Using Ribbon tweeters in the car - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010   #76

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 distronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Using Ribbon tweeters in the car

I haven't started on my build yet, but will be using the LCY-130s in a 3-way setup, with the Scan-Speak 12M Revelators as my midrange drivers.
distronic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010   #77

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 zachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of a very similar set up. What kind of cap are you going to run with those lcy 130s?
zachcopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 185 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Some of you guys may have been buying planar tweeters instead of real ribbons. I'm guessing the walmart ones are planars. In some of these cases, the planar tweeters are indeed open back and you may want to enclose them.

The poor vertical dispersion is ameliorated with a short height split ribbon element see LCY, with foam attachments see RAAL or if I'm correct the texture of the element itself and faceplate design again see RAAL.

The challenges of using ribbons in a car are many, and the dispersion is one of the last in my mind. The ribbon material itself is very fragile, mounted high the wind f*&ks with it, mounted low you may get debris on it, always use a cap inline. I found the high temperatures to stress the ribbon, glue, and special magnet coatings. Lastly mounting it is a bitch, you need lots of room and to angle it properly if you don't want the dispersion to be very limited. Unless you pair with a very small midbass, like a good 6.5 max you will get too much distortion out of them. Use preferably in a 3 way crossed 4,000hz or higher.

Given you follow most of this religiously you will get a sound that's very different the the average 1 inch dome. It's neat and very rewarding.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010   #79

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 zachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished roadzachcopp is on a distinguished road

What kind of cap needs to be used? I have looked on parts express and seen some 250v caps, as well as 400v caps. The 250 are much more expensive. Just curious what the difference is and which ones I should use. Hopefully the 400v ones! Save some money
zachcopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 185 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachcopp View Post
What kind of cap needs to be used? I have looked on parts express and seen some 250v caps, as well as 400v caps. The 250 are much more expensive. Just curious what the difference is and which ones I should use. Hopefully the 400v ones! Save some money
I used the same ones npdang posted on the first page of this thread: Solen 27uF poly cap

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 06-16-2010   #81

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 distronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enough

Default Capacitor Specifics

Just to clarify, as I am about to purchase the capacitors. Is this the one: Solen Electronique Inc. ?

Actually I'm still confused. like zachopp said, 250v or the 400v one?

Last edited by distronic; 06-17-2010 at 12:37 AM..
Old 06-21-2010   #82

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 114 xanderin will become famous soon enoughxanderin will become famous soon enoughxanderin will become famous soon enoughxanderin will become famous soon enoughxanderin will become famous soon enoughxanderin will become famous soon enough

Ok, First off the voltage rating is completely dependent on the power you are sending to the Ribbons. I cant imagine you sending enough power to kill either of these capacitors before destroying your tweeter. I dont understand why you would use 27uF on an 8 ohm tweeter. Mathematically this is a 725hz 6dB corssover. That seems incredibly low. Maybe Npdang has experience that shows why he used this. I just search the internet for my answers Check out the calc at http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp to determine what capacitor to use. Note you are looking at "C1" for a 6db crossover.
http://www.lcy.com.hk/shopimages/251...ication-01.jpg
These are LCY's suggested networks.
For a simple crossover try this which nets you a ~2000hz 6db crossover.

1995 BMW 316i.<-Build Coming Soon!2002 Accord LX - Family Car. HT Build Here
References:SMD Forum--Newls1, CarAudio.com-- Wgsj_fortvalley, Ilovebass, Mazzasec,
Diyma--Cedoman,SQplease,Bikinpunk,Azngotskills,Ungo4
xanderin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010   #83

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 emak212 is on a distinguished roademak212 is on a distinguished roademak212 is on a distinguished roademak212 is on a distinguished roademak212 is on a distinguished road

Great insight into transcending the fine lines between car and home audio! I have always loved the sound of ribbon tweeters on home monitor speakers. Higher speaker sensitivity is always a plus.
emak212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 156 kevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
Some of you guys may have been buying planar tweeters instead of real ribbons. I'm guessing the walmart ones are planars. In some of these cases, the planar tweeters are indeed open back and you may want to enclose them.

The poor vertical dispersion is ameliorated with a short height split ribbon element see LCY, with foam attachments see RAAL or if I'm correct the texture of the element itself and faceplate design again see RAAL.

The challenges of using ribbons in a car are many, and the dispersion is one of the last in my mind. The ribbon material itself is very fragile, mounted high the wind f*&ks with it, mounted low you may get debris on it, always use a cap inline. I found the high temperatures to stress the ribbon, glue, and special magnet coatings. Lastly mounting it is a bitch, you need lots of room and to angle it properly if you don't want the dispersion to be very limited. Unless you pair with a very small midbass, like a good 6.5 max you will get too much distortion out of them. Use preferably in a 3 way crossed 4,000hz or higher.

Given you follow most of this religiously you will get a sound that's very different the the average 1 inch dome. It's neat and very rewarding.
Good advice for the most part, George, although I'm not so sure about the "follow most of this religiously" as it's not exactly gospel in my experience. I've never used a cap in-line with ribbons and have yet to fry one. The LCY and AC tweeters are perhaps more apt for your suggestions, but the RAAL's I've owned and used in my system defy the norm. Particularly, my OEM-only 70-20XR's were used up on the dash and in each corner and were x-ed to my ATC mids at anywhere between 1.8 kHz 4th order to 3.2 kHz 2nd order and are among the best, if not the best, tweeters I've used. Yeah, you're reading it right... they are designed to operate, if I'm remembering the exact specs correctly, with an electrical first order that yields an acoustical 4th order at 1.8 kHz.

"Drugs won't change you. Religion won't change you. What's the matter with you?"
kevin k. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 143 stills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond reputestills has a reputation beyond repute

personally i'd run caps until i had everything dialed in, just to be on the safe side,

team mono
stills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderin View Post
Ok, First off the voltage rating is completely dependent on the power you are sending to the Ribbons. I cant imagine you sending enough power to kill either of these capacitors before destroying your tweeter. I dont understand why you would use 27uF on an 8 ohm tweeter. Mathematically this is a 725hz 6dB corssover. That seems incredibly low. Maybe Npdang has experience that shows why he used this. I just search the internet for my answers Check out the calc at http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp to determine what capacitor to use. Note you are looking at "C1" for a 6db crossover.
http://www.lcy.com.hk/shopimages/251...ication-01.jpg
These are LCY's suggested networks.
For a simple crossover try this which nets you a ~2000hz 6db crossover.
The inline cap is not supposed to work as a crossover network, not in the usual sense. It's there to protect the fragile ribbon element from turn on thumps or even the occasional oh S*&t moment where you forget to put a HP filter on it. The filter is low on purpose, so that you can choose your HP and not have to worry overlapping with the cap effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin k. View Post
Good advice for the most part, George, although I'm not so sure about the "follow most of this religiously" as it's not exactly gospel in my experience. I've never used a cap in-line with ribbons and have yet to fry one. The LCY and AC tweeters are perhaps more apt for your suggestions, but the RAAL's I've owned and used in my system defy the norm. Particularly, my OEM-only 70-20XR's were used up on the dash and in each corner and were x-ed to my ATC mids at anywhere between 1.8 kHz 4th order to 3.2 kHz 2nd order and are among the best, if not the best, tweeters I've used. Yeah, you're reading it right... they are designed to operate, if I'm remembering the exact specs correctly, with an electrical first order that yields an acoustical 4th order at 1.8 kHz.
Well Kevin the gear you use is not exactly the norm, nothing in your arsenal is commonly used, heck I don't think anyone on the site has either OEM Raal (not even the common Raal), ATC mids, or the tricked out C2k. In the low end of the spectrum there are much more fragile ribbons that can't handle the low crossover points or the turn on thumps from low to mid end amplifiers. The gear you own is the exception, not the norm.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 12-12-2010   #87

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
pure octave
Position:
cmo

Rep Power: 95 p928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enough

ATC are rare but not impossible to find. I have use a 24" planar in the car before and its a bitch to mount but rewards you with a pass band of 500hz to 18khz or so. you gotta eq the top end alittle to get it to shine. one driver with 100w covering that much pass band makes for a very unique sound normal found only in high end systems
p928gts1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011   #88
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 150 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by p928gts1 View Post
ATC are rare but not impossible to find. I have use a 24" planar in the car before and its a bitch to mount but rewards you with a pass band of 500hz to 18khz or so. you gotta eq the top end alittle to get it to shine. one driver with 100w covering that much pass band makes for a very unique sound normal found only in high end systems

24" planar! How & where did you mount it? Do you have any pics?

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011   #89
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 150 8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice

I would be curious on what it does to the sound stage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
24" planar! How & where did you mount it? Do you have any pics?
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011   #90

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
pure octave
Position:
cmo

Rep Power: 95 p928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enoughp928gts1 will become famous soon enough

The were mounted in the apillar of a mini van with about 2" depth behind them. i have removed them months ago for proto typing other planars in the van. i will make sure i take pics from now on since i have had alot of request to show how they were mounted.
the sound stage is beyond normal, having 500hz and above on axis with minimal reflections makes for very easy to listen to at very high levels. its one of those moments were you sit back and listen to music for hours in your car because it sounds so good and very wide sound stage.
Old 04-13-2011   #91

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 NickMDX will become famous soon enoughNickMDX will become famous soon enoughNickMDX will become famous soon enoughNickMDX will become famous soon enoughNickMDX will become famous soon enoughNickMDX will become famous soon enough

What are you all using to power your ribbons? I'm looking for a high quality low power amp to power some BG Neo3 PDR tweeters! Any recommendations?

Also, any input on ribbons vs. planar magnetic tweeters? I use Aurum Cantus ribbons in my home speakers but have heard excellent (albeit slightly different sounding) results in the home audio world from the Neo3's and other BG's along with Magnepans and other planar magnetic drivers. Seems to me like the price is right with the neo3's and they seem like they would possibly be easier to mount (A-pillar stock Bose tweeter location). Anyways I'm going to give them a try.

Anyways back on track, Amp suggestions anyone?? Thanks for any recommendations.
NickMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011   #92

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
pure octave
Position:
cmo

I use the Jl audio 300/4 for ease of adjustment front stage. 24db sloped crossovers really help being built into the amp. Plenty of power to do what you want and allows you to make changes quickly. Drop me an email p928gts1@yahoo.com and I can go over some basic install tips for the build and tuning you front stage after you have power turned on
Good luck
Robert
Old 08-07-2014   #93

DIYMA freshman

Just a heads-up to anyone considering the LCY's. I ran them for a few weeks here in SoCal and I think the heat fried them or did some damage on the inside. I didn't have them installed in any enclosure though, just sitting on the dash. That's my fault and I guess it is to be expected, but I figured that the robust housing would have been just fine. I first started to notice that my sound was getting a lot more hollow or less airy. Finally, I tried running the auto-eq on my P01 and that is when I got the SPL error for it not being able to detect the sound level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement