DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 17 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013   #401
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 233 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

You have 5 presets available.

On another note, the ENTIRE Stage 4 line has been removed from the Stage 4 page on the Pioneer site. Buried somewhere in a pic archive they show the P80 are a Stage 4 product but the only things you can find about the P99 are the owner's and installation manual. I don't know if that means it's being replaced or just discontinued but I figured you guys would want to know.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013   #402
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 75 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Subwoofer amp bass knob? Maybe...

Kelvin
thanks- and I do use the sub level control on the deck occasionally but the frequencies I need to adjust are in the 80 to 250 Hz range or so. In other words adjusting the sub level does not do the job.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #403
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 75 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
I never change EQ based on recordings. I do have a remote gain control for the subwoofer, it's the only thing I change if the recording sounds too thin.

The "tone controls" found on cheaper HUs are often a mid-Q EQ-bands focused around 100/1000/10000Hz fyi.
understood- the tone controls usually have a wide Q as well but they are simple adjustments easy to make on the fly.
the JBL MS-8 includes remote bass/mid/treble adjustments.

many decent OE systems probably dial in a baseline EQ curve and then supply the bass/mid/treble to fine tune from there.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.

Old 06-03-2013   #404
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post

On another note, the ENTIRE Stage 4 line has been removed from the Stage 4 page on the Pioneer site. Buried somewhere in a pic archive they show the P80 are a Stage 4 product but the only things you can find about the P99 are the owner's and installation manual. I don't know if that means it's being replaced or just discontinued but I figured you guys would want to know.
Thanks for the info. I am hoping they do replace it with a new and improved P99 even though I probably wouldn't upgrade soon- it would just be sad to think the leading mobile electronics manufacturer would not find a business case to develop and produce an audiophile deck.

I'll probably go the 5-preset route and just dial in some high Q curve adjustments from baseline.

Old 06-03-2013   #405
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post

I noticed this yesterday as well.

If Pioneer replaces that P99 I am eager to see what is next!...not that I have any complaints with my P99, parametric eq would be nice though

2015 Hyundai Sonata
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #406
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 233 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I'm gonna wait and see but if they don't replace it with something good I will scrounge up a P99 and the BT module.

Old 06-03-2013   #407
pjc
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 pjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a double din version.... That would be perfect.

Panny Bottlehead.... The rest... Who knows.
pjc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013   #408
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

That's what I'm hoping for as well.

Old 06-04-2013   #409
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
If there is a double din version.... That would be perfect.
you might want to bump up your post count- quickly!

Old 06-04-2013   #410
pjc
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 pjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond reputepjc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
you might want to bump up your post count- quickly!
Huh?

Old 06-04-2013   #411

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 104 jstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the rough

666 posts. Something bad has to happen :P

DEX-P99RS
(2)PRS-A900 / PRS-D1200SPL / GM-D7400M
High: ML28, Mid: L3SE, Low: ML 165 / Sub: (2)IDMax12 v.3 / Shaker: Buttkicker Mini
jstoner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013   #412
pjc
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoner22 View Post
666 posts. Something bad has to happen :P
Ohhhhh lol. I was so confused. I use the mobile app and it doesn't show post count. Thanks for the clarification lol.

Old 06-15-2013   #413
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

well you learn something new every day and maybe you knew this about the P99, maybe you did not- but
yesterday i learned that you can mute a given channel (sub, low, mid or high, L or R) just by going to the network 1 position for each- and simply down press the multi-function knob until the mute setting is displayed.
i could have used this a long time ago during the tuning process.
it was immediately useful to check the stage position of each side front to rear based on TA settings.

Old 06-15-2013   #414
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 293 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Great function

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013   #415
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 277 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
well you learn something new every day and maybe you knew this about the P99, maybe you did not- but
yesterday i learned that you can mute a given channel (sub, low, mid or high, L or R) just by going to the network 1 position for each- and simply down press the multi-function knob until the mute setting is displayed.
i could have used this a long time ago during the tuning process.
it was immediately useful to check the stage position of each side front to rear based on TA settings.
Good reason why people should read the manual...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013   #416

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 Earzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enoughEarzbleed will become famous soon enough

I so wish I hadn't read the OP. I'd just convinced myself I was content with my current equipment.
Earzbleed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013   #417
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I hear ya. I'm thinking about one and it would be nothing but the transport. I have no need for any of its processing.

Old 06-16-2013   #418
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Good reason why people should read the manual...

Kelvin
I did read it- just missed this one. Sure enough, it is in there.

Old 06-22-2013   #419
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Update 6/22/13.
After some struggle of how to do some minor tonal adjustments on the fly with the P99 relative to the base "tune" or EQ setting, I did some research about common center frequencies and Q factor for the typical bass, midrange and treble controls found in many OEM head units.
The goal is to make minor tonal adjustments to compensate for different recordings that may be off balance in one region of the frequency spectrum or another.
Since the P99 does not include bass, midrange or treble controls and I have not found the perfect sweet spot tune curve that will make every recording sound great, I did need some capability for real time adjustments.
The idea of multiple EQ memory settings was attempted but you quickly become very limited by the (5) available memory presets. For example, a +/- 2 db range for the bass, midrange and treble "bands" in 1/2 db increments would require 512 memory settings for all of the possible combinations. Not achievable or practical.
The conclusion I came to is that most bass, midrange and treble controls center at 100Hz, 1.25Khz and 8Khz with a nominally mid level Q-factor. Not too wide and not too narrow.
So I predetermined that adjusting the "bass" would consist of an EQ boost or cut at 100Hz, (example 1db) followed by a boost or cut of half the amount (e.g. 0.5db) at the frequency bands just before and after 100Hz- being 80 and 125Hz. So a bass boost resembles an even shaped bell curve centered at 100 Hz and tapering to zero just before and after each neighboring frequency band.
A "midrange" boost of 2-db would consist of a 1 db boost at 1Khz, a 2db boost at 1.25 Khz and a 1db boost at 1.6Khz. A treble adjustment would center at 8Khz and be followed by adjustments of 1/2 that amount at the 6.3 and 10Khz bands.
This is done because the P99's 31 band EQ is just too sharp of a resolution at each individual band to make a noticeable difference. The individual bands have a low, narrow q-factor.
In practice, a little cumbersome but I did save my base EQ curve and created another to make adjustments with without losing the original.
I made some nice on the fly adjustments to a given CD that was just a little bass heavy and midrange muddled so that once set, the entire CD sounds great.
All in all an excellent "poor man's" bass, midrange and treble controls.

Old 06-22-2013   #420

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 117 jebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura aboutjebcamaro has a spectacular aura about

Still there...

DEX-P99RS - Stage 4 Reference Series CD Receiver | Pioneer Electronics USA
jebcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013   #421

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough82801BA will become famous soon enough

Is it more expensive than before?

DEX-P99RS (Hi/Mid)->PRS-A900->Dynaudio MD102/MW160GT
Sub->Alpine MRD-M300->Dynaudio MW190
82801BA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013   #422
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Same price. Same unit. Instill can't figure out why the Stage 4 page was empty for a bit.

Old 06-30-2013   #423
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

crutchfield has it for the exact price I paid a year and a half ago. other places have it the same or higher - e.g. woofers etc. abt.

for a while there the unit was not available to many retailers (in fact, only crutchfield online) when the stage 4 product became more exclusive for some reason.
-
i'm experiencing an occasional loss of display when i adjust the audio with the MFC. it comes back on when i let go- or in one case i had to cycle the power.

Old 06-30-2013   #424
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Sounds like the ribbon cable is going bad.

Old 06-30-2013   #425
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 59 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

Let us know if that continues.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement