Why 10's or 12's for midbass?? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to sqguy

Default Why 10's or 12's for midbass??

Can someone clear something up for me?,I notice in the old horn install the would used either a 10 or 12 sub for Midas's,I thought the 6 or 8 incher played that role??
sqguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Default Re: Why 10's or 12's for midbass??

because why not?

but really.. more output

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 XSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enoughXSIV SPL will become famous soon enough

10s and 12s can certainly handle this role better than smaller drivers. The answer you may be looking for is whether the door or floor can accommodate this particular type of setup.
XSIV SPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 93 claydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of light

Who says in horn installs only? I have 10s mated to a 5" midrange and a tweet!

Like skizer said above tho.......it's all about output. Air displacement is where output comes from, and a 10 or 12 simply moves more air than a 6 or 8....
claydo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydo View Post
Who says in horn installs only? I have 10s mated to a 5" midrange and a tweet!

Like skizer said above tho.......it's all about output. Air displacement is where output comes from, and a 10 or 12 simply moves more air than a 6 or 8....
Erin is doing something better... A 12" to a 2.5" mid

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enoughsqguy will become famous soon enough

Oh ok wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers was just curious as to why folks were going this route with horns
Old 12-29-2015   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqguy View Post
Oh ok wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers was just curious as to why folks were going this route with horns
well you kinda need the extra output with horns considering most horns have a sensitivity around 108+ db

Old 12-29-2015   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

To put it simply, in order to keep a good coherence and a dynamic system horns are known for, it simply is better to use a high efficiency driver to pair with horns.

High efficiency and low frequencies don't mix very well. You either have a 6" driver that plays low well but has a sensitivity of 84dB 1w/1m or you use a 6" driver with a sensitivity of 100dB to pair with a 110dB+ horn that will only play 125Hz-160Hz and up coz it won't let it cross below that. Then you need a driver to keep up with that - a high efficiency midbass (10" and up).

A few decades ago, this was even worse, small driver just couldn't play low, so you had to use big drivers 8" and up in order to keep up with the rest of the system.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Old 12-29-2015   #9

DIYMA freshman

I drive a 96 Accord sedan,if I went with horns where would be a good place to install some 10's or 12's since I don't have that rear side space like some other cars do
Old 12-29-2015   #10
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
I drive a 96 Accord sedan,if I went with horns where would be a good place to install some 10's or 12's since I don't have that rear side space like some other cars do
kick panels are almost always the best option

Old 12-30-2015   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 I800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of light

rear deck midbass?

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #12
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
rear deck midbass?
well considering this is the HLCD section and hlcd's are usually a 2 way system crossed around 1.5k~.. thats not such a good idea lol

Old 12-30-2015   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 I800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
well considering this is the HLCD section and hlcd's are usually a 2 way system crossed around 1.5k~.. thats not such a good idea lol
I keep thinking 3-way. Guess it all depends on how the mid-range is covered.

hrmm.

The bigger the horn the lower you can cross Start at the bumper?

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #14

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
To put it simply, in order to keep a good coherence and a dynamic system horns are known for, it simply is better to use a high efficiency driver to pair with horns.

High efficiency and low frequencies don't mix very well. You either have a 6" driver that plays low well but has a sensitivity of 84dB 1w/1m or you use a 6" driver with a sensitivity of 100dB to pair with a 110dB+ horn that will only play 125Hz-160Hz and up coz it won't let it cross below that. Then you need a driver to keep up with that - a high efficiency midbass (10" and up).

A few decades ago, this was even worse, small driver just couldn't play low, so you had to use big drivers 8" and up in order to keep up with the rest of the system.

Kelvin
this.

HE drivers generally trade off the efficiency for low frequency extension/excursion. so to make up for it, folks use a larger driver in HE systems than they would typically use vs a mid-efficiency system.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 92 niko084 will become famous soon enoughniko084 will become famous soon enoughniko084 will become famous soon enoughniko084 will become famous soon enoughniko084 will become famous soon enoughniko084 will become famous soon enough

In PA systems it's common to see a 10-15" driver used for midbass, how much output do you want and how much room do you have are the questions.

Obviously the 15 used as a midbass is not the same woofer or the same enclosure you'd use for 30hz.
niko084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #16

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

right. I use a 15" HE (98dB @ 1w/1m) woofer in my HT and still cross it at about 80hz. It mates to the CD/horn at about 550hz or so.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Last edited by ErinH; 12-30-2015 at 12:46 PM..
Old 12-30-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 153 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
right. I use a 15" HE (98dB @ 1w/1m) woofer in my HT and still cross it at about 80hz.
if the woofer is 15" how big are the subs?

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
because why not?

but really.. more output
less movement of VC out of magnetic gap= less distortion.

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #19

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
if the woofer is 15" how big are the subs?
I use standard sensitivity subs. SI HT18, to be exact.

Again, HE woofers are a different breed. In my case, to get the low end for HT purposes out of a HE driver, you'd be talking at least an 18" woofer and a very large ported enclosure. When I was considering going with an HE subwoofer - one that would play flat in to the low 20's - I was spec'ing out 21" B&C woofers in 5-6ft^3 enclosures. I decided that was ludicrous and I went with the HT18's. It's good enough. Ideally I'd add a few more subs but I'm happy with the output of the current setup.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 12-31-2015   #20

DIYMA freshman

Well this would be my setup USD BC300 wave guides Beyma 8g40 miss JBL 15" subs now if I wanted to add Midbass where would be the best place to place them front door or rear door in my 96 Accord sedan??
Old 12-31-2015   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

In front of you for sure

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
Old 12-31-2015   #22

DIYMA freshman

Well thats where the confusion lies for me,every old school horn set had the midbass installed behind them in the rear side panel,can anyone explain why??
Old 12-31-2015   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
Stereo shop in denver
Position:
Install Manager/ Goofball

Rep Power: 58 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well this would be my setup USD BC300 wave guides Beyma 8g40 miss JBL 15" subs now if I wanted to add Midbass where would be the best place to place them front door or rear door in my 96 Accord sedan??
Your 8g40 Will work just fine down to 125hz 12tbfor octave, so that roll off will get you into the 80s no problem I would just do your waveguides the g40 and the 15 and that's it

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Well thats where the confusion lies for me,every old school horn set had the midbass installed behind them in the rear side panel,can anyone explain why??
You won't be using a dedicated midrange, those with rear midbasses do.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
Old 12-31-2015   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 250 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Mainly the USD cars had midbasses behind the driver.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement