Another fiberglass box tutorial.. - Page 5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012   #101

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 SuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Another fiberglass box tutorial..

The tutorial was great thanks for the tips. I started making my own fiberglass box this week. Made the mold shape in the car Tuesday night. Let it cure, and pulled it out last night =D It's a very fun process and I can't wait to finish it and hear my creation in action.

In the tutorial you hosed it off and found a leak - Isn't it a bad idea to get those MDF mounts wet? I would think that would soften them up and make them too weak for a sub. I can see trying to vacuum out any loose pieces inside the box to clean it up but I would try to keep water away from the ring if I could.

I was thinking that I should coat the inside of mine with bondo to ensure it's air seal as well. How much effort should I put into make the seal really air-tight? Should I go nuts trying to make the box air tight around the speaker terminals and using rubber gaskets around the speaker?

Is it feasible to make it the 'perfect enclosure' or do 'sealed' boxes rely a bit on a tiny air leak to control the woofer cones movement?

I was planning to try and make this completely air tight but then read a thread on here about how no one really has the perfect enclosure so I got confused. My old (10+ year old) subwoofer's foam surround tore all the way around. Sure it lived its life awhile but I thought maybe because it had air leaks (it had no rubber gasket around the speaker mount/box) that promoted the cone surround to break so I thought to treat my new woofer better I should really go crazy with the air sealing process.

Sorry for the long winded post, any thoughts on this guys?
SuMb0dY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012   #102
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 theoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enough

a lot of work to build a box when you could jsut use MDF (a box is an object with 6 flat sides.
theoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012   #103

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 SuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enoughSuMb0dY will become famous soon enough

Haha yes very difficult to get all the corners and angles perfect 90 degrees
SuMb0dY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012   #104

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 112 Project_dog will become famous soon enoughProject_dog will become famous soon enoughProject_dog will become famous soon enoughProject_dog will become famous soon enoughProject_dog will become famous soon enoughProject_dog will become famous soon enough

Thank u

2007 Mazda CX 7. Kenwood KVT-696 (GPS, NAV, BLUE, IPOD) Memphis 1000, Memphis 4.50 and Memphis 500, Memphis Two 10 inch C3's
Project_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012   #105

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 x97chevy will become famous soon enoughx97chevy will become famous soon enoughx97chevy will become famous soon enoughx97chevy will become famous soon enoughx97chevy will become famous soon enoughx97chevy will become famous soon enough

That is an awesome write up!!!
x97chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012   #106

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 shoot summ will become famous soon enoughshoot summ will become famous soon enoughshoot summ will become famous soon enoughshoot summ will become famous soon enoughshoot summ will become famous soon enoughshoot summ will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your effort putting the guide together, yours is actually one of the resources I used in making mine. It is still in progress but will have it finished this week. For those that state it is a lot more effort than building an MDF box you are right, but it is also way cooler, and more space efficient than a plain old MDF box.

shoot summ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012   #107

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 eddie298 will become famous soon enougheddie298 will become famous soon enougheddie298 will become famous soon enougheddie298 will become famous soon enougheddie298 will become famous soon enougheddie298 will become famous soon enough

this is awesome, when i eventually buy a subwoofer, im definitly going to try this.
eddie298 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013   #108

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Perfectionist Auto Sound
Position:
Fab guy

Rep Power: 113 bobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enough

I don't mean to be a giant turd in the punchbowl here, but this thread needs help. The basic process of the OP is just fine, but the glass work itself is very poor. There is way too much air in your layups. Proper wetout, consistent thickness, and proper resin:glass ratio are all easily reachable goals with just a little practice.

I don't want to come down to hard, because we've all been here, but the standard for a 'reference thread' should be much higher.

Here's a couple nice layups. If you want to see my ugly years getting started, check out the comatose fiberglassforums.

I have been using dye in my resin for the last couple of years. Looks cleaner.

Kick panels

Use wax or silicone spray to make your tape release 100%.

tape off the inside of your rings so you don't have to sand them. Also, leave yourself an edge to sand to by always rabetting the edge of the ring, if it's wood.

Also notice I used foam on these instead of fleece. Get the shape you want before you fill it. Don't try to use a gallon of bondo to correct imperfections in the shape. If you want the fleece look, make ribs/strips of wood to hold it there.

Nice and clean - skim filler and sand before you pull the tape of the middle.

Always glass the outside of the enclosure to ensure a good layup, uniform thickness, etc. Way faster, easier, stronger, better. period.

Some of these things don't need filler, if they're carpeted.

I primered this box with no sanding at all just to show how flat it should be. I knocked it with a d/a real quick, and wrapped it in carpet.

Nelson Hays
Perfectionist Auto Sound
Anchorage, AK
bobwires is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013   #109
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 quietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwires View Post

Also notice I used foam on these instead of fleece. Get the shape you want before you fill it. Don't try to use a gallon of bondo to correct imperfections in the shape. If you want the fleece look, make ribs/strips of wood to hold it there.
can you explain/show this in pics?
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013   #110

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Perfectionist Auto Sound
Position:
Fab guy

Rep Power: 113 bobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enoughbobwires will become famous soon enough

pour foam kick panels

Kick Panels Bobwires' style

my old method using fleece and foam in combination. This takes a lot of time, and I don't think I'll be doing it again.

JL in a Tahoe semi-stealth box

floral foam used for trim

Subaru with Hertz, Rockford, and a fiberglass enclosure

Nelson Hays
Perfectionist Auto Sound
Anchorage, AK
bobwires is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013   #111
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 quietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enoughquietfly will become famous soon enough

thanks for the links... I think i might try foaming up some stuff....
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013   #112

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Earful will become famous soon enoughEarful will become famous soon enoughEarful will become famous soon enoughEarful will become famous soon enoughEarful will become famous soon enoughEarful will become famous soon enough

This thread is fantastic! Many chime-in's to assist those, like myself, who dont have any experience with glass. Custom enclosure nirvana....
Earful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013   #113

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
KAOTIK KUSTUMZ
Position:
OWNER

Rep Power: 0 KaotikKustumz will become famous soon enoughKaotikKustumz will become famous soon enoughKaotikKustumz will become famous soon enoughKaotikKustumz will become famous soon enoughKaotikKustumz will become famous soon enoughKaotikKustumz will become famous soon enough

LOVE THE TUTORIAL!!!!!
KaotikKustumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013   #114

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 SuperGokuSon will become famous soon enoughSuperGokuSon will become famous soon enoughSuperGokuSon will become famous soon enoughSuperGokuSon will become famous soon enoughSuperGokuSon will become famous soon enoughSuperGokuSon will become famous soon enough

WoW im a total nood when it comes to this and now i feal like i could give it a shot and see what haponds i loved how you calculated the cubs of the box so simple. and i do not feel like such a dummy now lol :-)

▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░We are but rifts in the sands of time ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄.
SuperGokuSon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013   #115

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 loudnproud808 will become famous soon enoughloudnproud808 will become famous soon enoughloudnproud808 will become famous soon enoughloudnproud808 will become famous soon enoughloudnproud808 will become famous soon enoughloudnproud808 will become famous soon enough

been checking out these forums for years , and now finally made an account , nice thread this whole forum is awesome ! i have recently been thinking about trying this fiber glass enclosure builds myself !
loudnproud808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013   #116

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 ndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enough

Fantastic Tutorial! Thanks for doing all that posting work.
ndramountanis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014   #117

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 liljohn30 is on a distinguished roadliljohn30 is on a distinguished roadliljohn30 is on a distinguished roadliljohn30 is on a distinguished roadliljohn30 is on a distinguished road

Who in Atlanta can do this work
liljohn30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014   #118

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
kia service consultant

Rep Power: 63 The Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwires View Post
I don't mean to be a giant turd in the punchbowl here, but this thread needs help. The basic process of the OP is just fine, but the glass work itself is very poor. There is way too much air in your layups. Proper wetout, consistent thickness, and proper resin:glass ratio are all easily reachable goals with just a little practice.

I don't want to come down to hard, because we've all been here, but the standard for a 'reference thread' should be much higher.

Here's a couple nice layups. If you want to see my ugly years getting started, check out the comatose fiberglassforums.

I have been using dye in my resin for the last couple of years. Looks cleaner.

Kick panels

Use wax or silicone spray to make your tape release 100%.

tape off the inside of your rings so you don't have to sand them. Also, leave yourself an edge to sand to by always rabetting the edge of the ring, if it's wood.

Nice and clean - skim filler and sand before you pull the tape of the middle.

Always glass the outside of the enclosure to ensure a good layup, uniform thickness, etc. Way faster, easier, stronger, better. period.

Some of these things don't need filler, if they're carpeted.

I primered this box with no sanding at all just to show how flat it should be. I knocked it with a d/a real quick, and wrapped it in carpet.

It is so good to see a glass veteran stepping in.

Dude maybe you know wth is the deal with fgforums? All the good fab guys are far and few to keep up with anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Performer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014   #119

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 liljohn30 is on a distinguished roadliljohn30 is on a distinguished roadliljohn30 is on a distinguished roadliljohn30 is on a distinguished roadliljohn30 is on a distinguished road

What the hellz up with that forum,fiberglass forum..I joined but it never went through..I was gonna try this ,but kinda gave up,n an looking for someone to do some work in my dodge ram.i wanna do a center console with wood n glass,and then do a mold of the storage bins to try n put in some subs n retain the fold floors
liljohn30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014   #120

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 Ordie will become famous soon enoughOrdie will become famous soon enoughOrdie will become famous soon enoughOrdie will become famous soon enoughOrdie will become famous soon enoughOrdie will become famous soon enough

Its been down for a while...

Sent from my mind to the forum through a Galaxy SIII and Tapatalk 2.
Ordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014   #121

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
kia service consultant

Rep Power: 63 The Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn30 View Post
What the hellz up with that forum,fiberglass forum..I joined but it never went through..I was gonna try this ,but kinda gave up,n an looking for someone to do some work in my dodge ram.i wanna do a center console with wood n glass,and then do a mold of the storage bins to try n put in some subs n retain the fold floors
http://pascackvalleyhome.com/wp-cont...1/07/WHAT1.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Performer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014   #122

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 115 mikelycka will become famous soon enoughmikelycka will become famous soon enoughmikelycka will become famous soon enoughmikelycka will become famous soon enoughmikelycka will become famous soon enoughmikelycka will become famous soon enough

this is a great post now I feel better about wanting to try this my car is leased and I don't want to damage anything but I also need to use my trunk
mikelycka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement