A Compartive Study of Loudspeaker Frequency Response in Car Doors - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007   #51
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 195 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Default Re: A Compartive Study of Loudspeaker Frequency Response in Car Doors

Were the door treatments going from nothing, to fully treated? I measured a substantial increase in low end sensitivity below 60hz.

I think you'd notice a big difference in your time measurements as well using an accelerometer on the door.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 149 shinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdang View Post
Were the door treatments going from nothing, to fully treated? I measured a substantial increase in low end sensitivity below 60hz.

I think you'd notice a big difference in your time measurements as well using an accelerometer on the door.
Yeah, measurements are comparing nothing to fully treated.

Like your experience, my measurements do also show quite a difference below 50 Hz. I just figured that I'd see a bit more difference in the mid-bass region...

Next time I pull out the laptop and mic, I'm definitely going to look more closely at the time domain responses.

Thanks!

shinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2007   #53

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 132 jmelan will become famous soon enoughjmelan will become famous soon enoughjmelan will become famous soon enoughjmelan will become famous soon enoughjmelan will become famous soon enoughjmelan will become famous soon enough

shinjohn,

great job with all of the different comparisons!! i have been checking this thread once a week hoping to see your results for a while now.

i had tried measuring with the windows open as well thinking that i would see the effect of fewer reflections and saw very little change of the overall response.

Also, have you found any easy way of averaging readings together (eg. left ear plus right ear) with free software? my past method was to hurry up and move the mic between a series of tests, but it is difficult to see what effect it has that way.

i really like the calibration method that is described for the jbl ms-8, with simultaneous left and right ear capture, but there are no cheap solutions for that right now.
jmelan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 149 shinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan View Post
shinjohn,

great job with all of the different comparisons!! i have been checking this thread once a week hoping to see your results for a while now.

i had tried measuring with the windows open as well thinking that i would see the effect of fewer reflections and saw very little change of the overall response.

Also, have you found any easy way of averaging readings together (eg. left ear plus right ear) with free software? my past method was to hurry up and move the mic between a series of tests, but it is difficult to see what effect it has that way.

i really like the calibration method that is described for the jbl ms-8, with simultaneous left and right ear capture, but there are no cheap solutions for that right now.
Glad the data is of some interest to the community here.

So far, I have not found an easy way to do spatial averaging, but to be honest, I haven't really tried hard to get more capability with my ultra-cheap measurement setup. I was thinking of buying a nicer setup, but I realize that making time for this hobby is increasingly difficult, however fun it may be.

One thing is for sure though: I have learned a bit about the acoustics of my vehicle, and that has given me some good ideas on how to better tune my system. Of course my ears are the final judge, but sometimes they can use some help!

Good luck to you too! Keep up your great work!

Old 10-06-2007   #55
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 195 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

If you can dump your IR plot into a txt file... doing a straight average is pretty easy. You could also do it with a FR plot, but may not be as accurate. I mean, let's say at 100hz your left side is 90db, and on the right side is 95db... what's the average right? X+Y/2.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2007   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 154 invecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to invecs

shinjohn,

Can you do a comparo between a high qts mid vs a low qts mid? I've always found any low qts mid to sound like what you have measured...can extend very low but not much midbass response despite the deadening.

Clarion HX-D2/Mosconi 6to8/Boston gt amps/Genesis Dual Mono/DLS Scandinavia 1/DLS R6.2 midbass/DLS Nordica 10
invecs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 225 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Maybe also a run with no factory grills if its poosible. With the the door panel still in place to see if modifing the grill would help much.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
JL Audio
Position:
VP Marketing

Rep Power: 133 msmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nicemsmith is just really nice

Can you turn the car upside down and suspend it from an 18 foot beam, and then do spatial averaging?

Just kidding.
msmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 154 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

holy thread revival batman!!
IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 119 jsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enough

I don't know how I missed this thread, but thanks for "resurrecting" it. I have an Acura TSX and am working to balance the L/R EQ on my front stage. I have noticed the same trough around 450Hz as the Accord in this thread...and there isn't anything I can do about it with my 1/3 oct graphic EQ bands at 400 and 500 without also affecting <400 and >500

2009 USACi finals: 2nd place basic consumer SQ.
Build log. Car audio is just a game of physics.
jsun_g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 67 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinjohn View Post
(...)
Key Takeaways: (however obvious they may be)
  1. The vehicle's transfer function (environment) has far more impact on frequency response than any other variable. Differences between drivers are relatively small in comparison.
  2. Differences in driver performance (frequency response) are quite measurable. These drivers to me sound different, particularly in the midrange, and the differences in response from ~1KHz and up correlate well with my subjective evaluations.
  3. I was surprised that the lower frequency response of the two drivers didn't differ more, but there does seem to be a small measurable difference nonetheless. It's not much though, and error in accurate gain setting and in measurement repeatability renders that point completely moot.
  4. If smooth frequency response is your goal, there's no way of getting there without having separate left/right EQ, AND alot of control via parametric or NUMEROUS graphic bands.
Wow, that was a cool thread!
Look at us carefully picking drivers on their flat FR...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015   #63

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Picaro will become famous soon enoughPicaro will become famous soon enoughPicaro will become famous soon enoughPicaro will become famous soon enoughPicaro will become famous soon enoughPicaro will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post
Wow, that was a cool thread!
Look at us carefully picking drivers on their flat FR...
Ha, ha, yes, great thread. Glad to see people put so much effort into such data collecting.
Picaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Holy thread resurrections Batman! Wow that was a long time ago!!!!
Brings back memories......

Old 03-07-2015   #65

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 119 TallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enough

Great thread. Another take away from this thread is that these days USB mics can be had for under $100 (I have the UMIK-1 from the miniDSP guys that was $75) and measurement software (REW) is free. Most of the mics come with calibration files so software setup isn't too hard.

So, after spending hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on audio equipment, the measurement equipment is darn right cheep. Plus the mic ought to last nearly a lifetime and used over and over for different installs or changes to existing setups. Yes, technically the software can be a bit daunting, but there are several good tutorials and online help guides. Heck if those stupid home theater guys can figure this out, we DIY mobile audio guys ought to have no trouble (j/k)

You couple this with the now lower cost DSPs you have unprecedented control over your sound.

'04 Impala SS, Alpine 9886 HU, 2x MiniDSP2x4 (4way,only using 3), Morel Hybrid MW6, KAXBLTWT pillars on JL300/4 and Alpine SWR-10D4 on Alpine MRV-500
TallTexan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2016   #66

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 18 Bacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enough

OK. Glad to see this back up. A few pages earlier someone mentioned mounting the speaker to the door panel instead of behind it. My doors are treated but was thinking about this because thinking I could use a angled spacer to get my sound a little higher if you will. I have a tahoe and the speaker placement is in the very bottom of a giant door. By my ankle basicly. I was going to do little bit of fiberglassing to make a pod and cut out the stock grill. I was going to leave the mdf rings about two inches worth behind the door panel and foam or should I fill that space up with more foam???maybe even completely block that opening up. Any thoughts. By the way I'm not using a dsp and wasn't planning on it. Thanks.
Bacovish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016   #67

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 18 Bacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enoughBacovish will become famous soon enough

Well decided to mount on the panel. We will see how it sounds

Last edited by Bacovish; 03-14-2016 at 07:18 PM..
Bacovish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement