Making RCA Cables - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007   #26

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Richard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Making RCA Cables

Did I say something wrong? If it was my reference to RS it was not intended to criticize their products. Only that they don't carry the cable. Maybe I'm the one who's unbalanced and should review the 'rules.'
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 917 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Many (most) here agree that a cable must have the physical attributes to make it noise free (free from microphonics in high impedance situations) But saying cable A of decent quality sounds different than cable B of higher price can cause an uproar at times

I think we can all agree that not many of us visit radio shack

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 154 DonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DonutHands

i wish i knew of a electronics supply around my area. i hate radio shack and Frys and i hate online ordering.
DonutHands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007   #29

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 134 thatvan will become famous soon enoughthatvan will become famous soon enoughthatvan will become famous soon enoughthatvan will become famous soon enoughthatvan will become famous soon enoughthatvan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by internecine View Post
i wish i knew of a electronics supply around my area. i hate radio shack and Frys and i hate online ordering.
Try Electronics City in Burbank. I believe they have a website as well.
thatvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 149 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

Would Home Depot/Lowes carry cable like that? What is the cable considered anyway? Audio cable?

Edit: Did anyone also realize that Chuck Norris does their live chat support?
solacedagony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007   #31

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Richard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enough

I had feeling my statement might stir the pot, being well aware of the discussion around cable quality. On the other hand, if you've ever used a studio microphone - not a stage model - and compared cables while recording digitally you will likely hear the difference. In other words, your cables, including those for the speakers, should match the quality of your components while you keep a skeptical eye out for manufacturer's hype. It seems to me that's why the popular car audio cable manufacturers offer three lines. Ferrari owners don't shop at Canadian Tire for their rubber.

Home Depot will not carry the cable. If there's no electronics outlet nearby try a major music store because many musicians make their own mic and guitar cables.

On that 'note', if anybody knows Bruce tell him I'd love to audition on keyboards for the E Street Band. Just one of my fantasies.

Last edited by Richard; 03-29-2007 at 03:55 PM..
Old 03-29-2007   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 khail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I had feeling my statement might stir the pot, being well aware of the discussion around cable quality. On the other hand, if you've ever used a studio microphone - not a stage model - and compared cables while recording digitally you will likely hear the difference. In other words, your cables, including those for the speakers, should match the quality of your components while you keep a skeptical eye out for manufacturer's hype. It seems to me that's why the popular car audio cable manufacturers offer three lines. Ferrari owners don't shop at Canadian Tire for their rubber.
It's not so much that the cable quality might make a difference in sound reproduction. Whether it does or not I feel is totally dependent on the listener, since everyone's ears are different. The real question is can you hear the difference over all of the other noise present in a vehicle? A car is a far cry from a recording studio, and spending a crapload of money on patch cables usually doesn't gain you much. At least in my admittedly limited experience.

Alpine 7998*Phass MW160*Clarion APA4320*Peerless 2"*Seas Neo*Next VRz4.400*OZ ME12*PG x400.1

Premier 860MP*PG Zeropoint ZCS6*Pioneer SW-2541D*Sony ES XM-5046
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 917 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

We have over a million dollars of inventory of Neumann alone, vintage and new.... This number doesnot include the Schoeps, DPA, Sennheiser, etc. We use Canare, nothing esoteric, and have made well regarded world class recordings.

In fact we did play with cabling when auditioning mic preamps, we found the preamp we liked (Millennia HV3c that time) and compared Canare to a rather expensive snake oil cable.... no difference was heard from any of the engineers.

Take it as you may.

Dissect a studio monitor and tell me what kind of speaker wire they use inside.

Tannoy, JBL, Meyer, Genelec, others... NONE advertise the cable that their monitors are wired with internally.

I would also like to add the the Ferrari probably uses the same type of copper wire my Honda has for it's internal wiring, maybe even the same composition in the spark plug wires. Metallurgy wise, many of the same metals thru and thru.

Comparing tires on a car in terms of quality is the same as comparing speaker components BIG difference between Seas and Goldwood. Same with Farm and fleet tires VS high end Pirelli's. Wire is wire as long as it's of good build quality.

Chad

Quote:

Last edited by chad; 03-29-2007 at 07:14 PM..
Old 03-29-2007   #34

DIYMA freshman

My reference to the tires is called an analogy. Curious to know why you're critical of the wires in your speaker cabinets. Did you find something inferior about its' metallurgy? Still, I'm glad we all agree on Canare and the importance of scrutinizing the hype. If or when you get a Ferrari let us know where you buy your replacement tires.

Last edited by Richard; 03-29-2007 at 11:32 PM..
Old 03-29-2007   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 154 DonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DonutHands

Umm, your analogy is just an analogy. Doesn't mean its right.

Chad brought up the point about the speaker cabinets because if you go open one up, what will you find? 100% pure silver braid in teflon tube? no, plain ole copper wire. you will find this in bust buy speakers and in audiophile grade. why? because apples to apples, wire is wire.
DonutHands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2007   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 149 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

Any difference between foil shielding and braid shielding?
Old 03-30-2007   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Foil is 100% but not durable, fine in a car though. Braided is designed to flex and hold up to abuse but not 100% coverage.

Willyou hear a difference? Probably not unless you toss it under a large radio transmitter. Will you notice a difference in your wallet? Yep! A high quality cable with foil shield is 1/3 the price of a high quality cable with braided. (Comparing Gepco 61801EZ to Canare and other star quads.)

Chad

Quote:
Old 03-30-2007   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Quote:
Curious to know why you're critical of the wires in your speaker cabinets. Did you find something inferior about its' metallurgy?
Nope, I said that because you are concerned with the speaker cable outside the cab.

Quote:
Still, I'm glad we all agree on Canare and the importance of scrutinizing the hype.
I think we are almost on the same page here, I don't consider Canare as an esoteric cable, it's a damn fine wrkhorse cable with great properties that allow easy winding, durability, and constructed in a way that inhibits self noise due to vibration.

Quote:
If or when you get a Ferrari let us know where you buy your replacement tires.

I think the Ferarri is a beautiful vehicle and if I owned one you would hear my ass cheeks clapping in Canada I AM shopping for a vehicle fo that "drive on a weekend" status. Used Ferarri's were not out of the question, along with Porsche and others. I have pretty much made up my mind to do 1 of 3 things. Mid 80's vette, heavily built in the engine department. Classic 60's muscle restored but modernized. Or an old Gangster car, chopped, rolled, and hot-rod cool. It's more my style. It's also something I can enjoy working on with my kid. A Fererri or foreign exotic would be VERY cool but I kinda want something to tinker with at the same time. I'd just end up looking at a Ferarri 5 days a week and driving it on the weekend, I wanna put the hood up

Chad

Quote:
Old 03-30-2007   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

They consider this guitar cable. Don't you need two conductors for any signal wiring (RCA/guitar/etc)? There's only one. Is the shield used as ground?
Old 03-30-2007   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

The 61801 is a dream to work with, just score the outer jacket, snap it in 2 directions and pull, the foil comes with and you are left with a red, black, and drain wire. Just good stuff. I use it in a transmitter shack with all the transmitters under 50KW FM bays and next to a 3KW AM skirt antenna and never have RFI issues.

Just use the shield as ground/drain on the gee-tar cable, that's how it's used That cable is good to use if it's quality guitar cable because in guitar situations you have to deal with the "microphonics" that I was talking about earlier. Guitar players will attest to the fact that in high gain situations the shittiness of a cable really shines when you wiggle it on the floor and you hear crackling sounds, the worst ones you can flick with your finger and it sounds like someone is knocking on a door

Chad

Quote:
Old 03-30-2007   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

But it's not advisable to do the same thing with RCAs? You want the separate signal, ground and shield?
Old 06-27-2007   #42

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 andyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enough

Hi guys,

Just been reading some of the DIY RCA Cable threads, and thought about making my own.

With regards the cable itself, I have got access to rather a large quantity of the following cable at work, and I was wondering if it would be suitable for making RCA's from.....

http://www.weisd.com/store2/BEL9269%20010U1000B.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy
andyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007   #43

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 andyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enoughandyj will become famous soon enough

Hi guys,

Just been reading some of the DIY RCA Cable threads, and thought about making my own.

With regards the cable itself, I have got access to rather a large quantity of the following cable at work, Belden 9269, and I was wondering if it would be suitable for making RCA's from?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-27-2007   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj View Post
Hi guys,

With regards the cable itself, I have got access to rather a large quantity of the following cable at work, Belden 9269, and I was wondering if it would be suitable for making RCA's from?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy
It wold work fine.... BTW.... What are you using 93 ohm cable at work for?

Quote:
Old 06-27-2007   #45

DIYMA freshman

Hi Chad,

Thanks for confirming that it will be ok to use

We use the 93 Ohm cable for networking some of the test equipment we use in our manufacturing facility. Apparently it's quite unique...

Saying that, I think we've got somewhere in the region of 20,000 feet of it in boxes in one of the store rooms, which hasn't been used for over 5 years !!

Andy
Old 06-27-2007   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

I think it's safe to say that some of it won't be missed

Quote:
Old 06-27-2007   #47

DIYMA freshman

My thoughts precisely

Just need to find some nice connectors now, and get some cables made up.

Have found a supplier of braided sheathing, similair to Techflex, and heatshrink, so I'm sorted now.

Andy
Old 08-01-2007   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 138 illnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19 View Post
I'd like to know this as well. Is doubling up necessary?

Partsexpress has some decent looking ones in that price range.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....up_ID=125&SO=2

These P3 ones look pretty good, $10 for 4 of them.

i'm still stuck on what RCA's to get.... my car stero is going to have around 30 RCA connections... and @ 2 bucks a piece...thats almost as much as I spent on the wire

anyone know of a good bulk offer or anything? I just cant see spending that much JUST on RCA CONNECTORS...
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007   #49
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 189 Rudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza View Post
i'm still stuck on what RCA's to get.... my car stero is going to have around 30 RCA connections... and @ 2 bucks a piece...thats almost as much as I spent on the wire

anyone know of a good bulk offer or anything? I just cant see spending that much JUST on RCA CONNECTORS...
Hot Deals link to Streetwires connectors on eBay. Still had some 2 days ago when I looked.

Rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
Hot Deals link to Streetwires connectors on eBay. Still had some 2 days ago when I looked.
I just bought a 50 pack of these and I only need 20. I could send you the other 30 for $15 shipped.

Back from hiatus....

Last edited by 02bluesuperroo; 08-02-2007 at 08:05 AM..
02bluesuperroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement