Should i use this 21" sub in my HE system? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 StabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enough

Default Should i use this 21" sub in my HE system?

Hi

I am planning my HE system and slowly buying components. The system will include ES fullbodies, Beyma 8G40 in ported enclosures and i haven't still decided on a sub.

Some time ago i bought B&C 21SW152 on a whim and never used, so i thought maybe it would be a good candidate for a subwoofer in my new system.

Here are the specs:

I modeled in WinISD. Below are the graphs showing the SPL response with 700W applied.

Yellow graph shows the response in 60 liters sealed box (2,119 ft^3). That is about the volume i am going to get if i Build the box in a spare tire well. Purple graph shows the response of a vented box with tuning frequency at 32Hz. Both sims have cabin gain applied by the means of Linkqitz transform i estimated for my SUV (f0=56Hz, fp=15Hz, both Qs at 0,707), lowpass filter at 80Hz and a highpass filter at 80Hz.

Thinner orange and blue lines show the response of vented and sealed boxes respectively without the cabin gain.

Gray line is JL audio 12W6V2 in a vented enclosure tuned at 22Hz. Included for comparison.

Do you guys think i will be satisfied with this speaker? I used JL audio 12W6V2 in my previous install in a vented enclosure tuned at 22Hz and it played really low. I liked the character of its sound and the low notes it was able to play. But i think it lacked in 50-80Hz region. And i want this one from B&C to cover the full range from 25 to 80Hz and do that with authority.

Am i on the right track?
StabMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 129 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Should i use this 21" sub in my HE system?

With 3 times the static displacement of the JL it will have more output everywhere. B&C Build a good product and I think this will do the job very well.
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 StabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enough

Thanks for chiming in, Eric.

Do you think the suboptimal box volume i can provide for this driver won't be as huge limiting factor?

Old 01-12-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 129 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

The transfer function of the two systems will be drastically different with the larger system having far more LF increase due to transfer function. If the enclosure lacks the lowest octave you can always vent the rear wave outside the vehcile for a IB system.

Not sure how the modelling in WinISD looks compared to the real world but unless you have a subsonic I guarantee your bottom end will not roll off as depicted is may be at most down 6 dB at 10Hz from 20 and problably less. I use LEAP and it doesnt model like the graph you have in your post.

If you are after SQ type of bass even with high levels with a deep extended botom end I am prety confident it will achieve what you are after and especially if IB.
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 115 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

I think either the sealed or ported would do you just fine, I'd lean towards the ported because I tend to like the sound of vented better, but the sealed box would be solid too since you have so much cone area.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #6

DIYMA freshman

Well, i guess i will try sealed, then ported and then try IB as a last resort. But something is telling me that i will be satisfied even with sealed.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement