LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 41 LS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enough

Default Cutting a Bazooka tube down in size??

Has anyone tryed to cut a bazooka down to a smaller size , it looks very eazy, to cut off the back pannel and grind it smooth to reglue it , than cut the tube to the size you want and glue back on the rear pannel.

now if this was done would the sound change??

the reason i ask is pound for pound nothing produces as much bass as a tube, i heard manny clean systems, not to manny could out bass a pair of 10" tubes,even some systems with 4 subs, and i havent even heard what the 12" tube sounds like yett, i just ordered one for my S-10 extended cab.

My new project is a 87 Buick Ttype (Grand national) Regal,

I have two brand new 12" Boston acoustic Pro's , these are the older 12.5 series they were made from 2000-2003 i think, they are 2ohm single voice coil subs,

I know these are SQ subs and in a sealed boxes they wont even come close to a set of tubes , if i put the bostons in a ported box they wont sound that great and the ported box has to be much bigger.

I want to install the subs in the side rear fender weels in the trunk of course facing in, it will be the cleanest place to install the subs and leave me with the most space. But it would have to be 2 smallish seald boxes and i dont think it will give me the bass output i want, but i know two 12" bazooka's would defently,

Now of course bazooka tubes wont fit in the rear fender weels but if i cut them in half they would, the 12"s are about 22" long if i cut them down to 12-15 inches they would fit pretty good, and if i bought a buick carpet trunk kit i could hide the tubs and leave just the front exposed, i think it would be a clean look,

But not sure if the tubes would still hit low in a shortened tube

what do u guys think??
LS2Ttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 75 brownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to brownmoses

Default Re: Cutting a Bazooka tube down in size??

I think this is a recipe for disaster. I think you need to find out what type and volume the enclosure needs to suit the sub best. if you have this one http://www.bostonacoustics.com/asset.../CarSubMan.pdf
you need to have a sealed 1 cu ft enclosure. the manual didnt even list ported specs. id stick with that.

IDQ12v2, ctx65 coax, Cadence txa-6004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWiggins View Post
Well here's a big old loaf pinched in your corn flakes:
brownmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 41 LS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enoughLS2Ttype will become famous soon enough

yeah i have teh 12.5 Pros , the bostons dont work well in ported boxes, in seald boxes they work very good, but dont have the bass output i am after, although i never gave them enough power, Now i have two Alpine 1507 monsters , so with one of those at 2ohms each the boston's would get 500 watts each

why do you think this is a recipe for disaster ,, cutting down a bazooka tube??
Old 02-17-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 BEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enough

Don't cut your tubes. When you cut the tube you're also reducing port length, which has to be just right. It's also unlikely that a different sub than the one provided by SAS will work well within the tube, even uncut, as ported enclosures are tricky and again, have to be just right. Not the best idea, in my opinion.

Have stuff. Makes noise.
BEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVER View Post
Don't cut your tubes. When you cut the tube you're also reducing port length, which has to be just right. It's also unlikely that a different sub than the one provided by SAS will work well within the tube, even uncut, as ported enclosures are tricky and again, have to be just right. Not the best idea, in my opinion.

Realy!!! my friend years back blew his stock SAS 10" sub in his 10" tube, he bought a new Kicker comp and it worked even better
Old 02-17-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 BEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2Ttype View Post
Realy!!! my friend years back blew his stock SAS 10" sub in his 10" tube, he bought a new Kicker comp and it worked even better
Really. You're friend got really lucky. That being said, I did say that it was "unlikey"" another sub would work well, but not impossible. Either your friend did his homework and selected a sub with TS parameters similar to those of the SAS sub, or the proverbial blind squirrel found a nut.

Have stuff. Makes noise.
BEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 69 el_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enough

If you change the volume of your tube you will indeed alter the sound. Your Boston subs in properly sized sealed enclosures would be a much better choice than altering a prefabricated enclosure. If you are not interested in building enclosures and output is what you are mostly concerned with many options exist. Toby makes bandpass sub systems that perform admirably and don't take up too much space.

Welcome to Toby Corp. of America
el_bob-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #8

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVER View Post
Really. You're friend got really lucky. That being said, I did say that it was "unlikey"" another sub would work well, but not impossible. Either your friend did his homework and selected a sub with TS parameters similar to those of the SAS sub, or the proverbial blind squirrel found a nut.
Not sure he did any homework, he did go to a shopp, and they recomended a Kicker comp sub, they said it works well in the bazooka tube, I would say it was very close , the kicker handled a little more power so he was able to push it a little more ,

The only sealed box speaker was the old school rockford punch series, My friend bought 2 small truck boxes from me, he installed 2 10" punch subs and put them behind the seat of his S-10 it hit very hard , i was very impressed. My other friend had a expensive high end system built by Parkway for his maxamia in the trunk they installed two 10" punch subs in two separate truck looking boxes ths were on a angle facing each other , very good looking and super clean, it hit pretty hard , but IMOP he needed 12" and to step up to the rockford pros, he had plenty of power for each sub , ithink it was either 500-600 watts each, in the rear deck they up graded to some kind of cup speaker , it was almost 8" i thing 7.5 something like that , they worked very well for midrange and mid bass, in the front he had a set of boston pros with tweeters mounted up midwat int he doors
Old 02-17-2011   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 75 brownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to brownmoses

You strike me as the type who thinks a subwoofer that works well is one that hits hard.
that can be one way of looking at it. there are many other factors though depending on your goal. 1. do you just want it loud? 2. do you want it to sound good? 3. sound good and loud?
if number one, port the B.A. and make it louder, but it wont sound good. if number two, build the right box and install the subs. it might be loud enough for you.

IDQ12v2, ctx65 coax, Cadence txa-6004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWiggins View Post
Well here's a big old loaf pinched in your corn flakes:
brownmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 151 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

You can make your own tubes out of sonotubes and they come in various diameters. Usually people here can tell you various good subs that will work for you, if you can tell them what you want. Because they have used them all. Ported will have more output for sure, with a sub that can work that way. It does not have to sound worse, all depends on how you tune it more than what sub it is. Ported will be larger most of the time. Tubes are way lighter, well sonotubes are the bazookas I've seen are not that light. I have three bazooka 10s but they are out of a bazooka dual ported box not a tube, they came in some kit I don't think they are real high power. They have scratches on them but work fine so I tossed them on a shelf.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

Check it out , i hooked up my new 12" bazooka in my S-10 Today, I powered it with a Alpine MRV T-757 , i set the amp up in bridged mono mode , the T757 should push 300-400 watts into 4 ohms, Guess what the speaker smoked and burnt out whill i was going through a few tracks and tuning her in,

I have two New boston 12" 12.5 Pros, so i took the blown SAS out and screwed down a boston Pro, Hooked her up , turned off all the filters and EQ on the amp and set my head unit up with X-over at 80-100htz and the sub out put down,

Tube with the boston sound realy good, it actually pounds,

IDK what happened but that SAS sub is junk, what cheap speakers they use ,Really what garbage,

The AMP was set up with the Low pass filter and i was adjusting crossover/Slop/and sub volume , so maybe both the head unit and amp X-overs were fighting each other IDK but i turned all the filters on the amp to off and just used the head units adjusment , works great.

IMOP the T757 is way underrated , it is 100x100 at 2 channels into 4 ohms and 200x200 into 2 ohms, bridged mono it is 400 watts at 4 ohms, the boston sub is a 2 ohm so that means the boston is pulling even more power from the T757, Alpine only rates the T757 at 4ohms in bridged mono mode, but she seems to be handeling it fine she does get warm tho