Best 6.5" option? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Days Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 110 enigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enough

Default Best 6.5" option?

So I have had my ES Pro Horns in my car for the last year with very few issues and alot of joy and experimented with several mid bass options but im always curious about something different. Goals of my setup has always been a low key almost "stock" with great sound reproduction and range, hence why I went with the horns.

Originally, I was using my full body horns with a pair of Image Dynamics XS 69 but they wouldn't fit in my doors without serious mods and still not an option so sold them and purchased the XS57 5x7" mid basses and loved them, matched up well and sounded great. Unfortunately, my mid basses started to make some rude noises and had to send them back to Sonic Electronic for warranty claim. So next I picked up a pair of old school JBL 2118h 8" mid basses and ran them in homemade mdf kick panels in my car. (off the same amp, a Digital Design S4 (100w x 2 and 200w x 2 all at 4ohm). Definitely a big difference, and sounded amazing together but the lack of space in the kick panels on both sides of the car left something to be desired (though I imagine fiberglass kicks might be better).

Looking though some older threads I saw theses which have been mention several times

Eighteen Sound Speakers - Eighteen Sound 6ND430 - Eighteen Sound 6ND430 6.5" woofer has a lightweight neodymium magnet. Eighteen Sound 6ND430 6.5" subwoofers are available here. 18 Sound speaker components.

If i wanted to mount these in my doors sealed, would it be a good option?

If i did, how would the fair say from 100hz to 1200hz? bandpass with a set of the Full Body Pro Horns?

I do admit, I have been considering upgrading to some custom fiberglass work and either doing a set of Beyma 8G40s 8" in custom ported fiberglass door panels or a pair of JBL 2206 12" midbass drivers in a fiberglass door panel, and upgrade to the Ultra compression drivers, but I think for right now since my car is my daily and I have a girlfriend with 3 kids, id like to keep it as practical as possible.

As always, any and all opinions are greatly appreciated thanks!
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Best 6.5" option?

i liked the 6nd430s, pretty potent drivers.

i've got a used pair for sale if you'd like.

nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nadams5755 For This Useful Post:
enigma (4 Days Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 149 T3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
So I have had my ES Pro Horns in my car for the last year with very few issues and alot of joy and experimented with several mid bass options but im always curious about something different. Goals of my setup has always been a low key almost "stock" with great sound reproduction and range, hence why I went with the horns.

Originally, I was using my full body horns with a pair of Image Dynamics XS 69 but they wouldn't fit in my doors without serious mods and still not an option so sold them and purchased the XS57 5x7" mid basses and loved them, matched up well and sounded great. Unfortunately, my mid basses started to make some rude noises and had to send them back to Sonic Electronic for warranty claim. So next I picked up a pair of old school JBL 2118h 8" mid basses and ran them in homemade mdf kick panels in my car. (off the same amp, a Digital Design S4 (100w x 2 and 200w x 2 all at 4ohm). Definitely a big difference, and sounded amazing together but the lack of space in the kick panels on both sides of the car left something to be desired (though I imagine fiberglass kicks might be better).

Looking though some older threads I saw theses which have been mention several times

Eighteen Sound Speakers - Eighteen Sound 6ND430 - Eighteen Sound 6ND430 6.5" woofer has a lightweight neodymium magnet. Eighteen Sound 6ND430 6.5" subwoofers are available here. 18 Sound speaker components.

If i wanted to mount these in my doors sealed, would it be a good option?

If i did, how would the fair say from 100hz to 1200hz? bandpass with a set of the Full Body Pro Horns?

I do admit, I have been considering upgrading to some custom fiberglass work and either doing a set of Beyma 8G40s 8" in custom ported fiberglass door panels or a pair of JBL 2206 12" midbass drivers in a fiberglass door panel, and upgrade to the Ultra compression drivers, but I think for right now since my car is my daily and I have a girlfriend with 3 kids, id like to keep it as practical as possible.

As always, any and all opinions are greatly appreciated thanks!
There are 2 other drivers I'd look at.

Ciare 6.38NDW - Ciare 6.38NDW is a 6.5 inch lightweight neodymium speaker for all mid-bass speaker systems- Ciare Speakers - Ciare 6.38NDW 6.5 inch lighweight neodymium speaker for bass guitar speaker systems. Ciare 6.38NDW 6.5 inch mid-bass speakers

Beyma Speakers - Beyma 6P200Fe 6.5" woofer - Beyma 6P200Fe 400 watt 6.55" speaker for compact vented speaker applications. Beyma 6P200Fe 6.5" speakers and other Beyma speakers here.

Both have more xmax than you typically see in pro audio drivers, along with the 18 sounds especially in this size and they aren't overly sensitive where they will need large amounts of shaping to get lower bass output (I'm sure you'll still need some due to the qts/fs, like most pro audio drivers.

I'm sure any option will be better than the ID 5x7 set and I was a fan of the xs69, I ran them for quite a while myself, although I did end up having a issue similar to yours. The Beyma are likely more rugged set both mechanically and thermally. Waterproof cone and dual mirrored spiders.

No set should have no problems with a 1200hz crossover, with the beyma in particular you may even want to experiment with higher xover points mating to the horn. It has shorting rings which lower midrange distortion quite a bit, you may like it's sound better than the horns in the lower midrange.

Their is a neo version of the beyma too if weight is an issue, but in a door I'd just as soon use ferrite as you dont' save depth in this case.
T3mpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 3 Days Ago   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 49 truckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enough

Isn't Eric Stevens/Stevens Audio coming out with a 6.5 and 8 soon. You might check with him on a timeline. Could be a really good option.
truckguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

I don't think Stevens Audio exists.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 49 truckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
I don't think Stevens Audio exists.
There is a Stevens Audio FB page. I messaged him back in March and he responded fairly fast. It exists. I didn't feel comfortable saying when his products are available which is why said the OP should check with him. Release dates always change.
truckguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement