The Essentials of Sound Quality IMHO - Page 7 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016   #151
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 152 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: The Essentials of Sound Quality IMHO

The world is round, doesn't matter if you sail from west to east or vice versa, you will still circumnavigate the globe . It doesn't matter what you do first, in any case to start with you will be going back and forth between them, even after you have set TA and EQ.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016   #152
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 60 gregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
The world is round, doesn't matter if you sail from west to east or vice versa, you will still circumnavigate the globe . It doesn't matter what you do first, in any case to start with you will be going back and forth between them, even after you have set TA and EQ.
Yup, that's been my experience. In the beginning there can be a lot of back and forth until a good formula is figured out. But once crossovers and phase / TA have been pretty well established for the install its pretty much all EQ from there. Maybe with minor tweaks to TA.
But there have been more than a few times that after all that I want to go back and change crossover points. Then it's starting the process over but still much easier than the first time because things are still within the ballpark.
gregerst22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016   #153

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 28 TwistdInfinity will become famous soon enoughTwistdInfinity will become famous soon enoughTwistdInfinity will become famous soon enoughTwistdInfinity will become famous soon enoughTwistdInfinity will become famous soon enoughTwistdInfinity will become famous soon enough

Yeah individual driver EQ first then ta then overall system curve EQ (what you do to one side match it on the other if you don't have ability to do input and output eq)

And yes, your likely going to go back and readjust ta slightly

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
TwistdInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016   #154
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

The tuning technique I used before Finals was to do crossovers first (in REW), then EQ individual drivers for good left/right balance (in REW), then do time alignment (by ear), and then do minor EQ for tonality (by ear) and a final REW look for visual confirmation.

Crossovers affect phase. EQ affects phase, too. That's why I chose to do TA last.

For my time alignment, I created a kick drum loop in Ableton Live on my computer. It does a pretty good job, at least to my ears. It's probably because of my years of DJing that I am just very used to time aligning drum sounds. That's what beatmatching records is all about.

However, for 2016 I'm going to be trying to switch up the order of operations in the tuning process. I'll probably be doing TA first, then crossovers, then EQ, and then..... something else.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016   #155
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 176 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post

For my time alignment, I created a kick drum loop in Ableton Live on my computer. It does a pretty good job, at least to my ears. It's probably because of my years of DJing that I am just very used to time aligning drum sounds. That's what beatmatching records is all about.
Kick drum loop.. I found one somewhere but if you're willing to share I'm sure I'd love it. I also use a track I found called "polarity pulse" which is simply a click-track of sorts. When it's nailed, the drivers disappear and it's like someone rapping a screwdriver handle dead center on your windshield.

At this stage in a new tune, I need to do ear-EQ work I think next with 1/3 octave noise tracks to see where any image shifting is happening between sides. Maybe it'll help further balance out and narrow in the center further than FR-matching the sides initially. That's the stuff with EQ I guess you can't do with a mic and REW.. Where ears become the tool.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016   #156
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 176 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Default The Essentials of Sound Quality IMHO

John, speaking of overall tuning I stumbled through the playlists on the phone and gave some 1/3 octave pink noise a try to see where the stage image floats.

Though this tune is only TA and individual driver EQ, done to match sides to a curve, which did a decent job, the noise tracks showed the center dancing all over in a few spots. So the sides are only partially balanced. Thus I've found my ghosting image issue from the last NCSQ meet that absolutely perturbed me. How we get better, right?

Until I measure sides again I speculate this is due to constructive and destructive stuff going on between sides from existing filters applied, where areas have phase issue and also reflection as well. Lest I forget this is tuning in a glass and plastic fishbowl.

So for the crowd here I guess the prudent course of action is Kyle Ragsdale's method from his EQ by ear YouTube video, applying cuts in those areas to center up those problem regions. Basically manually steering the image back in those areas.

I don't have the vocabulary for this.. Group delay maybe? But I guess due in small or large part from the EQ FIR filters already applied.

Just thought I'd share.

John I like how you put it to me on Facebook. The struggle is real.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log

Last edited by Babs; 01-14-2016 at 06:01 PM..
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016   #157

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 davewpy will become famous soon enoughdavewpy will become famous soon enoughdavewpy will become famous soon enoughdavewpy will become famous soon enoughdavewpy will become famous soon enoughdavewpy will become famous soon enough

I personally do individual drivers level matching, individual EQ, then system XO followed by rough/measured TA. Then repeat the same by ears to verify.

The key is in what to listen for and the devil is in the details. The sequence will be back and forth.

When I started out, the first thing I did was XO. Then TA with EQ last.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Volkswagen Jetta MK5 | Alpine X008EU | Helix DSP Pro | Brax GX2400 | JL Audio HD 1200/1
Micro-Precision Series 7 Tweeters | Series 5 Widebands | Series 7 Mid-Bass | JL Audio 12W6v3
davewpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2016   #158

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 mbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enough

My 2cents.....

This thread at its beginning discusses how time and volume both affect perception (ITD and IID). So.....if you t/a matching drivers (e.g., the mid one side to the mid on the other) by ear (e.g., adjust t/a of one mid) so that the pink noise in the focus under the rearview before level matching, you are only considering the time effects. When the volume of each is matched (I use an RTA on my phone or REW if my friend is available) from the driver seat, that matching will then change the location of where pink noise is centered and t/a is done again.

If volume (e.g., level) is matched first, that is done independent of t/a. volume is volume and as each driver is done by itself, it is independent of arrival times (e.g., level matching is not affected by t/a). Once the levels are matched, then the t/a is done and 2 rather than 3 steps are needed.

Now, im sure I missed something here and am actually looking for criticism as to what it is.

Maybe my thoughts are only relevant where ITD and IID are both present (e.g., around 1khz). Actually, looking back at the start of this thread is informative in that levels may only really matter for tweeters (see post 13).

Thanks for advice, I just have theories and only 2 builds of experience so looking for the those with more to set me right!

BMW >> Mobridge DA3 >> Arc 600/4 to Morel 230 tweets/Morel Hybrid 4" mids and Arc 600/4 to stock Harmon Kardon 8" mid-basses and single 10W3.
mbradlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2016   #159
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Default The Essentials of Sound Quality IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradlawrence View Post
My 2cents.....

This thread at its beginning discusses how time and volume both affect perception (ITD and IID). So.....if you t/a matching drivers (e.g., the mid one side to the mid on the other) by ear (e.g., adjust t/a of one mid) so that the pink noise in the focus under the rearview before level matching, you are only considering the time effects. When the volume of each is matched (I use an RTA on my phone or REW if my friend is available) from the driver seat, that matching will then change the location of where pink noise is centered and t/a is done again.

If volume (e.g., level) is matched first, that is done independent of t/a. volume is volume and as each driver is done by itself, it is independent of arrival times (e.g., level matching is not affected by t/a). Once the levels are matched, then the t/a is done and 2 rather than 3 steps are needed.

Now, im sure I missed something here and am actually looking for criticism as to what it is.

Maybe my thoughts are only relevant where ITD and IID are both present (e.g., around 1khz). Actually, looking back at the start of this thread is informative in that levels may only really matter for tweeters (see post 13).

Thanks for advice, I just have theories and only 2 builds of experience so looking for the those with more to set me right!

That is essentially why I didn't do the TA by ear at the beginning, because EQ/Levels can affect the left right balance and shift an image out of center. By matching the speakers first with EQ, you are effectively removing that potential skew in the results from intensity differences. Like you said, fewer steps.

IID/ITD ranges are not brick walls. They overlap like a crossover. So even though a midbass might be ITD dominated, there can still be an IID influence.

Now, if we are talking about time alignment by more scientific means like IR, and we are only interested in arrival time then it's inconsequential if the levels are matched. Arrival time is arrival time to a computer. It doesn't care about the psychoacoustic sod center image location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016   #160

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 35 Ainuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Essentials of Sound Quality: Advice Based on My Trials and Tribulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
Setting Gains:

Intro:
  • Setting amplifier gains can be as complicated as using an oscilloscope with a dummy load or simply using a $10 digital multimeter (DMM) and Ohm’s Law. A scope will let you know when the output signal is clipping (distorting). The DMM method assumes you know at what voltage for a given load the output signal will clip. I will discuss the latter.
  • Since most (brand-name) amplifiers will do their rated, continuous power per spec, all you need is to connect the multimeter to the speaker output of the amplifier and raise the gain until you achieve the required output voltage while playing a tone through your cd player
    • Ohm’s law is used to determine amplifier output voltage. An online calculator can be found here: Ohm's Law Calculator
    • Use an attenuated tone, such as -10dB or -5dB as this will allow additional volume for ‘quiet’ tracks. 0dB tones may be used in lieu of attenuated tones IF you listen to heavily compressed music.
    • Tones can be downloaded here: Realm of Excursion
  • The tone should be in the bandpass of what you are setting the gain for. For example:
    • If you are setting subwoofer amp gains, use a 40hz tone.
    • If you are setting midrange amp gains, use a 1khz tone.

Setting gains with a DMM:
  • Here is a quick guide to properly setting your system gains using nothing more than a DMM.
  • Reset all your cd player DSP features, balance, fader, etc to ‘default’.
  • Disconnect all speakers to keep from damaging them (and your hearing).
  • We will assume your cd player puts out clean, undistorted signal at near maximum. Play your tone (-10dB suggested) and increase the headunit volume to a click or two below max.
  • Knowing the amps’ rated power at a given load (ohm) obtained from manufacturer’s spec (assuming they are a reputable brand), use Ohm’s law to determine voltage needed.
  • For example, with a 4 ohm load and 100wRMS rating, the output voltage should be 20VRMS.
  • Set the DMM to “VAC”, which is AC Voltage.
  • Connect the leads of the DMM to the amp’s appropriate speaker output and increase the amp gain until you achieve this voltage
  • Repeat for each channel.
You’ve now set up your system to maximize output and performance with a wide variety of music.
Keep in mind, when level matching, you can use your decrease amp gains as opposed to decreasing output level on your DSP. Though, I choose to maximize the gain structure up the chain as much as possible and make adjustments at one place (such as a DSP) just to keep things simple.
Okay, here's a newbie question:
Let's assume that my DSP doesn't put out a clean signal near maximum (0db on my H800). Let's say 1k tone clips at -22db setting on the dial (running through digital optical via AirPlay, which I do assume to not clip at maximum). Higher tones clip down to -25db. So let's be safe and say that max unclipped signal is -25db.
This is the DSP volume level that I should be setting amp gains to with a -10db 1K tone?

And for tweeters, I should be using something more like 4K tone, right? The h800 won't let me lower the tweeter crossover below 1K, and it seems that being more into the range it will be playing is better to test than right at the crossover point, no? (generally have HP at 2.2K 4th order).

Mainly asking because I set the gains using -10db tones with DSP level at -0db, and had to turn the midbass amp down to about 1/3 to get 21V (output on amp is 115W @ 4ohm). It sounded like dogs**t, distorting the top end so much it was unbearable. It's only listenable with the volume (DSP) set to <-20db, which makes me think is due to signal clipping. At that level, you can carry out a conversation above the music, it's so low...

Any advice welcome.

2009 Honda Odyssey; OEM HU & AirPlay (optical)> PXA-H800 > Soundstream PN4.520D > K-Audio KAXBLTWT & Kappa coaxial rear (fill), PN2.350D > Kappa 6.5" midbass, PPI A900.1 > Dayton 10" Ref HO Sealed
Ainuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016   #161

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 35 Ainuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enoughAinuke will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Essentials of Sound Quality: Advice Based on My Trials and Tribulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainuke View Post
Okay, here's a newbie question:
Let's assume that my DSP doesn't put out a clean signal near maximum (0db on my H800). Let's say 1k tone clips at -22db setting on the dial (running through digital optical via AirPlay, which I do assume to not clip at maximum). Higher tones clip down to -25db. So let's be safe and say that max unclipped signal is -25db.
This is the DSP volume level that I should be setting amp gains to with a -10db 1K tone?

And for tweeters, I should be using something more like 4K tone, right? The h800 won't let me lower the tweeter crossover below 1K, and it seems that being more into the range it will be playing is better to test than right at the crossover point, no? (generally have HP at 2.2K 4th order).

Mainly asking because I set the gains using -10db tones with DSP level at -0db, and had to turn the midbass amp down to about 1/3 to get 21V (output on amp is 115W @ 4ohm). It sounded like dogs**t, distorting the top end so much it was unbearable. It's only listenable with the volume (DSP) set to <-20db, which makes me think is due to signal clipping. At that level, you can carry out a conversation above the music, it's so low...

Any advice welcome.
Okay, answered my own question.
-10db tone at -25db on the dial doesn't get me anywhere close to 21V on the midbass amp with the gain maxed. The sub amp won't even pretend to want to hit 30v. Even with -1db tone and -15db on the dial, the sub amp gets a bit over 22v with max gain.

However, it does sound awesome now...

2009 Honda Odyssey; OEM HU & AirPlay (optical)> PXA-H800 > Soundstream PN4.520D > K-Audio KAXBLTWT & Kappa coaxial rear (fill), PN2.350D > Kappa 6.5" midbass, PPI A900.1 > Dayton 10" Ref HO Sealed
Ainuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2016   #162

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 16 caraudiopimps will become famous soon enoughcaraudiopimps will become famous soon enoughcaraudiopimps will become famous soon enoughcaraudiopimps will become famous soon enoughcaraudiopimps will become famous soon enoughcaraudiopimps will become famous soon enough

Phenomenal write up!
caraudiopimps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2016   #163

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 brother_c will become famous soon enoughbrother_c will become famous soon enoughbrother_c will become famous soon enoughbrother_c will become famous soon enoughbrother_c will become famous soon enoughbrother_c will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the information it is greatly appreciated. You did a great job of explaining many of the more complex details as well as the interactions of changes that are made when tuning. Instead of reading countless threads where the replies seem to be the revolving 'my way is better than yours' or 'i can tune a 500 system an it will blow your doors off tuning is all that matters' It's nice to have something meaningful to revisit. Everyone started somewhere it's cool that you took the time to provide an excellent starting point for others.
brother_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017   #164
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 30 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

Test cd link is bad, looking for 1/3oct correlated pn.

Any chance anyone can help me out?

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 x2 sealed, Arc KS600.2, Arc KS900.6, SI TM65v1, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017   #165
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
Test cd link is bad, looking for 1/3oct correlated pn.

Any chance anyone can help me out?
PM me your email

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017   #166

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
PM me your email
Me to me to

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017   #167
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.terror View Post
Me to me to

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Pm me your email

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement