Using Ribbon tweeters in the car - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Using Ribbon tweeters in the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~thematt~ View Post
My mids at the moment are Dyn 140/2's, which sail up that high quite easily. I just received shipment of some Audiotechnology Cquenze 15G52's though, that will be replacing them.
Nice
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008   #52

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Cdieselfan will become famous soon enoughCdieselfan will become famous soon enoughCdieselfan will become famous soon enoughCdieselfan will become famous soon enoughCdieselfan will become famous soon enoughCdieselfan will become famous soon enough

Looking for a tweeter to cover from about 9k and up. Like the fact everyone saus these are nice and lively, plus take very little to get loud. They would be matched up with a pr of Varetis horns and midbass's. Would anyone suggest this?
Cdieselfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 184 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm a recent convert. Some photos of the LCY108 in my dash. Car is being designed as a two seater listener, and the sound is simply fantastic. Xover is 24dB @ 6.3kHz and up.

Can do with some more angle, but the window actually adds to the offaxis response extremely well.
Wow, very nice! I used to have my ribbons on the dash when I first experimented with ribbons. Here is a few problems I stumbled over, some of which you perfectly accounted for.

Horizontal dispersion led to some harsh reflections when the windows were up. It seems that you were aware of this since you treated both left and right panels for the LCY.

You managed to mount them away from the windshield to leave your view unobstructed, that is incredible too.

The left one was always too 'hot' as it was rather close but yours seem to be mounted a fair distance. So far so good, the best attempt I've seen at running ribbons high above.

However, I'm not to keen on the two seat listener goal. In my experience if you go over 15 degrees of axis vertically the FR starts dropping. I have one ribbon rolling off at 18khz from a minor mounting angle difference. If you want to get them flat to at least 18khz in that position you will probably need very heavy eqing. You will narrow the sweetspot quite a bit if you go with anything other than on axis for one driver seating. Two driver will be even more wild.

How much reflection benefit do you get and where, how large is the sweet spot for both listeners and how desirable are these reflections to begin with?

Ohh and you should know the nickel plating on the magnet slugs will deteriorate very rapidly in direct sunlight. I suspect the magnet force will too so the sensitivity will drop.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008   #54

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 120 ~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough~thematt~ will become famous soon enough

There is some more work to do, but the window is acting (as was designed) like the mouth of a waveguide, aiding the sound instead of interfering. The baffle will need to be modified to further increase this effect though.

I am getting an off-axis FR, within detectable limits, the same as on-axis. I haven't yet tested it with a mic, and my hearing starts to fall quickly past 18k, but honestly, the sweet spot is extremely wide, with a really nice horizontal dispersion. Again, I'm going to add a bit more horizontal angle to eliminate some of the combing I'm getting that high up, but its certainly not a large issue. Reflections are minimal, and with a dashmat, easily treatable.

Also, dont forget I'm an aussie, and hence right-hand side driving (none of this wrong-side of the road/car issues).

The pictures dont show it, but you cant see the ribbons at all from the listening position. I actually lifted the camera to get those shots off. The entire spectrum of sound from them is off-axis.

As to the magnet slugs, well the ribbons arent in direct sunlight. They are tucked away nicely behind the baffles, plus the way the units are mounted in the dash, its really not in that bad a position. Further up the dash and it would be another story though.

Its all about the music. Always has been, always will be. Im here for the music.
~thematt~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 120 freeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enoughfreeride1685 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to freeride1685

can anyone suggest a great low powered amp to Power ribbons? maybe something with tubes? any suggestions appreciated.

Chris M. - Cell: 413.537.3430, AIM: freeride1685
freeride1685 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 184 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There is some more work to do, but the window is acting (as was designed) like the mouth of a waveguide, aiding the sound instead of interfering. The baffle will need to be modified to further increase this effect though.

I am getting an off-axis FR, within detectable limits, the same as on-axis. I haven't yet tested it with a mic, and my hearing starts to fall quickly past 18k, but honestly, the sweet spot is extremely wide, with a really nice horizontal dispersion. Again, I'm going to add a bit more horizontal angle to eliminate some of the combing I'm getting that high up, but its certainly not a large issue. Reflections are minimal, and with a dashmat, easily treatable.

Also, dont forget I'm an aussie, and hence right-hand side driving (none of this wrong-side of the road/car issues).

The pictures dont show it, but you cant see the ribbons at all from the listening position. I actually lifted the camera to get those shots off. The entire spectrum of sound from them is off-axis.

As to the magnet slugs, well the ribbons arent in direct sunlight. They are tucked away nicely behind the baffles, plus the way the units are mounted in the dash, its really not in that bad a position. Further up the dash and it would be another story though.
I'm really impressed. If I wasn't continents away I'd love to have a listen. It's funny how we drive on opposite sides, and I totally forgot. I wonder if we lost hearing more in one ear and it's opposite. That's a very neat install, I don't see many folks attempting waveguides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride1685 View Post
can anyone suggest a great low powered amp to Power ribbons? maybe something with tubes? any suggestions appreciated.
mehh...anything without background noise or hiss. I've heard tube amps before but I couldn't pick up a signature sound or anything, maybe I have to use it in a controlled test.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008   #57

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 127 innsanes will become famous soon enoughinnsanes will become famous soon enoughinnsanes will become famous soon enoughinnsanes will become famous soon enoughinnsanes will become famous soon enoughinnsanes will become famous soon enough

sorry, but this might be a newb question. How do these ribbon compare to the image dynamics cd1 neo horns? Seems like both are capable of crossing in the 1k-1.5k range.
innsanes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008   #58
Upgrade Your Membership!

142 fastest gun in town

Rep Power: 120 drtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enoughdrtool will become famous soon enough

My friend just ordered ICY-130 to replace Focal K2 tweets (the mid's just fine the tweets not so much) this is going to be fun.Going in a 1940 sedan delivery.

My first car had a tube amp.........1947 Dodge/ Now 87 rolla 350.000 miles just started to break it in.Bought new.4AGE power TEAM UH-OH.Founder of, Ears/Beers and Gun Club. God bless John Wayne and Johnny Cash.
drtool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008   #59

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 roysav will become famous soon enoughroysav will become famous soon enoughroysav will become famous soon enoughroysav will become famous soon enoughroysav will become famous soon enoughroysav will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to roysav Send a message via Yahoo to roysav

any specs on the caps required??
roysav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

npdang was selling all of the LCY Ribbon tweeters with 27uf (27 micro-farad) Solen Fast caps, which were about $9 each at the time. One capacitor per tweeter of course.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2008   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 119 Catman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride1685 View Post
Old School Nakamichi PA200

>^..^<

If money is the root of all evil, why do churches beg for it?
Give me liberty ...or I'll get up and get it myself.
An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 RUBBER DUCKY will become famous soon enoughRUBBER DUCKY will become famous soon enoughRUBBER DUCKY will become famous soon enoughRUBBER DUCKY will become famous soon enoughRUBBER DUCKY will become famous soon enoughRUBBER DUCKY will become famous soon enough

is it ok to remove the face plates of the ribbon tweeters?as the face plates are bloking my view,the tweeters are placed on dash.

comments will be appreciated
RUBBER DUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Ultimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enough

Do the ribbons need an enclosure? I just received my Hustler audio Mystique ribbon and all I received was a dash mount to have them facing the passenger, but then the whole driver would remain exposed.
Ultimateherts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009   #64

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Donald's Sound Works
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 111 friction is on a distinguished roadfriction is on a distinguished roadfriction is on a distinguished roadfriction is on a distinguished roadfriction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateherts View Post
Do the ribbons need an enclosure? I just received my Hustler audio Mystique ribbon and all I received was a dash mount to have them facing the passenger, but then the whole driver would remain exposed.
i don't think its necessary for an enclosure.
friction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 Candisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enough

A question pops in my head...

Ribbon tweeters have a very good horizontal off-axis respons, but a terrible vertical off-axis respons, right?

So this means, even if both tweeters are aimed at the driver, the passenger gets almost the same nice sound as the driver, if the passengers head is at the same height, but if you sit higher or lower in the Car (or a judge who has a longer/shorter body than me sits in the car), the top-end response reduces very fast.

Now, I don't give a f*ck about passengers but sometimes I'd like to sit low in my car, sometimes I'd like to sit higher, so if I want the best sound undepending if I sit higher or lower, I need a high vertical range of good detailed sound, right?

Unless somebody without legs or somebody who has much longer legs than me, the seat won't be moved back/forth so extreme that the horizontal angle of the axis changes thŠt much to reduce the top-end very much, so I don't need thŠt much of a horizontal dispertion, right?

If the answer on the 3 "right?"s is 'yes indeed', then why not mount ribbon tweeters horizontally (turned 90į) instead of 'normal' if the install is a 1-seat-install?

Edit: and an additional question: what if you mount 2 ribbon tweeters per side, next/on top of eachother, 1 mounted normal, 1 turned 90į, wouldn't that give a nice horizontal *and* vertical dispertion?

greetz,
Isabelle

Car-audio history since 2004:
- 2000 Renault Clio: cancelled... - 1992 Volvo 940: cancelled...
- 1990 Saab 900: cancelled....... - 1994 CitroŽn Jumper: cancelled...
- 1989 Volvo 740: cancelled...... - 1993 Saab 900: cancelled...
I really should start building faster than the car breaks down!
Candisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 Candisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enough

Nobody?

Old 03-21-2009   #67
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 192 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

There are ribbons now with good vertical dispersion. Look at LCY, Raal, etc.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 159 bass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nicebass_lover1 is just really nice

When Zaph did his test of the "non dome tweeters" he said that most all ribbon/planar style tweeters have similar off axis response as a 1" dome, where they lack is off axis vertical response. That's probably a big deal for home audio users, but in Car I don't see it being an issue.

I do find that my Neo3s do have a slightly narrower listening angle than my previous LPGs did, but again once aimed properly unless you're leaning forward for a long time, it isn't a problem at all.

- My Ford Touch - Premium Sony Stereo -
bass_lover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010   #69

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 distronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enough

Is it necessary to use a tube amplifier for these? I mean, I'm just starting out and was interested in this, but am wondering about the cost of a decent amp.
distronic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010   #70

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 Whippet will become famous soon enoughWhippet will become famous soon enoughWhippet will become famous soon enoughWhippet will become famous soon enoughWhippet will become famous soon enoughWhippet will become famous soon enough

Great info here - thank you.
Whippet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010   #71

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 Bmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enoughBmxnick101 will become famous soon enough

The more I read the more my setup changes thanks guys
Bmxnick101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by distronic View Post
Is it necessary to use a tube amplifier for these? I mean, I'm just starting out and was interested in this, but am wondering about the cost of a decent amp.
Xenia has a pair of Fountek ribbon tweeters for her van and she'll use an Xtant amp on them. I don't see why a tube amplifier would be necessary. A good, low THD, high SNR amplifier is just fine.
Low THD and high SNR is always important on tweeters, but since ribbons give even more detail than most dome tweeters, it's even more important...

Old 04-08-2010   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdang View Post
There are ribbons now with good vertical dispersion. Look at LCY, Raal, etc.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010   #74

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 swong46 will become famous soon enoughswong46 will become famous soon enoughswong46 will become famous soon enoughswong46 will become famous soon enoughswong46 will become famous soon enoughswong46 will become famous soon enough

I have a 6x9 Speaker hole on my front doors
and I am going to put 5.25" comps there instead, but am considering putting walmart ribbon tweeters right next to the mids on the door. Is that ribbon tweeter position too off axis and too far?

Or should I us the regular dome tweeters on the door and find a way to mount the ribbons on the dash?

What should I do?
swong46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010   #75

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 zachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished road

For those who have ribbons in their car, do you use it as a 2 way or 3 way set up? So, is it the stand alone tweeter and then say a 6.5 and that is it. Or is it used as a mid? Just curious what some are doing. Thanks for the input!
zachcopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement