Clarion NX706 (optical out DD) for $550 Amazon Prime - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016   #1

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Default Clarion NX706 (optical out DD) for $550 Amazon Prime

*Thanks to bbfoto for posting this up in another thread. Just wanted to bring it to more public attention here.

Link:
Clarion NX706 $550.75 through Amazon Prime

That's about $100 cheaper than SonicElectronix right now.

Headunit supports hi-res and has optical output over all sources. I tried it out but didn't care for it this past summer but I've seen others say it's had a firmware update since then that has made it a lot better. You can find more on this thread:
The Clarion NX706 is out!

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log

Last edited by ErinH; 12-12-2016 at 01:58 PM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Clarion NX706 (optical out DD) for $550 Amazon Prime

Thanks Erin!

It looks like Sonic dropped the price just recently to $649...I believe it had been $699 until sometime yesterday. SonicElectronix also give you a Free Dash Kit, Wiring Harness, and XM Tuner + $70 Gift Card. So that might be a decent deal, too compared to Amazon if you don't have to pay sales tax at Sonic and want/need those extra goodies.

Crutchfield has some great freebies and extra perks as well, but their starting price is still $999! So the Amazon Prime and Sonic deals are still the best I think...that I have found so far.

Happy Holidays!
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough

That $440 "used" NX706 from Amazon prime looks very tempting also.

Last edited by 1fishman; 12-13-2016 at 06:50 AM..
1fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fishman View Post
That $440 "used" NX706 from Amazon prime looks very tempting also.
If anyone buys the used one, just make sure that you check to make sure that it has the latest firmware update. You can download the update from Clarion's web site and use the memory card slot behind the front panel on the NX706 to apply the update.
Old 12-13-2016   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 133 theothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enoughtheothermike will become famous soon enough

the sonic deal is better in that you get it for 650 with the xm adapter 3 months service off and a 70$ visa card + install accessories. because amazon is charging tax on the purchase of 40$ which means its really 590

Hope this makes sense

Current Setup: 2013 VW CC TO BE DETERMINED!
theothermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 109 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

i think rton20 was looking for one of these.

jtaudioacc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Holy crap, my NX706 just showed up from Amazon via USPS Parcel Select eVS! I had just ordered it last night.

Just a heads-up, mine was shipped bare...just a shipping label slapped on the OE box and my last name "Sharpie'd" on the side of the OE Clarion box (I hope that this is not a problem if/when I want to return it). The NX706 was NOT shipped inside of another cardboard box for protection. I expect more from Amazon, especially when paying for "PRIME" services.

Luckily, none of the corners are dented and the box looks to be in perfect shape, but wow. I would be worried for some people who may have problems with doorstep or porch package thieves, especially around the holiday season.
Old 12-13-2016   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 11 AyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enough

I was wondering about that . There is an option in the shipping screen where you can select to have it shipped in a box. I didn't check it
AyOne is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyOne View Post
I was wondering about that . There is an option in the shipping screen where you can select to have it shipped in a box. I didn't check it
D@mn, I didn't even see that check box. Good eye! I must've been too excited and looked right past it when ordering. Luckily it arrived safely. Hope yours does, too!
Old 12-15-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 137 illnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enough

so what Amps have optical inputs???

98 Impreza 2.5rs projector car.
Headunit: Premier DEH-P780mp, Front Stage:CDT Eurosport 4 wayFS Amp: Cadence TXA 6004 Sub Amp:TXA 1000D Subs:CDT CL12 Subs. laying around: PPI DCX-730
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza View Post
so what Amps have optical inputs???
Most here will be using the Digital Output of the NX706 to feed the Inputs of a DSP/Processor. The Helix DSP Pro/DSP Pro MK II and one or two other processors can accept the Native 24-Bit/96kHz output of the NX706 (providing you are playing a 24/96 audio file) and do the DSP natively in 24/96 without having to Downsample or further convert the digital bits.

Clarion has it's own All Digital Car Audio System or "Full Digital Sound" with Digital DSP and Speakers with Digital Amplifiers built-in. The NX706 was designed to be the main source unit for this system. See:

Clarion U.S.A | Clarion Releases Audiophile Grade Automotive Source Unit with Built-in GPS Navigation

Clarion Full Digital Sound System with Receiver Includes NX706 GPS receiver, a Z3 processor with two tweeters, two Z7 6-3/4" speakers, and a Z25W 10" subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

There are just a few amplifiers on the market that accept Digital Input, and I believe Audison is one of the few manufacturers with these products. Check out their Prima and Voce lines.
Old 12-17-2016   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 21 ANDRESVELASCO will become famous soon enoughANDRESVELASCO will become famous soon enoughANDRESVELASCO will become famous soon enoughANDRESVELASCO will become famous soon enoughANDRESVELASCO will become famous soon enoughANDRESVELASCO will become famous soon enough

Clarion Z3 Dsp is now on sale at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F2...OuL&ref=plSrch

(very Good price point if you consider it is dcr and hi-end tweeters included!)
ANDRESVELASCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough

Sonic's dropped there price again. Today it's $599 and you get a $30 coupon to use with it = $569, no tax & free install gear.
1fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2016   #14

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've ever seen a headunit come down in price so quickly. I'm not saying there hasn't been. I'm just saying I can't recall it.

Makes me wonder what's up... maybe trying to clear out inventory across the board? Maybe a sign of things to come in CES (i.e.; an updated version)? *shrugs*

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 12-21-2016   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fishman View Post
Sonic's dropped there price again. Today it's $599 and you get a $30 coupon to use with it = $569, no tax & free install gear.
Nice! Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a headunit come down in price so quickly. I'm not saying there hasn't been. I'm just saying I can't recall it.

Makes me wonder what's up... maybe trying to clear out inventory across the board? Maybe a sign of things to come in CES (i.e.; an updated version)? *shrugs*
I kind of had the same thought in the back of my mind. Though, it seems a bit soon on a manufacturer's roadmap to be releasing an updated model for this type of unique category or segment of the market. Perhaps the demand and/or competition for a fully-featured Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible unit (or who knows what other reasons) were too strong to ignore. CES is weeks away so it will be interesting to see if anything is announced, debuted, or on display.

However, I noticed that Crutchfield has not yet followed suit by lowering their price substantially (or at all). In the past, that has been a telling sign that a product is either being discontinued or that an update is imminent.

I for one would sure like to see these head units start shipping with higher-resolution, higher-quality, capacitive touchscreens that are more in line with smartphone displays that have been available in even relatively inexpensive smartphones for years. I would pay extra for that, even though I don't feel that I should have to given the proliferation of low-cost, high-quality displays these days. You can buy a very nice, full-featured Android 7" tablet for well under $200. Think about all of the electronic circuitry and technology that is packed into a tiny package in a tablet as compared to a head unit. The only main difference is the mechanicals and power amplifier section that's in a HU.

Last edited by bbfoto; 12-21-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Old 12-22-2016   #16

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
I kind of had the same thought in the back of my mind. Though, it seems a bit soon on a manufacturer's roadmap to be releasing an updated model for this type of unique category or segment of the market. Perhaps the demand and/or competition for a fully-featured Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible unit (or who knows what other reasons) were too strong to ignore. CES is weeks away so it will be interesting to see if anything is announced, debuted, or on display.

However, I noticed that Crutchfield has not yet followed suit by lowering their price substantially (or at all). In the past, that has been a telling sign that a product is either being discontinued or that an update is imminent.

I for one would sure like to see these head units start shipping with higher-resolution, higher-quality, capacitive touchscreens that are more in line with smartphone displays that have been available in even relatively inexpensive smartphones for years. I would pay extra for that, even though I don't feel that I should have to given the proliferation of low-cost, high-quality displays these days. You can buy a very nice, full-featured Android 7" tablet for well under $200. Think about all of the electronic circuitry and technology that is packed into a tiny package in a tablet as compared to a head unit. The only main difference is the mechanicals and power amplifier section that's in a HU.
agreed. If this were a carplay unit and would support the older iPod classic then I'd be all over it. I ordered the Pioneer 8100NEX (which has carplay and supports iPod classic) refurb and it looks stellar. Unfortunately it had a CD mech issue so I sent it back. If they chose to repair it and send it back to me (as opposed to simply returning my money) I wouldn't be upset.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 12-22-2016   #17

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 147 vactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enough

would be nice if they had fewer useless 'features' that slowed things down and instead had great maps / nav, fast interface (like amazon tablet or modern phones) and some actual processing for things like a crossover and time alignment. alas, we will get more nonsense.
vactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 311 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post
i think rton20 was looking for one of these.

Believe it or not, I have actually considered trying one out with so many people claiming the firmware upgrade fixes the UI issues.

As far as the comments on the price drop, I was a bit surprised it happened so quickly as well. To be honest though, I saw the NX706 as a head unit that would ultimately end up selling for around $600. That just seems to be the trend with Clarion gear in recent years. And maybe this is just what happens when you almost completely abandon an entire national market to focus instead on building cars (that you don't allow people to demo) to generate post views on social media. Could be a chicken and egg thing.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 timg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enough

FYI, The NX807 is now on pre-order at Sound of Tri-State for $550.

Tim

timg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up!

I didn't think it would be selling that low just after it was announced.

^ CAVEAT EMPTOR: PLEASE check the Return Policy and Warranty offered by Sound of Tri-State BEFORE Ordering!

Not sure that I'd buy it anyway. I *think* that it's going to be identical to the NX706 except for the addition of Apple CarPlay. That may be enough to sway people here that use Apple iDevices. But I still don't think that it will support the 5th-7th Gen iPod Classic or iPod Video devices.

If Clarion had also included Android Auto, I probably would have opted for this new unit as well, especially at that price! I don't know what they were thinking by not adding Android Auto as well?

I have returned my NX706 to Amazon. You can read why in my long, windy posts in the thread linked by Erin in the first post above.

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-12-2017 at 04:26 AM..
Old 01-12-2017   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 223 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:

Makes me wonder what's up...
maybe trying to clear out inventory across the board? Maybe a sign of things to come in CES (i.e.; an updated version)? *shrugs*
Our forum reviews make or break these products. Particularly those that have other similar units to compete against. Guess which is the first non-Ad link that comes up when you google "Clarion NX706 review".

Imagine what would have been of the bitOne if there had been other DSP to choose from back when you reviewed it and had that noise fandango.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #22

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Our forum reviews make or break these products. Particularly those that have other similar units to compete against. Guess which is the first non-Ad link that comes up when you google "Clarion NX706 review".

Imagine what would have been of the bitOne if there had been other DSP to choose from back when you reviewed it and had that noise fandango.
Man, that was a nightmare. But Audison took care of the problem. Was cool I was able to talk to their Chief Engineer about the issue and see that my comments had a positive impact on the product.

Something similar happened with Helix's first P-DSP. It was a glaring problem that they didn't even catch. I was put in touch with the right people there and provided them with the data to show the fault. They were so appreciative they actually gave me a C-DSP at the time. That was awesome.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 01-12-2017   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post

Absolutely!

Quote:
Man, that was a nightmare. But Audison took care of the problem. Was cool I was able to talk to their Chief Engineer about the issue and see that my comments had a positive impact on the product.

Something similar happened with Helix's first P-DSP. It was a glaring problem that they didn't even catch. I was put in touch with the right people there and provided them with the data to show the fault. They were so appreciative they actually gave me a C-DSP at the time. That was awesome.
That's awesome, Erin. I think that some of the manufacturers owe a lot to you and the general community here from all of the feedback and reviews we give.

In light of our reviews and tests, hopefully Clarion and other companies will "step up their game" and develop better products in the future, and fix problems with existing units. That is one reason that I do take the extra time to post my thoughts & reviews here and on Amazon, Crutchfield, SonicElectronix, etc. Unfortunately, most companies are not compelled to make a change or improve their products unless it affects their bottom line.

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-12-2017 at 09:39 PM..
Old 01-12-2017   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 timg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enoughtimg will become famous soon enough

My problem with the NX807 is that there aren't 4V outputs, HD Radio, or Time Alignment built-in. All were present on my NX702 in 2012... If I upgrade, I would basically have to use it with an external DA converter to not have a significant hit to SQ, which would then require tearing apart the car to run fiber optic and finding a place to mount a DSP (it's been down 2 years having everything but the stereo replaced/upgraded and is basically back together, so more downtime is not attractive...).

The JL Audio TwK-D8 could be good to pair with this HU. You could do a NX807 + TwK for less than a Pioneer 8200NEX, Kenwood DNX893S, or Alpine xxx and probably have significantly better SQ and tunability than any of these units. The new ZAPCO amps that combine DSP with the amp to allow digital input are also tempting, but still need to be proven.

I have considered the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX and others, but I had a Pioneer Premier F90BT before my NX702. It sounded significantly worse than my Clarion NX702 and at the time required a ton of add-on boxes to have the same functionality. It also had to be hacked to be functional (avic411). WAZE and Dash Command integration with touch control makes these new Pioneers really interesting and unique, but it seems that there are frequently updates that break that touch support.

Tim

timg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
My problem with the NX807 is that there aren't 4V outputs, HD Radio, or Time Alignment built-in. All were present on my NX702 in 2012... If I upgrade, I would basically have to use it with an external DA converter to not have a significant hit to SQ, which would then require tearing apart the car to run fiber optic and finding a place to mount a DSP (it's been down 2 years having everything but the stereo replaced/upgraded and is basically back together, so more downtime is not attractive...).

The JL Audio TwK-D8 could be good to pair with this HU. You could do a NX807 + TwK for less than a Pioneer 8200NEX, Kenwood DNX893S, or Alpine xxx and probably have significantly better SQ and tunability than any of these units. The new ZAPCO amps that combine DSP with the amp to allow digital input are also tempting, but still need to be proven.

I have considered the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX and others, but I had a Pioneer Premier F90BT before my NX702. It sounded significantly worse than my Clarion NX702 and at the time required a ton of add-on boxes to have the same functionality. It also had to be hacked to be functional (avic411). WAZE and Dash Command integration with touch control makes these new Pioneers really interesting and unique, but it seems that there are frequently updates that break that touch support.

Tim
All good points, Tim. It's crazy that all of those features are not included in these newer "Flagship" NX models! Though in regards to 4v preouts and T/A, it might be because they now have Optical Toslink outputs and are designed to work with their own DSP and "Full Digital System", or another outboard DSP.

But I was also really wanting a DD with an HD Tuner, and 4v preouts would be a definite plus. The lack of T/A doesn't bother me much since the Clarions have the digital Toslink output and I would be connecting to the Helix DSP Pro. But not including T/A in the newer units when they already had it previously is still weird.

I agree that the new Zapco amps and processors look promising, but like you said, until we hear more real-world feedback, I'm going to hold off. Luckily, one of the DIYMA members here, Richard "Papasin", is currently testing the new Zapco Z8 DSP IV in his electric SMART car, so we should hear some tidbits about it from a winning competitor and SQ judge.

New Zapco Processors

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-12-2017 at 09:42 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement