LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 126 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Alpine SWR-823D GAME OVER!!!

I have been a fanatic of 8" subs for a LONG time. I have used countless over the years. From the kicker solo 8s (yinyang) SS velvets, Quarts, Focal, JBL, ED, Boston, ID, Crystal, etc.......
Some of the newer ones I have not used, sundown, and a few others.

The box-
I had a 1.3 cuft ported box to 30hz (was supposed to be higher but I made a gramatical error) already made (center console) for my Boston Acoustics G5 10" single 4ohm. I just put a new baffle over the old one for the two eights. I did this for two reasons, one is that I hurt my back real bad and have been in a ton of pain/bed rest but had to take a break, and two I assumed that I would want to build a better more permanent box for the 8s (or so I was hoping This is a downfiring box with the port aiming at the dash.

Power-
I have a Boston Acoustics GT2200 running a 2ohm load with the two subs pushing a (in my opinion a perfect match) 900 watts. I love these Boston amps.... Small, clean, and extremely powerfull amps!

The rest of the system right now consists of a Mcintosh 425 on the tweets and 427 on the mids (2x50 and 2x100) running biamped through the passives that came with the system. The components are Boston Acoustic SPZ60's with the mids in the doors and tweets in the apillars. Source is from a Kenwood DNX8120.
I listen to a WIDE variety of music and the source materials for the test were mostly all cd/dvd with a little ipod for the sake of ease.

When I get a new box put in I will really focus on individual tracks with notes and scores based on my opinion and nothing more!

Here are just some quick notes about response, both low and high, as well as impact, overall spl, articulation, just first impressions and its ability to get nasty and ability to blend.
I will start off by saying this (for those that dont want to read to much of my crap....dont blame you
These are the absolute best 8" subs I have ever been around in my life.
Are they the loudest? NO, I am sure the DD or L7 could take that clame to fame, or something in that realm.
Are they the absolute best sounding? I cant say for sure. I found the ED 9kv.2 some of the most musical subs I have used (in any size).

Now the Alpines....... They are as loud as I will ever need/want and some how maintain accuracy, and articulation across the board, be it low low freq. up to the 100's (which in my box is a stretch to say the least). I couldnt get them to distort or sound muddy, snap crackle pop, etc.... Makes me wonder...and makes me very intrigued to see what they can really handle and how much more the can put out? Cant imagine more!

They were as detailed and transparent on acoustic material as any sub I have ever used. The note are there but should never be over powering or something that can be picked out...its an extension of the rest of the music (at least with the material I was using) and these two 8s were amazing in this realm. Which to be honest I kind of expected and this was the first music I was listening to so I instantly started to wonder about the total output capabilities....My thoughts were cured shortly there after
On live tracks with some pretty fast and all over the place drum solos (dave mathews dvd....carter is INSANE!) it was a whole lot more of the same....It blended with the mids like it was part of a 3way system but when it came time to hit....HOLY HELL it hit. I was shocked....in a good way!
Well I went through several other songs from clapton to zac brown and it was just amusing. I couldnt resist...I had to throw in some old school stuff to see what they could do and to tame the old school bass head in me (mid 90s and through in some snoop, dre, warren g, etc.... Regulate from Wg was GREAT
To me these woofers are like the w7 made love to a dyn md190 and this was the love child! Its really the best of all worlds in one package. You could really rock someones world with 3-4 of these in a ported enclosure. I would love to play with these in a sealed box. I bet they could be some really top of the line sq subs, not that they cant be top of the line sq subs in a ported box...when I am done I am sure my new box will really be ideal for these.
Whats amazing to me...and I know people say this all the time....YOU WOULD NEVER GUESS 8's if you heard them. Super low with authority, no break up, consistent volume across the frequencys allowed through them, and just shear volume with ease....
I think in a sealed box you could easily impliment them in 3way setups if you like ass beating midbass but will CLEARLY fit in just fine as your dedicate low end.... I have used most all the subs from the "great 8 challenge" and if it were to be done again....this is the new winner. My brother in law has the cmp8s installed now (even has an extra and I have also spent some serious time with them in my truck prior to him (not sure how it won anyway?). At this point I have no reason to change.....at least till someone else puts out the "next best thing" Seriously .... every 8" recommendation thread on here..... Just get the type R and get it over with! It does nothing wrong, has outstanding output and is as musical and impactful as any other sub on the market, can fit in TINY enclosures and can run on small amounts of power or huge amounts... Its a win win! I am officially on the alpine bandwagon! Hope the w910 and h800 are on par? I havent been singing alpines praises like this since like 2000?
THANK YOU JIM and the fine folks at ALPINE for this jem...I know it means nothing from a random no one like myself but you guys really hit this one out of the park IMO of course!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE NEW KING OF 8s
I will post pics later too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3325.jpg (61.4 KB, 916 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3326.jpg (56.2 KB, 953 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3327.jpg (62.0 KB, 968 views)

Last edited by rexroadj; 05-27-2011 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: add pics
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 153 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D GAME OVER!!!

Glad to hear. The new type rs seem to be taking a big jump in technology.

Im going to try the new shallow type r and do a review soon. Underhung design with shorting rings. Was told they sound even better than the full size from someone from alpine.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T500-1 - Oz Matrix Elite 10
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

Wow honestly your praise on these subs have me ready to stop waiting on a pair of anarchy 8" and drop a pair of these in my doors, in a sealed pod. Question Rex, with these subs, while playing Dr.Dre did you find yourself getting that tight snap and kick from the type r? I'm looking for a 4 ohm driver that has gobs output at 63hz-300hz or slightly higher. I don't wanna run out of clean output.

Pioneer premier prs800, peerless 830986, 2 spg555 subs. About to prove a point with low budget amps...no forum boner wither...
manish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 89 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

nice review!!
mmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Looking around my house for loose change so I can grab grab a pair!

Pioneer premier prs800, peerless 830986, 2 spg555 subs. About to prove a point with low budget amps...no forum boner wither...
Old 05-26-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Sounds good i think i'm going to run one ported myself since i only have about 300w available.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 117 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

As always, great review!

You have a way with words that makes me want to buy everything you review.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - HD750/1 - Integra 402 - 10BR60V2 - IB15A(2)
fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 126 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish View Post
Wow honestly your praise on these subs have me ready to stop waiting on a pair of anarchy 8" and drop a pair of these in my doors, in a sealed pod. Question Rex, with these subs, while playing Dr.Dre did you find yourself getting that tight snap and kick from the type r? I'm looking for a 4 ohm driver that has gobs output at 63hz-300hz or slightly higher. I don't wanna run out of clean output.
Yes...they certainly maintained the tightness during the music even when they were digging really deep. To me thats what really blew me away....it just doesnt seem to have flaws that certain 8"s, generally, at some point tend to show.
I suppose another way to describe these subs would be to say its like a gto or id8 on roids! We all know those are some excellent all around subs but at some point they are going to reach there limits and often times its less then what we were searching for, be it extreme low frequency extension (after all they are 8s...cut em some slack, having extreme impact at legit volumes... These dont share those downfalls. Jim and the boys really built a freak of nature.
Your going to run out of power before you run out of clean output I have no idea how they will do at 300 or higher.... Honestly nothing would surprise me but I think higher then 300 could be pushing the envelope, but again I have no idea.... If I had the time and patience I would build a sealed box because I really want to know how they do in that situation as well....
Maybe I will get motivated? Its hard because my wife is 8months pregnant and we have a 16month old running around added with my new found back issues... although getting much better quickly.
Old 05-27-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHemi57 View Post
Sounds good i think i'm going to run one ported myself since i only have about 300w available.
Sounds like a perfect fit!
Old 05-27-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
As always, great review!

You have a way with words that makes me want to buy everything you review.
Thank you, thats very kind. It also scares the shit out of me
I will say that I cant imagine someone not liking or being impressed by these babies!
Thanks again,
Old 05-27-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I just wanted to add a few more thoughts about these.
I really cant wait till some others get there hands on these and play around with them. I honestly feel like these are the end of the whole "which 8" thread. First off WHY ARE THERE SO MANY?????? They are all the exact same...I can only fit and 8, I only have .3ish cuft available and only have a few hundred watts.... Well now there is a simple answer...Type R 8. I also wouldnt hessitate to compete with a couple either. In the sq lanes I dont see someone loosing points with them thats for sure (granted its been a LONG time). I know there are going to be the usual Alpine haters or because its not the flagship line (type x) then its not the best offering. I have been guilty of both over the years and the last 5+ yrs I have really tried to make an honest attempt to let that mentallity go and its allowed me to really find some great stuff. The whole type R line up is amazing. I got to throw a 12 in my truck for a little while prior to the 8s being released just to get a taste of the line. For the money....good luck doing better! I would buy one in a heartbeat if I were in the 10-12-15" market.
So to those that are anti alpine for what ever the reason (I was as guilty as they come) your going to miss out on an amazing line of woofers that fit almost any need. Who cares if they are at every shop on the planet and anyone can get them. They would fit pretty much any scenerio so they should be everywhere.
I feel like its the mid/late 90's all over again. Someone get me an Alpine sticker quick
I am going to be playing with a w910 at the shop mid week next week and will try out the nav, bt, ipod, and I am also going to bring my 250g portable hard drive to see how/if it works. I really hope its a step up from the last few offerings (specifically the nav/bt). If so I may be putting it in next week as well, then I will just hold out for the h800.
Well, I am off to the lumber yard, I need some wood so I can get the new box build and put my center console back together ( I HATE THIS PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 05-27-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Yes...they certainly maintained the tightness during the music even when they were digging really deep. To me thats what really blew me away....it just doesnt seem to have flaws that certain 8"s, generally, at some point tend to show.
I suppose another way to describe these subs would be to say its like a gto or id8 on roids! We all know those are some excellent all around subs but at some point they are going to reach there limits and often times its less then what we were searching for, be it extreme low frequency extension (after all they are 8s...cut em some slack, having extreme impact at legit volumes... These dont share those downfalls. Jim and the boys really built a freak of nature.
Your going to run out of power before you run out of clean output I have no idea how they will do at 300 or higher.... Honestly nothing would surprise me but I think higher then 300 could be pushing the envelope, but again I have no idea.... If I had thejo time and patience I would build a sealed box because I really want to know how they do in that situation as well....
Maybe I will get motivated? Its hard because my wife is 8months pregnant and we have a 16month old running around added with my new found back issues... although getting much better quickly.
man I gotta move these up on my immediate purchase list in the next two weeks! Man if I hadn't got hit with two major auto repairs in the last 2 months I would have these now. Also I will be the Guinea pig I guess to try them out as midbass drivers. I know Wldock-Walt has a set of anarchy's, so maybe I can ask if he wants to compare the two. I know a 7" vs 8" is not fair. But I feel with the high praise of the anarchy's it will be fun. I can build two small .3cubic sealed boxes. Well now the search is on for someone local to build me a pair of sealed door pods...

Old 05-27-2011   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 mushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enough

I'm calling you NOW and gonna hear this for myself... not sure if you're down to swap in my KS1000.1 for a brief moment to see if they'll be a noticeable difference...
mushasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I would assume that 1k at two ohms from the arc vs 900 from my boston there would be little to no difference....but who knows. However, your timing is just like with the g5
I had to put my seats back in so I can drive to my Dr. appointment and the center console no longer works with right now with the 8s (the brackets touch the second sub). I can just set it in the truck for the sake of listening but its going to sound WAY better in the proper box and mounted solid. If you want the Boston still then today is fine. After 5 maybe? But if you want to play with the 8s then I would say maybe sometime next week is better so I can get the box in.
Old 05-27-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough

I have been switching my sub preference to smaller, to make a form fitting box and get my cargo space back (a recent 4.1 cubic foot 15" box trade helped persuade me)

I looked up the specs and it says .7 for ported enclosure (I'm guessing you have 2 of them, making it 1.4) Only .1 smaller than alpine recommends for a ported box which probably doesn't matter (just thought I would bring that up in case you cared)

Also: .3 for sealed!! That is music to my ears...thanks for posting this...I've been interested in selling off all my subs/boxes and getting something much smaller in size...@ $150 range, these seem great.

2010 chevy HHR LT - dnx 6160 - Alpine MRP-M500 - JL 12w3v3-4 - sony xm 4045
96jimmyslt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

I've got one sitting in the spare bedroom just waiting on me. I was going to squeeze 2 in .54 sealed but have decided to go bigger on the box and maybe get 1 cube and stuff 3 in there. It may take awhile to get it done I have just been so busy lately. But you review is really making this wait difficult.
Problemhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 94 rugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura aboutrugdnit has a spectacular aura about

nice review! i was entertaining going with a pair ported due to the slim profile box options. now I am going to have to. i gotta' finish my A pillars though. pillars, h800 and now these 8s. i really need to stop reading here. this place is so bad for the habit.
rugdnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 mushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enoughmushasho will become famous soon enough

1 Word... "WOW!".... they play sooo nice with others in the band! The way a TRIO SHOULD! So balanced and well behaved... shining when needed without taking the spot of others spectrum. Thanks for letting me take a listen...

I'm still gonna get the G5's cuz my application needs a little more output in the very low registers

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2011   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 244 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell us how it compares to one of the TC based subs? (TC-1000, Epic 8, RL-i8) as I'm sure you've used one of those...

By the way, good review...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96jimmyslt View Post
I have been switching my sub preference to smaller, to make a form fitting box and get my cargo space back (a recent 4.1 cubic foot 15" box trade helped persuade me)

I looked up the specs and it says .7 for ported enclosure (I'm guessing you have 2 of them, making it 1.4) Only .1 smaller than alpine recommends for a ported box which probably doesn't matter (just thought I would bring that up in case you cared)

Also: .3 for sealed!! That is music to my ears...thanks for posting this...I've been interested in selling off all my subs/boxes and getting something much smaller in size...@ $150 range, these seem great.
Correct, the box is a tad smaller the alpine spec...and with my initial port calculations off its not a great box to begin with, but in a better setup the size would definitely be more then fine and Jim had confirmed this prior to my purchasing them.
Old 05-27-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problemhouston View Post
I've got one sitting in the spare bedroom just waiting on me. I was going to squeeze 2 in .54 sealed but have decided to go bigger on the box and maybe get 1 cube and stuff 3 in there. It may take awhile to get it done I have just been so busy lately. But you review is really making this wait difficult.
I really hope you do this....I have all the lumber in my garage now for the new box and I am hoping there is enough left over to build an extra sealed box that would fit as my center console in case I prefered it, but at least want to hear it. I think multiple sealed could be the meal ticket for most!
I can only imagine the power one could feed this in a sealed box I am thinking maybe like a 1500w mono?
Old 05-27-2011   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I really hope you do this....I have all the lumber in my garage now for the new box and I am hoping there is enough left over to build an extra sealed box that would fit as my center console in case I prefered it, but at least want to hear it. I think multiple sealed could be the meal ticket for most!
I can only imagine the power one could feed this in a sealed box I am thinking maybe like a 1500w mono?

I am going to do a little work on it this weekend and see what I can get done. I will take pictures and maybe put it in the build log section. My Audison LRx is only rated at like 900 watss at one ohm and I don't think I can get there with three subs. My biggest probelm is my headunit. the W202 I have is only 2volts. I have the H700 BNIB waiting to go in so I don't want to give my thoughts until I install the H700 as well cause it's supposed to up the voltage to 4+ volts.
Problemhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #23

DIYMA freshman

2volts "should" be enough....(runs and ducks for cover)
Old 05-27-2011   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushasho View Post
1 Word... "WOW!".... they play sooo nice with others in the band! The way a TRIO SHOULD! So balanced and well behaved... shining when needed without taking the spot of others spectrum. Thanks for letting me take a listen...

I'm still gonna get the G5's cuz my application needs a little more output in the very low registers

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Hey man, it was great meeting you! Dont forget to get me that artist we were listening to! Not a clue what they were saying but the band was tight and very talented and you were right, very well recorded!
Glad you liked them too, just imagine how much better they will be in a better box.
I agree that in your particular situation the G5 will suite your needs better!
Talk to you soon,
Old 05-27-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Can you tell us how it compares to one of the TC based subs? (TC-1000, Epic 8, RL-i8) as I'm sure you've used one of those...

By the way, good review...

Kelvin
Well Kelvin, as usual...Great idea/comparison. I have used the soundsplinter rl-i8 a while back. Had one in the back of a tiny suv with a dyn front stage with a drz9255 and mcintosh 431 (x2). It was a GREAT sub! If I remember correctly I would say that would be a fair comparison in most cases. I think impact and articulation would go to the Type R, I think they are going to own that catagory in most cases...they get an 11-10 in that dept. imo. I assume its a combo of cone material/weight with the unique surround they use. Volume they are probably very similar. If I recal, the time I got the rl-i8 it was very hard to get hold of and took a slightly larger box to be able to get the freakish low end extension they were capable of, also very good power handling as well. I would say they might be the closest comparison I can think of (after you mentioned it