Making RCA Cables - Page 34 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013   #826

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 54 Jfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enoughJfreak will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Making RCA Cables

So my plan, drain connected at HU side, not at dsp input side. Drain connected to the dsp output side, not at amp side. Correct?

Sorry for the noob questions, first time making rcas.
Jfreak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013   #827
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 108 trevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enough

That sounds right.

-Trevor
trevordj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #828
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 bbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I have the 26 pair.. the jacket feels so cool. Heavy as hell but wraps great.
Prosound Nerd alert! You wrap over/under?

Seeing your FOH rack, I finally realize what it is you do, or at least some of what you do, haha. Nice.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #829
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 913 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

LOL both

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Been out of live sound for a while, still have all my shit though.. Work has been forcing me into another direction other than audio but I'm resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #830
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 108 trevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
LOL both

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Well, I learned something today, that's awesome

-Trevor
trevordj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #831

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 emperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enough

damn its pretty sad i forgot that. i wanna say thats how i was taught to roll cable because i remember having to "twist" the Wire with ur other hand but its been so long i have no idea
emperorjj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #832
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 913 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

You don't want to lay an actual twist in the wire, you should be able to hold one end and toss the Wire where it should go and it will lay flat... Presumably the female end so you can toss it at the snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013   #833

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 89 Deadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enough

EDIT: Okay so I can grab a few items from Redco and get to soldering, I guess.

Gepco 61801 EZ Cable
Neutrik NYS 352G Connectors
1/8" Techflex
Heatshrink (what size?)

Anything else?

And, very importantly, I need a few Y cables. What's different about making those? I'm just digging into this thread so please forgive me if this has been answered.

2013 Subaru BRZ
Build Underway

Last edited by Deadpool_25; 07-10-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013   #834

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Lateralis will become famous soon enoughLateralis will become famous soon enoughLateralis will become famous soon enoughLateralis will become famous soon enoughLateralis will become famous soon enoughLateralis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool_25 View Post
EDIT: Okay so I can grab a few items from Redco and get to soldering, I guess.

Gepco 61801 EZ Cable
Neutrik NYS 352G Connectors
1/8" Techflex
Heatshrink (what size?)

Anything else?

And, very importantly, I need a few Y cables. What's different about making those? I'm just digging into this thread so please forgive me if this has been answered.
You are probably going to want to pick up the Y-Pants boot covers. Y-splitter is straight forward: Drain wires to drain wires, Black wires to black wires, and red wires to red wires.... Just make sure that you insulate each set of solder conections so that they don't touch. Slip on you Y-pants and you're ready to solder the lines on to some rca's.
Lateralis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013   #835

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 89 Deadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enoughDeadpool_25 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralis View Post
You are probably going to want to pick up the Y-Pants boot covers. Y-splitter is straight forward: Drain wires to drain wires, Black wires to black wires, and red wires to red wires.... Just make sure that you insulate each set of solder conections so that they don't touch. Slip on you Y-pants and you're ready to solder the lines on to some rca's.
Sounds good. I'll grab some of those. Thanks.

2013 Subaru BRZ
Build Underway
Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013   #836

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 EditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enough

I want to make:

Stereo mini plug (male 3.5mm)------->stereo RCAs

So, with this stereo mini plug connector, what cable would be good to use to go to (2) Rean(Neutrik) NYS373 connectors?

I'm using Gepco EZ Wire for the rest of my interconnects.

Double up on the EZ cable? Star quad cable? Something else? What makes the most sense?

EDIT: This Gepco cable?

EditTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013   #837
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 57 vwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enough

Sorry to bring this back up but I wanted to add my contributions. For strain relief I used pharmed tubing. Put heat shrink over that, soldered on my plugs, heat shrink again, then screwed on the ends.

Not done yet but it will be a 6 channel cable when done. Without the pharmed tubing the wires were too thin to use the set screw and it didn't feel right. I lucked out that the tubing that I had for work was the right size internally and externally for my application.

2013 Camry Hybrid
Pioneer AVH-x5800BHS, Dynaudio MD-100 tweeters, Dynaudio MW160 mids, Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (highs), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (mids), Crystal CMP12, Phoenix gold ti2 2000.1 (sub)
vwdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013   #838
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 Jaloosk will become famous soon enoughJaloosk will become famous soon enoughJaloosk will become famous soon enoughJaloosk will become famous soon enoughJaloosk will become famous soon enoughJaloosk will become famous soon enough

Thanks for bumping this Dave...I forgot to add the ones I made using this tutorial too:

I made one, but made a couple of noob mistakes, so then I made two more. Tested them on my home system and they work great, plus I love the way they look.

Jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013   #839
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 57 vwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enoughvwdave will become famous soon enough

Yours look great. I wish I had a home system to test mine on but I gave away my home theatre to my brother in law. Best gaming surround sound system ever now.

2013 Camry Hybrid
Pioneer AVH-x5800BHS, Dynaudio MD-100 tweeters, Dynaudio MW160 mids, Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (highs), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (mids), Crystal CMP12, Phoenix gold ti2 2000.1 (sub)
vwdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2016   #840

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 leepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enough

This may seem like a really dumb question, but can I use Stinger 5 conductor Speedwire to make my RCA's? I know there is really zero shielding but would it work? I already got some Gepco 61801EZ Wire for my RCA's but I got an awesome deal on 100' of the Speedwire ($19.99 a roll). I'm just curious. Thanks all!!

Dual Alpine HU's, Alpine KCA-410C & PPI DSP-88R, PG TLD 66, 2 Audiocontrol EQL's & 2 4XS xovers, Epicenter, 2 PylePro PDN8's & Dayton RS52AN-8 per door, Dayton 4” & Tweet in Pillars, 2 MBQ 15's. Alpine MRP-F600 x2, MRP-M1000 x2 & MRP-M2000 x2.
leepersc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016   #841

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 emperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enough

you could use it yes, will i sound ok? who knows
Old 12-16-2016   #842

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 leepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enoughleepersc will become famous soon enough

I'm kinda looking for someone whom has experience using this type of Wire as an RCA cable.

Dual Alpine HU's, Alpine KCA-410C & PPI DSP-88R, PG TLD 66, 2 Audiocontrol EQL's & 2 4XS xovers, Epicenter, 2 PylePro PDN8's & Dayton RS52AN-8 per door, Dayton 4” & Tweet in Pillars, 2 MBQ 15's. Alpine MRP-F600 x2, MRP-M1000 x2 & MRP-M2000 x2.

Last edited by leepersc; 12-17-2016 at 01:47 AM..
Old 12-16-2016   #843
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 270 Onyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepersc View Post
This may seem like a really dumb question, but can I use Stinger 5 conductor Speedwire to make my RCA's? I know there is really zero shielding but would it work? I already got some Gepco 61801EZ Wire for my RCA's but I got an awesome deal on 100' of the Speedwire ($19.99 a roll). I'm just curious. Thanks all!!
You can use it, but it's not an ideal solution. Speed Wire is just a bunch of 18g remote wire bundled together in a common jacket. There's no outer braided conductor to function as a shield for noise rejection, so the potential for induced noise is much higher.

This falls in the category of something you can do, but probably shouldn't.
Onyx1136 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016   #844

DIYMA Novice

Thank you, Onyx!! I was thinking the same but was hopeful. I'll stick to the Gepco & Canare Wire instead.

Old 12-16-2016   #845

DIYMA Regular

ouch that hurts apparently my opinion isnt educated. good thing i quit my day job (working at a shop)
Old 12-17-2016   #846

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorjj1 View Post
ouch that hurts apparently my opinion isnt educated. good thing i quit my day job (working at a shop)
You and onyx said the same thing. The shorter route isn't always well Recieved though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2016   #847

DIYMA Novice

HA, HA, guys! Sorry Emperor, I did not mean to insinuate that your info wasn't educated. To be honest, I hadn't even seen your post when I typed what I typed. Seeing it now, thank you for your help. All of this info sounds pretty damned educated to me! Also, short and sweet is the only way I prefer to garner info/experience!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement