Another fiberglass box tutorial.. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 140 dawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enough

Default Another fiberglass box tutorial..

Been working on this one for a little while, finally got the page up. Lemme know what you think.

http://www.gadrivers.net/~dwicker/fiberglass.html
dawgdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 152 ocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Another fiberglass box tutorial..

Very nice. That is going to be very helpful for a lot of people.
ocuriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 140 dawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enough

Thanks. I have always been a chronic researcher, and I didn't think many of the tutorials out there had enough detail on what to buy and how to use it. I know it's not 56k-friendly, but hopefully it will be of use to some folks out there.

Old 10-17-2006   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

Awesome tutorial. It makes me feel like I actually have the courage to give it a shot!
solacedagony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 149 Beau will become famous soon enoughBeau will become famous soon enoughBeau will become famous soon enoughBeau will become famous soon enoughBeau will become famous soon enoughBeau will become famous soon enough

Please accept my praise and thanks. I will be venturing into fiberglass at some point in the near future.

Now all I need is your home phone (j/k), so you can tell me how to fix what I've botched.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Yo mama
Position:
Yo mama

Rep Power: 136 Lothar34 will become famous soon enoughLothar34 will become famous soon enoughLothar34 will become famous soon enoughLothar34 will become famous soon enoughLothar34 will become famous soon enoughLothar34 will become famous soon enough

Your milkshake is the best.

j/k
Nice writeup. Please don't take it down ever because I'm sure I'll need it for reference someday.
Lothar34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

It'll be up for as long as my buddy's server is up. Thanks for the props.
Old 10-18-2006   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 192 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

That is a very nice tutorial... feel free to copy it over here if you want

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 137 Relax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar34
Your milkshake is the best.

j/k
Nice writeup. Please don't take it down ever because I'm sure I'll need it for reference someday.

Just save the site to your harddrive- go to favorites, add it as a favorite and click "make available offline." Or file save as: and then maker sure you have complete webpage as the selected save type.
Relax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006   #10

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 178 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

Oh man, perfect timing for me! One of the best tutorials I've ever seen! Thanks for the time spent doing that and posting your work. You know it's done right when the final product just looks like it belongs in the car.
FoxPro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006   #11

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 141 scott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enough

great tutorial! thanks, i'll be bookmarking this!
scott_fx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Squad
Oh man, perfect timing for me! One of the best tutorials I've ever seen! Thanks for the time spent doing that and posting your work. You know it's done right when the final product just looks like it belongs in the car.
Heh, wow, thanks for the compliments.

I'm no expert, but I was pretty pleased with the final results.

FWIW, I can't really stress enough the importance of the Knytex biaxial I used. Every other tutorial I've seen and pretty much every other box out there uses plain chopped strand mat. I used chopped mat on some surfaces for this project.. and I only used it because I had to. Knytex is absolutely superior in every way, except when you're trying to do any upside-down surfaces. I don't have the patience to lay 8-10 layers of chopped mat, and the Knytex is totally flex-free with 4 layers.

CDA-9887... the rest is stock.. for now..
Old 10-18-2006   #13

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

What exactly is the Kyntex?

Very nice tutorial btw, nicely done.

I used Extra strength Chopped matting, and 4-6 layers of it gave me a 1/8" of thickness, does the Kyntex stick to the surface or something special, never heard of it.
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 137 Relax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enoughRelax will become famous soon enough

Where can you get Kyntex also?
Relax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2006   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

It's all in the tutorial, near the top of the page. There's all kind of commentary about Knytex, why Bondo brand resin sucks, etc.

"What is Knytex, and why use it? Knytex biaxial fabric is made by Owens-Corning. It is made up of essentially two layers of fabric – one side is stranded, and the other side is woven, and both materials are stitched together. Its primary use is for structural reinforcement in boat hulls. In this project, I used it as an alternative to regular chopped strand mat that's often used in fiberglassing projects (including this one). Chopped strand mat is great for certain purposes - tight turns, tweeter pods, and smaller fiberglass projects. But for making a subwoofer box, a thicker material, like Knytex, is preferable. Why? First off, Knytex is incredibly strong. When soaked with resin, using Knytex as reinforcement results in a much faster build-up. For impatient souls like me, this is huge. Three or four layers of Knytex will be as strong or stronger than 7-10 layers of regular chopped strand mat. In addition, for as thick as it is, Knytex bends around corners fairly easily. This stuff is excellent for building up a thick layer very fast."

You can buy it from uscomposites.com under "Specialty Fabrics". I bought 3 yards of the 17 ounce fabric.

It doesn't really do anything special except make for a much faster buildup. It lays up with resin very easily on flat and curved surfaces as long as they don't venture into being upside down (it's got too much mass to stick to a surface upside down). Once you try it, you'll see how much easier it is. Seriously, a night and day difference.

Last edited by dawgdan; 10-19-2006 at 03:56 AM..
Old 10-20-2006   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 165 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

"For over 10 years, I've been into car audio. I've always built big, rectangular subwoofer boxes that take up most, if not all, available trunk space in the vehicles I've owned. After getting married, settling down, and buying a house, it turns out that I need my trunk quite a bit more often than before."

Oh my...you pulled my card with that. I have a 2 and 5 yr old and early this year picked up a nice used 300M and still find myself looking for space. That car has a very nice sized trunk but a box would ruin the layout. A side fiberglass box is the only way to really make use of the side space.

Thanks for the effort!
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2006   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 191 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Nice job and great write up. Especially because I think we have the same exact car (6?)

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

You got it.

Old 10-25-2006   #19

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 178 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

How did you secure the box to the car??
FoxPro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Heavy-duty velcro. It already was a pretty snug-fit, and it doesn't really budge at all. That area of the car doesn't have a really good spot to sink a screw into, but I may do that anyways.

Old 10-26-2006   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

Where did you get your heavy duty velcro from?
solacedagony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2006   #22

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 167 bobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enough

they sell industrial velcro at home depot and lowes

bobditts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2006   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Yep, what he said. Lowe's.

Old 10-27-2006   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 191 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Get the metra kit and a 880prs. Go active man. You got all you need but those passives are holdin you back.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Yeah, I know. The 3sixty.2 is on the wish list. For around the same price as the Metra + 880PRS (or any other really nice and flexible HU) I can keep the stock HU. I also need to add a second amp (probably a RF T5002) so that I can use the T4004 to power the each front driver individually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement