speaker packages for the Camaro
93-02 Camaro
The stage 4 package even includes kick panel speaker pods.

Paired with the Kicker ZX700.5 amp you can make most any of the packages sing.
Kicker 10ZX700.5 ZX-Series 700 Watts RMS 5-Ch

For the Camaro the best setup is to run your front's and sail panels off of your amp, run the hatch speakers from the headunit, and then power your sub from the amp as well. Replacing the sailpanel subs with mid-bass drivers will help you cover the full range of sound.

If you don't see anything you like or would like to tweak one of the packages let me know, I know what will and won't work in an F-body pretty well.

www.SparksAI.com
Great Brands, Good Prices, Excellent Customer Service
Pioneer - Clarion - Rockford Fosgate - Kicker - RE Audio - MTX Audio - Dice Electronics - Street Wires - Atrend - Bass Forms - Cobra - and More!
SparksAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 105 Niebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparksAI View Post
I sponsor LS1Tech as well and I know Camaro monsoon systems well.

Have a look through my speaker packages for the Camaro
93-02 Camaro
The stage 4 package even includes kick panel speaker pods.
I would stay way away from kicks in the f-body's. Unless, of course, you don't mind having your sound buried by that huge dash and your passenger putting there feet all over them due to the cat converter hump on their side.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #13

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Sparks Automotive Infotainment
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 52 SparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enoughSparksAI will become famous soon enough

I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the sound quality of the kick panels pods in the f-body. Especially for the Camaro which their front speakers are components and the tweeter is mounted in the middle like a coaxial speaker. The kick panels just help to set the sound stage up better especially when you don't want to drill in or put new holes somewhere to mount the tweeters. Firebirds have it a bit better as the tweeter is mounted separately from the mid-driver and pointing towards the people in the car.

www.SparksAI.com
Great Brands, Good Prices, Excellent Customer Service
Pioneer - Clarion - Rockford Fosgate - Kicker - RE Audio - MTX Audio - Dice Electronics - Street Wires - Atrend - Bass Forms - Cobra - and More!
SparksAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #14
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 105 Niebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparksAI View Post
I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the sound quality of the kick panels pods in the f-body. Especially for the Camaro which their front speakers are components and the tweeter is mounted in the middle like a coaxial speaker. The kick panels just help to set the sound stage up better especially when you don't want to drill in or put new holes somewhere to mount the tweeters. Firebirds have it a bit better as the tweeter is mounted separately from the mid-driver and pointing towards the people in the car.
Again, the kick is very tight in that car and the cat hump makes it miserable for the passenger IMO.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 slowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to slowsedan01

I have a f-body box in real good shape for two tens that sits in the ditch in the back. Fit perfect in my '02 SS. I took it out before I sold the car and it has just been sitting in my garage since. $75 shipped if your interested.
slowsedan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #16

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
DrivenAudio
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 75 pentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enoughpentavolvo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Again, the kick is very tight in that car and the cat hump makes it miserable for the passenger IMO.
i agree 100%... as well he is just lookin for a moderate upgrade so no reason coaxials on an amp wont work fine
pentavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 a383z will become famous soon enougha383z will become famous soon enougha383z will become famous soon enougha383z will become famous soon enougha383z will become famous soon enougha383z will become famous soon enough

I am curious of the responders to this post of how to mount front tweets besides in front of the front 6 1/2. I was thinking of putting my tweets in my a-pillar real far forward. Is there any major issues with the reflection of the windshield or does the pros to your soundstage outweight the cons.
a383z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 jmil1974 will become famous soon enoughjmil1974 will become famous soon enoughjmil1974 will become famous soon enoughjmil1974 will become famous soon enoughjmil1974 will become famous soon enoughjmil1974 will become famous soon enough

If you are running active, time alignment will fix most of the issues. Some even like the effect better. Do what I did and mock them up with long wire, use some tape/velcro/towels/zip ties/whatever to experiment with placement and see which one you like best. The reason that the most common location is what it is is because it tends to work the best with the least amount of work.

I'll say this, in my 98 camaro, I ran 3 way active fronts with midranges and tweets in kicks and midbass in factory door locations ---- pure bliss. If I'd had an automatic, I'd have left them, but with a stick and passengers, it simply got too annoying.

Just try different spots then fix them where your ear likes it best. Run active...

Eclipse CD8053 , KEF blue mids, Dayton ND28f tweets, a/d/s/ anniversary amps, ED nine.2x, ED 12O sub
jmil1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough

This gets so confusing, I am like bandit, I want to get a good system to upgrade from stock (2002 camaro SS) and the more and more I hear the more I want to go out and drop $2,000.00 for a crazy, awesome setup, but for the average joe who is not an audiophile, won't the $100 medium grade coaxial speakers work AWESOME, in comparison with the stock setup?

Just a guy who like music, and likes building things myself!!!
45Colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough45Colt45 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post
Well it sounds like your mind is made up. So I am not sure what you are really wanting here.

There are better / cheaper options out there.

Edit:

I like these speakers. They are pretty nice for a coax with good a crossover.
Pioneer TS-D1702R (tsd1702r) 6-3/4" 2-Way D Series Car Speakers

For whatever reason 5 channels are just really expensive per watt. Plus since you are willing to not have fade on the speakers (which most never use anyway) I would use a 4 channel amp. Run the front channels at 2ohms and the rear bridged at 4ohms.
Amp
MB Quart DSC 480 Class A/B 4-Channel Discus Series Amplifier
Sub
Either of these.
JBL P1022 (P10-22) 10" Dual 2 ohm Power Series Car Subwoofer
JBL GTO1014 (GTO-1014) 10" Single 4 ohm Grand Touring Subwoofer

Just a little over $500
Awesome suggestion, I will be looking into this for my setup. Thanks

Just a guy who like music, and likes building things myself!!!
45Colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Easy Way Electronics

Rep Power: 66 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
The reason CDT speakers do not get a good review here is because they are simply overpriced Vifa drivers that are available from Madisound. Granted, there is increased value in a properly designed passive crossover network, but that point is lost when one chooses to run with an active electronic crossover.
Which CDT Audio drivers are Vifa drivers? I don't know about this as I've only been a CDT Audio dealer for a year now, but I'd like to think I'm not too biased to entertain this idea. I get new product announcements every few months that certainly suggests CDT Audio is capable of doing their own driver developments.

Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610 x 2, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, Pioneer TS-W3003D4, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote