The Essentials of Sound Quality IMHO - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014   #51
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 137 casey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Essentials of Sound Quality IMHO

very helpful, thanks again Erin. The only issue I will probably run into is not having the trained ear that some of you guys have. I want to try and do as much as I can but will definitely be getting some assistance. I just like to know what changes Im making and this definitely helps

I love to overthink things.
2008 Civic Log: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...an-exodus.html
casey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 295 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pionkej View Post
I agree...so long as you are saying 4th order summed response. For those that don't know what I mean, you can't just pick a LR4/4th order/24db slope (just to cover all forms of description) and say it's good. Your speaker has a natural roll-off and you need to combine that roll-off with the electronic slope you choose. So, for example, if your speakers have a -6db slope, you'd want a 18db electronic slope to achieve the 24db slope.

My 0.02
Yes indeed. I was talking about the acoustic slopes.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014   #53

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 Militarymisfit will become famous soon enoughMilitarymisfit will become famous soon enoughMilitarymisfit will become famous soon enoughMilitarymisfit will become famous soon enoughMilitarymisfit will become famous soon enoughMilitarymisfit will become famous soon enough

My Man! You just saved me from posting new threads. Great info and easier to find than spending hours searching through other threads.

I appreciate the initiative, and time and effort this is going to take. Thanks.

Oh... and sub.
Militarymisfit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014   #54

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

awesome. that's what I was hoping to do here. give one concise source for the more technical aspects of this hobby in a manner that doesn't need a phD to understand. glad to help.

I will say most of this would be a WHOLE lot easier to explain if we all were face to face and had a whiteboard.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 quietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
awesome. that's what I was hoping to do here. give one concise source for the more technical aspects of this hobby in a manner that doesn't need a phD to understand. glad to help.

I will say most of this would be a WHOLE lot easier to explain if we all were face to face and had a whiteboard.
we could set up a GOTO meeting and have you present........ then you'd have a white board. we could record the sessions and add it to the posts....
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 115 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

They actually did that a few years at the national Dodge Neon gtg, with the Chrysler head engineer who oversaw the neon's design process. Had all kinds of how to's to fix problems that weren't supposed to be there, but occurred during production. The guy road raced them in spec neon and scca road touring.

Subbed. Lots of good info scattered over posts Erin has made, nice to have it all in one place.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

turn this into a video series, charge a nominal fee, for each section of knowledge blocks. Probably could pull it all into 8 sections, sort of a DSP primer and AutoSound 2000 briefs, mashed up.

maybe get a couple of guest speaker sections, Andy Wehmeyer, Jon Whitledge, that Summers guy, I'm sure there's a few others that could give an hour, maybe even have a little SMD spot for high-decibel, a couple of engineer types, maybe even Scott at Hybrid, whoever...

could go a long way with little budget, Kickstarter the series, who knows?

a full-on tuning clinical, starring industry heavy hitters, and oration/production by the personable party-man Hardaway, Hardaway's online guide to today's higher end...
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 mrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enough

Fantastic stuff.

The flow of the information is really well done too.

Allot of things I've read about over the past few years, but now much more concise in my head, lol.

DEX-P99RS / ScanSpeak D3004/6020-00 / ScanSpeak 10F/8414G-10 / Hertz ML165 / Hertz HX250 / Hertz HCP4D x2
mrpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40116 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is going to find something(s) in this that will help them. Stuck!

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #60
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 48 Theronh357 will become famous soon enoughTheronh357 will become famous soon enoughTheronh357 will become famous soon enoughTheronh357 will become famous soon enoughTheronh357 will become famous soon enoughTheronh357 will become famous soon enough

Sub'd

Theronh357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #61

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

updated some posts...

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Last edited by ErinH; 06-05-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Old 06-05-2014   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 quietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enough

I think this should become it's own WIKI....
Old 06-05-2014   #63
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 137 casey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enough

just re-read. overwhelming amount of stuff

I love to overthink things.
2008 Civic Log: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...an-exodus.html
casey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014   #64
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

reading the updated posts makes me so happy to have a left/right 31 band graphic EQ AND ten band parametric per channel

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Erin,
a small request, when you update could you include a link to the updated section, its hard to traverse the entire thread on my phone while in meetings and your updates are infinitely more interesting than my meetings... :P

thanks!
Old 06-06-2014   #66

Bikinpunk

sure.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 06-06-2014   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Danke schön!
Old 06-06-2014   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 136 94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 94VG30DE

Default Re: The Essentials of Sound Quality: Advice Based on My Trials and Tribulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
I have been reading here for 7 years and this is the first time I have understood ^. Lot's of great content, more great to come I'm sure. Thanks for the concise flow of information. "Accessible" technical writing is hard to do, so A+ there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_ View Post
Well, if there's anything we've got extra of in New Zealand, it's sheep...
94VG30DE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 140 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Subbed!
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014   #70

Bikinpunk

Default Re: The Essentials of Sound Quality: Advice Based on My Trials and Tribulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94VG30DE View Post
I have been reading here for 7 years and this is the first time I have understood ^.
awesome!

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 06-07-2014   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
MontiCar Roermond NL
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 84 Woosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enough

Wow great work Erin! This will keep me up late the next few days... :P

Never say Ooops... Always say, Aahh Interesting....
Mazda MX-5 10th AE, Pioneer P99, Mosconi AS100.4, Mosconi One60.4, Gladen SQX08, Exact! M182W, Exact! En50B4, Exact! HX22TG, Silent Coat
Woosey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014   #72

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosey View Post
Wow great work Erin! This will keep me up late the next few days... :P
You still awake?! lol.

I've let this slip a bit the past few days. I'm about to do some tuning on my car (hopefully) in the next few days and I'll be using that as an opportunity to update this thread with some measurements and analysis... it'll be my attempt at sharing the process and how the data can be viewed in different ways. I'll update with RTA plots and discuss my findings. I intended to do this a couple days ago but just haven't found the free time.

In the meantime, if anyone has any questions or possibly even wants to share some success stories from things learned here, I'd appreciate hearing that kind of feedback. If not, I'll just assume it's waaaaaay too hot for you guys to be inside your cars right now, too.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 06-12-2014   #73

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 ike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enough

I've been following a lot of your posts and find them very informative. Success stories? I don't even know where to start. I've tried each one of your techniques with great results. The most beneficial piece of information has to be properly setting xover points to avoid beaming and distortion spikes. Nothing revolutionary there, but for some reason your explanations "clicked" better than anything else I have ever read. I've been able to gain a lot of volume and dynamics just by choosing the proper xover points. Phase and time delay is an ongoing process, but I am finally comfortable with my xover points.

ike3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014   #74

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 abusiveDAD will become famous soon enoughabusiveDAD will become famous soon enoughabusiveDAD will become famous soon enoughabusiveDAD will become famous soon enoughabusiveDAD will become famous soon enoughabusiveDAD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike3000 View Post
I've been following a lot of your posts and find them very informative. Success stories? I don't even know where to start. I've tried each one of your techniques with great results. The most beneficial piece of information has to be properly setting xover points to avoid beaming and distortion spikes. Nothing revolutionary there, but for some reason your explanations "clicked" better than anything else I have ever read. I've been able to gain a lot of volume and dynamics just by choosing the proper xover points. Phase and time delay is an ongoing process, but I am finally comfortable with my xover points.

Agreed...
thank you kind sir (ErinH)
abusiveDAD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014   #75

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike3000 View Post
Nothing revolutionary there, but for some reason your explanations "clicked" better than anything else I have ever read. I've been able to gain a lot of volume and dynamics just by choosing the proper xover points.
that's the reason I started this thread. awesome to hear that.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement