A Basic Guide to Crossovers - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009   #76

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 tim eh? will become famous soon enoughtim eh? will become famous soon enoughtim eh? will become famous soon enoughtim eh? will become famous soon enoughtim eh? will become famous soon enoughtim eh? will become famous soon enough

Default Re: A Basic Guide to Crossovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
I'm not quite following you. Can you be more specific? What is FL, BL, and the other labeling you're using?
Sorry... Front Left and Back Left, (I am copying what's on the schematics I have so as not to confuse myself) - I will use RL (Rear Left).
Actually you can't see it on the circuitboard but they are spliced together in the factory wiring.

The factory head unit (which I never had, I bought the Car with no h/u) had 4 line outs but only L and R Speaker negatives. It was connected to an amp in the trunk that contained crossovers for the (10) speakers, 3way pair in the front and 2way pair in the rear. Each set of speakers (FL, FR, RL, RR) shares a common negative (total 4), so I'm wondering if it affects things (ie ohms & f/b fading) if I use the factory L and R Speaker negatives and tie fronts and backs together or if I should connect seperate negatives for each of the 4 sets of speakers straight to my head unit. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, typical noob eh?

edit: these are the old amp connections that I am using.

edit: found out through trial and error that you have to run speaker grounds separately.
(...success! -> factory amp bypass (my way - lots of pics) - BimmerNut.com Forums )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ampplugdiagram.jpg (39.4 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by tim eh?; 03-28-2009 at 06:20 PM..
tim eh? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009   #77

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 cdm110 will become famous soon enoughcdm110 will become famous soon enoughcdm110 will become famous soon enoughcdm110 will become famous soon enoughcdm110 will become famous soon enoughcdm110 will become famous soon enough

Awesome, I love finding informative write-ups like this. Great Job.
cdm110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009   #78

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 ss600r will become famous soon enoughss600r will become famous soon enoughss600r will become famous soon enoughss600r will become famous soon enoughss600r will become famous soon enoughss600r will become famous soon enough

Great info in here!
ss600r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 170 MiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura about

For those stumbling onto this thread, understand that I no longer support DIYMA, and will not affiliate myself with the administration of this website. So, I have pulled all my pictures from the relevant technical threads that I've generated over the years here.

For those that do wish to discuss the contents of this thread, or any other technical thread that I've generated, or participated in, I do still contribute, and discuss at another venue.

The ability to buy expensive equipment does NOT make you an audiophile.
MiniVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011   #80

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 Golden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enough

Where did Minivan man go? What other site?
Golden Ears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011   #81

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 124 saMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enough

Who cares? If someone allows anything on the internet to get them upset enough to take their crayons and leave, so to speak, they're not much of an asset to anyone.

saMxp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011   #82

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 Golden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enoughGolden Ears will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saMxp View Post
Who cares? If someone allows anything on the internet to get them upset enough to take their crayons and leave, so to speak, they're not much of an asset to anyone.

Well if a person puts considerable time to help others, and then feels badly enough to leave- I think it is a shame. I do not know the history of why he left though- but enjoyed his discussion. I personally relate as I put an enormous amount of time and late nights into two skateboard slalom forums (I was a Pro World Champion) - one site which I help make popular, and another which I founded and became the most popular later- and found myself leaving both of them because of lack of respect by a bunch of amateur skaters who essentially morphed the sport to turn it into more of a barbecue beer blast party with racing as opposed to a true test of pro skill and speed.

I hope that the reasonable people with lots of knowledge stay here- or we become just another average Car audio site of consumers wondering which amp plays louder.
Golden Ears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011   #83

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 124 saMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enoughsaMxp will become famous soon enough

I feel your pain, and you've obviously witnessed this "internet phenomenon" more than once. The elite among us like to feel that they are on an exclusive, elite site where only they can carry on high level discussions on acoustics, physics, measurement, etc. without the intervention of anyone that's still learning that might dilute the conversation. It started years ago, and now they've picked up their crayons and found a new site. Soon, people eager to elevate their knowledge of acoustics will find that forum and inundate it with new members and they'll move on to another forum. I've chased these guys through three forums prior to this one and decided it wasn't worth it. There are still quite a few really knowledgeable people on this site with skin a bit thicker than the rest. It's easy enough to ignore the dumb questions because this site does a good job at filtering dumb newbie questions to the right place.

saMxp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011   #84

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Stewman will become famous soon enoughStewman will become famous soon enoughStewman will become famous soon enoughStewman will become famous soon enoughStewman will become famous soon enoughStewman will become famous soon enough

this guide was a great help thank you!
Stewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011   #85

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 69 Noobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished road

to keep questions abaout theese in one place..

how many amplifier channels do i need for one 3 way passive and a 2 way passive
Noobdelux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012   #86

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
TokoSpeaker.com
Position:
CEO

Rep Power: 80 TokoSpeaker will become famous soon enoughTokoSpeaker will become famous soon enoughTokoSpeaker will become famous soon enoughTokoSpeaker will become famous soon enoughTokoSpeaker will become famous soon enoughTokoSpeaker will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to TokoSpeaker

IMHO.
Depends on your configuration.
Bi-amp or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobdelux View Post
to keep questions abaout theese in one place..

how many amplifier channels do i need for one 3 way passive and a 2 way passive
TokoSpeaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012   #87

Rep Power: 0 Eugenester will become famous soon enoughEugenester will become famous soon enoughEugenester will become famous soon enoughEugenester will become famous soon enoughEugenester will become famous soon enoughEugenester will become famous soon enough

Very informative - thanks!
Eugenester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #88

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 50 kaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enough

Hi! First of all.. great thread, very useful.

I have a question: I'm using a processor and I'm able to choose the crossover and slope.

If I have for example a tweeter I want to xover at 4kHz, how do frecuency change based on the order?? Or is the same??

To see in numbers:

xover desired point: 4kHz

butterworth at 6 dB/oct 4kHz
butterworth at 12 dB/oct ... will be the same point?? 4kHz or something like 4.1kHz?
and with 24dB slope?

Is just that I don't understand if the xover point changes based on the slope.

Thanks everyone!
kaflam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #89
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA super monkey!

Rep Power: 193 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

the crossover point will same, 4khz. the slope is what changes.

for your example,

4khz 12db/oct will be 12 db down, an octave later. so 12db quieter at 2khz, 24db at 1khz, etc.

4khz 24db.oct will be 24 db down, an octave later, so 24db quieter at 2khz. Slope is twice as steep.

there is a bit more to it than that, phase relationships, alignments, etc. but that is the basics.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2013 Fiesta, Stock Sync HU |AC LC2i | Phoenix Gold EQ215i | Soundstream SA120 -> ID CD1eMH | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> ID X65 | JL 500/1 -> (2) 15" Pyle PL1590BL in IB
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #90

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 50 kaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enoughkaflam will become famous soon enough

Ok, so I think I was right about what I understand while reading.

So, I know it all depends on your system configuration/design and desired result but..

Can you say that the bigger the slope, the better the xover??
Old 06-24-2013   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA super monkey!

Rep Power: 193 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaflam View Post
Ok, so I think I was right about what I understand while reading.

So, I know it all depends on your system configuration/design and desired result but..

Can you say that the bigger the slope, the best xover??
not at all. slope can be dictated by driver capabilities, like the HLCD in my car, it is highly recommended that you use a 24db/oct slope if you want to push the horn down to 1300 hz.

on other drivers it may just be personal preferance. for me, I like 12db/oct. gives a good balance of quick slope and still sounding natural. for me a 24db/oct rolls off soo fast you can hear where the xover is.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2013 Fiesta, Stock Sync HU |AC LC2i | Phoenix Gold EQ215i | Soundstream SA120 -> ID CD1eMH | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> ID X65 | JL 500/1 -> (2) 15" Pyle PL1590BL in IB
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013   #92

DIYMA Novice

Nice!! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-27-2013   #93

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 crosed will become famous soon enoughcrosed will become famous soon enoughcrosed will become famous soon enoughcrosed will become famous soon enoughcrosed will become famous soon enoughcrosed will become famous soon enough

its really nice information..
im noob..
trying to understand this for a month..
now i understand because this post..thx so much
crosed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014   #94

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 42 hykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enough

boy this thread has so much info that I am now so overwhelmed from this great info

I have been struggling with tuning my alpine HU

This is my current setup:

1- Alpine 134BT Head unit
2- JBL msa1004 connected to 4 focal k2p speakers 5.25 inches
3- Rockford prime fosgate amp 150rms, connected to the pioneer sub 1400watts

Now from some forum users they told me to set the filters on the JBL to off and use the HPF and LPF on my HU

So this is what I did I set the LPF to 60 and Hpf to 80 on my HU

On my rockford amp I also put LPF to 60 hz

Now my biggest issue is setting the parametric eq with the alpine

The alpine has the following settings

MIDS:

Setting the Mid Bandwidth (WIDTH (Q)) bandwidth.
WIDE 0.75  MEDIUM 1.00  MEDIUM 1.25  NARROW 1.50
(Initial setting)

 Setting the Mid Centre Frequency (CENTER FRQ)

500 (Hz)  1.0k (Hz) (Initial setting)  1.5k (Hz)  2.5k (Hz)

BASS:

Setting the Bass Bandwidth (WIDTH (Q))

WIDE 0.50  MEDIUM 1.00  MEDIUM 1.50 (Initial setting) 
NARROW 2.00

centre frequency.
 Setting the Bass Centre Frequency (CENTER FRQ)

60 (Hz)  80 (Hz)  100 (Hz) (Initial setting)  120 (Hz)

Trebele:

Setting the Treble Bandwidth (WIDTH (Q))

WIDE 0.75  NARROW 1.25 (Initial setting)
 Setting the Treble Centre Frequency (CENTER FRQ)

7.5K (Hz)  10.0K (Hz) (Initial setting)  12.5K (Hz)  15.0K (Hz)
 Setting the

Can someone with knowledge help me what is the best setting for my setup as I am so frustrated with the sound I get from my set up

Note on the crossovers of the focal the setting is high, and 0db
hykhleif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014   #95
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 44 Extended Power will become famous soon enoughExtended Power will become famous soon enoughExtended Power will become famous soon enoughExtended Power will become famous soon enoughExtended Power will become famous soon enoughExtended Power will become famous soon enoughExtended Power will become famous soon enough

Excellent information.
Posting just so I can find it again!
Extended Power is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014   #96

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 31 r000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enoughr000z will become famous soon enough

my brraaiiiinnnn hurtssss
r000z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement