DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 11 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013   #251
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 234 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
iPod touch ftw. Nevah gonna have a classic. Just bought a 32gb iPod touch gen5 xD

For in-car use there's nothing better than the classic.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013   #252

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 97 co_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to co_leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesayso View Post
I thought the p99RS could play wav trough USB?
Yes it can. The P99RS can play WAV files through USB.

My wife has a 64GB iPod Touch and i have a 120GB iPod classic. I can hook these up to the P99RS via its USB port. Out of the hundreds of albums on these iDevices, only one or two are in WAV. The others are mostly in MP3 or AAC format. I normally don't use WAV on iDevices because:
1. No metadata in WAV files - meaning no album art and song information.
2. iPod space is expensive and limited.

For my P99RS, I use a old CHEAP 500GB external USB hard drive. Cheap meaning I bought it brand new for under US$40. Its a Samsung USB 2.0 hard drive that I cut into two FAT32 partitions. The P99RS "sees" only the first partition. This is good for me because that's where I file all the songs I want to hear at the moment. Then I use my computer to move to the second partition the songs I'm tired of hearing but want to keep.

All the songs on that hard drive are in WAV format, ripped from the original CDs using Exact audio Copy.

2007 Honda Civic / Pioneer DEX-P99RS / Seas Excel Millenium T25CF002 Tweeters / Seas Excel W12CY001 Midrange / Dominations CFS4 midbass / Sundown Z15 sub / Sands M475 front-stage amps / Sands M1000 subwoofer amp / Tchernov Original Balanced RCA cables / Team DSD
co_leonard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013   #253

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Tropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for the responses.........Well I tried a few different options and thought I would post my progress below..........
Tropikal_Knights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013   #254

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Tropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Only 2 HU in existence play .flac files and the P99RS isn't one of them...

Kelvin
okay so then which are the 2 hu that play flac files?
Old 01-17-2013   #255

DIYMA freshman

So first using Exact audio Copy an older version I ripped a test cd to 320kpbs.....

But there was a huge difference between that and CD quality. I kept the original cd and my usb ripped version of it and alternatively played them.

320kpbs songs to me lacked depth, punch and detail and seemed "light" if I could explain it that way. No patch on cd
Old 01-17-2013   #256

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_leonard View Post
Yup. Sad but true.

Convert them to WAV. I use Foobar to do this. Then I file them in an external hard drive.

Just make sure to convert your FLACs to 16bit/44.1kHz WAV files, and use a USB 2.0 hard drive with a maximum partition size of of 250GB formatted to FAT32.
Thanks. I did exactly what you said. But used Switch Sound file converter to convert the Flac files into 16bit/44.1 wav files.

I still noticed a difference. Not as much as the 320kpbs songs vs CD.

Some people say its a placebo but I definitely heard a difference in CD vs. Wav.

I would say at most a 5% difference but it was still there.
Old 01-17-2013   #257

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
x2

If you absolutely must have "uncompressed" quality and can live with the added file size over lossless, then WAV is the only option.
Are you sure that the WAV files are exact CD quality . I mean they take up alot of space so I assume they are but I did notice a difference as I mentioned above.

My CD songs just sounded as if they had more depth and punch . The WAV files of the same songs seemed to lack that and seemed more electronic.

If you are sure that it is an exact replica I do not mind purchasing the external hard drive USB maybe go for one with 3.0

Is the external USB option compatible with the P99. Do you plug it with a Wire into the USB jack in the dashboard?

And is there any specific model that is compatible with the P99?
Old 01-17-2013   #258

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
To be closer to your lossless goal I bet the P99RS also plays AAC converted at close to 400 kbps. I run my P88RS with aac 380 kbps with a CD UB100 USB. Still lossy though but very close to CD quality. Space is cheap right?
I thought the p99RS could play wav trough USB? Too bad flac is not an option yet.
I guess FLAC compatibility would solve the issue easily. Flac sounds beautiful even on my computer........
Old 01-17-2013   #259

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 97 co_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enoughco_leonard will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to co_leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropikal_Knights View Post
Are you sure that the WAV files are exact CD quality . I mean they take up alot of space so I assume they are but I did notice a difference as I mentioned above.

My CD songs just sounded as if they had more depth and punch . The WAV files of the same songs seemed to lack that and seemed more electronic.

If you are sure that it is an exact replica I do not mind purchasing the external hard drive USB maybe go for one with 3.0

Is the external USB option compatible with the P99. Do you plug it with a Wire into the USB jack in the dashboard?

And is there any specific model that is compatible with the P99?
When I used Foobar to convert 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1 WAV, yes there was a difference when heard on good-quality headphones and on my home audio system. A little narrower stage width. Slightly shallower stage depth. Some loss of low-level details. But I don't have that many 24/96 FLACs to begin with.

When I used EXACT audio COPY in "Secure Mode" to rip an original audio CD to WAV, there was no audible difference both on headphones and on my home audio system. EAC is the defacto standard for converting "Red Book" CD audio to WAV.

So these WAV files are what makes it on to the USB hard drive that I use with my P99RS.

On another note, my friends and I have tested several USB 3.0 hard drives with the P99. Seagate, Western Digital and Samsung. All three will work as long as it is plugged directly into the USB lead of the P99 - not using the USB extension cable that comes with the P99. When this cable is used, the P99 was unable to read the USB 3.0 hard drive.

But USB 2.0 works every time.

2007 Honda Civic / Pioneer DEX-P99RS / Seas Excel Millenium T25CF002 Tweeters / Seas Excel W12CY001 Midrange / Dominations CFS4 midbass / Sundown Z15 sub / Sands M475 front-stage amps / Sands M1000 subwoofer amp / Tchernov Original Balanced RCA cables / Team DSD
co_leonard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013   #260
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 278 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
okay so then which are the 2 hu that play flac files?
There is/was a Sony Xplod HU that is able to play .flac files and for 2013, Kenwood is releasing, an entry level unit , that can play .flac files <-- download the catalog to see the HU #

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013   #261
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Rep Power: 96 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks. I did exactly what you said. But used Switch Sound file converter to convert the Flac files into 16bit/44.1 wav files.

I still noticed a difference. Not as much as the 320kpbs songs vs CD.

Some people say its a placebo but I definitely heard a difference in CD vs. Wav.

I would say at most a 5% difference but it was still there.
There shouldn't be differences between flac and wav as both are lossless. You might want to check if both sources were played back with the same decibel level. USB is a different source from CD and the dB levels should be exactly the same to compare both. In most head units different sources can have different level settings. I know I can adjust each input on my HU.
But as a musical source signal it shouldn't differ. As long as both files are in the same format, for example 16 bit 44.1 khz.
Most precieved differences come from playing 2 tracks at a different dB level.
The loudest usually gets the vote.

If you take a 16 bit 44.1 khz flac, convert it to wav 16 bit 44.1 khz and back to flac 16 bit 44.1 khz the file should be exactly the same.

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013   #262
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 294 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Lossless is lossless independent on format

Lots of mp3 bashing here. I will post some data tomorrow on mp3 vs lossless and show you what the differences are by measurements!

Many downloaded mp3s are encoded with bad settings/codecs. Joint stereo is one of the things...

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013   #263

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 prettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enough

Hmm..is this still a p99rs review/discovery thread?
prettysweetsounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013   #264
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 294 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't intend to post here...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

Old 01-18-2013   #265

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_leonard View Post
When I used Foobar to convert 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1 WAV, yes there was a difference when heard on good-quality headphones and on my home audio system. A little narrower stage width. Slightly shallower stage depth. Some loss of low-level details. But I don't have that many 24/96 FLACs to begin with.

When I used EXACT audio COPY in "Secure Mode" to rip an original audio CD to WAV, there was no audible difference both on headphones and on my home audio system. EAC is the defacto standard for converting "Red Book" CD audio to WAV.

So these WAV files are what makes it on to the USB hard drive that I use with my P99RS.

On another note, my friends and I have tested several USB 3.0 hard drives with the P99. Seagate, Western Digital and Samsung. All three will work as long as it is plugged directly into the USB lead of the P99 - not using the USB extension cable that comes with the P99. When this cable is used, the P99 was unable to read the USB 3.0 hard drive.

But USB 2.0 works every time.

Well I converted directly to WAV format from the CD. The quality was a bit better than before but still not like CD quality. Better than when I recorded them into FLAC and then converted from that.

In EAC the wav tab....there are two options high and low quality cant seem to click the high quality one ...dont know what the issue is.......

thanks for the 2.0 hard drive heads up.......

think I might try foobar and see if I can get exact cd quality
Old 01-18-2013   #266

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettysweetsounds View Post
Hmm..is this still a p99rs review/discovery thread?
I have been using a p99 for the last 6 months and indeed have many queries on it which I will post later......just was trying to get some guidance from people who have converted their music to something portable without sacrificing any quality. With the 99 want to hear every note in my music to the fullest.
Old 01-18-2013   #267
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I made a post about lossy audio formats btw:

Lossy vs lossless formats / audibility threshold?

Old 01-19-2013   #268

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Krieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enoughKrieger88 will become famous soon enough

Is anyone else peeved that the display doesn't change colors like the trim of the knobs do? Why the hell wouldn't Pioneer make that an option?
Krieger88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013   #269
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Rep Power: 96 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have been using a p99 for the last 6 months and indeed have many queries on it which I will post later......just was trying to get some guidance from people who have converted their music to something portable without sacrificing any quality. With the 99 want to hear every note in my music to the fullest.
Wav will not sacrifice any quality as long as the ripping tool or transcoding software doesn't mess it up.

Take your favorite CD, rip it with something like the EAC (Exact audio Copy) ripping tool to wav. Burn the wav files to a CD-r and compare both CD's. That should give you your answer. Oh yeah, make sure someone other than you loads the CD's for that test so you don't know what CD is actually playing. That alone can make a very big difference!

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013   #270
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger88 View Post
Is anyone else peeved that the display doesn't change colors like the trim of the knobs do? Why the hell wouldn't Pioneer make that an option?
not an issue for me. i think pioneer wanted to go the way of clean minimalism with the styling- emphasizing the sound quality rather than the glitz.

occasionally i see those double din touch screen units and think they do look pretty cool - and then i see my nice clean understated P99 in my dash and hear the clean amazing sound of the music and i realize there is no contest.

if i had to request some changes for the next version of the P99 here are some for starters-

*9 channels- sum the extra one for subwoofer duty. would really love a 3-way active front stage and rear full fill.

*double din with a larger, non touch screen display.

*integrated RTA with generator and programmable frequency curves

*bluetooth integration for enhanced remote tuning control via laptop, tablet or phone.

*state of the art DSP software ap with multiple dialog boxes and controls open for every network- one-page tuning- minimize the amount of menu steps / buried menus required for tuning

*integrated HD radio.

*front panel usb and aux access

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013   #271
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 234 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I was with you until you said front panel USB/aux input. I think that is the tackiest, cheap-ass thing ever on a HU. Nothing says high end HU like an add-on cable jutting out of the front of it.

I like everything else though.

Old 01-20-2013   #272
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I was with you until you said front panel USB/aux input. I think that is the tackiest, cheap-ass thing ever on a HU. Nothing says high end HU like an add-on cable jutting out of the front of it.

I like everything else though.
good point- do the work and route the cable from the back, i agree.

but a nice clean SD card slot in the front I could live with.

i didn't think about this but i would like to keep the motorized display door even if it were a double din, half of it could open.
the card slot would be behind the display / door.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013   #273
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Exactly what I was thinking. VW actual integrated the SD card slot very well on their OEM HU. Pioneer does as well.
Like you, of prefer it behind the face like Kenwood does. Alpine too, I think.

Old 01-20-2013   #274

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
not an issue for me. i think pioneer wanted to go the way of clean minimalism with the styling- emphasizing the sound quality rather than the glitz.

occasionally i see those double din touch screen units and think they do look pretty cool - and then i see my nice clean understated P99 in my dash and hear the clean amazing sound of the music and i realize there is no contest.

if i had to request some changes for the next version of the P99 here are some for starters-

*9 channels- sum the extra one for subwoofer duty. would really love a 3-way active front stage and rear full fill.

*double din with a larger, non touch screen display.

*integrated RTA with generator and programmable frequency curves

*bluetooth integration for enhanced remote tuning control via laptop, tablet or phone.

*state of the art DSP software ap with multiple dialog boxes and controls open for every network- one-page tuning- minimize the amount of menu steps / buried menus required for tuning

*integrated HD radio.

*front panel usb and aux access

props on the DSP software and bluetooth. BT would have been real handy for such a high end unit
Old 01-21-2013   #275

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Wav will not sacrifice any quality as long as the ripping tool or transcoding software doesn't mess it up.

Take your favorite CD, rip it with something like the EAC (Exact audio Copy) ripping tool to wav. Burn the wav files to a CD-r and compare both CD's. That should give you your answer. Oh yeah, make sure someone other than you loads the CD's for that test so you don't know what CD is actually playing. That alone can make a very big difference!

Well I ripped the CD and played it back ......took a blind test.......had a friend do it......results I noticed a big difference.....the original cd still sounded way better......

the software used was Exact audio Copy.....Dunno I think I may just stick to using original cds have tried everything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement