Tutorial: DIY Toslink for your Alpine IVA-W505 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 98 shawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enough

Default Tutorial: DIY Toslink for your Alpine IVA-W505

Hey guys!

I know the 505 is an older model, but hopefully this may help those who are still rocking this deck and (like me) will not pay the $100 or so for the proprietary Alpine digital cable (KWE-610A).

So here's a step by step for doing your very own Toslink conversion, of which I have tried to take as much guess work out as possible.

Here's what you'll need:

1) PLT133/T Fiber optic transmitter (Digikey part no. 108-1428-ND) Digi-Key - 1080-1428-ND (Manufacturer - PLT133/T)

2) 0.1 uf capacitor (I had one laying around) Radio Shack part no. 272-0135

3) Soldering iron & solder

4) Small flexible cable (18-22ga should be fine)

5) Small heat shrink tubing

6) Patience

Ok so here we go:

Remember, you can always click the image for better detail in full scale!

First, open the face and remove the small black screw in the center of the back panel

Next, remove all of the indicated screws as well as the 8mm nut for the gps antenna jack.

Flip up the fan and remove two screws

Remove the top plate, disconnect the fan plug and then remove the back plate

Remove the two large ribbon cables, two mounting screws and remove this board

Remove four screws that secure the GPS housing and remove it.

Remove four screws for the DVD transport

Last edited by shawnk; 04-24-2012 at 04:08 PM..
shawnk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 98 shawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Tutorial: DIY Toslink for your Alpine IVA-W505

Carefully lift up on the transport and gain access to the ribbon cable.

First remove the cable for the transport, then move on to the other two for the face.

There is a hidden screw under this piece of foam tape

Remove Five screws for this board

Try to pull straght up on this board when removing it due to the two large connectors underneath.

Take the previously removed board out and place it on your work bench. Fip it over to access the underside. You will be making your connections to the contacts of the KWE-610A receptacle. Enlarge this pic to see the pin assignment for your new Toslink transmitter.

Contact "4" on this board will need to be connnected to Pin 3 of the PLT133
Contact "2" on this board will need to be connnected to Pin 1 of the PLT133

It is not necessary, but I decided to completely remove the KWE-610A receptacle from the board. This allowed me to solder the new lead cables directly into the vias

You will notice a tin protection plate right behing this area. I had removed this plate when I was "exploring", but please don't do this... it's simply not necessary. This is where I decided to tap the VCC, but you will see later that there's a more pheasible location to tap VCC.

Last edited by shawnk; 04-24-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Old 04-24-2012   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

This is the "top" side of the board we are working on. Here you can see where I tapped the 5v VCC. This will connect to Pin 2 of the PLT133. Please enlarge the pic to see precisely where to tap into. I came up through the bottom of the board for my lead which is why you can only see the "tinned" cable, but it would be much easier to simply have your leads soldered to the top of this board

If you only purchased a sinle transmitter, now is the time to prepare the mounting. Unfortunately, you cannot just mount the new transmitter in place of the old recptacle. Unless that is, you want to drill new holes in the board and realign everything. I opted to use the dead opening to the far right of the back plate. It's uncanny how well a Toslink transmitter fits in this location!

You will want to remove some material from the chassis. Be sure to mask off the area as to not allow any debris to contaminate the deck's internals

Next up, you will want to drill out the mounting hole for the transmitter and find a nice "coarse thread" screw for secruting it.

Now you can make your connections to the PLT133. Be mindfull of your soldering time & temps here as the transmitter is fairly sensitive! Here is also where you will want to solder the 0.1uf cap across pins 1 & 2.

Here's the transmitter all mounted up and leads protected with heatshrink tubing.

Last edited by shawnk; 04-24-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-24-2012   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Now just carefully reinstall all of the previously removed items and you're done!

Enjoy!!

Last edited by shawnk; 04-24-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Old 04-24-2012   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 aV8ter will become famous soon enoughaV8ter will become famous soon enoughaV8ter will become famous soon enoughaV8ter will become famous soon enoughaV8ter will become famous soon enoughaV8ter will become famous soon enough

I like where this is going. I didn't imagine this process being this labor intensive as it seems to be but it will surely be worth it when considering the cost of Alpine's optical cable.

I just picked up a broken w505 on eBay last night with a broken front panel and glass. I'll do the Toslink mod for sure when I have it apart to replace the broken parts.

Last edited by aV8ter; 04-24-2012 at 03:37 PM..
aV8ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8ter View Post
I like where this is going. I didn't imagine this process being this labor intensive as it seems to be but it will surely be worth it when considering the cost of Alpine's optical cable.
I sure think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8ter View Post
I just picked up a broken w505 on eBay last night with a broken front panel and glass. I'll do the Toslink mod for sure when I have it apart to replace the broken parts.
Hope this will make it a little easier for you then
Old 04-25-2012   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 Thrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enough

Wow this is awesome, I was just thinking the other day that someone should do a writeup on how to do this on a 505 and now here it is! Thanks a lot for the very informative writeup!
Thrill_House is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill_House View Post
Wow this is awesome, I was just thinking the other day that someone should do a writeup on how to do this on a 505 and now here it is! Thanks a lot for the very informative writeup!
Good deal..

This is just my way of trying to contribute
Old 04-26-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Keepin' It Old School

12V Company:
OldSchoolStereo
Position:
Owner/Operator/Chief Architect

Rep Power: 96 bigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the rough

Excellent tutorial !!

See my Youtube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/bigdwiz. Lots of demo videos of Old School Car audio, amplifier tests and more!
bigdwiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 106 stockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to stockley.rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnk View Post
What are pins 1 & 3 used for?

Why did you need a capacitor? or is that a transmitter specific requirement?

Great DIY!

2011 JKU - HU:80PRS Amp:ARC KS Mids:H-Audio Soul Tweet:SeasNeo Sub:SWR 8
stockley.rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012   #11

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25977 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

awesome post.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockley.rod View Post
What are pins 1 & 3 used for?

Why did you need a capacitor? or is that a transmitter specific requirement?

Great DIY!

Pin 1 & 3 on the Alpine board are actually dead.... no traces to them at all.

The cap is just for protection for the transmitter. The data sheet calls for this... so I followed suit
Old 04-26-2012   #13

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 106 stockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enoughstockley.rod will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to stockley.rod

Quote:
Pin 1 & 3 on the Alpine board are actually dead.... no traces to them at all.

The cap is just for protection for the transmitter. The data sheet calls for this... so I followed suit
Awesome, My pioneer has a similar digital out connector which apparently is interchangeable between the Alpine optical cable. I guess I'l be taking my headunit apart agian

2011 JKU - HU:80PRS Amp:ARC KS Mids:H-Audio Soul Tweet:SeasNeo Sub:SWR 8
stockley.rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockley.rod View Post
Awesome, My pioneer has a similar digital out connector which apparently is interchangeable between the Alpine optical cable. I guess I'l be taking my headunit apart agian
Coolman, just keep in mind that this tutorial is for the W505 specifically. Your Pioneer may be different!
Old 05-11-2012   #15

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 Thrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enough

Ok guys now heres the big question, does anyone have the balls to perform this on say a w910?
Thrill_House is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 915 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

I love this stuff, Well done!
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill_House View Post
Ok guys now heres the big question, does anyone have the balls to perform this on say a w910?
I believe the W910 uses the same cable as the W505 (KWE-610) no??

Should be very similar
Old 05-12-2012   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I love this stuff, Well done!
Thanks man!
Old 05-12-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 285 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sweet.... Been a long time since I've seen the guts of a HU... I miss it...

A spin off of this OLD article... New Page 1

You can add TOSLINK to any CD player really...

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX View Post
You can add TOSLINK to any CD player really...
Yes indeed you can. I remember reading that article several years ago and it was very informative. However, it's slightly out dated now that dvd transports are common place. Nothing in the W505 is simply labeled "D-OUT" If I didn't have access to a service manual for the 505 I probably wouldn't be able to do this. I probably spent more time tracing circuits and checking transmitter specs & availabitlity than I actually spent doing the mod.
Old 05-12-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 285 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes indeed you can. I remember reading that article several years ago and it was very informative. However, it's slightly out dated now that dvd transports are common place. Nothing in the W505 is simply labeled "D-OUT" If I didn't have access to a service manual for the 505 I probably wouldn't be able to do this. I probably spent more time tracing circuits and checking transmitter specs & availabitlity than I actually spent doing the mod.
Oh, I'm sure man, no doubt...

It just occoured to me when I saw this, I had that link somewhere...

And indeed not all units are going to be labled nicely for you.. lol.. I used to repair HU's long ago.. so I know...

Cheers..

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 lashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enough

This is great! Now if I can only figure out how to fix my dead W205.
lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 gamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enough

I have managed to do a Ina W910R.

The 5 volts can be taken from te ic BA05s and take the 4th pin. (counting left is 1).

For the rest its the same as explained above, and the optic transmitter needs to have an other place.
gamma_ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 39 deltasaurus will become famous soon enoughdeltasaurus will become famous soon enoughdeltasaurus will become famous soon enoughdeltasaurus will become famous soon enoughdeltasaurus will become famous soon enoughdeltasaurus will become famous soon enough

Shawn, is there anything that you can't do? I was just discussing doing this same addition, but to an older Alpine single din pull out radio. The idea was to get more output flexibility to go with tasty OS goodness. This conversion adds somewhat more modern conveniences. It is sometimes sad that more manufacturers are not enabling us with better outputs, but why worry about that when someone with your mad skills is just down the road from me and can work his creative magic!
You 'da man! Keep the goodies rolling!
deltasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 gamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enoughgamma_ed will become famous soon enough

I wish it was also this easy to make a ai-net bus on the new alpine units.
gamma_ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement