"Light Duty" Router Table & Circle Jig. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 68 jnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enough

Default "Light Duty" Router Table & Circle Jig.

After cutting my 50th or so set of mdf rings I decided I needed something better than than a jigsaw setup. I don't do enough to justify $600 plus for a good router & table setup.

I put the following together in a couple of evenings and figured I'd share it in case anyone else can use it.

Disclaimer: I'm a rough carpenter, not not a finish carpenter or routering expert.

Here goes...

This is my laminate router (about $90), and a piece of scrap 3/4 HDPE (cutting board plastic, $5).

I marked out the shape of the base on the HDPE and cut this out, leaving about 1/4 inch for the router to be secured to.

Cut out the opening for the router bits to operate through, then drilled the holes to line up with the threaded holes on the base of the router.

Drilled countersink holes for the router base screws.

Cut a slot and installed metal track from a dremel circle jig (I believe you can buy this from home depot etc.)

Here is the router installed on the HDPE.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
jnchantler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 68 jnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enough

Next was mounting this contraption to a solid surface.

It is going on the workbench, next to the reloading press.

I chamfered the backside of the HDPE to give it a lip that it could sit down flush on.

Then I put together a rectangle jig, formed around inner chamfered edge of the HDPE.

Jig lined up on the workbench nice and square.

First pass with the flush trim bit. (The style where the bearing is closer to the router so that you don't have to cut all the way through with one pass.

Taking out the rest of the depth.

Chamfered the edge of this with the same depth as the remaining lip on the HDPE. (Hadn't quite finished chamferring when I took the photo).

Old 06-18-2014   #3

DIYMA Novice

And here it is installed. It's just press-fit right now but I will through bolt it later.

Old 06-18-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Default Re: "Light Duty" Router Table & Circle Jig.

well thats pretty damn awesome..

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 147 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

I bet trying to get subwoofer cut outs won't be too easy if box is already assembled.

I use a Jasper jig.

Probably perfect for trim rings.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014   #6

DIYMA Novice

Yeah, trying to cut a hole in a box after its made probably wouldn't work. I have a Rockler circle jig that I'd use for that. The problems I was trying to get around with the pre-made circle jigs is the fact that none are made for a laminate router, and I couldn't find any circle jigs that would go below 6inches.

Old 06-18-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 REGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enough

My broke arse seriously needs to get going on one of these. Ive been thinking about it for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
If you spend 6500 on a single sub, I will drive to your house and punch you in the balls.
REGULARCAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014   #8

DIYMA Novice

Default "Light Duty" Router Table & Circle Jig.

This was my last circle jig, so at least it's a step in the right direction.

Old 06-26-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 131 optimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enough

This is the bees knees right here ! Cool ass ideas guys !
optimaprime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 46 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

Don't want to thread jack, can someone recommend me a router for car audio purpose. Something under $100. I was going to buy one from home Depot for around $60, but I decided to ask on here for a suggestion because I have no knowledge of this. Thanks

Avoid trading time for $$$ with few short-term exceptions.
SQLnovice is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014   #11

DIYMA Novice

Well, I wouldnt recommend the router that I used above as technically it was a laminate trimmer and I just broke it last weekend. For 100 you might want to look in to refurbs or used on ebay. I'd recommend a porter cable as they do make the best routers. If your willing to stretch to 150 Rockler has a small Dewalt router on sale too.
Old 07-27-2014   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Sith Lord

Rep Power: 76 damonryoung will become famous soon enoughdamonryoung will become famous soon enoughdamonryoung will become famous soon enoughdamonryoung will become famous soon enoughdamonryoung will become famous soon enoughdamonryoung will become famous soon enoughdamonryoung will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQLnovice View Post
Don't want to thread jack, can someone recommend me a router for car audio purpose. Something under $100. I was going to buy one from home Depot for around $60, but I decided to ask on here for a suggestion because I have no knowledge of this. Thanks
I would look at this eBay listing... B&D RP200

Although this guy is gouging on the shipping, you are still getting a pretty decent router for around $70. I use this router and it will do most anything you need...

damonryoung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 46 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

jnchantler, thanks for the suggestion, but 150 is a little out of my budget atm. However for $160 it comes with a case, which is a plus.
DRTHJTA, i found the b&d pr250 for $67, instead of the pr200. I most likely will go with this one.
Black and Decker RP250 Plunge Router, Variable Speed Plunge Router, Motor Plunge Router, Spindle Lock Plunge Router, Black and Decker Router

Avoid trading time for $$$ with few short-term exceptions.
SQLnovice is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 95 DLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enoughDLO13 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DLO13 Send a message via Skype™ to DLO13

Sears.com

Looking at this one as well as that B&D

I have 6's on my dash
2013 Prius Build Log
DLO13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 153 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnchantler View Post
Yeah, trying to cut a hole in a box after its made probably wouldn't work. I have a Rockler circle jig that I'd use for that. The problems I was trying to get around with the pre-made circle jigs is the fact that none are made for a laminate router, and I couldn't find any circle jigs that would go below 6inches.

I have the Makita compact router kit [the last generation], and the plunge base fits to the Jasper Jig:

Makita RT0700CX3

It's incredibly hard to find a router plate that will accomodate the plunge base. There's plates out there that allegedly fit the Makita 3612 (?) base, but they're still expensive
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 84 myhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enough

Circle cutting router jigs are one of the easiest jigs to make. I've made lots of quick jigs out of scrap wood or plexi glass that cost pennies to make. I like plexi glass because you can see through it when you are routing, but 1/4" to 1/2' MDF or similar will do the job just as well.

This is not one of mine and it is even more fancy than it needs to be, but you get the idea:
http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2003/0...121_1ca_lg.jpg

"Man I wish I could listen to some Tatooine, Wind & Fire right now."
myhikingboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014   #17

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhikingboots View Post
Circle cutting router jigs are one of the easiest jigs to make. I've made lots of quick jigs out of scrap wood or plexi glass that cost pennies to make. I like plexi glass because you can see through it when you are routing, but 1/4" to 1/2' MDF or similar will do the job just as well.

This is not one of mine and it is even more fancy than it needs to be, but you get the idea:
http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2003/0...121_1ca_lg.jpg
And that's true, but there is more to this than just a circle jig. There are a lot of routing applications that need some form of a table to get good results, ie rabbiting or.chamfing edges, it's hard to get good results using the router free hand on top of the material. I put this up for guys in my boat, that can't justify $500 for a router table set up and circle jig for the two times their going to use it, or would rather put that $500 into the car.
Old 09-09-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 153 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondAudio View Post
I have the Makita compact router kit [the last generation], and the plunge base fits to the Jasper Jig:

Makita RT0700CX3

It's incredibly hard to find a router plate that will accomodate the plunge base. There's plates out there that allegedly fit the Makita 3612 (?) base, but they're still expensive
I also picked up this handy kit a couple of weeks ago. I was mostly interested in the clear router base - maybe I can use it as the heart of a little router table. I'll see how helpful it ends up being:

Milescraft 1223 - Router Guide Kit

Amazon link
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 33 r000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enough

This is so badass!
r000z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 4 BillC will become famous soon enoughBillC will become famous soon enoughBillC will become famous soon enoughBillC will become famous soon enoughBillC will become famous soon enoughBillC will become famous soon enough

For just cutting holes or making rings up to 12 inches a rotozip works pretty good, entire setup cost less than $100. I'll post pictures of mine soon, you just have to buy the 1/4" all purpose bit. It works great!
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement