How to make your own Remote Controller for Helix and Brax DSPs - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2015   #51

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 Bmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to make your own Remote Controller for Helix and Brax DSPs

Does this work with DSP pro? I figure they've changed it by now.
Bmxnick101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Action Audio
Position:
Whipping post

Rep Power: 94 Timelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enough

This is the next thing I have to Build :-) a couple of the last posts here are using the mini din plug and it should work with the DSP pro.

Last edited by Timelessr1; 09-19-2015 at 08:36 PM..
Timelessr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2015   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 101 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelessr1 View Post
This is the next thing I have to Build :-) a couple of the last posts here are using the mini din plug and it should work with the DSP pro.

You ever give this a shot? How'd it work out. Gonna try this with my Pro. Thinking of taking apart my URC-2a and making it less ugly
bradknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Action Audio
Position:
Whipping post

Rep Power: 94 Timelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradknob View Post
You ever give this a shot? How'd it work out. Gonna try this with my Pro. Thinking of taking apart my URC-2a and making it less ugly

I haven't yet... I'm still using my URC also. I'd consider taking mine apart too but I'd like to really have a metal knob that sticks out a little more rather then a thumb wheel
Timelessr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2015   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 101 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

Cool, thanks for the response. I'm with you on the knobs, I got some aluminum ones Ima try. Let you all know how it turns out.

bradknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2016   #56

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Xiin90 will become famous soon enoughXiin90 will become famous soon enoughXiin90 will become famous soon enoughXiin90 will become famous soon enoughXiin90 will become famous soon enoughXiin90 will become famous soon enough

Hey ! Thanks for all the info iv got so far. But i still have one problem with soldering the connector. Its round 8 pin mini-din, abd looks like this =

i.imgur.com/jQOh4Tt.jpg

Buy how should i solder one Wire into shell (for ground)? Tin doesnt stay on that coated shell...
Xiin90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016   #57

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sbutz will become famous soon enoughsbutz will become famous soon enoughsbutz will become famous soon enoughsbutz will become famous soon enoughsbutz will become famous soon enoughsbutz will become famous soon enough

I ordered a Director... Any idea if I can have a potentiometer within arms reach for system volume control and put the director say in my sun glasses holder and just use it for input changes?
sbutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2016   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dkenned1 will become famous soon enoughdkenned1 will become famous soon enoughdkenned1 will become famous soon enoughdkenned1 will become famous soon enoughdkenned1 will become famous soon enoughdkenned1 will become famous soon enough

I wanted to say thank you to this group for all of the good information about this unit, and to give an update.

I have the Helix DSP Pro, and the information is accurate for the pinout as of this posting.

I'm using a digital potentiometer to control the Helix, and in my findings, 10k just isn't enough. Even at 0 which reads about 9.5k on the multimeter, signal is still passed over the RCA from low to high. In order to get the volume to totally stop I had to have a resistance of 55.7k.

In my findings, the basic steps are 55k, 53k, 37k, 25k and then every ~407 ohms from 25k up to 300 ohms has a noted increase in volume. My source unit only has 64 steps so its possible the increments are even smaller than 407 per step but thats roughly 1db when measured with my SPL meter.

If you use an analog potentiometer this might not be an issue if it goes to a complete circuit disconnect at 0.

I hope this helps someone else. I had to combine a 10k and 50k to get this working.

It would be MIGHTY helpful if anyone knows the DIGITAL control and not the analog one. I cant believe the Director unit is using the analog like the small remote does.
dkenned1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017   #59
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 Salami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished road

Question Re: How to make your own Remote Controller for Helix and Brax DSPs

Installing my DSP Pro today.

What type of connector do I need to connect to the processor?

Also what type of switch do I use if I want to be able to toggle between the two presets? I am assuming a toggle switch would not work, correct?
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 174 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami View Post
Installing my DSP Pro today.

What type of connector do I need to connect to the processor?

Also what type of switch do I use if I want to be able to toggle between the two presets? I am assuming a toggle switch would not work, correct?
Looks like an 8-pin mini din connector such as this recepticle I saw on pg1 that looks like the port on the DSP:

Maybe something like this:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...nf1nHYLQ%3d%3d

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #61
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 Salami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished road

Thanks Scott.

I'm looking to use an Alps Blue Velvet like Erin had in his Car for volume control. I believe I need a 10k linear. Would this be the correct type?

ALPS RK27112 Potentiometer 10K ohm linear B taper pot RK27112A005N RK27 10KBx2 | eBay
Old 1 Week Ago   #62
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapletech View Post
Here's my version, with just a bit more info since I took my URC apart.
The bi-colour LED is only necessary if you're using a pushbutton switch that doesn't give any indication as to which state it's in (ie. in/out), but if you use a toggle or rocker switch then you don't need it (unless you like more lights!)

I found the connector at Newark Electronics, their part # 97K5346. $3 - so buy a couple - the pins are tiny and the ABS can melt if you don't solder quickly.

Can someone give me some guidance on this please?

I want to control volume only and be able to switch between the 2 presets on the DSP Pro.

I'll have an Alps pot in my possession tomorrow. I need to order a switch. If I am reading this correctly I need a DPDT switch, correct? Does it need to be a rocker/toggle type switch or can it me a momentary switch? I am having trouble finding a DPDT switch that is small enough and does not looks like ass. SPDT switches seem to be super easy to find and look nice, DPDT not so much.

It shouldn't matter if there is no second pot, correct?

I would like to have the parts I need ordered by Monday so I can have them by the end of the week and get this built and functional.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement