DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 15 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013   #351
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 69 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD240 View Post
Lol.

Does that thing play 45's though?
lol...

The gentleman probably purchased an mx5000 (if he did his research).

It is one of the best cd players ever made for a car, without question.
But it needs to be paired with a good processor to get the most out of it.

I am happy to run my mx4000 with a ps8, it does worlds better than my p99rs ever did.

I speak the truth because I care...
Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013   #352
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 98 JVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enoughJVD240 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCo View Post
lol...

I am happy to run my mx4000 with a ps8, it does worlds better than my p99rs ever did.
For sure. I'm just playin, man.

I think the appeal of the P99 is simplicity. Less cable, fewer devices and as much DSP as most need; the perfect daily driver deck.
JVD240 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013   #353
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 69 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD240 View Post
For sure. I'm just playin, man.

I think the appeal of the P99 is simplicity. Less cable, fewer devices and as much DSP as most need; the perfect daily driver deck.

I am not going to knock the p99rs as an all-in-one solution for full active setups. I think the price point is a little too high on it. But you could easily make the same arguement for the McIntosh decks.

The p99rs was a fun deck and I am glad I tried it, the bass was definately on point. My only real complaints were that I felt that the DAC was very clinical. And that users should have more control over the crossover points.

Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000
Old 03-06-2013   #354
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
lol...

I would love the versatility of the ps8 but not having integrated controls at the head unit is a flat out deal breaker.
Adjusting on the fly is mandatory.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013   #355
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
I would love the versatility of the ps8 but not having integrated controls at the head unit is a flat out deal breaker.
Adjusting on the fly is mandatory.
I 100% agree. The controller is on preorder for me, probably one or two months more. Even with the controller, switching things on the fly maybe difficult, time will tell.

The main thing I want to control usually is the bass. Which can be done from the 4000. Frankly there were some major misteps on Arc's release of the ps8.

1) It was released without a manual (also no installation manual).
2) The controller should come with all processors (my opinion, a lot of people disagree with me there) But for something like the ps8, giving the customers a means to switch audio inputs would have been good.
3) When I use optical input into the controller the dac is very good, but the sound still can't compare to the Mac via rca...
4) With the current firmware version there is a 1-2 minute boot up time where you can sometimes hear engine noise.

But even with all that, I love the sound and deal with the drawbacks.

Old 03-06-2013   #356
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 232 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Your turn on has hit two minutes? Mine is always 65-70 seconds but there is never any engine noise.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013   #357
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

LOL it's a rough estimate man... when I hear the engine noise it seems like longer >.<

Old 03-06-2013   #358
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

My automatic starter helps... by the time I get to my Car it is usually ready.
Have they released another firmware update in the last month? That was the last time I updated it....

Old 03-06-2013   #359
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 232 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I don't think so.

Old 03-07-2013   #360

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Model Electronics
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 0 wkndracr will become famous soon enoughwkndracr will become famous soon enoughwkndracr will become famous soon enoughwkndracr will become famous soon enoughwkndracr will become famous soon enoughwkndracr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
lol...

That customer actually bought a MX406, feeding a MCC404m amp, along with some Image Dynamics components. The combo sounds pretty damn good, although with stock Speaker placement and no processing, there is no stage to speak of, but he's more concerned with fidelity than a perfect soundstage.
wkndracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013   #361
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracr View Post
That customer actually bought a MX406, feeding a MCC404m amp, along with some Image Dynamics components. The combo sounds pretty damn good, although with stock Speaker placement and no processing, there is no stage to speak of, but he's more concerned with fidelity than a perfect soundstage.
Without TA for phase adjustment the system will not come close to its best potential fidelity in the mobile environment.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
Old 03-13-2013   #362
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 107 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

Here is something I stumbled on tonight...when you adjust the T/A of one speaker, it changes the T/A of the others. I had my midbass speakers muted and was trying to figure out which way I needed to go on my mids. I accidentally adjusted the left side T/A for midbass and could actually hear the sound change from the other speakers that were playing! I ran it up and down the scale till I got a crystal clear sounder and then turned the midbass back on. If the P99 recalculates the T/A for the other drivers everytime an adjustment is made, then the conventional methods of setting time delay may not work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE using Tapatalk 2

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013   #363
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

I think the maximum distance setting actually is no delay. ~394cm = no delay.

Don't think it recalculates the other drivers but I could be wrong.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013   #364
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 107 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
I think the maximum distance setting actually is no delay. ~394cm = no delay.

Don't think it recalculates the other drivers but I could be wrong.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.
I'm not sure what's going on with it but it did change the T/A relationship between the speakers that were playing...maybe it was a phase adjustment between the active set.

Old 04-18-2013   #365

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 preston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enough

Can someone explain to me the order in which this unit displays the files on your USB stick ? I have files that are named "01 xxxx" and "02 xxxx" and it will still play them out of order. Maybe I made a mistake but I thought I checked on the computer to see if it was using "date modified" or "date created" and it didn't seem like it was but like I said maybe I looked at the wrong column.
preston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013   #366
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

been satisfied with the tune and sound for over a month now- it only took a year plus

wondering where to go next. more Power might be nice but i have 150 watts going to each front midbass and 100 watts going to each passively linked midrange and tweeter.
not too many amps put more than 150 watts per channel.

Old 04-27-2013   #367
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

They do when you bridge them. ;-)

Old 04-27-2013   #368
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 97 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Can someone explain to me the order in which this unit displays the files on your USB stick ? I have files that are named "01 xxxx" and "02 xxxx" and it will still play them out of order. Maybe I made a mistake but I thought I checked on the computer to see if it was using "date modified" or "date created" and it didn't seem like it was but like I said maybe I looked at the wrong column.
It looks at date created. There is some app which can change the date created so that it matches in alphabetical order. I will try to find it out

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
piyush7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013   #369

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enough

Default Crossover points question

I know running active is better but I'm not due to limited space in my convertible
I have a 3 way set of Dynaudio 362's in the front doors and JBL GTI 660's in the rear sides and 2 JBL GTI 12MKII's subs in the trunk. I have the Dex P99RS head unit 2 Mcintosh 302's and 2 Mcintosh 301's. The sound pressure levels are insane now but I want to fine tune it and not sure where I should start the crossover point being I'm running the fronts and rears passive?

My question is given the speakers I have what would be the best crossover points to set on the DexP99RS for the front rear and subs?

Thanks
bospet40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013   #370

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 matyj will become famous soon enoughmatyj will become famous soon enoughmatyj will become famous soon enoughmatyj will become famous soon enoughmatyj will become famous soon enoughmatyj will become famous soon enough

hey man....that is a tricky one, I dont think you can run active with this setup. Im not sure what channel to feed them, but in passive I think its set to run, high (front) Mid (rear) Low (sub?) then sub off? something like this, someone else here can help im sure, but you will need to go passive, I dont think you can pull off some passive and some active with this system. Ive been runing focal utopia active 4 way for a few months and still tweaking. Why don't just get some clever amp placement and run active? The rear speakers will completely defeat the purpose of this hu (without sounding like a dick) When you go to a concert you sit in front of the band, you dont have parts of the band in front of you and part behind you. Or sit with your back against a concrete wall so there is a constant droning echo from left and right rear. The point of all the processing and calibration Power of that hu is to position yourself dead centre and middle row to the band. (I can pick exactly where L and R and how far back and forwards on a stage musos are on live recordings) The recording itself will travel past your head and create natural rear fill just like a concert. The p99 calibration tools set you to where the sound guy would set up his booth at a concert. Also, with that hu and those amps, the natural reverb of a recording is going to go completely out of whack. I can actually use this natural verb to TA properly, I really, obsessively finely tweak until i hear a beautiful even dispersion around my cabin. This will be impossible with rear fill. The only time i would ever go rears is if I had a 5.1 player installed. then there would be a point. Or different components but with your gear, dont kill it man.
matyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013   #371

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enoughbospet40 will become famous soon enough

I like sound from all over, you can't put subs in your dash, right? Actually, I don't want it to sound like live music or a concert, they all sound like crap and not what I'm after. Recording studio, or extreme high end home gear or club sound IS what it sounds like already plus my gear happens to be some of the best money can buy, this was not my question.
bospet40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013   #372

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 66 Shadowmarx will become famous soon enoughShadowmarx will become famous soon enoughShadowmarx will become famous soon enoughShadowmarx will become famous soon enoughShadowmarx will become famous soon enoughShadowmarx will become famous soon enough

??? yes Sir there is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
been satisfied with the tune and sound for over a month now- it only took a year plus

wondering where to go next. more Power might be nice but i have 150 watts going to each front midbass and 100 watts going to each passively linked midrange and tweeter.
not too many amps put more than 150 watts per channel.
Shadowmarx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013   #373

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 preston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enough

Wow - a PS8 takes over a minute to boot up ? That would drive me insane.
preston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013   #374
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
I've heard 2 PS8's in the past week and neither took that long.

Old 05-03-2013   #375
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
I've heard 2 PS8's in the past week and neither took that long.

If you don't follow the directions when changing the turn on/off settings it is POSSIBLE that it'll happen. All you have to do is go in and re-save the settings correctly it's fine. I had a long turn-on delay until I actually read the directions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement