Cheap, adjustable, easily replaceable tweeter pods - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 snaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enough

Default Cheap, adjustable, easily replaceable tweeter pods

Do you buy tweeters and swap out tweeters regularly? Do you want a way to be able to easily mount tweeters on-axis and make them look nice? Do you want to mount tweeters up on your A-pillars to avoid as many diffracting surfaces as possible?

If you answered yes to any one of these questions, I have just the solution for you!! My friend Glenn (GLN305), has come up with a very inexpensive solution for tweeter mounting that allows for easy swapping out of tweeters, makes it easy to mount tweeters on-axis, provides a certain degree of adjustability, and makes the mounting look nice. Glenn was kind enough to install a pair of Scanspeak Illuminator 2004-6020 tweeters in the A-pillars of my Mazdaspeed 3 and so I took pictures so that I could share his very innovative design with others on the forum.

Parts: (1) 2 x PVC end caps (find ones that fit your tweeters, the ones in the picture are 1.5" diameter; some tweeters may need bigger end caps), (2) threaded pipes (in Home Depot these are called steel nipples. Yes, the jokes about nuts and nipples are endless) these are threaded and used in lamps to thread the Power cord through), (3) hex nuts, a (4) a can of bed liner to create texture, and (5) optionally, a can of spray paint in a color that matches your car.

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Dynavin N6 -> Helix DSP Pro -> AS100.4(L)+AS-100.4(R)+AS200.2(sub) -> MP Z-series + Dyn 430 + MP 6.5" + Dyn 1200 (IB)

Last edited by snaimpally; 01-29-2009 at 09:42 PM..
snaimpally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 snaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Cheap, adjustable, easily replaceable tweeter pods

Next, sand down any imperfections on the end caps. Then drill a hole at the desired mounting angle where the base and the sides of the end cap meet. These have an approximate 45 degree angle for on-axis mounting.

Spray the end caps with two coats of bedliner. In this picture, Glenn stuck screwdrivers into the holes and then put a Wire tie on either side to prevent the end cap from sliding off the end cap so that he could spray paint the end caps and then leave them out to dry. The bedliner provides texture to the end cap. After the bedliner, optionally, spray the caps with a color suited for your car. For example, you can use a can of touch-up paint to match the paint to your car's exterior paint.

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Dynavin N6 -> Helix DSP Pro -> AS100.4(L)+AS-100.4(R)+AS200.2(sub) -> MP Z-series + Dyn 430 + MP 6.5" + Dyn 1200 (IB)

Last edited by snaimpally; 01-29-2009 at 09:44 PM..
Old 01-29-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Thread a threaded pipe into the drilled holes. They look like little ack ack guns. They appear grey in this picture due to the flash but they are in fact black, as you can see in other pictures. Use a grinder or pipe cutter to cut the length of the threaded pipes to slightly more than the thickness of your A-pillars.

Remove the A-pillars in your car, drill a hole in the A-pillars, and then fasten the tweeter pods to the A-pillars by pushing the threaded pipe through the A-pillar and tightening a hex nut on to the threaded pipe. Thread your Speaker cable through the threaded pipe and connect to your tweeter. The picture shows that Glenn soldered and put heat shrink around it but you can also use quick connectors.

2011 BMW 335i M/T

Last edited by snaimpally; 01-29-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 01-29-2009   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 111 aztec1 will become famous soon enoughaztec1 will become famous soon enoughaztec1 will become famous soon enoughaztec1 will become famous soon enoughaztec1 will become famous soon enoughaztec1 will become famous soon enough

This is a really simple and elegant design, I like it a lot. I wish I would have seen this before my tweeter pod debacle.

aztec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura aboutbigrig has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, looks like a good result/effort ratio. Any finalized pics?

Matt
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Slide the tweeter into the end cap. If the tweeter fits loosely into the end cap, determine what the difference is and wrap some material around the tweeter so that the tweeter fits snugly into the end cap. For example, use some electrical tape around the side of the tweeter (near the top) if there is a very small gap, use velcro if there is a slightly bigger gap, and use weather stripping if the gap is fairly big.

The mounted tweeter looks like this:

Note that the tweeters can be swiveled if you don't over-tighten the hex nuts.

Total cost was under $20 for both. Total time spent was less than 3 hours. We did it over 2 evenings because it was humid here in Austin and we had to wait for the bed liner to dry.

2011 BMW 335i M/T

Last edited by snaimpally; 01-29-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Old 01-30-2009   #7

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Event Horizon
Position:
Bending the laws of physics

Rep Power: 554 SublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond reputeSublimeZ has a reputation beyond repute

those look really familiar...

04 Z16 Z06 #479/Alpine9886/PXA-H100/Arc 4150XXK/ID oem's /Morel MDT-105S/Arc 2500XXK/HO 15
SublimeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 114 dmazyn will become famous soon enoughdmazyn will become famous soon enoughdmazyn will become famous soon enoughdmazyn will become famous soon enoughdmazyn will become famous soon enoughdmazyn will become famous soon enough

The real question is how do the scans sound?
dmazyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 111 boogeyman will become famous soon enoughboogeyman will become famous soon enoughboogeyman will become famous soon enoughboogeyman will become famous soon enoughboogeyman will become famous soon enoughboogeyman will become famous soon enough

looks great very creative
boogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009   #10

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
S&S Customs
Position:
head broom pusher

Rep Power: 106 SSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enough

That's thinking outside the box! Well done!!!
SSCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Pntbtrjly will become famous soon enoughPntbtrjly will become famous soon enoughPntbtrjly will become famous soon enoughPntbtrjly will become famous soon enoughPntbtrjly will become famous soon enoughPntbtrjly will become famous soon enough

After looking at about a hundred nearly impossible (for my minimal [read--non-existent] skill level) insyalls on a=pillars, this looks AMAZING. Will be using this in the coming months. Now if it was only this easy for woofers in a 2007 VW GTI...
Pntbtrjly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 113 freemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enough

That is BRILLIANT!@!

My tweets may not go in the kicks after all...........................
freemind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
those look really familiar...
It is a brilliant idea. Simple, functional, and looks good. James (SublimeZ) had his tweeters mounted in the same way and the improvement was dramatic.

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Old 02-23-2009   #14

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 105 rockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to rockinridgeline

Not bad. Great way to get them mounted without spending a fortune. Necessity is the mother of invention...
rockinridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 volker will become famous soon enoughvolker will become famous soon enoughvolker will become famous soon enoughvolker will become famous soon enoughvolker will become famous soon enoughvolker will become famous soon enough

Awesome idea, thanks for sharing !
volker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 109 enigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enoughenigma will become famous soon enough

Very nice, I will have to try this sometime. My Blaupunk VC100s are too large to flush in the A pillar so this would work nicely. Thanks.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Very nice, I will have to try this sometime. My Blaupunk VC100s are too large to flush in the A pillar so this would work nicely. Thanks.

One of the benefits is that they look nice and provide functionality. Also, you can swap in different size tweeters very easily. For example, I decided against the Morel Piccolos because I was concerned about mounting. With this method, it is very easy to mount even large format tweeters like the Hiquphones very easily.

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Old 02-25-2009   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 Maddman will become famous soon enoughMaddman will become famous soon enoughMaddman will become famous soon enoughMaddman will become famous soon enoughMaddman will become famous soon enoughMaddman will become famous soon enough

nice write-up and simple! well done.
Maddman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 shadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enough

I thought large format tweets were not doable in my Car without some fancy glassin, but this is much better/cheaper/easier/awesomer! I am totally doing this when I upgrade my tweets many millennia from now.

Pioneer PREMIER
Zed/Arc/Diamond ~ Seas\Peerless\DIYMA12
shadowfactory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 162 King Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enough

gonna go to menards with my speakers tomorrow and try to do something like this with a mid and tweet

disgusted..........
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mayhamfx will become famous soon enoughmayhamfx will become famous soon enoughmayhamfx will become famous soon enoughmayhamfx will become famous soon enoughmayhamfx will become famous soon enoughmayhamfx will become famous soon enough

I gotta laugh. I just got back from the hardware store with two caps for my tweeters. Then I found this article. Great minds think alike.
mayhamfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jeepintn will become famous soon enoughjeepintn will become famous soon enoughjeepintn will become famous soon enoughjeepintn will become famous soon enoughjeepintn will become famous soon enoughjeepintn will become famous soon enough

used this today and it turned out great! thanks for the idea
jeepintn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009   #23

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 142 mr tibbs will become famous soon enoughmr tibbs will become famous soon enoughmr tibbs will become famous soon enoughmr tibbs will become famous soon enoughmr tibbs will become famous soon enoughmr tibbs will become famous soon enough

Damn, why didn't I think of something like this years ago?? Great idea, I do believe I will use this over and over again! Thank you very much!!
mr tibbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 106 lithium will become famous soon enoughlithium will become famous soon enoughlithium will become famous soon enoughlithium will become famous soon enoughlithium will become famous soon enoughlithium will become famous soon enough

has this been tried with a mid and tweet yet? anyone got pics?
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 PsychoZX will become famous soon enoughPsychoZX will become famous soon enoughPsychoZX will become famous soon enoughPsychoZX will become famous soon enoughPsychoZX will become famous soon enoughPsychoZX will become famous soon enough

This is an awesome tutorial. I am going to do this when I get my new components.
PsychoZX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement