Cheaper than ScanSpeak - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 193 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Default Cheaper than ScanSpeak

18Sound and B&C get all the love, but SB Acoustics has been quietly making some drivers that are borderline "prosound."

Here's one I like a lot:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-4-6.5-woofer/

Here's why I like it:

- it costs $58 and the build quality is comparable to my $150 B&C woofers. Admittedly, B&C gets a little bit louder and if you're chasing that last 5%, it's a good choice. But if you don't want to spend $300 on a pair of midranges, the SB is a no-brainer

- I use a lot of really cheap woofers in my horn projects, drivers that cost $20-$30. The reason I can get away with that is because they're horn loaded, I'm only using them over 2-3 octaves. If you want a driver with wide bandwidth it's generally going to cost more

- I've never seen a single bad driver from SB Acoustics. They're like Tymphany and Scan Speak, they really don't have any bad products

- Build quality is killer

- if you're into high efficiency, these woofers are quite good: 92dB

The downside:

- Like most efficient paper woofers, they have a rising response. Don't use these "full-range" or without a low pass. The cone isn't treated, so these aren't a good choice for a humid environment. Due to the low QTS, I'd personally recommend putting these in a very small sealed enclosure, but YMMV

If you have big doors, build a vented box and stick it in the door

If you're into home audio, these would be insane in a vented box or a front-loaded horn

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 213 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Default Re: Cheaper than ScanSpeak

you do realize these get recommended left and right here, right?

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
rton20s (3 Days Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 143 DeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting this Patrick. It makes sense.
However, I have a question.
What spec do you look at to determine the bandwidth a driver will play? I believe Le has to do with the upper frequency range correct? So, I would think a driver with a lowish Le would be able to play fairly high. Like around 2k Hz for a midbass/midrange driver.
DeLander is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

funny, when I read the title, I thought someone was asking what would be a good cheaper alternative..like usually is asked on here..and sb was what my brain said I'd be typing in a few minutes..

if you want a project with cheap woofers, tell me what I can do with eight dvc 5 woofer/mini subs from the large apple boombox? I also have the 3s lol..

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 193 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
you do realize these get recommended left and right here, right?
I posted this specifically because someone was asking me in email

I get tons of email and it's generally easier for me to post something, and then when the question comes up again I can just point them in the direction of my post

IE, it's more efficient to make one post for multiple people then to answer every email I receive

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Bateman For This Useful Post:
rton20s (3 Days Ago), SQLnovice (1 Week Ago), sqnut (1 Week Ago), Victor_inox (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 213 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

IE, it's more efficient to make one post for multiple people then to answer every email I receive

very true

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLander View Post
Thanks for posting this Patrick. It makes sense.
However, I have a question.
What spec do you look at to determine the bandwidth a driver will play? I believe Le has to do with the upper frequency range correct? So, I would think a driver with a lowish Le would be able to play fairly high. Like around 2k Hz for a midbass/midrange driver.
I'd say that bandwidth is determined by a combination of the following:

3) size of the cone; smaller cones can play to a higher frequency because they beam at a higher frequency. When a cone 'beams', it focuses the energy into a narrow beam (hence the name) and due to that, it limits the bandwidth. IE, if it was possible to create a 3/4" driver with a lot of xmax, that would be ideal to cover a wide bandwidth. (This is why cel phones use such small drivers.)

2) A cone that's poorly damped will have peaks and dips that limit it's usefulness.

1) An inductor in series with a driver will create a first order low pass. The inductance in the voice coil of a speaker does the exact same thing.

For the most part, I don't use large drivers, I prefer to achieve the same level of output with arrays. But that's a contentious subject around here, I know most prefer using one large driver. It is definitely easier that way.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 143 DeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enoughDeLander will become famous soon enough

Ok. That explains some about induction and I understand beaming. But, what determines a Speakers damping? Which specs and are high or low values better?
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Ok. That explains some about induction and I understand beaming. But, what determines a Speakers damping? Which specs and are high or low values better?
Damping is basically anything applied to the cone to combat ringing. Paper and aluminum ring; damping can reduce that ringing, but at the expense of lower efficiency. Polypropylene and the various plastic cone formulations are inherently damped. Arguably the ideal solution is some type of composite. Some popular composites are kevlar+paper, foam+fiberglass, foam+carbon fiber, cardboard+fiberglass aka "nomex", etc.

Everything depends on your application.

Here's an example:

I use a lot of Pyle speakers, which are commonly considered garbage, just real cheap crappy speakers. The reason that they work for me is because Pyle sells a lot of Chinese clones of drivers from the seventies and eighties. For instance, I use one of their 5" sealed back midrange speakers. Those type of drivers were incredibly common thirty or forty years ago, but nowadays they're really difficult to find. They're efficient and they're cheap but they don't play very low. You can find similar drivers from Audax and JBL, but they've been out of production for at least twenty years, and even when they were new they cost 4x as much as the Pyle midranges.

The opposite end of this spectrum are the speakers that Dynaudio sells. They have very low efficiency and they're well damped. To compensate for the low efficiency, they have very high power handling. Which isn't cheap.

So... It all depends on your app. It's pretty much impossible to find a speaker with high efficiency, high bandwidth, and excellent damping. Some of the really good prosound speakers get close to that ideal, with very careful amounts of damping on a speaker with a lot of motor to raise the efficiency. B&C 8NDL51 is an obvious example. It costs six times as much as the driver from Pyle. The drivers on the bleeding edge of this equation aren't cheap.

IMHO, the drivers from Faital and Beyma that cost $70-$100 fall somewhere in the middle of this equation.

I <3 buying drivers when they're OEM, that's one way to have your cake and eat it too, as long as you can live with the limited selection. For instance, you can buy B&C and Celestion drivers as OEM from QSC.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10

DIYMA freshman

https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-p...oofer--292-204

Hope this link works.
It seems from looking at the specs that this could be a good, budget mid for a 2-way mounted in doors factory locations. Wouldn't it work pretty well from about 80-2kHz ?
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-p...oofer--292-204

Hope this link works.
It seems from looking at the specs that this could be a good, budget mid for a 2-way mounted in doors factory locations. Wouldn't it work pretty well from about 80-2kHz ?
unfortunately they dont provide any graphs , so its a major gamble. TS parameters only tell you how a driver will before near its resonant frequency in various enclosures, and tell you which enclosure its best suited for. basing it off that companys history, i wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

I think I've got the five inch version of that in my garage

Give me 15 min, I'll post a response graph

Old 1 Week Ago   #13

DIYMA freshman

Or this.
https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1088
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

I posted this specifically because someone was asking me in email

I get tons of email and it's generally easier for me to post something, and then when the question comes up again I can just point them in the direction of my post

I can relate, great point.

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
That's a screaming deal

But don't buy them I want to get some before they're sold out lol

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

OK, here's the frequency response of the 5" version of that Pyle woofer that you posted. This is a really rushed measurement, I literally stuck the woofer on a pole and measured it in my garage. (Putting it on a pole gets you a cleaner measurement, it eliminates the early reflections. A full baffle would provide the best measurement but I'm not cutting a baffle to do one measurement )

Here's what I see in this measurement:

1) Frequency extension is good, this woofer will have no issues mating to any dome tweeter out there

2) There's a big peak at 400Hz. This is because I measured the sealed back version of the woofer. If you're using one that's NOT a sealed back, it should play lower

3) There's some nasty bumps in the response. Part of this is the woofer itself, but most of it is because the woofer isn't baffled. A circular baffle is basically the worst baffle of all, and when you measure a woofer with a baffle, the frame itself basically acts as a circular baffle.

4) Distortion performance isn't great, but it's not bad either. I use these things in sets of four on Synergy horns to generate big SPL. In an array, the distortion performance is no problem.

Here's what I measured:
https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-p...river--292-200

For comparison's sake, here's Tymphany's 3.5" woofer mounted in a spherical enclosure. This is the reason that my thread on spherical enclosures is my most popular thread of all time - THEY WORK. The combination of this cheap ass woofer and a nice enclosure is a giant killer. This combo costs less than $15.

Here's a pic:

Here's the woofer:
https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1062

Having said all that, there's still no free lunch. The Pyle isn't as low distortion as the Tymphany, but it's still cheaper. And due to the small size of the Tymphany, it's best suited to midrange duty, unless you use a bunch of them in an array.

Old 1 Week Ago   #17

DIYMA freshman

Yeah. I saw the thread with the midrange in the "egg".
Well, I guess the Pyle is out, but it does look like the Peerless would be a good choice right?
Actually, the Peerless HDS and SDS lines both look promising to me.
What say ye wise people?
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

There was a time when Pyle was higher end. That time has long gone
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 253 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I run a pair of those in my front doors. Incredible for the price paid. I'm running them from 70-2300 with LR4 (24db) crossovers on both ends. Since I have an insanely clean subwoofer in there now I'm going to push the highpass up because they do get to moving. The cannons in the 1812 overture...THE REAL CANNONS...I thought they were going to launch through the door panel and swap sides! I'll check the drivers side in the morning to make sure it isn't hurt. Passenger side should be fine too if the drivers side is. Safelite will have my door apart anyway when they replace the broken window (neighbors yard service slung a rock with a weedeater and broke it).

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream tn1.1200d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, Alumapro Alusonic 12 ported, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
I run a pair of those in my front doors. Incredible for the price paid. I'm running them from 70-2300 with LR4 (24db) crossovers on both ends. Since I have an insanely clean subwoofer in there now I'm going to push the highpass up because they do get to moving. The cannons in the 1812 overture...THE REAL CANNONS...I thought they were going to launch through the door panel and swap sides! I'll check the drivers side in the morning to make sure it isn't hurt. Passenger side should be fine too if the drivers side is. Safelite will have my door apart anyway when they replace the broken window (neighbors yard service slung a rock with a weedeater and broke it).
I do like your choice of music... I tested my new amplifier and forgot moment where cannons start, I also thought 800 watt JBL pro gonna pop. dynamics is absolutely insane on that one. interesting how many sapphire cutters they burned while producing that master disk...

Last edited by Victor_inox; 1 Week Ago at 05:13 PM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Is that the orchestra one?
Old 1 Week Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
Is that the orchestra one?
THis one compressed to shit and save at any level but you`ll get an idea.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Around 13:00

Old 1 Week Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
THis one compressed to shit and save at any level but you`ll get an idea.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Around 13:00
14:10

Old 1 Week Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
14:10
Correct but you'd have a better idea If you listen a bit more prior to that.

Old 1 Week Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I got it on Spotify. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement