INCREASE MID BASS! How to Sound Deaden Like a Pro - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2014   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 mklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enough

Default INCREASE MID BASS! How to Sound Deaden Like a Pro

Hey guys! I see a lot of questions here about sound deadening and how to get the most bass out of your front speakers so I wanted to make something to help you guys out!

In order to get the most out of our front speakers we need to take some steps installing sound deadening, and do it properly. This video will show you how you can improve your mid bass by making your door into more of a cavity simulating a subwoofer enclosure. It also shows how you can use CLD tiles, Mass Loaded Vinyl, and Closed Cell Foam to properly deaden the entire door.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3EXuHlBy4M[/YOUTUBE]

Check it out and let me know what you guys think!
mklett33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 147 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

I must be doing something wrong. Link isn't working for me. Phone perhaps???

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 hot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura abouthot9dog has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: INCREASE MID BASS! How to Sound Deaden Like a Pro

very straight forward and to the point, I enjoy watching all of the CAF videos. Very well done!
hot9dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 147 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Ahhh.. found a way around it. Great vid! :thumbup:

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #5

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Q Logic / Hooker Audio
Position:
VP of Marketing

Rep Power: 31 CarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enough

I said it before on Reddit. Probably one of the best examples of how to do it right but man thats a lot of money going on that door lol
CarAudioChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 39 ben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enough

I always enjoy these vids and am insanely jealous of the space that car has between the door and the trim. There is no way I could fit that mlv between mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ben54b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 mklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enoughmklett33 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerst22 View Post
Nice job on the video! I need to get some of those foam rings.
Did you see my other video that is more focused on these rings? I go more in detail on how they are used.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WKCFHGwRY
Old 12-19-2014   #8

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot9dog View Post
very straight forward and to the point, I enjoy watching all of the CAF videos. Very well done!
Thanks! Glad you like it and I appreciate your support!
Old 12-19-2014   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 44 YukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerst22 View Post
Thanks. Just ordered a pair. They only go up 6.5" but do to the design of my door I don't need it to go completely around.
Yeah I'm going to have to DIY some for my 8's... Wish they would just make them for 8's lol
YukonXL04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 119 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Nice video! From what I know of its use, though, you have way more cld than is necessary. (Feel free to correct me on that if anyone knows differently..)

2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 12 Installer
MECP Advanced Installation Technician
www.1sixty8.com team member
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 119 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonXL04 View Post
Yeah I'm going to have to DIY some for my 8's... Wish they would just make them for 8's lol
You can just cut them and put the pieces together to make an 8" version. It's foam, its pretty flexible.. (I did that in my door...)

2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 12 Installer
MECP Advanced Installation Technician
www.1sixty8.com team member
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough

Another great video! Your videos have been very helpful. Thanks
1fishman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Rolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enough

Great video.
How did you like using the luxury liner pro on the doors? I always thought it was to heavy to hang.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014   #14

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 44 YukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enoughYukonXL04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOey@simplicityinsound View Post
You can just cut them and put the pieces together to make an 8" version. It's foam, its pretty flexible.. (I did that in my door...)
Hmm didn't think of that lol. I may just do that lol. Thanks!

To the op, great video man.
YukonXL04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 Fetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAudioChris View Post
I said it before on Reddit. Probably one of the best examples of how to do it right but man thats a lot of money going on that door lol
Are there actually any decent car audio subreddits? I looked a while ago, didn't find much...
Fetus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014   #16

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

While applying CLD to a door has been the go-to method for increasing midbass response over the years - me being subject to doing it myself in ridiculous amounts - based on my past experience, I think your efforts are better spent on bracing the door (in whichever fashion you deem best; personally I've used dowels). You'll notice that the really well built low-frequency enclosures don't have CLD slapped all over them. However, they are braced very well.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 116 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
While applying CLD to a door has been the go-to method for increasing midbass response over the years - me being subject to doing it myself in ridiculous amounts - based on my past experience, I think your efforts are better spent on bracing the door (in whichever fashion you deem best; personally I've used dowels). You'll notice that the really well built low-frequency enclosures don't have CLD slapped all over them. However, they are braced very well.
Completely agreed. CLD is just not capable of stopping the kind of vibration caused by mounting a speaker to a door, even in multiple layers. Bracing is the much better option if you're willing to pursue it.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014   #18

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Q Logic / Hooker Audio
Position:
VP of Marketing

Rep Power: 31 CarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enoughCarAudioChris will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetus View Post
Are there actually any decent car audio subreddits? I looked a while ago, didn't find much...
Car Audio and Video isn't horrible. I like to help answer questions so for me it works well but it may not be for everyone
CarAudioChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 61 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

How can you brace and still have full window up and down function?
I've considered that but in reviewing the inner door with the window down, there's no room available for my door. I guess other vehicles are different.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Sub'd.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 116 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

You don't have to brace from the outer skin to the inner, although that is the best way. You could also for instance, bolt a couple prices of u - channel steel or aluminum to the inner skin to stiffen it up.

You in the end have to evaluate your door panel, and decide what to do. If you can brace, and are willing to make the mods to do it, I would always suggest that over layering it with a bunch of cld.

Old 12-24-2014   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 98 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Good!

26 hrs to shoot it , take 2-3 hrs from the total time it took to do each door.

I agree a lot of money in materials went in each door.

For the ones wanting to have a factory pro look with easy access to door servicing

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 Carlton8000 will become famous soon enoughCarlton8000 will become famous soon enoughCarlton8000 will become famous soon enoughCarlton8000 will become famous soon enoughCarlton8000 will become famous soon enoughCarlton8000 will become famous soon enough

I have never thought of bracing the door. It should in theory give superior results. Any one have any pics they would like to share of a door with added braces?
Carlton8000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

There was a thread about "what's the biggest midbass you've crammed in a door" or something like that. Had a couple of pictures including one of the best bracing jobs I've ever seen.

Old 12-24-2014   #25

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 86 garysummers will become famous soon enoughgarysummers will become famous soon enoughgarysummers will become famous soon enoughgarysummers will become famous soon enoughgarysummers will become famous soon enoughgarysummers will become famous soon enoughgarysummers will become famous soon enough

Spent two years trying all the methods and materials suggested in this video with the addition of semi hardening modeling clay. None of it came even close to this as far as accurate mid-bass reproduction.

Mercedes Midbass Enclosures
garysummers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement