LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 RacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enough

Default poor FM reception

I installed a Kenwood DNX6160 in my 06 Silverado and I could swear the FM reception was better with the factory stereo. I've had this problems in the past has anybody else had this problem. Any idea what causes it.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 CorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enough

Default Re: poor FM reception

some head units just have better tuners than others, kinda odd GM's basic tuner is better than Kenwood's though. I have a GMC Canyon and I hooked up a Rockford 3sixty to the factory head unit, works pretty good and retains all of the factory options like on-star/XM/Bluetooth etc. Downside with using a 3sixty though is to get it to work you have to install both it, and an amp. I would have much rather gotten a new head unit but I wanted to keep my on-star, my cell phone doesn't work where I go hunting in Eastern Oregon
CorNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 Pdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enough

Make sure if its a diversity antenna system that you're not on the sub antenna. Also make sure that if its amplified that it's getting power to the antenna amp.
OEMs spend a ton of money on radio reception/noise reduction that aftermarket does not, so it's not a surprise that the factory tuner would be better tuned to that vehicle.
Pdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 CorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enoughCorNut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdogg View Post
OEMs spend a ton of money on radio reception/noise reduction that aftermarket does not, so it's not a surprise that the factory tuner would be better tuned to that vehicle.
crazy, I never thought they put much thought into their designs with their radios and cared more about cost. I learned something
Old 02-06-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 nsaspook will become famous soon enoughnsaspook will become famous soon enoughnsaspook will become famous soon enoughnsaspook will become famous soon enoughnsaspook will become famous soon enoughnsaspook will become famous soon enough

The Kenwood has a state of the art FM tuner. Most problems are caused by the cars antenna amp not being powered when the OEM radio is replaced. Find the harness RF amp wire and make sure it's wired to the RF amp trigger wire from the Kenwood radio.

Car Radio Wiring Diagram and Car Stereo Wire Diagram – 2006 Chevrolet Silverado

In GOD we trust, all others we monitor.
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex.
nsaspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 RacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enoughRacerX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdogg View Post
Make sure if its a diversity antenna system that you're not on the sub antenna. Also make sure that if its amplified that it's getting power to the antenna amp.
How would I know if it's a diversity antenna system? Would an HD receiver add on help?
Old 02-06-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 72 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorNut View Post
crazy, I never thought they put much thought into their designs with their radios and cared more about cost. I learned something
That's because poor radio reception would bring customers back complaining. No new car customer expects great SQ in their new car but do expect the radio to come in without any static.

Car manufacturers are smart
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #8

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
How would I know if it's a diversity antenna system? Would an HD receiver add on help?
if you are using a harness it should have the spot to hook up the blue wire if it needs it, it'd be labeled, or did you splice into factory wiring? If so I would look up the wire harness they sell for it and hopefully you can figure out by the pictures and instructions where that wire would be? lol would most likely be a blue wire on the harness
Old 02-06-2011   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorNut View Post
if you are using a harness it should have the spot to hook up the blue wire if it needs it, it'd be labeled, or did you splice into factory wiring? If so I would look up the wire harness they sell for it and hopefully you can figure out by the pictures and instructions where that wire would be? lol would most likely be a blue wire on the harness
I bought the right wiring harness and box to connect the On Star. I would think everything would be hooked up right.
Old 02-06-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
I bought the right wiring harness and box to connect the On Star. I would think everything would be hooked up right.
I would assume so too if you used the after-market harness and installed it exactly as the instructions stated. Just seems odd Kenwood's would be "that" bad in comparison especially if nsaspook is right about kenwood using a state of the art tuner
Old 02-06-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 Pdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enoughPdogg will become famous soon enough

There should be an obvious drop in radio reception if you remove power from the antenna amp. You could check if its working that way.
Some of them won't even pass a signal at all if there's no power.
Pdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #12

DIYMA freshman

I had a shop do it. Looks like I will have to go back and check their work. This is harness I gave them.

Axxess GMOS-01 GM OnStar Interface
Old 02-06-2011   #13
DAT
Upgrade Your Membership!

LEFT THE BUILDING

Rep Power: 347 DAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond repute

weird, hmm i just had a guy call me tonight about bad Fm radio also says he can only get a few radio stations to play cleanly. and also his Power antenna doesn't work any more. He said when he took the Alpine HU out the antenna work with radio and turn off like normal with cd player.

I'm a big ol' loser.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #14

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
www.amateuraudioinc.com
Position:
Company Owner

Rep Power: 81 jmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enough

I cannot count on one hand how many times this has happened to me over the years. GM uses the mini antenna jack and a lot of the antenna adaptors on the market are complete junk (they just don't fit well). I recently installed a CD player in a 1988 Dodge that uses a full size antenna jack and even with a direct fit the radio still loses reception in the same location on my daily commute. I would double check the antenna adaptor.

Those Mosfet Class AB aluminum cloaked knights who have proven their strength and endurance for so long shall not rest until their time has come and they choose to retire in glory.
jmacdadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #15

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
SpeakerCity
Position:
Autotech Basic

Rep Power: 45 ryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enoughryomanx will become famous soon enough

have you try checking the ant. adapter? i've had that fix this very problem a few times. also see if there is a factory extension loose. chrysler and ford sometimes use one and it can get loose. can't recall seeing it on a gm product before.
ryomanx is offline   Reply With Quote