aperiodic vent baffle how to - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009   #1

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
perfection plus
Position:
fabricator/painter

Rep Power: 97 spmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enough

Default aperiodic vent baffle how to

DSC_2016.JPG
step 1 : apply 2 medium coats of f/g resin with crushed up matting to baffle allow 1st coat of f/g resin to get tacky then apply second coat.for this install i used a 5:1 f/g resin to bondo mixture

DSC_2022.JPG
step2: measure baffle to proper depth ,i.e. these are used for door applications,so measure your mounting depth with the window down cut baffle to length

DSC_2024.JPG
step 3 cut carpet ,should be medium dense fiber carpet (like speaker box carpet) to about 1/8" bigger than the hole you cut in the baffle. hot glue it to the baffle and you have this:

DSC_2026.JPG
aperiodic vent enclosure!!!! these things worked great for my dedicated mid bass project in my doors .total cost about $30.00,hope it helps
spmpdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 inoii will become famous soon enoughinoii will become famous soon enoughinoii will become famous soon enoughinoii will become famous soon enoughinoii will become famous soon enoughinoii will become famous soon enough

Default Re: aperiodic vent baffle how to

hmm interesting does it affect the midbass? seems like it limits the air space?
inoii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009   #3

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
perfection plus
Position:
fabricator/painter

Rep Power: 97 spmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoii View Post
hmm interesting does it affect the midbass? seems like it limits the air space?

It made my peerless sls 6.5"s alot more tight and punchy sounding when they were in the doors i/b they had alot of resignation. I guess its just how you prefer your mid bass

Old 12-23-2009   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 100 jbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enough

You are limiting your ability to tune the vent using carpet as your resistive layer. You would get better results glassing a ring into the back with mesh (could use some Parts Express mesh grills of the appropriate size) ad fiberglass insulation (this is your resistive membrane) and another grill on the side that faces into the door or kick-making a sandwich. This way you can tune the membrane (mechanically) by adding/removing material and/or by compressing/decompressing material (resistive layer). By adding/removing material you are adjusting the impedance of the driver over a given set of frequencies. You will never get it perfectly flat, but you will be able to flatten it out quite a bit. I have posted tuning instructions for this on the board.
jbholsters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009   #5

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

One word: water.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

plenty of tutorials on aperiodic membranes. [ adjusting the fill, etc.., ], measuring the impedance w/pics.

Then EQing it to get back what you gave up to make it the way it sounds best!
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009   #7

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

^ true.

A woofer tester from parts express is a very valuable tool for AP enclosures, to measure impedance. Doing it manually with test tones, a DMM, and excel sucks.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 165 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Roughly speaking, how restrictive should these layers be? I am going to do 8" midbass and I will certainly be interested in doing something like that instead of IB/sealing...
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 144 03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough

Use fiberglass insulation instead. Easier to tune. Start with one sheet and either add or remove from there based on measuring impedance. This is exactly what I plan to do when I install my Scan 18Ws in the doors. They are more suited to ported than anything else and model like they would work well in AP.
03blueSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009   #10

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
perfection plus
Position:
fabricator/painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbholsters View Post
You are limiting your ability to tune the vent using carpet as your resistive layer. You would get better results glassing a ring into the back with mesh (could use some Parts Express mesh grills of the appropriate size) ad fiberglass insulation (this is your resistive membrane) and another grill on the side that faces into the door or kick-making a sandwich. This way you can tune the membrane (mechanically) by adding/removing material and/or by compressing/decompressing material (resistive layer). By adding/removing material you are adjusting the impedance of the driver over a given set of frequencies. You will never get it perfectly flat, but you will be able to flatten it out quite a bit. I have posted tuning instructions for this on the board.
good idea, next time i have my door panels off i think ill try that
Old 12-24-2009   #11

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 100 jbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
^ true.

A woofer tester from parts express is a very valuable tool for AP enclosures, to measure impedance. Doing it manually with test tones, a DMM, and excel sucks.
You can also run a sweep with a pc based program as well. There are several free ones that work very well.
Old 12-24-2009   #12

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03blueSI View Post
Use fiberglass insulation instead. Easier to tune.
I mentioned using fiberglass insulation. Actually thin pieces of duct board or thin pieces of Rmax work even better as you don't have to be concerned with the compression, only thickness. When I was an installer for a living I built lots of AP enclosures with this stuff.
Old 12-25-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 144 03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough03blueSI will become famous soon enough

Thanks. I'll have to give it a try.
03blueSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

I just tried something similar, but with PVC adapters + old socks + polyfill.

I wanted something easy to fill/unfill from inside.
Well I still have to remove the driver, but then I have direct access.

So far I just measured 3 states:
- driver free air
- driver in enclosure, but not in door, hole open just behind the driver
- driver in enclosure, but not in door, hole filled (not maximum possible but closed, but still pretty easy to blow through)

Now the enclosures are in doors so I'll make some more measurements.
I could try something much more blocking like glass/rock insulation.
Or even one of the standard AP from PE/scanspeak etc.
Do you think I'm on the right path?

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 beak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enough

What a great creative solution!

2013 Camaro SS/RS - Kenwood DDX9903S - Arc Audio PS-8/PSC - Mmats HiFi 6150D - Helix SPXL1000 -Audiofrog GB12D4(2), GB60, GB25, GB10
beak81champ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
What a great creative solution!
Thanks beak81champ!
It works well, I didn't change anything for a week and didn't find anything strange like before with the too small boxes.
I'll measure more today, but guys do you know what kind of impedance curve I should try to reach?
Like flatter and smooth as possible, or just minimizing both peaks?

Horny Froggy...
Old 09-11-2016   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 131 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

I suggest you lower the primary impedance peak as much as possible without raisng the minimum impedance above and below that peak.
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Ok will try that, thanks very much Eric!

Horny Froggy...
Old 11-20-2016   #19

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Dark side of the moon.
Position:
Installation manager

Rep Power: 0 Joe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enoughJoe r will become famous soon enough

Amazing idea. Something I will be trying out.
Joe r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement