DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012   #26
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

pics of the dummy, also posted in the DEX auto EQ poll.

if you don't like the autotune results, try moving the mic, and don't block / alter the sound reception by putting it on the headrest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0443.jpg (52.2 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.jpg (46.7 KB, 223 views)

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-07-2012   #27
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: szczecin/poland
Posts: 10

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 igrzelczyk will become famous soon enoughigrzelczyk will become famous soon enoughigrzelczyk will become famous soon enoughigrzelczyk will become famous soon enoughigrzelczyk will become famous soon enoughigrzelczyk will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
pics of the dummy, also posted in the DEX auto EQ poll.

if you don't like the autotune results, try moving the mic, and don't block / alter the sound reception by putting it on the headrest.
All in all, this is a pillow that does nothing for the greatest impact on the rebound, and so have the driver's legs and not his body. just clip the microphone to the headrest (right) and move the seat forward a clove, then convert the indicated times at 0 Sub .Sorry for poor English ...
I greet
igrzelczyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012   #28
DIYMA 500 Club
 
WLDock's Avatar
 
DIYMA Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Age: 50
Posts: 2,298

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 164 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (26)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
Regarding the rear speakers, or "rear fill" as some people call it, I definitely like the added mid-bass the rear door mid-woofers provide.
With the rear speakers on the "LOW" channel on the DEX, I did experiment with cutting the high frequencies out by setting a 2K crossover point for a low pass filter, 18db slope.
To me, and this is probably a personal preference, with all the high frequencies coming from the front speakers it sounded almost too precise, to easy to tell the direction of everything, and made the stage much smaller. I tried this for a day or so. Then I set the read door slope to "PASS" and let the high freqs through once again. Everything opened up, the stage became much larger, wider and deeper, even deeper forward, the vocals became "angelic" again, especially the female vocals. Call it ambience, or whatever but I am one that prefers this setup. It sounds much better to my ears, and I mean much better. My system is slowly becomming an SQ hall and I'm lovin it!
It really is all about how the system is tuned. Take an OEM system for example. Recently I was doing some serious listening in a newer Dodge Journey. The current Chrysler OEM systems are SO much better and better balances vs. systems from just a generation ago. With the BALANCE and FADE in the center position the system does several things pretty well. Midbass is controlled, and full, the overall stage is wide with some depth and ambience, etc. Now as I tried to ajust the fade to the front and slightly to the left, things went to hell! i did not like the overall sound very much....and the midbass dropped waaay off and I could not get it back with just the fronts. So, if a system is tuned properly to run front and rear speakers the overall result can add something rather than take away from the sound.

Nevertheless, there are many systems with just front speakers that can do many things right also because they are tuned to do so. Tunning is key!
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012   #29
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Dock-

I agree completely! My Car is about the same internal size as a Journey and I did not realize how good the stock system was until I tried to improve upon it- My first "go round" of aftermarket hardware with basic 10" enclosed sub, basic amp, nice receiver (CDA 117) and what I thought were good comps (Alpine SPR 60C) actually sounder WORSE THAN FACTORY!
Of course, key to this was the fact that I did not amplify the rear door speakers.

I could not get the Car to sound right without the rear speakers in the mix- it went to hell without them like your experience in the journey. the car's interior volume and acoustics are the reason- and the fact that the rear doors are much better bass enclosures than the front ones are.
I wouldn't know what to do to tune the system for front speakers only. At this point I don't see why I would want to- my car sounds great as it is.
The time alignment really helped.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012   #30
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrzelczyk View Post
All in all, this is a pillow that does nothing for the greatest impact on the rebound, and so have the driver's legs and not his body. just clip the microphone to the headrest (right) and move the seat forward a clove, then convert the indicated times at 0 Sub .Sorry for poor English ...
I greet
i didn't use the pillow to simulate a body being present in the seat during the autotune. hopefully the pioneer engineers had accounted for this in the autotune calibration- but I do have some doubts.
i used the pillow dummy so i could have a stable base for the mic that was away from the headrest- i found that in order for the final image to be centered, the mic had to be placed in space to the right of the headrest by a couple of inches- make that 50mm for european dimensions!

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012   #31
 
jodyz's Avatar
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 7

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 jodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
hopefully the pioneer engineers had accounted for this in the autotune calibration- but I do have some doubts.
Doubtful they would account for a body in a seat. Too many variables. I have the P99RS as well, but in the non-optimum F/R/S config.I tried the auto EQ function, but I think my F/R/S is to blame for my less than acceptable results.

An active 2way front stage is in the planning stages, and possibly a downgrade to the DEH-80PRS before I give my Car to my daughter. I'll then move the P99RS to my new Car and go nuts with 3way setup.

jodyz###
2000 Honda Accord SiR Wagon (JDM)
Pioneer P99RS, SS Rubicon 5.800, SS RF-60C, Morel Tempo 5c, JL 12W3v3
jodyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012   #32
Upgrade Your Membership!
 
jcollin76's Avatar
 
DIYMA Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Iowa
Age: 40
Posts: 1,775

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 103 jcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nice


iTrader: (32)



Default

I still say just sit in the vehicle during auto tune. This way, whatever effect you body has on reflections, blocking speakers, etc. is accounted for. You listen in the vehicle, tune in the vehicle, if your using the auto function as a baseline...be in the car. Lol

08 Chevy Silverado ccsb >>>Pioneer DEX-P99RS>>>JL HD600/4×2, JL HD1200/1>>>Rainbow cal28>>>Pioneer ts-s062prs>>> Rainbow w175 platinum>>>JL zr800>>>Diyma R12 ×4 sealed>>> lots of Second skin, Raamaudio, and knuconcepts
jcollin76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012   #33
 
jodyz's Avatar
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 7

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 jodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollin76 View Post
I still say just sit in the vehicle during auto tune. This way, whatever effect you body has on reflections, blocking speakers, etc. is accounted for. You listen in the vehicle, tune in the vehicle, if your using the auto function as a baseline...be in the car. Lol
Not a bad idea, but where do I put the microphone? Should I glue it to my nose? When I get rid of the rear fill, I'll give this a try.

jodyz###
2000 Honda Accord SiR Wagon (JDM)
Pioneer P99RS, SS Rubicon 5.800, SS RF-60C, Morel Tempo 5c, JL 12W3v3
jodyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012   #34
DIYMA 500 Club
 
IBcivic's Avatar
 
Back Yard Installer
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: At Home...EH?
Age: 50
Posts: 4,292

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 150 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice


iTrader: (55)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyz View Post
Not a bad idea, but where do I put the microphone? Should I glue it to my nose? When I get rid of the rear fill, I'll give this a try.
Make yourself a tuning rig

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012   #35
Upgrade Your Membership!
 
jcollin76's Avatar
 
DIYMA Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Iowa
Age: 40
Posts: 1,775

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 103 jcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nice


iTrader: (32)



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyz View Post
Not a bad idea, but where do I put the microphone? Should I glue it to my nose? When I get rid of the rear fill, I'll give this a try.

i borrowed one of my daughters headbands. Clipped the Mic to it and put it at about eyebrow line height.
Sit like your going to sit when driving/listening. It made a pretty large difference in the auto tune..




Quote:
Originally Posted by IBcivic View Post
Make yourself a tuning rig
Might as well have a little style while doing it. Lol
Neighbors would freak though....

08 Chevy Silverado ccsb >>>Pioneer DEX-P99RS>>>JL HD600/4×2, JL HD1200/1>>>Rainbow cal28>>>Pioneer ts-s062prs>>> Rainbow w175 platinum>>>JL zr800>>>Diyma R12 ×4 sealed>>> lots of Second skin, Raamaudio, and knuconcepts
jcollin76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012   #36
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Wesayso's Avatar
 
When the music's over
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 49
Posts: 1,256

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 95 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBcivic View Post
Make yourself a tuning rig
Those eyebrows will help limit reflections though!

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012   #37
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Another nice recent discovery is the ability to adjust the level of every channel independently.
I recently went active with the front stage after installing a new JL 300/V2 amplifier and the autotune became really finicky with the position of the mic trying to autotone all 8 channels. The final stage image would shift significantly right or left with just a slight shift in the microphone position- literally a matter of an inch or two to the right or left.

After about 5 tuning cycles I finally settled on one but it was not as good as when the front stage was passive.

The independent level control allowed me to fine tune the autotune results to balance the image.

I'm guessing you could improve the image even more by fine tuning the TA settings but I am hesitant to try it.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012   #38
 
DIYMA Novice
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amherst, Nova Scotia
Posts: 312

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 104 jstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the rough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

the independent level matching is a huge plus for tuning.

and don't be hesitant! you have a P99, come on! it is meant to be tweaked and fiddled with.
just write down your settings currently if you happen to mess it up.

DEX-P99RS
(2)PRS-A900 / PRS-D1200SPL / GM-D7400M
High: ML28, Mid: L3SE, Low: ML 165 / Sub: (2)IDMax12 v.3 / Shaker: Buttkicker Mini
jstoner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012   #39
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hawaii
Posts: 21

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 morning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (8)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Awesome write up! I always wanted to try a p99 but they were never within my price range.
morning_wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012   #40
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Well an update for April 21. Last week I installed a class A-B amp to run active on the front stage. It sounds smoother than the class D that was running the fronts previously. There is LOTS of controversy about this opinion and I will not go into it here!
I also built my custom sealed enclosure for the JL 12W3V3 per JL specs. The thing is as solid as a block of granite! It fits in the sub trunk of my Car and frees up the main cargo area. The SQ is surprisingly better than ported. I do get some floor vibrations but will correct that today with some velcro to hold down the cargo area floor.

My stage is still not centered very well despite a full week of tuning. Yes I even resorted to sitting in the Car with the mic tie-strapped to my forehead and experimented with various positions. The sound sweeps are loud but tolerable but I am still not happy with the TA settings and image. The center fights me to stay hard left. All kinds of reflections to adjust for.
I'm going to attempt some manual TA adjustment today with my handy test CD and see how that goes. It's very frustrating.
Also when I am present in the car during the auto tune, the tonality is a lot more mid range dominant.
I'm going to stick the dummy back in and then attempt to tweak the TA manually.
Hardware is finished- tuning is a bummer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp_subs.jpg (64.5 KB, 192 views)

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012   #41
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Update 4/22/2012.
After hours of experimenting with manual time alignment settings, I stumbled on a very simple way to dial in the settings after an autotune. First off, let me please say they I have never heard a Car stereo sound like this before. It is a whole other world of sound quality once the stage is truly time aligned.
I had an Alpine CDA 117 before and could never get it to sound right so I never really understood how big of a benefit it can be for sound quality.
Basically I ran the "best" autotune sweep for mic position that I had achieved to date- although a per-the-manual autotune as a starting point would probably work.
Then I needed a decent source to play in order to fine tune the settings.
The articles I have read that suggest other methods (manual time alignment using noise and listening for the doppler effect, time alignment by finding the worst out of phase sound) somehow did not seem very easy to work with. All I wanted was for the image to be "centered" equally as to provide a nice stage. I know the autotune on the DEX really struggles with this, the image tends to wander all over the place, probably due to the amount of cabin reflections the various drivers and frequencies show.
So i thought, how do I center the image using time alignment? I really need to do this using music with my own ears because in the end that is what I am hearing when the system is in use.
I thought about using a mono source, since there would be no stereo or studio effects that alter the image position and that I would strictly be adjusting image to center it among the drivers.
AM radio was an option that I quickly dropped because it is not dynamic enough and has a limited frequency range.
I looked at my demo CD "My Disk" by Sheffield labs. It has a mono track of really dynamic, full range well recorded music. Unfortunately it is very short, so I put it on repeat track.
I then decided right or wrong that the "distant" speakers were somewhat OK per the autotune and decided to only adjust the left tweeter, the left midbass and the left rear passive. I wanted to see how this would work. The distances shown on the autoTA seemed reasonable for those farther away drivers on the right side and the sub.
I isolated the tweeters (mounted in stock position just below sail panels).
I changed the crossover to 3K so that they would play a decent range of frequencies.
First off, all levels were set equally and I had the balance position set to the right by (2) on the scale.
I played the mono track and began adjusting the distance settings of the left tweeter. I wanted to focus the tweeter sound to the center of my windshield. I listened carefully as I heard the image go from left to right and back again just by adjusting the left tweeter TA distance.
When I was happy with the center of the tweeter image, I then turned them down and isolated the front mid-bass drivers, located on the bottom front door panels.
Whoaa- this image was really biased to the left. No wonder the stage was crappy.
I again set the mono track on repeat and adjusted the distances on the left mid driver only.
It was a lot easier to center than the tweeters. I quickly had the midbass drivers centered with time alignment.
Then did the same to the rear door drivers. These were already close to center so it did not take too much to adjust he left rear driver to center the rear image.

I then adjusted all crossover points to normal as well as the levels.

Then I played one of the demo tracks (stereo) on the Sheffield labs disk-

I actually shouted out loud in my Car in my garage when I heard it for the first time. Un believably amazing. Seriously, I have never heard this before ever- anywhere. I played the FM and a few CDs. Completely blown away. A whole new league and dimension to the sound. The highs are so much brighter but somehow smoother and more natural. The vocals are dead center in my windshield. The left / right stereo effects for instruments or other studio tricks pop out with precision- a keyboard pops out left of center- stays right where it should- and sounds clear and amazing. A guitar springs up to the right of center. Cymbals crash on the far right.
Simply astounding- and very easy to get to using a high quality dynamic full range mono music track.
DEX owners- be prepared to be blown away if you have such an opportunity.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012   #42
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Wesayso's Avatar
 
When the music's over
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 49
Posts: 1,256

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 95 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
Update 4/22/2012.
After hours of experimenting with manual time alignment settings, I stumbled on a very simple way to dial in the settings after an autotune. First off, let me please say they I have never heard a Car stereo sound like this before. It is a whole other world of sound quality once the stage is truly time aligned.
I had an Alpine CDA 117 before and could never get it to sound right so I never really understood how big of a benefit it can be for sound quality.
Basically I ran the "best" autotune sweep for mic position that I had achieved to date- although a per-the-manual autotune as a starting point would probably work.
Then I needed a decent source to play in order to fine tune the settings.
The articles I have read that suggest other methods (manual time alignment using noise and listening for the doppler effect, time alignment by finding the worst out of phase sound) somehow did not seem very easy to work with. All I wanted was for the image to be "centered" equally as to provide a nice stage. I know the autotune on the DEX really struggles with this, the image tends to wander all over the place, probably due to the amount of cabin reflections the various drivers and frequencies show.
So i thought, how do I center the image using time alignment? I really need to do this using music with my own ears because in the end that is what I am hearing when the system is in use.
I thought about using a mono source, since there would be no stereo or studio effects that alter the image position and that I would strictly be adjusting image to center it among the drivers.
AM radio was an option that I quickly dropped because it is not dynamic enough and has a limited frequency range.
I looked at my demo CD "My Disk" by Sheffield labs. It has a mono track of really dynamic, full range well recorded music. Unfortunately it is very short, so I put it on repeat track.
I then decided right or wrong that the "distant" speakers were somewhat OK per the autotune and decided to only adjust the left tweeter, the left midbass and the left rear passive. I wanted to see how this would work. The distances shown on the autoTA seemed reasonable for those farther away drivers on the right side and the sub.
I isolated the tweeters (mounted in stock position just below sail panels).
I changed the crossover to 3K so that they would play a decent range of frequencies.
First off, all levels were set equally and I had the balance position set to the right by (2) on the scale.
I played the mono track and began adjusting the distance settings of the left tweeter. I wanted to focus the tweeter sound to the center of my windshield. I listened carefully as I heard the image go from left to right and back again just by adjusting the left tweeter TA distance.
When I was happy with the center of the tweeter image, I then turned them down and isolated the front mid-bass drivers, located on the bottom front door panels.
Whoaa- this image was really biased to the left. No wonder the stage was crappy.
I again set the mono track on repeat and adjusted the distances on the left mid driver only.
It was a lot easier to center than the tweeters. I quickly had the midbass drivers centered with time alignment.
Then did the same to the rear door drivers. These were already close to center so it did not take too much to adjust he left rear driver to center the rear image.

I then adjusted all crossover points to normal as well as the levels.

Then I played one of the demo tracks (stereo) on the Sheffield labs disk-

I actually shouted out loud in my Car in my garage when I heard it for the first time. Un believably amazing. Seriously, I have never heard this before ever- anywhere. I played the FM and a few CDs. Completely blown away. A whole new league and dimension to the sound. The highs are so much brighter but somehow smoother and more natural. The vocals are dead center in my windshield. The left / right stereo effects for instruments or other studio tricks pop out with precision- a keyboard pops out left of center- stays right where it should- and sounds clear and amazing. A guitar springs up to the right of center. Cymbals crash on the far right.
Simply astounding- and very easy to get to using a high quality dynamic full range mono music track.
DEX owners- be prepared to be blown away if you have such an opportunity.
Congrats, I know the feeling. But would you believe there may be even more to be had? The method using the noise (listening for doppler effect) not only centers your image but it also makes sure the tweeter is in phase with the mid, the mid in phase with the sub etc. So while you have the mids adjusted L and R try the noise method on the tweeter/mid first on the left side and then adjust the right side, (don't change the mid TA, just adjust the tweeter).
You will be in audio heaven soon

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012   #43
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brazil-Sao Paulo
Posts: 11

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 vitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
Update 4/22/2012.
After hours of experimenting with manual time alignment settings, I stumbled on a very simple way to dial in the settings after an autotune. First off, let me please say they I have never heard a Car stereo sound like this before. It is a whole other world of sound quality once the stage is truly time aligned.
I had an Alpine CDA 117 before and could never get it to sound right so I never really understood how big of a benefit it can be for sound quality.
Basically I ran the "best" autotune sweep for mic position that I had achieved to date- although a per-the-manual autotune as a starting point would probably work.
Then I needed a decent source to play in order to fine tune the settings.
The articles I have read that suggest other methods (manual time alignment using noise and listening for the doppler effect, time alignment by finding the worst out of phase sound) somehow did not seem very easy to work with. All I wanted was for the image to be "centered" equally as to provide a nice stage. I know the autotune on the DEX really struggles with this, the image tends to wander all over the place, probably due to the amount of cabin reflections the various drivers and frequencies show.
So i thought, how do I center the image using time alignment? I really need to do this using music with my own ears because in the end that is what I am hearing when the system is in use.
I thought about using a mono source, since there would be no stereo or studio effects that alter the image position and that I would strictly be adjusting image to center it among the drivers.
AM radio was an option that I quickly dropped because it is not dynamic enough and has a limited frequency range.
I looked at my demo CD "My Disk" by Sheffield labs. It has a mono track of really dynamic, full range well recorded music. Unfortunately it is very short, so I put it on repeat track.
I then decided right or wrong that the "distant" speakers were somewhat OK per the autotune and decided to only adjust the left tweeter, the left midbass and the left rear passive. I wanted to see how this would work. The distances shown on the autoTA seemed reasonable for those farther away drivers on the right side and the sub.
I isolated the tweeters (mounted in stock position just below sail panels).
I changed the crossover to 3K so that they would play a decent range of frequencies.
First off, all levels were set equally and I had the balance position set to the right by (2) on the scale.
I played the mono track and began adjusting the distance settings of the left tweeter. I wanted to focus the tweeter sound to the center of my windshield. I listened carefully as I heard the image go from left to right and back again just by adjusting the left tweeter TA distance.
When I was happy with the center of the tweeter image, I then turned them down and isolated the front mid-bass drivers, located on the bottom front door panels.
Whoaa- this image was really biased to the left. No wonder the stage was crappy.
I again set the mono track on repeat and adjusted the distances on the left mid driver only.
It was a lot easier to center than the tweeters. I quickly had the midbass drivers centered with time alignment.
Then did the same to the rear door drivers. These were already close to center so it did not take too much to adjust he left rear driver to center the rear image.

I then adjusted all crossover points to normal as well as the levels.

Then I played one of the demo tracks (stereo) on the Sheffield labs disk-

I actually shouted out loud in my Car in my garage when I heard it for the first time. Un believably amazing. Seriously, I have never heard this before ever- anywhere. I played the FM and a few CDs. Completely blown away. A whole new league and dimension to the sound. The highs are so much brighter but somehow smoother and more natural. The vocals are dead center in my windshield. The left / right stereo effects for instruments or other studio tricks pop out with precision- a keyboard pops out left of center- stays right where it should- and sounds clear and amazing. A guitar springs up to the right of center. Cymbals crash on the far right.
Simply astounding- and very easy to get to using a high quality dynamic full range mono music track.
DEX owners- be prepared to be blown away if you have such an opportunity.
What music of the cd did you use? I'm running a P99 from 2 weeks now and it's a nice HU(besides my old 9887)...But I'm looking for a better soundstage and trying to ajust the 31 band EQ...I guess I will center all 31 bands using "sine waves" tracks...what do you think about this way?
vitorchadud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012   #44
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brazil-Sao Paulo
Posts: 11

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 vitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Not sine waves..sorry..I will use individual frequencies tracks..
vitorchadud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012   #45
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitorchadud View Post
What music of the cd did you use? I'm running a P99 from 2 weeks now and it's a nice HU(besides my old 9887)...But I'm looking for a better soundstage and trying to ajust the 31 band EQ...I guess I will center all 31 bands using "sine waves" tracks...what do you think about this way?
hello vitor! I have a colleague named vitor from brazil.

I tried using the tone bursts for each frequency of the DEX's 31 bands to adjust the L/R EQ- adjusting to center each frequency.
Unfortunately it did not work and the image was horrible. I tried it several times. The problem was that many of the key frequencies tended to reflect and bounce around. Some frequencies reflected so much that I could not get them to center no matter what I did.
It is worth a try but I believe you will have better success using your ears to adjust the TA.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012   #46
DIYMA 500 Club
 
Wesayso's Avatar
 
When the music's over
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 49
Posts: 1,256

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 95 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
hello vitor! I have a colleague named vitor from brazil.

I tried using the tone bursts for each frequency of the DEX's 31 bands to adjust the L/R EQ- adjusting to center each frequency.
Unfortunately it did not work and the image was horrible. I tried it several times. The problem was that many of the key frequencies tended to reflect and bounce around. Some frequencies reflected so much that I could not get them to center no matter what I did.
It is worth a try but I believe you will have better success using your ears to adjust the TA.
Were the frequencies you couldn't get right around your crossover points? With higher and thus shorter frequencies a little movement changes a lot. But I was wondering if having the tweeter and mids/woofers in phase on each seperate side would give better/easier results aligning them with tone bursts.
Out of phase at the crossover point would mean you won't be able to hear the directionality as much right? It would sound like it's coming from around you (like when you have the mids time aligned and then swap phase/polarity 180 deg).
If it is around the crossover points try and use the noise method to align the tweeters to the mids with TA (while overlapping the frequencies from the tweeter and mid as much as possible, restore original crossover points afterwards) and listen again. After aligning them try and use 6 db/oct (if the tweeter han handle that) or 24 db/oct slopes at the crossover points, else it might change phase to much but you could play with that too. Left and right crossover points and slopes don't have to be symetrical due to the different angles you listen to the speakers.

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.

Last edited by Wesayso; 04-29-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012   #47
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brazil-Sao Paulo
Posts: 11

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 vitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

The sine swep was useful for me...when playing it, the sound begins in the center and at the final of the track (lower frequencies) is remains the center too...

I'm going to try another slopes today...
vitorchadud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012   #48
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesayso View Post
Were the frequencies you couldn't get right around your crossover points? With higher and thus shorter frequencies a little movement changes a lot. But I was wondering if having the tweeter and mids/woofers in phase on each seperate side would give better/easier results aligning them with tone bursts.
Out of phase at the crossover point would mean you won't be able to hear the directionality as much right? It would sound like it's coming from around you (like when you have the mids time aligned and then swap phase/polarity 180 deg).
If it is around the crossover points try and use the noise method to align the tweeters to the mids with TA (while overlapping the frequencies from the tweeter and mid as much as possible, restore original crossover points afterwards) and listen again. After aligning them try and use 6 db/oct (if the tweeter han handle that) or 24 db/oct slopes at the crossover points, else it might change phase to much but you could play with that too. Left and right crossover points and slopes don't have to be symetrical due to the different angles you listen to the speakers.
good observation, you might be right about the reflections being at the crossover points but I don't remember. i will have to try one of these days that and the pink noise experiment.
it just seems like it will be difficult to adjust 4 speakers in an active setup that way- so you get the right speakers in phase, then the left, and then adjust the delay on both lefts at the same time to center the image?

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012   #49
DIYMA 500 Club
 
avanti1960's Avatar
 
DIYMA Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago "Land"
Posts: 799

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Tomorrow I am upgrading the front tweeters to Scanspeak 1" silk domes ordered the other day from Madisound. Great delivery BTW (ding ding ding) ordered Wednesday afternoon arrived on Thursday.
I'm going with the Scanspeak because I am tired of the in your face qualities of the Focal tweeters- while excellent are not the style I like. Also I hope to be able to cross the Scanspeak tweeters much lower (2Khz or 2.5Khz) to help the imaging and get the focal midwoofers out of their breakup frequencies. Focal are very open with their frequency plots but because of this you can easily see where they break up. In my case the 165 V30 midwoofers break up just north of 3K or so yet the tweeters sound awful below 4Khz. After realizing this IMHO the Focals are somewhat overpriced.
I actually ran an older set of Vifa NE19VTA04 aluminum domes in hopes that I could cross them lower than 4K- unfortunately even with a low Fs they did not sound good crossed any lower than the Focals. Although the VIfas were not too bad, the Focal tweeters have them beat in other areas too BTW FWIW.
Looking forward to seeing how the Scanspeaks sound. I have read a lot of good reviews but also see a lot of them for sale too.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012   #50
 
DIYMA freshman
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brazil-Sao Paulo
Posts: 11

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 vitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enoughvitorchadud will become famous soon enough


iTrader: (0)



Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

avanti1960, why did you set the balance position for Right?
vitorchadud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
First name
Last name
Do you work in the 12 Volt industry?
Do you work in the 12 Volt industry?
Youtube Channel
Enter Your Youtube Username, And It will Be Linked To In Your Posts!
12V Industry - Company Name
Your company name.
12V Industry - Your Position
Your position in your company.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Ad Management by RedTyger

Home | User CP | Members List | New Posts | ITrader | Faq | Post Spy