How to make your RTA with $100 dlls. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 139 doitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to doitor

Default How to make your RTA with $100 dlls.

Hi guys
Just got my RTA going.
$100 for all the pieces new.
Want to know how?
Paypal me $100 and I'll let you know.
j/k

Behringer ECM8000 $49.95 at Amazon.

MXL Usb Mic Mate payed $49 at my local Guitar Center. Cheapest I've seen online $79.99
This thing has phantom Power and you plug it directly to the mic and then to a USB port on your computer. It detects it automaticly.

TrueRTA free. (http://www.trueaudio.com/) the 1 octave is free and there are several versions 1/3 octave ($39.95), 1/6 octave ($69.95) and 1/24 octave ($99.95).

I know there are several programs to do it.
That's not my car's graph by the way, just measuring my office noise.
I think I need to eq my office.
Well that's it, $100 dollar totally portable, RTA and SPL meter.

Jorge.

MKV GTI - Sound system in progress....
doitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 116 sonicnirvana will become famous soon enoughsonicnirvana will become famous soon enoughsonicnirvana will become famous soon enoughsonicnirvana will become famous soon enoughsonicnirvana will become famous soon enoughsonicnirvana will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to make your RTA with $100 dlls.

Kewl Beans...but what about the $500 computer
sonicnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Rep Power: 117 BlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enough

Great post! I'm going to Build one as well. Any downsides to this setup or is it fairly accurate? I am used to people using larger mic pre-amps and such.

Anyone care to comment? I'm psyched Doitor - thanks again.

BlackSapphire --

Last edited by BlackSapphire; 05-15-2008 at 08:28 PM..
BlackSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Rep Power: 117 BlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enough

Two questions:

1. I see the Hi/Med/Low switch - what position should it be in normally?
2. On the TrueRTA software. Which version is 'necessary'? I don't mind buying one of the other levels if it's absolutely worthy of the price.

I'm new to the RTA world so thank you in advance for the advice.

BlackSapphire --
Old 05-15-2008   #5

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 166 bobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enough

Nice tutorial! One question though..... What added bonus does the other method in the link bleow offer over this method if any?

Tuning your car using a pc based measurement setup

bobditts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008   #6

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
art of noise audio
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 145 robbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to robbyho

also, a really good program that is totally free is call room eq wizard and it will do frequency response graph with ease (though not an rta, it is essentially the same).
google it and you shall find...I believe you need to register for the forum to DL it.

also winmls lets you do a trial for 30 days and the program is extremely simple to get going.

for any program you'll need a measuring mic and a preamp. As well as a xlr cable, an xlr to 1/8" jack, and an 1/8" jack to your sound system. plus an 1/8" to 1/8" to measure your sound card's FR.

Robby

www.artofnoiseaudio.com

pm me for anything from PartsExpress at wholesale prices
robbyho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyho View Post
also, a really good program that is totally free is call room eq wizard and it will do frequency response graph with ease (though not an rta, it is essentially the same).
google it and you shall find...I believe you need to register for the forum to DL it.

also winmls lets you do a trial for 30 days and the program is extremely simple to get going.

for any program you'll need a measuring mic and a preamp. As well as a xlr cable, an xlr to 1/8" jack, and an 1/8" jack to your sound system. plus an 1/8" to 1/8" to measure your sound card's FR.

Robby
Good advice Robby - thanks.

By using the preamp doitor is using (Mic Mate), it seems you can avoid many of those cables. True?

BlackSapphire --
Old 05-16-2008   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 supersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enough

Is there a "special" mic needed? And if were using a USB connection for the mic, as Doitor did, we dont need to measure the FR of the computer do we?
supersaag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 139 doitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicnirvana View Post
Kewl Beans...but what about the $500 computer
Let me change the title to:How to make your RTA with $100 dlls If you have a laptop.

Jorge.

Old 05-16-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
Two questions:

1. I see the Hi/Med/Low switch - what position should it be in normally?
2. On the TrueRTA software. Which version is 'necessary'? I don't mind buying one of the other levels if it's absolutely worthy of the price.

I'm new to the RTA world so thank you in advance for the advice.
1.- Don't know, I have it in low and works ok.
2.- I think depending on the eq you have. My H701 has 1/3 octave eq, so that should be more than enough.

I'm also new to RTA's and wanted one for some time, but for this price it was hard to pass.

Jorge.

Old 05-16-2008   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
Nice tutorial! One question though..... What added bonus does the other method in the link bleow offer over this method if any?

Tuning your car using a pc based measurement setup
The method on the link shows how to tune with a pc measurement setup.
Mine is not a method, just a way to get a cheap, totally portable, pc measurement setup.

Jorge.

Old 05-16-2008   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Good advice Robby - thanks.

By using the preamp doitor is using (Mic Mate), it seems you can avoid many of those cables. True?
Yes.
The MicMate plugs directly to the mic and then just an USB cable to the computer.
So just one cable, no adapters, no extra Power needed.

Jorge.

Old 05-16-2008   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaag View Post
Is there a "special" mic needed? And if were using a USB connection for the mic, as Doitor did, we dont need to measure the FR of the computer do we?
As far as I know you can use just about any mic.
The behringer ecm8000 is one of the most widely used.
And don't know about the second question.

Jorge.

Old 05-16-2008   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitor View Post
1.- Don't know, I have it in low and works ok.
2.- I think depending on the eq you have. My H701 has 1/3 octave eq, so that should be more than enough.

I'm also new to RTA's and wanted one for some time, but for this price it was hard to pass.

Jorge.
Good deal Jorge, I copied your setup for now. I just ordered the Behringer and the Mic mate.

BlackSapphire --
Old 05-16-2008   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

First measurements.
After "tuning" by ear for some time for daily driving, this is what the first RTA showed.

I will start playing with it and experimenting to see/hear what I can do.

Jorge.

Old 05-16-2008   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 191 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Don't forget 2 very important settings, weighting and averaging!

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 915 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

One can pick up a M-Audio USB-Pre fro around 40-50 bucks used that gives you 2 channels of balanced IO, 2 mic pre's, and phantom power. BUT you have to shop around and possibly wait.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdang View Post
Don't forget 2 very important settings, weighting and averaging!
Please expand on that thought (or point me to some really long thread).

BlackSapphire --
Old 05-16-2008   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 supersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enoughsupersaag will become famous soon enough

So Doitor, when you ran TrueRTA to show you that graph. Did you use "Quick sweep"?
supersaag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 191 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Quote:
Please expand on that thought (or point me to some really long thread).
Averaging is important because it gives you greater noise immunity. Random noise in one measurement will be averaged out over the long run but may cause a loss of fine detail.

Weighting is important because it compensates for the lack of bass, and overly represented treble due to the long measurement window. Look up A, B, and C weighting on google and you will see what each weighting curve does.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

np, what weighting do you lean towards? B?

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008   #22
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 139 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
np, what weighting do you lean towards? B?
I can't speak for Nguyen, but I tune to a modified B weighted curve. I follow the B scale in the bass region but not so in the treble region. I prefer to taper my treble off a tad so it is not overpowering vs boost it as B weighting would suggest.

I dumped the Behringer mic in favor of a binaural summed and averaged solution. I use this in combination with long measurement averages to come up with a pretty damn realistic tonal balance and stage presentation. I've been told by people with fairly high credentials that my system sounds VERY pleasing. If I could only find the time to clean up my install one day I might actually compete.

Ge0

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008   #23
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 115 tijuana_no will become famous soon enoughtijuana_no will become famous soon enoughtijuana_no will become famous soon enoughtijuana_no will become famous soon enoughtijuana_no will become famous soon enoughtijuana_no will become famous soon enough

JORGE , which sound card did you use , i heard that the one from the comp. is not very reliable for this type of programs . i also have this program .
tijuana_no is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008   #24

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 115 BMWturbo will become famous soon enoughBMWturbo will become famous soon enoughBMWturbo will become famous soon enoughBMWturbo will become famous soon enoughBMWturbo will become famous soon enoughBMWturbo will become famous soon enough

I hope i haven't missed this in the thread somewhere, but say you had available a pair of ECM8000's and a 2 channel mixer/pre-amp, would it be lucrative to set-up a mic in the location of each ear and run the tests in 'stereo' rather then using a single mic in teh centre of the head style arrangment?

E30 Project Car:- www.cardomain.com/ride/720651
E32 Daily Driver:- www.cardomain.com/ride/2160608
BMWturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaag View Post
So Doitor, when you ran TrueRTA to show you that graph. Did you use "Quick sweep"?
No.
I admit that I'm an RTA newbie and need to read a lot to get the most out of this.

Jorge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement