How to make your RTA with $100 dlls. - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 123 kaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to make your RTA with $100 dlls.

Hey guys, great info here. Would the Mic Mate work with the mic from the Alpine PXH-100EQ imprint kit? The mic has an 1/8" plug.
kaigoss69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 140 doitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to doitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Hey guys, great info here. Would the Mic Mate work with the mic from the Alpine PXH-100EQ imprint kit? The mic has an 1/8" plug.
No.
The MicMate is to power "bigger" mics that need phantom power to operate.
You can plug that mic directly to the computer and it should work, but it would be better to have a "measurement mic" to get better results.
That's why the Behringer is used. It's "cheap" and works great.

Jorge.

MKV GTI - Sound system in progress....
doitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 123 kaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jorge. I am sure I would need an external sound card then, as the sound chip in my laptop would probablt not be adequate. I think I read something about this here before but I cannot find it. What sort of sound card do you guys recommend?

BTW, I think it has been determined that the mic for the Alpine imprint kit is of relatively high quality, not sure though how it would compare to the Behringer.
kaigoss69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 140 doitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enough

One of the advantages of the MicMate is that you plug the mic to the computer via USB, and that way you dont need and external soundcard.
If all goes well I will put the "$100 RTA" against a real one (Audiocontrol) and will post results here, to see how accurate it is.

Jorge.

Old 05-30-2008   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Rep Power: 118 BlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitor View Post
One of the advantages of the MicMate is that you plug the mic to the computer via USB, and that way you dont need and external soundcard.
If all goes well I will put the "$100 RTA" against a real one (Audiocontrol) and will post results here, to see how accurate it is.

Jorge.
I'd love to see that if you get time to do it.

BlackSapphire --
BlackSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
I'd love to see that if you get time to do it.
It's a done deal.
The Audiocontro RTA should be here next week if all goes well.
I'll post results as soon as I have them.

Jorge.

Old 05-30-2008   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 161 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

David's gonna let you touch the audio control he got from Kevin?

P9? 701? is the jury out?

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
David's gonna let you touch the audio control he got from Kevin?

P9? 701? is the jury out?
Yes he is.
And also add a certain H900 to the list.
But don't spoil the surprise.
H701 vs H900 vs P9 thread also comming soon.

Jorge.

Old 05-30-2008   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 txbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enough

Cool. HOpe it proves to be ultra accurate, as I have one of the pieces arriving today, and the other piece arriving Monday to use for my $110 RTA setup, unless you count the cost of TruRTA with 1/3 or 1/6 octave.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 161 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

david got a sweet deal on that rta. kevin keeps his stuff in prestine condition and takes very good care of his stuff

Good luck Doiter

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Rep Power: 118 BlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enough

Did a little testing today with my setup connected to an IBM T60p thinkpad.

I had the Behringer ECM8000/MicMate combo (with a 15' Canare Mic cable) doing some RTA via TrueRTA. I then took some known good 0db test tones on my OTHER PC (desktop) and played them to see what the Behringer/MXL combo measured. No matter which tone I tried (between 20hz and 20khz), the corresponding peak on the RTA was identical to what was suspected. No shift at all.

Today I received an Onstage Kick Drum/Amp mic stand w/boom. This thing is the perfect height for what we're trying to do in my opinion. It'll easily sit in the back seat with the boom centering the microphone at ear level.

BlackSapphire --
Old 05-30-2008   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Double post.

BlackSapphire --
Old 06-02-2008   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 txbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enough

Wish I had known to order an xlr mic cable, stand and usb cable. Got the mic mate and mic in hand, but didn't get any cables. Not sure if the mic mate should have come with one, but mine didn't. I'll have to go dig around in the garage for an unused printer cable when I get a chance, but want to also get an xlr mic cable and stand at some point to.
Old 06-03-2008   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 snaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
Wish I had known to order an xlr mic cable, stand and usb cable. Got the mic mate and mic in hand, but didn't get any cables. Not sure if the mic mate should have come with one, but mine didn't. I'll have to go dig around in the garage for an unused printer cable when I get a chance, but want to also get an xlr mic cable and stand at some point to.
The Micmate connects to a PC via a standard sided USB cable. It doesn't come with one but these are the standard sized USB so I'm sure you have one lying around or can get one cheap at a computer store.

You do need an XLR cable though to plug your mic in. I don't think that was mentioned. Luckily I have some lying around. Your local Guitar Center or other music store will have some.

Incidentally, I ordered the Micmate and Behringer from Musican's Friend and got both for $49 each with free shipping. The Behringer is on back-order but I might just use one of my existing mics.
snaimpally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
The Micmate connects to a PC via a standard sided USB cable. It doesn't come with one but these are the standard sized USB so I'm sure you have one lying around or can get one cheap at a computer store.

You do need an XLR cable though to plug your mic in. I don't think that was mentioned. Luckily I have some lying around. Your local Guitar Center or other music store will have some.

Incidentally, I ordered the Micmate and Behringer from Musican's Friend and got both for $49 each with free shipping. The Behringer is on back-order but I might just use one of my existing mics.
Yeah, I'm sure I've got a spare cable too once I can put my hands on it. It's basically just a printer cable, with standard USB-A and USB-B ends, or whatever they call them.

The XLR is not absolutely required, as the mic mate can plug directly into the mic, but to get any cord length, to be able to test from outside the vehicle, it would be necessary, so I'll ahve to get a cord.

I got both of my pieces from ebay for $49 and $45, but with shipping the total was $110.
Old 06-11-2008   #66

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 120 kidwolf909 will become famous soon enoughkidwolf909 will become famous soon enoughkidwolf909 will become famous soon enoughkidwolf909 will become famous soon enoughkidwolf909 will become famous soon enoughkidwolf909 will become famous soon enough

Do you guys think it's worth the $100 to build your own RTA to tune your system even if you don't have all the processing power of say an H701 or similar? I have a CD7200mkII and will soon be running fully actively, but will it be worthwhile to buy an RTA system to tweak or is it not enough difference to care about?

TIA!

Eclipse CD7200mkII | Phoenix Gold RSd65cs's (Soon to be Seas ER18's & TBI TWEP51's) | Dayton HO 10" | Alpine PDX2.150 | Alpine PDX1.600 | eDeadv1.2 | Knu 4AWG |
kidwolf909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008   #67

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 134 my89_928gt will become famous soon enoughmy89_928gt will become famous soon enoughmy89_928gt will become famous soon enoughmy89_928gt will become famous soon enoughmy89_928gt will become famous soon enoughmy89_928gt will become famous soon enough

I have the True RTA $100 program calibrated mic and all that for near 2 years now and have never been able to make it work on my PC
Course I did not call tech support either.

Richard
my89_928gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008   #68

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 111 larryboy2911 will become famous soon enoughlarryboy2911 will become famous soon enoughlarryboy2911 will become famous soon enoughlarryboy2911 will become famous soon enoughlarryboy2911 will become famous soon enoughlarryboy2911 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
np, what weighting do you lean towards? B?
Professionally I always tune systems using an A weighting curve averaging 80-85dbSPL. In quiet to moderate environements the A weighting is similar to how we hear. As the SPL goes up the weighting shifts over to B then C. if you are tuning to a B or C curve it will be quite bass heavy because naturally we attenuate those frequencies at louder SPL's.
larryboy2911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 snaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enough

I think it is worth it because you can at least find out where the issues are. If you have a good eq, you can even address the major problem areas as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
Do you guys think it's worth the $100 to build your own RTA to tune your system even if you don't have all the processing power of say an H701 or similar? I have a CD7200mkII and will soon be running fully actively, but will it be worthwhile to buy an RTA system to tweak or is it not enough difference to care about?
TIA!

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Dynavin N6 -> Helix DSP Pro -> AS100.4(L)+AS-100.4(R)+AS200.2(sub) -> MP Z-series + Dyn 430 + MP 6.5" + Dyn 1200 (IB)
snaimpally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

Hybrid Audio Online

12V Company:
12v Electronics
Position:
Sales Manager

Rep Power: 119 12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 12v Electronics Send a message via Skype™ to 12v Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitor View Post
It's a done deal.
The Audiocontro RTA should be here next week if all goes well.
I'll post results as soon as I have them.

Jorge.
Did you get to compare it to the Audio Control?

Just wondering how it stands up to it. This Micmate sounds pretty cool. I may have to pick one up and run it against our AC RTA myself.

Tom Meyers
tom@12velectronics.com 847-461-9520
12v Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
Did you get to compare it to the Audio Control?

Just wondering how it stands up to it. This Micmate sounds pretty cool. I may have to pick one up and run it against our AC RTA myself.
Not yet.
If all goes well I should do it at the Dallas Meet on July 20th.
I'll post the results here.

Jorge.

Old 07-10-2008   #72

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

I compared my laptop setup to a "legitimate" RTA-in-one and got the same readings.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008   #73

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 116 dvsadvocate will become famous soon enoughdvsadvocate will become famous soon enoughdvsadvocate will become famous soon enoughdvsadvocate will become famous soon enoughdvsadvocate will become famous soon enoughdvsadvocate will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to dvsadvocate Send a message via Skype™ to dvsadvocate

@bikinpunk
Whats the RTA you compared yours to? Thats really great news!

Alpine CDA-9815/Alpine CHA-S624/Oz Audio 300L/Polk Audio DB 5250/PPI 4100AM/PPI 2075AM/PPI ProMos-425
dvsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008   #74

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsadvocate View Post
@bikinpunk
Whats the RTA you compared yours to? Thats really great news!
i really don't know. It's Kirk Proffit's. I saw it at night so never caught the name. He said he paid a couple hundred for it and that was a steal, so it's apparently a high-end RTA.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Hybrid Audio Online

12V Company:
12v Electronics
Position:
Sales Manager

Rep Power: 119 12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 12v Electronics Send a message via Skype™ to 12v Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
i really don't know. It's Kirk Proffit's. I saw it at night so never caught the name. He said he paid a couple hundred for it and that was a steal, so it's apparently a high-end RTA.
Did it look something like this?

http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/pr...52&l1=5252&l2=

We have one of these and I will probably order the mic mate today so I will give them a test. I am curious myself.

Tom Meyers
tom@12velectronics.com 847-461-9520
12v Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement