How to Tune a DSP - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 63 spyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enough

Default How to Tune a DSP

I got a new processor, so I decided to do some videos and hopefully help some people out that are first time DSP users, and maybe clear some things up on getting it set. Obviously there's a million and 3 ways to get to the end result, this is just what I have found to work for me. The last 2 videos are being uploaded right now, but the first 10 are up.

If there's any other things you guys want me to cover, or would like to see, just let me know.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

This is the first 10, the last 2 are being uploaded now, then I will likely do more about sound and acoustic theory if people are interested.

au·dio·phile: Audiophiles’ became one of the most bizarre cults of the previous century. Claiming to be gifted with golden ears, audiophiles can hear electrons traveling in wires, and have the ability to channel thought into crystals to ward off evil harmonics, and cloaking themselves in mystical terms unrelated to music and physics.NEW: Check out my Build Log!
spyders03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2015   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 46 troutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to Tune a DSP

Nice job Spyders! There are not many videos around the net about tuning with REW and a DSP so this should help people get a much better understanding and to not be nervous about venturing into the world of DSP.

Like you said, there are a thousand ways of tuning but if I could offer a suggestion. A possibly faster and more precise method for PEQ'ing drivers may be achieved by using measuring sweeps and placement of the mic as outlined by Hanatsu in his thread First-timers guide to measuring your system.

After you take your measurements and average them, you can then use REW's EQ feature to match to a target response. This will give precise values in both frequency and Q that you can enter into the DSP software without having to flip back and fourth and work certain frequencies with trial and error Q's. Your experience shines here but for someone new, sweeps and matching to target could provide better results.

Also, crossovers. Your experience shines here again but if you could throw up a video of overlapping SPL graphs of average responses of individual speakers, it would show the audible crossover and take some guess work out of people trying to figure out the best crossover points. There are a thousand posts on this forum about "Where should I set my crossovers" and I am sure I probably made a few of them! but with using REW, it will tell you. There is finesse after that but it is the best starting point one could get.

Once again, nice job and thank you for taking the time to show this to people. Since I started using a DSP and REW and I cannot tell people enough to jump into this world, the results are worth it.
troutspinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 63 spyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
Nice job Spyders! There are not many videos around the net about tuning with REW and a DSP so this should help people get a much better understanding and to not be nervous about venturing into the world of DSP.

Like you said, there are a thousand ways of tuning but if I could offer a suggestion. A possibly faster and more precise method for PEQ'ing drivers may be achieved by using measuring sweeps and placement of the mic as outlined by Hanatsu in his thread First-timers guide to measuring your system.

After you take your measurements and average them, you can then use REW's EQ feature to match to a target response. This will give precise values in both frequency and Q that you can enter into the DSP software without having to flip back and fourth and work certain frequencies with trial and error Q's. Your experience shines here but for someone new, sweeps and matching to target could provide better results.

Also, crossovers. Your experience shines here again but if you could throw up a video of overlapping SPL graphs of average responses of individual speakers, it would show the audible crossover and take some guess work out of people trying to figure out the best crossover points. There are a thousand posts on this forum about "Where should I set my crossovers" and I am sure I probably made a few of them! but with using REW, it will tell you. There is finesse after that but it is the best starting point one could get.

Once again, nice job and thank you for taking the time to show this to people. Since I started using a DSP and REW and I cannot tell people enough to jump into this world, the results are worth it.
Thanks for the good advice, and I will likely do future videos on using sweeps, but figured this is an easier way to get started, since you can play pink noise off of a CD, and not have to worry about input and output and everything. And I talk some more about crossovers in the part 7 and 8, when we get into EQ'ing each driver. I will likely do more videos talking about such things, and actually have a game plan on actually showing the effects of such adjustments, and over-underlapping. Thanks again for the positive feedback, and I will try and work on your suggestions also.

au·dio·phile: Audiophiles’ became one of the most bizarre cults of the previous century. Claiming to be gifted with golden ears, audiophiles can hear electrons traveling in wires, and have the ability to channel thought into crystals to ward off evil harmonics, and cloaking themselves in mystical terms unrelated to music and physics.NEW: Check out my Build Log!

Old 04-23-2015   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 45 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

Vote to please sticky this.

Avoid trading time for $$$ with few short-term exceptions.
SQLnovice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 60 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Very cool, thanks for your time!

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 38 brumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enough

Have not watched yet but I definitely will be. Thanks for posting.
brumledb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 46 troutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enoughtroutspinner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyders03 View Post
figured this is an easier way to get started, since you can play pink noise off of a CD, and not have to worry about input and output and everything.
I sometimes forget how easy I have it. The HU in my truck has a 3.5mm jack so it's just a plug from there to the laptop. Had it been some other vehicles I've had, this makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyders03 View Post
I talk some more about crossovers in the part 7 and 8, when we get into EQ'ing each driver. I will likely do more videos talking about such things, and actually have a game plan on actually showing the effects of such adjustments, and over-underlapping.
Nice! Can't wait to see that. I recently played with overlapping heavily with mixed results. I'd like to see someone else's approach and opinions.

Keep up the good work!
troutspinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 86 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Great job on the videos Kyle. Had a question on video 5 on the Tracerite software. You mentioned if you are using a Pioneer HU, to select that option when calculating the TA. If you have a Pioneer HU but are doing the TA, xover and eq in the Helix does that still hold true?

bigbubba is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
Great job on the videos Kyle. Had a question on video 5 on the Tracerite software. You mentioned if you are using a Pioneer HU, to select that option when calculating the TA. If you have a Pioneer HU but are doing the TA, xover and eq in the Helix does that still hold true?
No, because you are using the helix for time alignment

Old 06-10-2015   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 Sonic525 will become famous soon enoughSonic525 will become famous soon enoughSonic525 will become famous soon enoughSonic525 will become famous soon enoughSonic525 will become famous soon enoughSonic525 will become famous soon enough

This is awesome. Thank you so much spyders03. Need to set some time aside and watch all your vids. I have been looking for something like this for quite some time now.

Sonic525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

What?!

Rep Power: 112 lizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enough

When using the RTA. What bit rate and sampling should be used? 16 bit, 24 bit, 48k or 44.1k sampling. I notice you have it setup as 16 bit @ 44.1k sampling.
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015   #12
Classifieds Access
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 40 #1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough

Fantastic. I agree this should be a sticky.
#1BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2015   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Robo99 will become famous soon enoughRobo99 will become famous soon enoughRobo99 will become famous soon enoughRobo99 will become famous soon enoughRobo99 will become famous soon enoughRobo99 will become famous soon enough

Very handy, especially for new users. Thank you for the time vested and the way you try to make every person understand. This is a handy go-to for any standalone DSP, or HU with DSP user.
Robo99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2015   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Thanks for the great feedback guys. If there's anything you want me to do videos on in the future, please let me know.

Old 07-08-2015   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 markn01 will become famous soon enoughmarkn01 will become famous soon enoughmarkn01 will become famous soon enoughmarkn01 will become famous soon enoughmarkn01 will become famous soon enoughmarkn01 will become famous soon enough

Great info!
markn01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 57 crackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enough

Had a binge watching session this evening, great info! Definitely gave me some ideas to try.

Curious if you will upload the CD with 31 band pink noise you mentioned in the last vid. Would be great!

crackinhedz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 92 truckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enough

Subbed for future reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbassplay
It's not a party until the bottoms come off.
truckerfte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 vabch22 will become famous soon enoughvabch22 will become famous soon enoughvabch22 will become famous soon enoughvabch22 will become famous soon enoughvabch22 will become famous soon enoughvabch22 will become famous soon enough

sub'd for my noob self. thanks so much for this!
vabch22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 85 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

Well this is a sticky if I've ever seen one!
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015   #20
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 112 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

Information!!!

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 174 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbOOm View Post
Well this is a sticky if I've ever seen one!
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
sub'd for my noob self. thanks so much for this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerfte View Post
Subbed for future reference
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Had a binge watching session this evening, great info! Definitely gave me some ideas to try.

Curious if you will upload the CD with 31 band pink noise you mentioned in the last vid. Would be great!
Search for Kyle in here and you'll see how many times I refer folks to Kyle's vid series. It literally got me up and running actually putting the knowledge to use and learning so much more by actually DOING the tuning finally.. Putting the information gained from guys like Erin, Kyle, Chad, others to good use.

The vids prove one thing to me. There's no substitute for actually seeing it being done. You can tell a guy all day long how to Build a sub box, or smoke a rack of ribs, but a 10 minute video is absolute king of the hill.. Especially a whole series of them.

A video is worth a thousand threads.

.. In short. Thank you from this newb who knows enough to be dangerous but a helluva lot more after watching these vids (over... And over)!

2008 Civic Si Sedan - DEX-P99RS, Helix DSP Pro-2, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 39 Phil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enough

I found your videos on Utube before this here. I think they are very informative, Thank you for sharing. I do have to do a lot of sifting and jumping around for a newb like me. I look forward to seeing a step by step of first things first, " ...After you have all your gear in....etc". Do this, then this, then this, and that.

Something I can follow would be a blessing. None the less this is surely something to add in to other videos to get me started from top to bottom.
Some are doing it while in the car, others NOT in the car...etc.
Also, I have seen people take RTA readings with the zero axis head on narrow angle of the mic, and I seen your ear to ear 90 degree version, and then yet I have heard to take readings of the tweeters in dash from opposite sides of the Car for better results.

(left tweeter, right passenger window/right tweeter, driver window). etc...

Does it make a difference? Why?, and how? and is there a measurable better method?
Phil Indeblanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

kyle, wheres the video on how to tune a for a 2 seat Car

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 39 Phil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enough

Just take half of what he said into consideration for a 2 seater
Phil Indeblanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015   #25
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Indeblanc View Post
Just take half of what he said into consideration for a 2 seater
take half... ? i was a joke btw. tuning a 2 seat Car is a nightmare

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement