Simple, cheap, and effective door treatments - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 156 MIAaron will become famous soon enoughMIAaron will become famous soon enoughMIAaron will become famous soon enoughMIAaron will become famous soon enoughMIAaron will become famous soon enoughMIAaron will become famous soon enough

There are automotive mastics that do the same thing. It's actually cured by heat. You just have to be very careful how much you apply because it can deform sheet metal when cured. Even structural components like pillars.
MIAaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005   #52

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Halonix will become famous soon enoughHalonix will become famous soon enoughHalonix will become famous soon enoughHalonix will become famous soon enoughHalonix will become famous soon enoughHalonix will become famous soon enough

Is the clay really necessary? Could you just make a "gasket" out of rubber or foam or something?
Halonix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2005   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 173 AzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdang
I'd try using a closed cell acoustical foam like such:

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/closed_cell_foam.html
Since Rick (Raam Audio) is a member here and I use his products with great success, just a side note to say he also sells closed cell foam. Its known as Ensolite. He gives a nice price on those.

**FOR NOW**
Stock 2008 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 (Sad to say with Bose system <--the wifey's choice)
AzGrower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2005   #54

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 159 cam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to cam2Xrunner

I think I'll be using a combination of those two choices. Ensolite between the door and the door panels, also between the headliner and the roof. The thicker 1/2" closed cell foam lined on the inside ofthe outer door panel as well as the floor under the carpet. Then use a egg crate type foam directly behind the speakers(or ensolite)

1/2" closed cell foam should decrease more roadnoise than the 1/8" thick ensolite foam. They both have their places in my install.
cam2Xrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 xfree will become famous soon enoughxfree will become famous soon enoughxfree will become famous soon enoughxfree will become famous soon enoughxfree will become famous soon enoughxfree will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Simple, cheap, and effective door treatments

how to stick egg foam to the metal? do you still use board between the metal and foam or directly foam with the metal using adhesive?
and whaqt kind of adhesive did you use..
sorry for the ignorance..
xfree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005   #56

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 146 PeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enough

npDang....

http://order.americanmicroinc.com/cg...d/basket.html?
mv_action=refresh&mv_order_item=MIN0504X6GRY

Which is better for my doors, the Acoustical type or Soundproof type. One is a flat faced sheet, the other is a "egg carton" faced sheet. Thet both will do the same, I think, but which of the two would you recommend. My doors are currently fully dampened. I will be going with, most likely, the Seas Excels 8".

Thanks, Pete
PeteyGoesBoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 154 Derek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enough

petenyc?

i'm loving the results of the closed cell foam in the doors....

You are a dangerous fool who should be sent west. You have forgotten the face of your father.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 152 daitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to daitrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfree

how to stick egg foam to the metal? do you still use board between the metal and foam or directly foam with the metal using adhesive?
and whaqt kind of adhesive did you use..
sorry for the ignorance..
3m adhesive spray

daitrong > minitruckfreq
daitrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 158 minitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to minitruck_freq

3M Super 77 adhesive spray. it will glue your kids stuffed animals to cabinet carpet too.
minitruck_freq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005   #60

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 146 PeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enoughPeteyGoesBoom will become famous soon enough

Hey,

I just received today my Acoustical "Egg Carton" Foam from the website you have listed above, shown in the link below:

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/convol...ical_foam.html

I noticed that you said getting the "closed cell" foam. But I also noticed that you did say and show pictured the "egg carton" type as I purchased?
Which is better? Did I buy the right one? I'm putting it in all my doors, behind the midbass drivers and mids in the kicks (Is this OK?) My ddors are very well dampened as well.

Woudl it be appropriate to put this anywhere else? I have a 4' X 8' sheet, so I can throw it wherever you tell me, if it helps! Also, is the egg carton type I bought as good as the closed cell? Should I just glue down the egg carton sheet to the doors over the Dynamat?

Thanks for your help!
Pete
Old 09-08-2005   #61

DIYMA freshman

Hey Derek, LOL

What are you following me around? LOL

Yeah, this is PeteNYC. Found this forum... are real good place! Really enjoty it and learn a lot here.

I bought that "egg carton" stuff, and got it today. Hope it's as good as the closed cell stuff. Will be putting it in my doors that are already dampened. I posted a link above this reply of what I bought.

Is it good for behind the drivers in already dampened doors?

Oh yeah, my installer, who is ridiculous SQ related, is trying to get me to buy DLS 8.3 midbass's. They're like $600 a pair, just for the mids!. They come from the DLS Iridium 3 way set.

They say all the big competition cars have them. Also, offers a 3.5 inch depth and a 4 ohm rating, always good. What have you heard on them?

Nice to see you here, Derek!!!
PeteNYCGoesBoom!
Old 09-08-2005   #62
GMo

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 149 GMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enough

Most standard open cell (the egg crate) have slightly better sound absorption characteristics than closed cell as per thickness. I don't think there would be a noticeable difference though, especially in a car.
The benefits of closed cell over open would be closed are more dense and more rigid generally. Which leads to higher strength characteristics, they also have a higher thermal resistance and much higher water and vapor resistance (also to mold, mildew, etc..). Usually, a better UV resistance as well.
GMo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005   #63

DIYMA freshman

So, then the "egg crate" sheet I bought will do the job just as well as the closed cell foam? I mean. if my shhet (egg crate) is "open" cell, than that would be the opposite of "closed" cell. That would lead me to beleive, being opposites, it shouldn't be good!

Just a thought though. I have seen the same stuff in npdang's car, so if it's good for him, it's great fpr me!

I was just making sure I am getting the best results possible. I bought the sheet I got because npdang recommended it, and shave seen it in his ride.

Thanks for your help!
Pete
Old 09-09-2005   #64
GMo

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 149 GMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyGoesBoom
So, then the "egg crate" sheet I bought will do the job just as well as the closed cell foam?
Yes
For acoustical properties, the egg shell is going to be somewhat better than a standard closed cell of the same thickness.
From post 23 onwards and you'll see that 10K2HVN used some protectant on his foam which is very similar to what myself and others have done to protect the foam from vapor, water, mold, etc..
But standard egg crate is an effective and cheap way of absorption of mid to treble frequencies.
GMo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2005   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 154 Derek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enoughDerek will become famous soon enough

i just liked not having to treat my closed cell.....

and as well as solidifying up my midbass response....it killed a lot of road noise as well....

You are a dangerous fool who should be sent west. You have forgotten the face of your father.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2005   #66

DIYMA freshman

I have a full 4' X 8' egg crate sheet. I'll be putting it in all my doors, on the entire back panels of the doors. Why not, I have it!

Would it help to put it in the rear hatch? I knwo there are no speakers physically in the rear hatch as the front doors, but maybe it'll at least help with road noise, excessive rattle. etc. My rear hatch is very well dampened as well.

What do you guys recommend as far as a protectant/sealer for the foam against moisture, etc? Also, what do you use to glue it down? Any glue would be fine? It has to glued onto the Dynamt surface, so what is appropriate for this?

Thanks. Pete
Old 09-09-2005   #67

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 153 mojako will become famous soon enoughmojako will become famous soon enoughmojako will become famous soon enoughmojako will become famous soon enoughmojako will become famous soon enoughmojako will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to mojako Send a message via Yahoo to mojako

what about this? deflex pads from madisound

mojako is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2005   #68

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 153 |Tch0rT| will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| will become famous soon enough

I'd like to say that Peel N Seal works good. I just got 75 square ft. at a local Lowe's for a little over $66. It's very easy to apply and a few layers got rid of a lot of rattles. This is my first experiance with sound deadening, I'll never get it last now! heh

Ryan

-=2001 Dodge Grand Caravan=- [Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP - Stock] Uninstalled:[RF 200.2 - LP 1501 - RF 40x2 - DIYMA R12 - Phaze Audio Studio Driver MW-64 - Phass NT 28TC]
|Tch0rT| is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005   #69

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

How would you all suggest redampening my doors, I have a piece of aluminum flashing over my access holes (screwed in with self taping screw) with deadener and ensolite on top of it.

I wanted to order another roll of Raammat and redeaden the interior of my doors as well as putting another layer on my outter door skin, and deaden my panels suffeciently as well. After getting into the door and adding the deadener/eggshell foam combo, how would you suggest deadening over the ensolite already on the door face? Make a sandwitch layer, or would that not work well enough? Or would you just suggest ripping the ensolite off, and reapplying it, (i do not want to waist my ensolite).

Also how would you suggest to getting the door to be as resonant and rattle free as possible, the plastic panels that is. My doors are resonating at 90hz as it seems.
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2005   #70

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 147 SteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enough

hey rick, it's me steve. i was wondering if you could post pics of how you did channels in the door skins.. you gave a good explanationbut picd would help big time.
SteveH! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 217 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halonix
Is the clay really necessary? Could you just make a "gasket" out of rubber or foam or something?
Unless I'm unclear about the purpose of the clay, you could instead use that black gunk that they use to put windshields in. Most auto parts stores have it. I bought a pack that was beaded and came on a big roll of tape. It keeps, remains somewhat soft but sturdy. The downside is that it'll stain your fingers and upholstery, so be careful.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006   #72

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 140 fuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to fuscobal

After reading this thread i have some questions for you guys :

1) Is that 'egg carton' a sponge ?
2) After 2 layers of dynamat on outer skin, 2 layers on the inner metal skin (one inside the door and one between the metal and the plastic face of the door ) and 1 mineral wool layer over dynamat, between the metal skin and plastic face, i've got absolutely no rattles but, it still doesn't sing like a home wood or MDF enclosure. Sometimes, on some tracks, i can hear the enclosure 'singing'. I think theese are resonances inside the enclosure. Would the egg carton solve this problem ?
3) I've also heard the egg carton isn't efficient on low frequencies ( under 500Hz or so ) and its absorption properties are not linear. A home acoustic engineer recommends the mineral wool as being much more efficient than the sponge. What do u have to say about this ?
fuscobal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006   #73

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 142 jtholley03 will become famous soon enoughjtholley03 will become famous soon enoughjtholley03 will become famous soon enoughjtholley03 will become famous soon enoughjtholley03 will become famous soon enoughjtholley03 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to jtholley03

"it, it still doesn't sing like a home wood or MDF enclosure"

Wiat till you see the approach I am taking! I will post pics when I get some of it done.
jtholley03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006   #74

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sigma6 will become famous soon enoughsigma6 will become famous soon enoughsigma6 will become famous soon enoughsigma6 will become famous soon enoughsigma6 will become famous soon enoughsigma6 will become famous soon enough

We don't have any of this 'non-hardening modelling clay' here, or that kind of arts & crafts store.* Is this stuff actually clay, as in dirt? Or is it something more like a plasticine?
Would something like a glazing mastic do instead? I'm guessing that the important thing the mass your adding around the driver and that's it's coupled to the door...

I'm making some new, beefier baffles to mount my new MW-64s so want to go the extra mile.

*Though I can buy Bennic caps at my local electronics store for $1.50 a pop...

Last edited by sigma6; 04-15-2006 at 06:58 AM..
sigma6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 173 AzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma6
We don't have any of this 'non-hardening modelling clay' here, or that kind of arts & crafts store.
you do have the postal service right...then try Ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/PERMOPLAST-MODEL...QQcmdZViewItem

**FOR NOW**
Stock 2008 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 (Sad to say with Bose system <--the wifey's choice)
AzGrower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement