The Essentials of Sound Quality IMHO - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 149 bobduch will become famous soon enoughbobduch will become famous soon enoughbobduch will become famous soon enoughbobduch will become famous soon enoughbobduch will become famous soon enoughbobduch will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Essentials of Sound Quality IMHO

I just had a Lycan flashback. Subbed.
bobduch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014   #27

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25974 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

I wish. For a number of reasons. :/

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread explaining the "basics" and common misconceptions.

Don't wanna bring confusion into the thread but I tend not to 'experiment' much with crossovers though. If you use 4th order L-R acoustic slopes everywhere many problems are avoided, I simply set crossovers considering modal nulls and "non-linear distortion levels vs. output" in the lower frequencies and the Power response of the mids upper limit. Have both drivers -6dB at the xover point and make sure they sum perfectly. The phase at xover can be confirmed by looking at the group delay for example.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014   #29

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 whoever will become famous soon enoughwhoever will become famous soon enoughwhoever will become famous soon enoughwhoever will become famous soon enoughwhoever will become famous soon enoughwhoever will become famous soon enough

Erin, great article, thank you
for taking the time to write it
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 142 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Subbed
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014   #31

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25974 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

I realize I left something out in the crossover section so I'll have to address that before moving on.

The Tuning section; that's going to be my best attempt at relating all the lessons learned to you guys so hopefully you can benefit from it. That said, it's going to take me some time to provide data sets and graphics. I can type up the words on the fly in a relatively short time (a few hours for everything) but I think the graphics will go a long way to really driving the message home. So, be patient with me and it'll get done.

- Erin

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 06-02-2014   #32

Bikinpunk

updated.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 06-02-2014   #33
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 83 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Could have sworn I sub'd this earlier. Great read so far. Keep it coming!

bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014   #34

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
Could have sworn I sub'd this earlier. Great read so far. Keep it coming!
you sub'd the other thread. I wound up deleting that one because I couldn't re-order things without making a huge mess of the thread. so, I punted and started this one. :/

thanks for the feedback. hopefully it helps. at some point in this thread I'll start trying to break down my tuning methods. but I need to Build a base understanding and explain some key terms before I do that.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 06-02-2014   #35

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 venki7744 will become famous soon enoughvenki7744 will become famous soon enoughvenki7744 will become famous soon enoughvenki7744 will become famous soon enoughvenki7744 will become famous soon enoughvenki7744 will become famous soon enough

Sub'd...looking forward to more interesting stuff.
venki7744 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 153 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Awesome job dude. My brother-in-law just started reading through threads on DIYMA and has expressed a desire to learn more of the basics.......I'm sending him a link to this thread right now!

bertholomey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 141 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Great thread Erin.....very long overdo and MUST become a sticky!
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014   #38
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 193 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

subd

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 mires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura about

Read through everything once. Made my head hurt. Gonna try again after dinner.

Alpine 7949 - Morel Integra Ovation XO6 - Alpine MRV-F303 - Alpine MRV-F407 - (2) Boston Acoustics Pro 8.5LF
mires is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 sierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enough

Subbed. Thanks for sharing Erin...
sierrarider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 58 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

Thanks Erin for the time and effort in sharing this. Your input is always beneficial.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #42

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 51 sbaumbaugh will become famous soon enoughsbaumbaugh will become famous soon enoughsbaumbaugh will become famous soon enoughsbaumbaugh will become famous soon enoughsbaumbaugh will become famous soon enoughsbaumbaugh will become famous soon enough

Sub'd

Thank you Erin,

Kenwood dnx9980hd>Helix DSP>jl audio 1200/1,jl audio 600/4x2> dynaudio esotec 362>jl audio 13" slim subs x2>Helix DSP Remote>fully active>
sbaumbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 126 pionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
Great thread explaining the "basics" and common misconceptions.

Don't wanna bring confusion into the thread but I tend not to 'experiment' much with crossovers though. If you use 4th order L-R acoustic slopes everywhere many problems are avoided, I simply set crossovers considering modal nulls and "non-linear distortion levels vs. output" in the lower frequencies and the Power response of the mids upper limit. Have both drivers -6dB at the xover point and make sure they sum perfectly. The phase at xover can be confirmed by looking at the group delay for example.
I agree...so long as you are saying 4th order summed response. For those that don't know what I mean, you can't just pick a LR4/4th order/24db slope (just to cover all forms of description) and say it's good. Your Speaker has a natural roll-off and you need to combine that roll-off with the electronic slope you choose. So, for example, if your speakers have a -6db slope, you'd want a 18db electronic slope to achieve the 24db slope.

My 0.02

Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
pionkej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 126 pionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura about

Oh yeah, and BIG KUDOS Erin.

Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
pionkej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #45

Bikinpunk

I agree with you guys... To some extent. When I get further in to this thread I'll go a bit deeper in to the topic.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 06-03-2014   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 quietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enough

As always, i'm impressed with the attention to details. this is one of the things that i love about this forum, the willingness of people to share the info they have gained via long hard lessons.
Thanks Erin!!
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 99 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

Damn man this is awesome. Exactly what i need about now, Thanks.

Now I feel like im missing out because i just got an ms-8 and most the tunig is done fro me.
bradknob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #48

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 svnuss will become famous soon enoughsvnuss will become famous soon enoughsvnuss will become famous soon enoughsvnuss will become famous soon enoughsvnuss will become famous soon enoughsvnuss will become famous soon enough

Great post! Will reference.
svnuss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #49

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 120 SQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your efforts sir, great info for all!
SQram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #50
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 305 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that links to this thread are going to be scattered all over DIYMA in the future. Thanks for all of your efforts on this Erin.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C3 | Illusion C6 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement