Repairing ribbon drivers with kitchen foil - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 191 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Default Repairing ribbon drivers with kitchen foil

The first thing I'd like to do is thank Vinh from Team Toxic Bass for this article.

This article explains step by step how you can repair a damaged ribbon element by using kitchen aluminum foil. Of course you can always contact DiyMobileAudio for ribbon replacements as well. The only difference is that the kitchen foil is a tiny tiny bit thicker. As far as I can tell, there's very little difference. The kitchen foil has perhaps slightly lower sensitivity, but a slightly smoother top end. Feel free to experiment with different size wrinkles, tensioning, and width.

This example uses the LCY 130 tweeter, but more or less all the drivers from AC, Fountek, and LCY can be repaired in a similar fashion.

01: All tools needed. Aluminum Foil, Ruler, Razor, Rippled Bottle Caps. You can also try experimenting with different brands of aluminum foil, copper foil tape, etc. but that's an entirely different topic.

02: Holding sercurely both allen-tool and bolt with both hands, remove
the bolts. (Note: Try not to hold allen-tool or bolt directly over
ribbon cavity / magnetic field)

03: Bolts will be sucked in.

04: Without bringing allen-tool directly over ribbon cavity, unscrew
bolts. Take out allen-bolt and allen-tool, holding them both
securely.

05: ..or else.

06: After metal bolts are removed, remove protective tape and plastic
(ribbon) holding blocks.

07: If you cannot measure original ribbon element measure ribbon
cavity for ribbon width.

08: With a ruler, flatten out wrinkles on the piece of aluminum foil,
on a flat surface.

09: Using the ruler and razor, cut one straight side.

10: Measure and mark, with the razor, the width needed for the ribbon.

11: New ribbon element cut to size.

12: Two bottle caps held together for ribbon ripple making.

13: Its all in the technique... feel free to experiement with small and large ripples.

14: Plastic holding blocks are different in size. Make sure you put
them where theyre suppose to go. (Note: Sticky glue on ribbon-side of
holding blocks)

15: Placing the new ribbon element in as straight as possible. Place
the plastic holding block in as straight as possible (Note: Glue on
plastic holding block will prevent you from moving/twisting straight
once it is pressed down onto the ribbon - without twisting the ribbon
element). Holding allen-bolt sercurely, place inside hole. Then
holding allen-tool sercurely, screw in allen-bolt.

16: HOLD YOUR TOOLS (AND BOLTS) SERCURELY!!!

17: New ribbons in. Feel free to experiment with the tension of the ribbons between the blocks... either loosening them with a bit of sag or stretching them tight. If you just want to repair the ribbon, set the ribbon between the blocks identical to the stock ribbon.

18: Cut off excess ribbon element.

19: Place protective tape back on.

20: Holden bolts and tools sercurely, reassemble ribbon tweeter.

21: Finished.

npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 152 10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough

Its Team Toxic Treble now..! :P 8)
10K2HVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2005   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 147 Tirefryr will become famous soon enoughTirefryr will become famous soon enoughTirefryr will become famous soon enoughTirefryr will become famous soon enoughTirefryr will become famous soon enoughTirefryr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Tirefryr

I'm really loving the user-friendly service of these things!

A bunch of equipment in boxes in the basement.

Stereo Integrity rep. Questions about SI products? Email me at kwik9550@comcast.net and I'll do what I can to help.
Tirefryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2005   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 152 10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough

more reference..

Old 06-13-2005   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 146 fugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to fugyaself

How is it you can just use random foil and random ribs when doing this? I would think that the element used would be a huge determinant in how it will sound.

Beer
fugyaself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2005   #6

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

Thats the thing......Different techniques, width of ribs, tension and really everything will change the sound i'd think.......Thats really the beauty of them not to mention there overall appeal for sq.

Basically you can talor your sound if you wanted from changing the foil and the way you make the foil.
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2005   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 146 fugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enoughfugyaself will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to fugyaself

Sure you can get results with it. But you can with a typical driver too. It doesnt mean you will end up with the same...or even an acceptable speaker.

Beer
fugyaself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2005   #8

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

Didn't mention the fact that all that taloiring can lead to both extreems, a very good sound, or all of the messing around could lead to a sound that you won't really like.....trial and error i guess.
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 148 daitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to daitrong

for those looking for a similar pleat to the original ribbon..

Go to BgMirco

http://www.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?...time_out=44:58

price of the gear is cheap, shipping is outrageous. 6 bucks to the lower 48
daitrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2005   #10

DIYMA Novice

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reyn...wrap/index.asp

^according to this site, Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil is around 0.045" (45 mil thick)

http://www.glassmart.com/foil_menu.htm

did some searching around and found some 1.5 mil thick COPPER FOIL.

Knowing that the aluminum foil (in first post) is slightly thicker then the actual foil used in the original LCY ribbon element, this might make a nice choice for new ribbon elements! 8)

unfortunately, LCY ribbon elements are wider then the largest width of copper foil they have available (1/2"). So this might make a nice choice for someone with single band ribbons (Aurum Cantus, Fountek, etc)...
Old 06-17-2005   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 148 daitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enoughdaitrong will become famous soon enough

the lcy 130 foil isn't one whole piece. It's cut into 2 smaller foil sheets. So you wouldn't need like a 3/4 inch piece of foil to pleat... just do like 2 2/5" width foils. I'm not sure on the exact measurements of the ribbon but it's something like that.
Old 06-17-2005   #12

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by daitrong
the lcy 130 foil isn't one whole piece. It's cut into 2 smaller foil sheets. So you wouldn't need like a 3/4 inch piece of foil to pleat... just do like 2 2/5" width foils. I'm not sure on the exact measurements of the ribbon but it's something like that.
you need to take a closer look at your LCY ribbons..

its one piece with a slit down the middle.. :wink:

trust me, ive been playing with the LCY quite a lot and i have an extra *original/replacement* ribbon element in my drawer...

anyways, even if i/we/somebody uses 2 thin pieces, it should be (nearly) the same.

if nobodies going to take this up, im probably going to try this for everybody and have Mr. Dang measure it - since i have an extra ribbon element, afterall....

- i love ribbons ALPINE IVA-D300 + PXA-H701 + MRV-F345 + MRV-F345 + MRD-M1001
LCY 110 + SEAS LOTUS RM110 + SEAS L18RNX + SEAS LOTUS SW300 / Ascendant Audio Atlas 12"
Old 06-18-2005   #13

DIYMA freshman

the slit ends at the very tip of both ends.. which makes it essentially 2 separate elements. manufature probably made the slit so it'll be easier to install replace... but yea, essentially it is 2 separte ribbons..

let us know when u experienment with the diff materials.
Old 09-20-2005   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 capslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Repairing ribbon drivers with kitchen foil

Just curious about the construction of all those ribbon tweeter motors. It seems from the photos and drawings in this thread, all three (Aurum Cantus/ Fountek , LCY and Raven) use magnets that are essentially rectangular in cross section but have their corners facing the gap cut off at 45°, resulting in cut-off triangles facing the ribbon.

Are those cut of rectangles solid Nd magnets or do they consist of iron with a magnet buried somewhere inside?

Is there an iron return path connecting the outward facing sides of the magnets?
capslock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2005   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 191 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Can't speak for the other ribbons, but for the LCY's it appears to be a plastic block with the magnets behind or underneath.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
Old 09-23-2005   #16

DIYMA Novice

yup..yup! the rectangle magnets are 90° to the ribbon element with plastic molded top with 45° coners towards the ribbon cavity.

- i love ribbons ALPINE IVA-D300 + PXA-H701 + MRV-F345 + MRV-F345 + MRD-M1001
LCY 110 + SEAS LOTUS RM110 + SEAS L18RNX + SEAS LOTUS SW300 / Ascendant Audio Atlas 12"
Old 09-25-2005   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 capslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enoughcapslock will become famous soon enough

So are those rectangle things with the 45° corners solid Nd magnets or iron with some magnets hidden inside or at the outwards pointing sides?
capslock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2005   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

I really couldn't say with the LCY's. With the Fountek jp2 there is a piece of steel with a 45 degree cut under the plastic one, with the neo magnets to the side and under.

Old 04-01-2007   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 133 weng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enough

One of my LCY110 died. I have tried replacing the element with kitchen foil and it is alive again I was thinking of getting the original element replacement from LCY, but where could I buy it online ? thanks !
weng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Solen.ca or espeakers

Old 04-03-2007   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 183 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

I need some help from you guys. I bought these lcy 108s from ebay and I mistakenly let go of my tool in one of the ribbons. You know how that is Anyways, I took them out and look what I found. It looks like the magnet was covered with some foil that shreded itself to death with use or something. Is this going to affect performance even if I change the ribbon? How bad is the damage?

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Doubt if it affects anything.

Old 04-03-2007   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 183 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing the last ribbon element went out with a bang or something.

Maybe the magnetic field might be a little weak now...they do loose some steam in the long run don't they?

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 04-06-2007   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 133 weng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enoughweng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdang View Post
Solen.ca or espeakers
Thanks !
weng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I just got the replacement ribbon element form espeakers and it does not look right. It's way too small, it's not even made for my Speaker but it does have a very small slit in the middle

BTW I have been running Raynolds aluminum foil on one of the ribbons. The sensitivity is much lower on the diy one, and it does not have much airyness to it. It's really dull and boring. I need to get a genuine replacement ribbon somehow.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:

Last edited by cvjoint; 04-11-2007 at 07:11 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement