Using Ribbon tweeters in the car - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 Megalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Megalomaniac

Default Re: Using Ribbon tweeters in the car

:drool: but i wonder if its too high and offaxis

Last edited by Megalomaniac; 01-03-2008 at 09:48 PM..
Megalomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008   #27

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 124 Sex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enough

So many options.
Sex Cells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 132 drake78 will become famous soon enoughdrake78 will become famous soon enoughdrake78 will become famous soon enoughdrake78 will become famous soon enoughdrake78 will become famous soon enoughdrake78 will become famous soon enough

I love my lcy 108 ribbons. They are the best tweets I have ever own. They are all that and then some. two thumbs way up^^.
drake78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 186 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hic View Post
CVjoint, how did you end up mounting them?
They went on the dash for a year or so. I just finished my kickpanels for them today. The dash location was too sensitive to reflections from the side windows and I'm trying to get more coherence with my other speakers. The LCYs never really blended in, they sound too different from other speakers, like the total opposite of soft domes. Maybe kicks will help. Stay tuned.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Dispersion is the problem, [ horiz= excellent, vert= need to set the tweeter for the best vertical dispersion ].
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008   #31

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dexza will become famous soon enoughdexza will become famous soon enoughdexza will become famous soon enoughdexza will become famous soon enoughdexza will become famous soon enoughdexza will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to dexza

i used aurum cantus G2 ribon tweeter on A pillar

McIntosh MX5000+MPM4000+MCD5000 – Scan Speak ring radiator R29+Revelator midrange, midbass – Hybrid amp+Telefunken E88CC - Sound Splinter RL-P – UsAmps 2000X– ensemble – Audience Au24 – WBT 0150
dexza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008   #32

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 141 Soundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
:drool: but i wonder if its too high and offaxis

That's very close to how I've mounted mine. Height is perfect. I like the mid off axis like that, keeps the 1-5k range from being too in your face. Yet with the tweet on axis, all of the detail remains.
Damn, those Alfa interiors are soooo nice!

B&C 6NDL44, BG Neo8PDR, BG Neo3PDR, Peerless XXLS
Pioneer 880PRS, Massive Audio RS40.4, JL e6450
Soundsaround is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Steel manipulator

Rep Power: 143 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

Then how does the ribbon compare to a small planar like the Neo 3 that people seem to like on this site?
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 186 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Safe to say kicks helped! Ribbons blend in perfectly, staging is nearly perfect and eye level. I had two unexperienced listeners claim I have speakers in the pillars or on the dash soo I'll say that's darn good proof for a high stage

BTW don't like the way those Hertz mids are mounted in the pillar, that's the worst spot I could ever find for my Neo 8. Reflections will eat your soul, the guy better have some heavy duty RTA at his disposal. I do like the one on the dash facing the windshield, that gives good results in any setup I've heard.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 01-08-2008   #35
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 194 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Generally speaking, planars have a much different sound to my ears than pure ribbons. Less refined, with significantly poorer horizontal dispersion.

I would also never mount a ribbon that close to my head, or on it's side. I agree with Cvjoint that kicks are the ideal place for them in a car, as these are not traditional point source drivers.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 Megalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enoughMegalomaniac will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsaround View Post
That's very close to how I've mounted mine. Height is perfect. I like the mid off axis like that, keeps the 1-5k range from being too in your face. Yet with the tweet on axis, all of the detail remains.
Damn, those Alfa interiors are soooo nice!
idk. i thought planers/ribbons need a lot of natural paths
Megalomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008   #37

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 141 Soundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post

BTW don't like the way those Hertz mids are mounted in the pillar, that's the worst spot I could ever find for my Neo 8. Reflections will eat your soul, the guy better have some heavy duty RTA at his disposal. I do like the one on the dash facing the windshield, that gives good results in any setup I've heard.
That's funny, my experience was exactly the opposite. Facing the windshield sounded harsh and shouty, and the off axis a-pillar position relieved most of that. No doubt reflection issues were still there, but some careful eq work balanced it all out nicely.
That said, I too found kicks to be the easiest to work with and depth and width was amazing with little effort. Not so practical in my car though, and I love the way the Neo3 and Neo8 sounds like one big driver when mounted very close together.

B&C 6NDL44, BG Neo8PDR, BG Neo3PDR, Peerless XXLS
Pioneer 880PRS, Massive Audio RS40.4, JL e6450
Soundsaround is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I take back what I've said about reflecting it off the glass completely. Thinking back I only heard conventional domes and mids in that position. That being said, the kicks still remain the best option for me.

Why can't you do kicks? I thought I couldn't possibly throw a single 1 inch tweeter in there. I now have an 8 inch mid, the Neo 8 and the Lcy 108 in there. Oh and I drive stick too.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 01-08-2008   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
I take back what I've said about reflecting it off the glass completely. Thinking back I only heard conventional domes and mids in that position. That being said, the kicks still remain the best option for me.

Why can't you do kicks? I thought I couldn't possibly throw a single 1 inch tweeter in there. I now have an 8 inch mid, the Neo 8 and the Lcy 108 in there. Oh and I drive stick too.
Sweet CV !!
Old 05-15-2008   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 T-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enough

Hello Friends,

i am using this 3way set from fountek and very good performance in car.fountek good ribbon products
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fountek.JPG (27.7 KB, 143 views)
T-BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008   #41

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 122 ~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough

I'm a recent convert. Some photos of the LCY108 in my dash. Car is being designed as a two seater listener, and the sound is simply fantastic. Xover is 24dB @ 6.3kHz and up.

Can do with some more angle, but the window actually adds to the offaxis response extremely well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May 2008 (8).jpg (174.7 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg May 2008 (7).jpg (157.6 KB, 485 views)

Its all about the music. Always has been, always will be. Im here for the music.
~thematt~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

~thematt~
Oz-stralian

That looks nice !!
Old 05-22-2008   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Did you notice a slight difference or a WOW ?

These have some quality to them, a certain "Je ne sais quoi" !
Old 05-22-2008   #44

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 T-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enoughT-BEAR will become famous soon enough

hello friends ,

has anyone here heard that a well know manufaturer of ribbon tweeters is actually coming out with a car audio speaker system?please let me have you feedback.thanks
Old 05-22-2008   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 197 captainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to allcaptainobvious is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~thematt~ View Post
I'm a recent convert. Some photos of the LCY108 in my dash. Car is being designed as a two seater listener, and the sound is simply fantastic. Xover is 24dB @ 6.3kHz and up.

Can do with some more angle, but the window actually adds to the offaxis response extremely well.
I take it you had to ditch the faceplate to fit them there? Looks nice.

Also, what are you using for upper midrange frequencies, and why did you end up crossing at 6.3khz? Thanks

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008   #46

DIYMA freshman

Friends,

i am using the component set from hustler and they are ribbon tweeters but very small in size comparing to the aurum cantus,the point is ribbon tweeters are really different,more live like...i enjoy it
Old 06-21-2008   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a$$hole View Post

How did they sound ?
Old 06-21-2008   #48

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 122 freeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to freeride1685

question....i have heard npdang and others suggest that a sturdy baffle can improve tweeter performance. two alternate thoughts came to mind and i want to clear them up. i want to know if that suggestion is based on the idea that a tweeter, when mounted on a strong baffle, can better resist resonances from other speakers/panels, or that a tweeter can better resist resonance within itself (or both)?

i ask this because the idea of mounting a tweet right next to an 8" mid in the kickpanel, for example, sounds like an awfully vibration-prone region to choose, despite reinforcement and sound deadening efforts. this also makes me wonder if some of the reason why coaxial speakers are not as clear as comps is because the tweeter gets rattled like crazy by the mid.

i feel like a ribbon would be even more sensitive than a dome tweeter to resonance in the structure to which it is mounted....however that statement is not based on any evidence, just my gut feelings.

Chris M. - Cell: 413.537.3430, AIM: freeride1685
freeride1685 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Think pi, 2pi [it would control the dispersion of sound ].
Old 06-23-2008   #50

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 122 ~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough

Lol, sorry guys, just recently saw this. We didnt ditch the faceplate, but did cut it up. The steel was perfect to brace the baffle that you see in the pictures. Given where it is located, and the thin nature of the baffle, if we didnt use the faceplate, it would be a bit too brittle and playing around with it may have broken it.

My mids at the moment are Dyn 140/2's, which sail up that high quite easily. I just received shipment of some Audiotechnology Cquenze 15G52's though, that will be replacing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
I take it you had to ditch the faceplate to fit them there? Looks nice.

Also, what are you using for upper midrange frequencies, and why did you end up crossing at 6.3khz? Thanks
The difference was immediate and noticeable, but given the high Xover point, it wasn't totally 'wow'. More along the lines of "hey, that's quite nice". After living with them for a few months now, I cant go back. Too good, too clean, too....right.
Quote:

Its all about the music. Always has been, always will be. Im here for the music.
~thematt~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement