Making RCA Cables - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007   #51
MrH

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 134 MrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Making RCA Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02bluesuperroo View Post
I just bought a 50 pack of these and I only need 20. I could send you the other 30 for $15 shipped.

Are these still up for grabs?
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 139 02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough02bluesuperroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH View Post
Are these still up for grabs?
I decided to keep them until my install is done and I find out how many I ruin.

I will post up when/if I have leftovers. It should be within the next week or so.

Back from hiatus....
02bluesuperroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 203 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Check out these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

I just bought them on Egay and the seller has a couple more sets. Look very nice, IMO.

Good feedback, good communication, I got a shipping notice less than an hour after I paid. Now I gotta find the right cable, sleeving and shrinkwrap.

<sigh>

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/Anarchy/JBL W15GTix3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 203 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Could I use that 4-channel Gepco cable to make a stereo RCA that has 2 inputs and 4 outputs? Essentially avoiding the need for a Y-splitter, since I'm gonna have 2 subwoofer amps? Or would I be better off just running into one amp and then from the outputs to the next sub amp?

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
Old 09-20-2007   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Richard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enough

Based on the e-bay photos, albeit limited in scope, I'm left with the impression the RCA's are garbage "gold plated" connectors. Note that the seller did not include any closeups. I saw these connectors at the local supply house for dirt cheap and, in my opinion, were not worth my time and effort, especially since I wanted to upgrade. I believe the best entry level RCA connector for the dollar are the cheaper Neutriks. Next best connector without getting sucked into the hype? The more expensive Neutriks, of course. I have also been extremely pleased (and surprised) with the results from Belden's Star Quad cable. Glad to see your initiative in building your own interconnects. You will save a bundle of money, be absolutely sure about what's inside, and optimize your system - all at the same time.

Richard (Calgary)
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007   #56
MrH

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 134 MrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRdoc View Post
Check out these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

I just bought them on Egay and the seller has a couple more sets. Look very nice, IMO.

Good feedback, good communication, I got a shipping notice less than an hour after I paid. Now I gotta find the right cable, sleeving and shrinkwrap.

<sigh>
"We'll' try to send 12 red striped and 12 black striped ones."

LMAO At least they'll try. What more could you ask for in customer service.
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007   #57

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 129 dtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enough

There is a seller on ebay selling Streetwire ZN-5 ends in 20 packs now instead of the 50 packs. Only 9.95 + 3.95 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us
dtviewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Richard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enoughRichard will become famous soon enough

Very high quality connectors at an excellent price. Buy them.
Old 09-20-2007   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 914 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Based on the e-bay photos, albeit limited in scope, I'm left with the impression the RCA's are garbage "gold plated" connectors. Note that the seller did not include any closeups. I saw these connectors at the local supply house for dirt cheap and, in my opinion, were not worth my time and effort, especially since I wanted to upgrade. I believe the best entry level RCA connector for the dollar are the cheaper Neutriks. Next best connector without getting sucked into the hype? The more expensive Neutriks, of course. I have also been extremely pleased (and surprised) with the results from Belden's Star Quad cable. Glad to see your initiative in building your own interconnects. You will save a bundle of money, be absolutely sure about what's inside, and optimize your system - all at the same time.

Richard (Calgary)
Yep. the "Dollar Neutriks" from many suppliers are killer, I can post pics tomorrow. I think they are a buck, can't remember the model number... maybe 121's? Dammit, rambling....

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 914 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=11&sort=prod

Them..... Them kick ass.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2007   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 135 illnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
link didn't work ... what are they called ??
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007   #62

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 125 xcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to xcoldricex

Neutrik NF2CB RCA Professional RCA Plugs perhaps?

oh those are a bit more than a dollar. haha, but they look bad ass!

Neutrik RCA Plug with Gold Contacts?

Last edited by xcoldricex; 09-22-2007 at 10:40 PM..
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007   #63

Rep Power: 243 ca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond repute

These
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=092-112

or these
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=092-110
ca90ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2007   #64

DIYMA freshman

My suggestion? Spend the few extra dollars, buy the Neutrik Profi (spring loaded, well isolated, 2 per package), as pictured below, and don't get obsessive over the issue. If your system doesn't consist of high end components, you probably won't hear any difference anyway. However, if you Build quality cables now (e.g. Canare Starquad and Neutrik Profi) you won't have to upgrade later and feel assured you've covered the interconnect issue thoroughly. I'm sure you've leaned that you get what you pay for (within limits). I tip my hat at your initiative.

Richard
Old 09-23-2007   #65

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 125 xcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enough

plus they're reusable right? need longer cables? desolder and make new ones!
Old 09-23-2007   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 137 Fixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura about

"Quality" cables are a marketing scheme, which apparently you've all bought into. What makes "quality" is if the AWG is sufficent to the current drawn through the wire.

Even comparing cooper to oxygen-free copper has it's difference, but so minute you can not even tell. The Wire will last longer, however it's not justifible to spend all this money on wires.

If you really want to spend money on wire, buy Wire rated on it's ability to keep signal in extreme temperatures we see in the car/trunk. 145 to 175 degree F. You're looking at THWN wire they use for running eletricity to residential. Sticking all these "quality" wires in conduit and wraps insulates all that heat and degrades the "quality" of which you've purchased.

Meh, sorry. To each his own. That's just my rant on all threads that go into spending so much money on wires and connectors. Solder you ends, or get non corrosive connectors, that's it.

-Fixtion

2011 Hyundai Elantra AMT
STOCK
Fixtion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2007   #67

DIYMA Novice

i don't think anyone in this thread is pushing high end cable...
Old 09-24-2007   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Not at all, quite the contrary. I think Fixtion misunderstood something here, or perhaps didn't actually read the whole thread.

On this board, "quality" cables it seems usually used to describe the physical durability of cables, not in terms of the "Monster cable"-type stuff.

For that stuff, go check out the home theater boards where all the voodoo hype is accepted as gospel, about how some cables sound 'warm' or other such nonsense.

Old 09-24-2007   #69

DIYMA freshman

I am pleased to announce the creation of three one-meter very high-quality video component cables for $23.00 using the mid-priced Neutriks.....hand-built in Calgary by moi. I can't wait 'till this discussion extends into HDMI cables.

Richard
Old 09-24-2007   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex View Post
Neutrik RCA Plug with Gold Contacts?

That's the one, the strain relief is not pictured.

Here's the real-life pics:

You want to put a bit of shrink on the thinner Wire for the chuck to bite into, that's the only issue I found. They are tough as nails!

Chad

Quote:
Old 09-24-2007   #71

DIYMA Novice

neutrik's a chinese company? wonder how cheap they are in china.
Old 09-24-2007   #72

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 119 mach999 will become famous soon enoughmach999 will become famous soon enoughmach999 will become famous soon enoughmach999 will become famous soon enoughmach999 will become famous soon enoughmach999 will become famous soon enough

I've been on a buying spree lately with regards to rca's. I have some of those Neutriks and they are pretty nice. I use the 61801EZ and with some techflex and heatshrink it forms a fairly secure connection. I picked up some these from partsexpress and I really like them so far.

I should be getting a package today with what looks to be some solid rca plugs. I'll take pics later of them later.
mach999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007   #73

DIYMA freshman

As my son would say, "sweet."
Old 09-24-2007   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 135 illnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enoughillnastyimpreza will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I am pleased to announce the creation of three one-meter very high-quality video component cables for $23.00 using the mid-priced Neutriks.....hand-built in Calgary by moi. I can't wait 'till this discussion extends into HDMI cables.

Richard
How is your standard HDMI cable made up of ?
illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007   #75

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 129 dtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enough

I'm about to make my own RCA cables, but have a few questions before I order everything.
I am picking up the 20 pack of streetwires RCA ends. I was looking at this for my wire. Would it be ok?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-246

Then for techflex, should I use 1/8th inch or 1/4 inch? (I would like to use the techflex to cover my Speaker wires also, but can buy different techflex for that)

Last question (for now anyway!!) what size heatshrink should I get? They sell 3mm or 6mm 3-1.

Thanks for any help!!!
dtviewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement