First-timers guide to measuring your system - Page 14 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017   #326

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 31 My98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: First-timers guide to measuring your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
What you are asking for is on the topic of "target" or "house" curve.. That's where your personal taste for tonality will come into play a bit. There are some somewhat established norms, but in the end, it's what sounds balanced, smooth and coherent to you. I've been told all kinds of stuff like "flat from 200hz up" and 20db total delta between 20hz and 20khz. I think after enough tuning, you'll establish a tonality that's balanced for your car. I don't believe there's any single curve that's right for all cars or systems. Crossover settings are relevant in that crossover regions you want to keep an eye out for any destructive FR stuff that may happen due to phase or timing being out etc. Other than that, the overall tonality should be smooth without spikes or peaks (narrow unavoidable dips can be forgiven). And possibly even more important, left=right.
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at some measurements I made recently and came across one strange thing where maybe some one can give me a helping Hand on....

I had measured my drivers individually without any crossover set. As it turns out, my sub shows a huge dip in FR at 90 Hz. Has anyone an explanation for this? It is a sealed footwell sub, 8" driver in a small enclosure (approx. 10 Liters). Before any measurements I had set the crossover to 99Hz because it sounded best to my ears. Now, seeing this dip, I have my doubts if 99Hz is really recommended. I should probably cross it at 78Hz to avoid that dip!? What do you guys think?

My98RT10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017   #327

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 31 My98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enoughMy98RT10 will become famous soon enough

I will do a nearfield measurement next. Maybe this dip is caused by room/cabin effects? We'll see....
Old 02-24-2017   #328

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 trenion will become famous soon enoughtrenion will become famous soon enoughtrenion will become famous soon enoughtrenion will become famous soon enoughtrenion will become famous soon enoughtrenion will become famous soon enough

Thank you for this complete guide. It will be very useful for me since I'm relatively new with making mobile audio. Got to share this information with my friends too.
trenion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017   #329

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by My98RT10 View Post
I will do a nearfield measurement next. Maybe this dip is caused by room/cabin effects? We'll see....
So I did a nearfield measurement of my footwell sub the other day and this is the result:

Is it fair to assume that the dip at 90Hz in the previous measurement from the listening position (drivers seat) is caused by the cabin acoustics!? However, I am wondering about the dip at 160Hz now...?
Old 02-24-2017   #330
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by My98RT10 View Post
So I did a nearfield measurement of my footwell sub the other day and this is the result:

Is it fair to assume that the dip at 90Hz in the previous measurement from the listening position (drivers seat) is caused by the cabin acoustics!? However, I am wondering about the dip at 160Hz now...?
How did you measure this one? Near-field should be plenty full here thatís strange (like 1" from the cone).

I (as many) have the same effect with my sub, but placed behind me almost in the middle of the car.
My dip is around 170hz so not really an issue, in fact it helps. But the near-field measurements are full up to 2k.
This dip moves if I move the sub of course, wavelengths interaction between both windshields that causes cancellation I guess (could calculate the distance etc)

You could try different points of measurements, like 8 around your driver seat to see how it's affected, see if it's really an issue.
Or you could also leverage this dip, and cross right on it with a shallower slope, one that would give you the wanted acoustic slope (so could be anything between 80 to 120hz or even anything else)

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017   #331

DIYMA freshman

I put the microphone right in front of the cone, actually less than 1"! The sub was still in the car (footwell) but I assumed that cabin effects should have been eliminated by this type of measurement. Maybe I need to do another measurement with the sub outside the car in a reflection free environment!?
Old 02-25-2017   #332
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Oh I forgot, my car is a convertible and I did this the top down, seats down and everything open. very close to a clean near-field I guess. When in your case even everything open itís still trapped in a tunnel.
But anyway you won't learn a lot outside, I think multi points at driver side will give you more.

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement