Repairing ribbon drivers with kitchen foil - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007   #26
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 191 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Default Re: Repairing ribbon drivers with kitchen foil

That looks like the right one. The ribbon will stretch to fit and the LCY's do have the slit in the middle, it's not 2 separate ones.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 184 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

It turns out they sent me the 100k ribbon by mistake. It was far too small. If I stretch it it won't even have ribbs anymore

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 illnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enough

wow thats insane !

total DIY at its best
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 184 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza View Post
wow thats insane !

total DIY at its best
To really make this right you need special aluminum foil. From what I understand there is a convertor inside that needs to work with the proper thickness ribbon material.

Lcy also has that slit down the middle which I can't figure out how to replicate. You might need laser technology!

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 147 cotdt is on a distinguished roadcotdt is on a distinguished roadcotdt is on a distinguished roadcotdt is on a distinguished roadcotdt is on a distinguished road

The links to the pics no longer workie =(
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009   #31

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 136 nelsondog will become famous soon enoughnelsondog will become famous soon enoughnelsondog will become famous soon enoughnelsondog will become famous soon enoughnelsondog will become famous soon enoughnelsondog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
I need some help from you guys. I bought these lcy 108s from ebay and I mistakenly let go of my tool in one of the ribbons. You know how that is Anyways, I took them out and look what I found. It looks like the magnet was covered with some foil that shreded itself to death with use or something. Is this going to affect performance even if I change the ribbon? How bad is the damage?

The stuff you see on the magnet is actually a coating on the magnet to prevent rust from forming.
I heard of using the foil from a certain type of capacitor to make new ribbon elements. You have to take apart the cap and unwind the foil to the length you need. The foil needs to be very thin.
nelsondog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009   #32

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 123 blindbug will become famous soon enoughblindbug will become famous soon enoughblindbug will become famous soon enoughblindbug will become famous soon enoughblindbug will become famous soon enoughblindbug will become famous soon enough

Ha.... I've got pretty much the same ruler and mine's broke too.

Good tutorial. Didn't even know you could repair ribbons... much less with such a simple solution.

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5SL | Build Log
blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010   #33

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 StickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enough

I bought a repair kit for the LCY ribbons from e-speakers a while back and lost it! Strange, because I pretty much never lose things. Anyway, they're not listed on e-speakers anymore.
StickToRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010   #34

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 distronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickToRhythm View Post
I bought a repair kit for the LCY ribbons from e-speakers a while back and lost it! Strange, because I pretty much never lose things. Anyway, they're not listed on e-speakers anymore.
Isn't this link it? Welcome to E-Speakers.com - Very High End Loudspeaker Components
distronic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010   #35

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 StickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enoughStickToRhythm will become famous soon enough

That's it, thanks. It must have been down for a while, unless I just missed it for some reason. By the way, I'm selling my LCY 130 ribbons in case anyone is interested - I went with an A-pillar installation instead of putting the ribbons in kicks like I was planning.
StickToRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010   #36

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 single-t will become famous soon enoughsingle-t will become famous soon enoughsingle-t will become famous soon enoughsingle-t will become famous soon enoughsingle-t will become famous soon enoughsingle-t will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daitrong View Post
let us know when u experienment with the diff materials.
Yes, I'm a little anxious to know as well.
Thanks!
single-t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014   #37

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 distronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enoughdistronic will become famous soon enough

I just want to say thank you for the guide. I had some issues with losing sound in my LCY-110s and followed this guide to replace the Speaker element with regular reynold's wrap foil. I found out that for some reason, there was a buildup of dust at the sides of the foil which was basically preventing the element from moving properly. After replacing them they are working like new!
distronic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement