Another fiberglass box tutorial.. - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 illnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Another fiberglass box tutorial..

how did u estimate your box volume before hand?
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 143 DaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DaveRulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes
Go active man. You got all you need but those passives are holdin you back.
Agreed, go active! Ijust swapped in CDA-9833 and pulled out my CDT passives. It made a world of difference. There is so much more detail now. Active is clearly the only way to go.

I just need more deadening in the doors, they are rattling like crazy now.

Fellow 6 owner/enthusiast

Last edited by DaveRulz; 10-31-2006 at 12:02 PM..
DaveRulz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 139 dawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza
how did u estimate your box volume before hand?
As in, before I started building it? Honestly, there's not really a method to do it - I just sorta knew from past experience that 1.0 cubes, especially with a molded box, is quite often bigger than your mind may think. Basically, I got really lucky with the box volume.

Dave- Yeah, I'm the one who chewed you out on mazda6club.com for recommending Elemental Designs. I will eventually go active when the funds allow. Christmas is coming soon, and my wife is about to receive a long list of items.

CDA-9887... the rest is stock.. for now..
dawgdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 illnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enough

whats wrong with elemental designs???
Old 11-01-2006   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 143 DaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enoughDaveRulz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdan
Dave- Yeah, I'm the one who chewed you out on mazda6club.com for recommending Elemental Designs. I will eventually go active when the funds allow. Christmas is coming soon, and my wife is about to receive a long list of items.
I know, I know. Like I said, I've never had a problem with their products and I'm not using them in my car. Sounded like you had some bad experiences with Ben, and I guess it's just one of those situations where everything is just fine until there is a problem with the product and then the true colors come through.

I've had my CDTs running passive for over a year, and had never been super happy with the sound. I started with the tweeters in the stock locations, and they were painful to listen to, even padded down on the x-over. It seemed that no amount of EQ could fix the harshness at high volumes. So I moved them down to in front of the mids. I drilled out the holes in the door panel "grill" and mounted them behind there, aimed up at the listening position. This sounded better, but then it sounded like a lot of the highs were missing. So I reinstalled the stock tweeters in the sail panels, and ran them off of the image tweeter outputs on the crossovers. This was the best sound I could get out of the passive crossovers. When I pulled the passives, and just bi-amped the tweets and mids that were near eachother, crossed at 5k, the whole thing came alive. I remembered why I had gone active in my last full set up years ago.

Whatever, I digress...

I do have a question for you in regards to the sub enclosure. I built a pair of enclosures for a friend's 6 very similar to the one you built (pix below). We used Home Depot resin and mat (because we were dumb and impatient) But I swear, we used 4-5 gallons of that stuff to get them done. Did it really only take a gallon of resin for you to create that entire enclosure? Would you attribute that to the kyntex?

Last edited by DaveRulz; 11-01-2006 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-01-2006   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 139 dawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enough

Wow, Knytex or not, those are killer looking boxes!

When I did have to use chopped mat, I did notice that I needed to use more resin. So that's probably the case. Since the cloth is what gives resin its strength, I suppose that the dense Knytex fabric simply doesn't need as much resin. I was told by an experienced friend (the one that recommended Knytex) that it seems that most installs on the internet used way too much resin.

But yes, only one gallon to Build the structure, with enough leftover to make the Bondo-Glass milkshake.

Old 11-01-2006   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

ok, so kyntex it is for the next one! and thanks for the compliments. We were really happy with how it came out. Sounds pretty good too. Not the equipment I would have chosen, but it gets the job done.
Old 11-01-2006   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Trust me, you won't regret going with Knytex. The layup method is a little different than the little strips of chopped mat. You can work with much larger pieces, and pre-fitting them really helps a lot. It lays around curves beautifully for as thick as it is.

Old 11-02-2006   #34

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 129 Dichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enough

why did you mold off the interior fabric instead of cutting that away and going back to the metal frame? I would imagine you could get much more box volume without going into the trunk as much. is there some reason why doing so would be bad? if not I intend to remove as much carpet and foam and plastic that will just be covered up anyways as I can, to tuck it deep in there. also did you take into consideration the direction that the sub fires or is that not really all that much of a concern for your install?
Dichotomous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomous
why did you mold off the interior fabric instead of cutting that away and going back to the metal frame? I would imagine you could get much more box volume without going into the trunk as much...
This is a good point... It would definatly help out the design of the box. But at the same time sort of kill any resale value you might be trying to save...
Old 11-02-2006   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Because it's how I've seen it done before.

Actually, my trunk trim is pretty thin. I doubt you'd gain much room behind there, if any at all.

Old 11-03-2006   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I've taken the side trim out, you wouldn't have gained much if any volume. In older vehicles you might. But in new cars they usually realize that space is a premium and make pretty good use of it. The best part of leaving it in is that it gives you a smooth, complete surface to lay your glass on. You also have to remember that since you're popping a mold, you have to be able to pull it straight out. All of the room that you would gain would make it impossible to pull the mold back out of the car.

Also, as far as placement goes. In the Mazda 6, that's is the best placement. I've moved my sub into about every position possible, and that one sounds the best.
Old 11-03-2006   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Agreed, Dave.

Also, maybe because it's in the farthest-corner of the trunk, I am noticing a little bit of a delay on the sub. The lower midbass (80-140 Hz) "snap" of a kick drum seems to hit just a tiny bit sooner than the seat-kicking thump. Need to get some time-delay soon to remedy that.

Old 11-06-2006   #39

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 129 Dichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enoughDichotomous will become famous soon enough

never thought of the resale value afterwards, very very good point.
as far as the time delay on the sub, if your sub is firing sideways instead of forward or backwards, there will be a bit of a time delay on it, not much, but a tad bit more than if it were forward/backwards. or it could be in the wrong phase and just SEEM to be delayed.
Dichotomous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 cthip will become famous soon enoughcthip will become famous soon enoughcthip will become famous soon enoughcthip will become famous soon enoughcthip will become famous soon enoughcthip will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdan View Post
Trust me, you won't regret going with Knytex. The layup method is a little different than the little strips of chopped mat. You can work with much larger pieces, and pre-fitting them really helps a lot. It lays around curves beautifully for as thick as it is.
a note on the knytex: i've read this tutorial before, and always assumed that knytex would be very expensive, but this is apparently not the case!

as i understand it, 17 oz knytex is two layers of woven cloth (approximately 8.5 oz each) with a layer of 3/4 oz chop mat between them. if you were to add up the cost of the three layers individually, you would be paying nearly double what the knytex costs. considering that the knytex may save you some resin money as well if you can use fewer layers, then it sounds like it really works out to be a pretty good deal to me.
cthip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthip View Post
a note on the knytex: i've read this tutorial before, and always assumed that knytex would be very expensive, but this is apparently not the case!

as i understand it, 17 oz knytex is two layers of woven cloth (approximately 8.5 oz each) with a layer of 3/4 oz chop mat between them. if you were to add up the cost of the three layers individually, you would be paying nearly double what the knytex costs. considering that the knytex may save you some resin money as well if you can use fewer layers, then it sounds like it really works out to be a pretty good deal to me.
Good call. On the surface, it may sound more expensive, but I suppose it does work out cheaper. Fewer buildup layers = time saved. In addition, people often forget (or are totally unaware) that resin is structurally brittle. The goal is to use just enough resin to saturate the fabric, and too often I've seen people really goop the resin on by the cupful. The fabric, not the resin, gives the enclosure strength. I only used one gallon of US Composites resin for my entire build, and still have a little bit leftover.

Old 05-05-2008   #42

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 A6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this write-up! This was that one 'snap' article that makes me want to delve into building a fiberglass enclosure in my A6. Much appreciated!
A6Bman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-08-2008   #44

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 132 Coyote will become famous soon enoughCoyote will become famous soon enoughCoyote will become famous soon enoughCoyote will become famous soon enoughCoyote will become famous soon enoughCoyote will become famous soon enough

Wow, this tutorial makes me feel like I can tackle this project on my own as well, thanks!

One question, how did you handle the sub wiring? I couldn't find that part.
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I drilled a hole in the back of the box, in an inconspicuous area, ran Wire through it, and sealed it up with some silicone.

Not the most professional way to do it, but I didn't want to mess with terminal cups (I don't think there was a flat enough surface for a cup) and you couldn't tell once it was installed anyway.

Old 05-11-2008   #46

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 146 ZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ZoNtO Send a message via MSN to ZoNtO Send a message via Yahoo to ZoNtO

That's one advantage of running this enclosure. You bolt it to your frame, never take it out, so you don't need a terminal cup. For those tackling the project, make sure you give yourself enough Wire slack to pull the subwoofer out of the box once you silicone it through the hole you drill.

Makes me wonder if the one I ran is going to be long enough.....
ZoNtO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008   #47

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 A6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enoughA6Bman will become famous soon enough

Oh noes! That site is down! Does anyone have a pdf of this fiberglass tutorial?? I hadn't made one yet
A6Bman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008   #48
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 139 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Excellent writeup Dawgdan. I read this every once in a while for inspiration. I'm going to glass some kick panels this up coming weekend and wanted to brush up on techniques.

Ge0

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Rollin' Down Rodeo

Rep Power: 117 BlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enoughBlackSapphire will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
Excellent writeup Dawgdan. I read this every once in a while for inspiration. I'm going to glass some kick panels this up coming weekend and wanted to brush up on techniques.

Ge0
FG kicks are in my near future as well. I wonder if Kyntex is even worth it for such small pieces. I've got tons of chopped mat.

BlackSapphire --
BlackSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post

Ge0
Thanks mang! I may undertake a new project shortly in my truck, before the kid gets here. Gotta wait for it to cool down though.. glassing in 96 degree heat SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
FG kicks are in my near future as well. I wonder if Kyntex is even worth it for such small pieces. I've got tons of chopped mat.
In that case I'd probably use the chopped mat. You already have it on hand, and kicks aren't terribly large, so buildup time wouldn't be too bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement