MLV with closed cell foam - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017   #1

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 159 cam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to cam2Xrunner

Default MLV with closed cell foam

Hello DIYMA. I am back again after several years hiatus, looking into soundproofing and new system in my Lexus GX470. Came across this deal that I think is pretty good when you compare to other websites. If you have found a better deal than this please let me know. They have local pickup in Stockton Ca for this product and I happen to be headed up there this weekend, so I might have to take advantage of this. Let me know if you are in So Cal, and want to get in on some, I'll ship it back for cheap.

MLV With Closed Cell Foam

The deal is for 90 ft2 which should be just about right for my GX470. When you add it to the cart, theres also an extra 10% off.

I'm going to get a few rolls of their MLV tape too at 10$ each.
cam2Xrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cam2Xrunner For This Useful Post:
chucko58 (03-28-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 26 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

Default Re: MLV with closed cell foam

They're a good bit cheaper than any other vendor I've seen. Shipping could kill that, but price is hard to beat. The only thing that I'd want to know before buying is is this virgin MLV or recycled? Recycled tends to smell. Virgin is what you want, but the website leaves that little detail out best I can tell.

It's also my understanding that you really need to glue MLV and that no tape will properly hold it...something like HH-66. I've personally tried Gorilla Tape on it and once it gets warm, game over.
rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

I've used sticky back hook and pile tape. Easy to take off if needed
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017   #4

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 159 cam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered it. I'll let you know if I smell anything funky after installation.
Old 03-29-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 26 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2Xrunner View Post
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered it. I'll let you know if I smell anything funky after installation.
What did shipping run ya for the roll?
Old 03-29-2017   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 129 USS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Quote:
What did shipping run ya for the roll?
Likely nothing. He said in his first post he was gonna pick it up in stockton.

Looks good, im curious also on how good it is.
USS Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

aaah yes, details. I'm going to contact them & see what they'd want to ship a roll. I'll post up once I hear back. Might as well ask about the composition while I'm at it eh.
Old 03-29-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

So they have a shipping calculator on their site. 39 bucks to me for a 40 foot roll. That makes 'em 24 bucks cheaper than TM Soundproofing since they raised their prices. And TMS just threw one of those 'give me your email' popups at me - that's grounds for a blackball.

I dropped SA a note to inquire about the material. I'll let y'all know what they say.
Old 03-29-2017   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 99 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

It's not clear, it says 1/4" CCF.

It should be 1/4" total for both or it may not fit on some doors.

What's the total thickness of both then ?

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

According to the vendor this is virgin MLV. He also added that the tensile strength of virgin material was higher. I might have to try out a roll. Thanks for the heads up OP.
Old 03-30-2017   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 149 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

TM raised their prices? Wasn't aware of that. I usually order the 100ft roll which seems to be the best deal, plus the free shipping.... at least to me. By how much did it go up?

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 99 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Post a pic with a caliper on it to see the total thickness and also a finger pinched one to see the compression of it
Old 03-30-2017   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
TM raised their prices? Wasn't aware of that. I usually order the 100ft roll which seems to be the best deal, plus the free shipping.... at least to me. By how much did it go up?
$19 on the 40 foot roll. I bought a roll about 6 months ago for $100. Now $119 - so 19%.
Old 03-30-2017   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 20 Dan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enough

I started to order just to see what shipping would be. $109 to Maryland.
Dan750iL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 24 beak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enough

$109 to Illinois as well

2013 Camaro SS/RS - Kenwood DDX9903S - Arc Audio PS-8/PSC - Mmats HiFi 6150D - Helix SPXL1000 -Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10
beak81champ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017   #16

DIYMA Regular

I ordered some 1lb MLV from them too. Seems like a great deal for 100sq ft 108$ with free pickup.

I think this MLV/1/4" CCF will only be able to be used on the floor, so I'll use the 90 sq ft of it to do my Seqouia as well.

So now I'm looking for the best deal on 1/8" CCF. anyone find the best deal for that yet?
Old 03-30-2017   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 149 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I ordered some 1lb MLV from them too. Seems like a great deal for 100sq ft 108$ with free pickup.

I think this MLV/1/4" CCF will only be able to be used on the floor, so I'll use the 90 sq ft of it to do my Seqouia as well.

So now I'm looking for the best deal on 1/8" CCF. anyone find the best deal for that yet?
I usually order from foam by mail. I'm particularly fond of their "higher quality" neoprene. Better insulation properties over other ccf..... neoprene is better in general that is.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Old 03-30-2017   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

It makes sense to not make a 1/8" -1/8" combo, the thicker the ccf the better, looks like they have options to pick up the mlv in different states, mlv only local pick N/A for the mlv ccf combo

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Old 03-31-2017   #19

DIYMA Regular

Yeah it looks like the MLV/CCF combo is only available for pickup at their North Carolina location.

I'm going to go with the Higher Quality Neoprene from Foam by mail, looks good, good price.
Old 04-11-2017   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

So did you order anything from these guys?
Old 04-12-2017   #21

DIYMA Regular

No, they refunded me because I could not pick it up in Stockton.

Do you know the best deal for MLV and for 1/8" CCF?
Old 04-13-2017   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

It seems like these guys you linked above have the best MLV price if their stuff is legit.

Not sure about CCF. I think I'm gonna try Ensolite next.
Old 04-14-2017   #23

DIYMA Regular

So far this is the best price I found for 100sq ft of 1lb MLV, including shipping. 189.75 Inc shipping, no tax.

https://www.amazon.com/Loaded-Vinyl-...b+loaded+vinyl
Old 04-14-2017   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I've used TM for years, but that amazon price seems to be the best you're going to find for the same amount. I still stick with neoprene from foam by mail though. Unless you need peel & stick backing on it, probably the best deal out there. They do have other CCF materials though. I just prefer neo.

Old 04-14-2017   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 49 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

Go to walmart and buy a yoga mat. Its thin cheap 1/8in ccf. Exactly what we use.
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jscoyne2 For This Useful Post:
optimaprime (04-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement