MDF baffles - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 doeboy will become famous soon enoughdoeboy will become famous soon enoughdoeboy will become famous soon enoughdoeboy will become famous soon enoughdoeboy will become famous soon enoughdoeboy will become famous soon enough

Default MDF baffles

Are there any particular users on the board that are good at making these things? There is a guy on ebay selling 6.5' mdf baffles that look like they would work. I have learned a lot about sound deadening a door from the site so I figure I would hit up an expert on this board that has done it before going with some guy on ebay. I have boston acoustic component sr60's. This is also my first post so take it easy on me =D
doeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 Mike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enough

Default Re: MDF baffles

I also am looking for some for my Hybrid L3 and Imagine tweeter sets. I would do it, but have neither the means or space to perform this.
Mike-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 115 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

I wont know until saturday what I have left over, but pm me what you need dimension wise, and maybe I can router something up this weekend, if I have the wood left over.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 168 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy View Post
Are there any particular users on the board that are good at making these things? There is a guy on ebay selling 6.5' mdf baffles that look like they would work. I have learned a lot about sound deadening a door from the site so I figure I would hit up an expert on this board that has done it before going with some guy on ebay. I have boston acoustic component sr60's. This is also my first post so take it easy on me =D

I make them.

PM me.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 Gadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enough

I recently made a set for some 6.75" Focal midbass drivers for my Honda Insight. The oem excremental units were mounted to a flimsy door panel flange. My solution was to mount them to the inner door frame and enlarge the door panel opening to fit over my new mounts.

I used .75" MDF and had to double up to achieve the desired thickness. Using a router with a Jasper circle jig, it's pretty simple. They turned a bit too thick. Rather than just cut one of them down, I cut them both but on opposite sides using a rabbet bit so they interlock like puzzle pieces and should seal up very well once glued together. They fit so well that if I had to do this again, I would do the same as part of the plan.

Gadget01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 92 WannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enoughWannaBBurly will become famous soon enough

Nice call on the the rabbet move!

I picked up my Jasper jig from the Jasper facility. Nice folks over there. Great design too.
WannaBBurly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 Gadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enoughGadget01 will become famous soon enough

I found HDPE in the exact thickness I needed (1.25") and cut new rings.

The more posts I read about MDF in doors, the more I wanted to avoid it.

2003 Honda Insight - Alpine w535, Mosconi 6to8, Arc KS minis (125.4, 125.2, 500.1), Focal KR series 3-way, Boston SPG555 13", XS Power (build pics)
Old 11-22-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
tpa
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 119 tnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished road

avoid that shit at all costs..
nasty nasty nasty and if you don't seal it really well( ie many coats of sumin)..
it will go apeshit eventually absorbing water.. and swelling an ugh well just nasty stuff..
any wood is never good in a car..exp in the hot humid south.. yea i know millions of u guys use it.. but i got a piece 6 months old ( HQ canadian stuff too) that has swelled 1.5mm( 0.60") in 6 months just sitting in my garage and looks like hellO

it gets humid in the south!
if you do use it seal it with lacquer or some of that good 3M paintable body undercoat.
tnbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 dwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enough

Where can I pick up some of the hdpe? And is it just like working with wood?
dwhite832003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jpdnkstr will become famous soon enoughjpdnkstr will become famous soon enoughjpdnkstr will become famous soon enoughjpdnkstr will become famous soon enoughjpdnkstr will become famous soon enoughjpdnkstr will become famous soon enough

Awesome rings! I am also interested in the HDPE source, as I need to make some rings (adapters)5x7 to 6 1/2, for my 2001 Explorer front doors, I would like to get rid of the factory plastic spacer and mount directly to the door like you!
jpdnkstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013   #11

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite832003 View Post
Where can I pick up some of the hdpe? And is it just like working with wood?
I cut them to rough shape with my band saw and did the rest with my router/circle guide. I used a 1/4" staight bit and then a 3/4" roundover since I under-cut just a bit and the roundover made it fit my Focal's frame perfectly. HDPE cuts very nicely. Unlike MDF, which creates a hazardous ultrafine dust that goes everywhere, HDPE makes more like a pile of chips. Any woodworking saw will cut HDPE. Just take it slowly.

I found a local supplier (Regal Plastic) after a bit of Googling. I went to their shop and found exactly what I needed- a 7" cut from a 1.25" thick sheet. Their staff is very friendly and the turnaround on my cut order was reasonably quick.

Regal Plastic - General Purpose

Before I found Regal, I was going to order from Interstate Plastics and have it shipped.

Regal Plastic - General Purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdnkstr View Post
Awesome rings! I am also interested in the HDPE source, as I need to make some rings (adapters)5x7 to 6 1/2, for my 2001 Explorer front doors, I would like to get rid of the factory plastic spacer and mount directly to the door like you!
Thank you. I highly recommend this material for door baffles vs. MDF. It was good practice making them though. Some installers say they've never had MDF baffles go bad, but doors get wet inside and I would rather not have to worry about it after it's all done. All you need to make a pair of rings for any set of 6.5's is 7 x 14". This gives you just enough wiggle room to cut it in half and still have enough material for the router to make a nice uniform cut. For best results, cut about half on one side, flip it over and repeat until your cuts meet. A flush trim bit can easily clean up afterwards.

7 x 14 x .75" at Interstate Plastics came to just over $25. 1" thick was $30.

2003 Honda Insight - Alpine w535, Mosconi 6to8, Arc KS minis (125.4, 125.2, 500.1), Focal KR series 3-way, Boston SPG555 13", XS Power (build pics)
Old 07-27-2013   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 HereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy View Post
I would be interested in buying about four 5x7 MDF rings at either 3/4 or 5/8 thickness, if someone here is willing to make some?

I do not have the tools to make a decent looking 5x7 MDF baffle.
HereticHulk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 dwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enoughdwhite832003 will become famous soon enough

Might be a little difficult going from 5x7 to 6x9
Old 07-27-2013   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 HereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enoughHereticHulk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Might be a little difficult going from 5x7 to 6x9
Old 07-27-2013   #15

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHulk View Post
I don't know where I got 6x9's from lol... I read it in my email so idk... so what exactly are you trying to accomplish? More depth?
Old 07-27-2013   #16

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
I don't know where I got 6x9's from lol... I read it in my email so idk... so what exactly are you trying to accomplish? More depth?
No, just want a nice solid surface to mount the speakers to the door with. Ya know, decoupling and that whole bit.
Old 07-27-2013   #17

DIYMA freshman

Is there an oem baffle that you want to replace or we're you going to use the custom mdf in conjunction with the oem abs opening? Pictures wouldn't hurt either!
Old 07-28-2013   #18

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Is there an oem baffle that you want to replace or we're you going to use the custom mdf in conjunction with the oem abs opening? Pictures wouldn't hurt either!
Don't have pictures yet. I am in the market for a truck. It is either going to be a 2002 Ford Ranger or a 2002-03 F-150. Both models have the OEM 6x8's for front and rear. For the front I will be installing JL Audio C5-570 and the rear just some cheaper Infinity 5x7's.

Not too concerned about mounting depth if using 5/8 MDF baffles. I will most likely be needing to cut the door panel, as I do not think the having that thick of spacer/baffle will allow the speakers fit behind the panels.
Old 07-29-2013   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Don't have pictures yet. I am in the market for a truck. It is either going to be a 2002 Ford Ranger or a 2002-03 F-150. Both models have the OEM 6x8's for front and rear. For the front I will be installing JL Audio C5-570 and the rear just some cheaper Infinity 5x7's.

Not too concerned about mounting depth if using 5/8 MDF baffles. I will most likely be needing to cut the door panel, as I do not think the having that thick of spacer/baffle will allow the speakers fit behind the panels.
In either one of those trucks your gonna have a hard time getting the C-5's behind the door panel and fitting through the 5x7 hole.
I ended up cutting the inner door panel metal and cutting the grill out of the door panel.
there's just NO room between the panel and out door metal...Good luck though.

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Nice work, now tell me how would you do baffles for this driver? Round driver is easy, where do I start with that one?

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013   #21

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasluke View Post
In either one of those trucks your gonna have a hard time getting the C-5's behind the door panel and fitting through the 5x7 hole.
I ended up cutting the inner door panel metal and cutting the grill out of the door panel.
there's just NO room between the panel and out door metal...Good luck though.
I was planning on having to cut the grill out of the door panel. I am not sure what you mean about fitting a 5x7 through the hole?
Old 09-25-2013   #22

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Navy
Position:
Boss

Rep Power: 106 silver6 will become famous soon enoughsilver6 will become famous soon enoughsilver6 will become famous soon enoughsilver6 will become famous soon enoughsilver6 will become famous soon enoughsilver6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
Nice work, now tell me how would you do baffles for this driver? Round driver is easy, where do I start with that one?
Make the baffle big and surface mount it.

2005 Mazda6 S 5 Door. JVC KD-ADV38, Polk 6.5 DB's
1987 Volvo 245. JVC KD-AR8500, HiVi FR600, MB Quart RWE 304 x2, MB Quart PAB-1200.1D
1989 Volvo 244. Stay Tuned
silver6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013   #23

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 76 kmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enough

I think I'm gonna use HDPE when I do my install. No use having to redo the baffles in a year. Do it right the first time.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013   #24

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 100 jbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enough

McMaster-Carr
jbholsters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was planning on having to cut the grill out of the door panel. I am not sure what you mean about fitting a 5x7 through the hole?
I meant the frame of the driver. The hole is just big enough. Unless you build it out then you hit the door panel.
Then there's the alignment of the 5x7 hole and the grill on the door panel. The 5x7 hole is offset and about half of the driver is actually behind the panel and not firing through the grill at all.
In my case it caused a huge peak from about 150 to 300 hertz and again from 1000 to 3000 hertz.
Once I cut the grill out and the door metal everything smoothed right out.

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement