Help Tuning Clarion's Full Digital System - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enough

Default Help Tuning Clarion's Full Digital System

I'm too new to post a link to Clarion's website, but you can find details on their full digital system there.

I went with the NX807 Nav unit so I would have a digital optical out to the Z3 processor. I'm awaiting my sub box to get here, so for now, I'm just running the tweeters and mids.

As this full digital approach is still relatively new, I'm finding it hard to locate any good resources on tuning it. The good news is, the Clarion Z-tune app is great. It allows for on the fly adjustments to the crossover, to include gain, slope, and even phase. You can also adjust the time delay and it has a 31 band EQ.

Currently, my settings are as follows:
Tweeters:
HPF = 2kHz
Slope = 12
Gain = -9
Phase = Normal

Mids:
HPF = 100kHz
Slope = 6
LPF = 12.5kHz
Slope = 12
Gain = 0
Phase = Normal

Any help would be great. To be honest, the tweeters scream at higher volume levels but the mids aren't as loud as I would expect. It is almost like I can't turn the volume up beyond the speaker capabilities.
jackers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Help Tuning Clarion's Full Digital System

theres nothing wrong with your settings, that's an interesting starting point, but theres a lot wrong if your going for volume and sound quality. this is what I would do personally, and it may work, but keep in mind every car is different, and I have 0 experience with the clarion full digital..just..i know what a 6.5 and tweeter usually will do.

tweeter, highpass 3100 hz 24 db.
mid, lowpass at 2200 hz 12 db, invert phase. highpass at 90 hz 24 db.

try that, then adjust tweeter gain to where you like it. it is not uncommon for the tweeter to be say way lower than the midbasses.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enoughjackers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
theres nothing wrong with your settings, that's an interesting starting point, but theres a lot wrong if your going for volume and sound quality. this is what I would do personally, and it may work, but keep in mind every car is different, and I have 0 experience with the clarion full digital..just..i know what a 6.5 and tweeter usually will do.

tweeter, highpass 3100 hz 24 db.
mid, lowpass at 2200 hz 12 db, invert phase. highpass at 90 hz 24 db.

try that, then adjust tweeter gain to where you like it. it is not uncommon for the tweeter to be say way lower than the midbasses.
Thanks for your inputs! To be honest, I am very new at trying to tune. I spent the last few nights looking at youtube videos, so bear with me. I based my inputs on doing google searches but I don't doubt that they aren't optimal.

One quick question, can you expound upon what you mean by, "but theres a lot wrong if your going for volume and sound quality." I take it you are thinking there is a lot I'm leaving on the table?

Thanks again...

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

if you use a six db slope on the highpass, you are making a small speaker work harder than it should using up power you could devote to overall volume. it probably sounds good without the sub so I get why you might have ended up there, but a 6.5 really doesn't do much below 80 hz in the average door.

and from the sq point of view, you have a lot of overlap between tweeter and mid, so you are putting a whole lot of spurious sound into the car from the upper range of the mids, and that might explain why you feel the tweeters scream at you.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

DIYMA freshman

That makes a lot of sense.

Ok, here is what my crossover is allowing. I'll start here and see how it is sounding:
Tweeters
HPF = 3.15kHz
Slope = 24
Gain = 0
Phase = Normal

Mids
HPF = 80Hz (my EQ only allows 80 or 100)
Slope = 24
LPF = 2kHz (my EQ only allows 1.6, 2, 2.5)
Slope = 12
Gain = 0
Phase = Reverse

I'll give that a try and report back.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

you might find 2.5 k at 18 db works better than 2k at 12, I like a gap there especially to avoid beaming in the midrange, but that's a bigger gap than maybe works good. if the tweeters are reflecting off the winchield the lower end of them will be reinforced so the gap might work. also, I think the 0 db gain for tweeters will end up being way to high and they will still overpower the mids, but not knowing amp power, efficiency etc, I cant recommend where to put gains..but -9 might be a good start like you currently have.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 115 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

thump

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
you might find 2.5 k at 18 db works better than 2k at 12, I like a gap there especially to avoid beaming in the midrange, but that's a bigger gap than maybe works good. if the tweeters are reflecting off the winchield the lower end of them will be reinforced so the gap might work. also, I think the 0 db gain for tweeters will end up being way to high and they will still overpower the mids, but not knowing amp power, efficiency etc, I cant recommend where to put gains..but -9 might be a good start like you currently have.
I gotta say, your inputs made such an improvement! My high end home audio isn't as clear as this setup. I'm excited to keep tweeking on it, but you gave me such a good staring point, so thanks for that.

As for the Clarion stuff, I have to say, it is impressive but not blow your hair back loud. I can still run my receiver at max volume (40) without exceeding the capabilities of the speakers. Granted, I went on a four hour car ride yesterday and didn't turn my system up past 30, but it does seem a little "quiet" compared to traditional amp and speaker combos. With that said, it is crystal clear. And I mean crystal. I'm excited to add in the rear 6.75" speakers and the two shallow subs, that should really thicken the soundstage.

Thanks again.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

DIYMA freshman

And if you have any advice for the starting crossover settings for the rear 6.5s and two subs, I'd love your opinion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement