DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 21 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013   #501
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 ross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enoughross.cottrill will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Subd ,great advice here's guys!this is why I love this site so much
ross.cottrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013   #502

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enough

Subscribed.

I'm experiencing a little trouble with adjustments on my P99.

it sounds great, but i know it can get way better.
swiched from an 80PRS, two month ago.
bengee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013   #503
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

you guys are catching the tail end of this one, if you have any questions please post. still running the P99, going strong and i use it constantly and it allows my system to sound incredible.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013   #504
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 robtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enough

I couldn't help but notice Stage 4 has lost a tab on the Pioneer USA website. And the P99 got a special mention in the Crutchfield flyer this week. And the head of Pioneer NA has resigned. I'm just wondering aloud.

2008 328xi. X7800BT, D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, xe200, 12" Primo, Musicar box. 2006 XC90. 4000NEX, F4 & M12, L3x, L1v2, 60SQ, GB12D4, PWK. 2005 Malibu RLXI. MBT-RX, ZLD, Zuki, DRT 26, AR6K's (X2), MX-22, KEF egg, L5-8, PWK. 1980 Triumph TR8. MBT-CRX, D9605, GS62, SW2502S4 (X2).
robtr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013   #505

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 chasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enough

Question for you P99 experts:

Can you run a full bandwidth signal out of each channel (high, med., low)? Or do you have to work with the x-over parameters listed in the manual?

I'm mostly curious about running a quasi-active set up out of the high channel. It would be a HAT L4 bi-amped with their L1 using HAT x-overs. Is it possible to run a full signal out of the high channel out of the P99 and set a high pass of around 400Hz at the amp?

I'd want to keep the mid, low, and sw channels for something else. Just going over some system designs in my mind. I've checked out the manuals for the P99 and it is not clear to me if you can run full bandwidth signals out of the high channel.

Thanks!
chasintrane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013   #506

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
kia service consultant

Rep Power: 59 The Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enoughThe Performer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasintrane View Post

Can you run a full bandwidth signal out of each channel (high, med., low)? Or do you have to work with the x-over parameters listed in the manual?

I'm mostly curious about running a quasi-active set up out of the high channel. It would be a HAT L4 bi-amped with their L1 using HAT x-overs. Is it possible to run a full signal out of the high channel out of the P99 and set a high pass of around 400Hz at the amp?

I'd want to keep the mid, low, and sw channels for something else. Just going over some system designs in my mind. I've checked out the manuals for the P99 and it is not clear to me if you can run full bandwidth signals out of the high channel.

Thanks!
I believe you can just set the slope to flat and it will output full bandwidth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Performer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013   #507
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks!
IIRC, the high ch has a fixed highpass applied. I believe 1kHz/6dB was the lowest you can go...

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013   #508

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 chasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enoughchasintrane will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
IIRC, the high ch has a fixed highpass applied. I believe 1kHz/6dB was the lowest you can go...
Bummer! Can anyone else verify this? The manual says 800Hz is the lowest HPF you can apply. However, there is the PASS option for slope. Does choosing the PASS option for slope send out a full range signal out the high RCA's?

So, if someone was using an external processor, the P99 would only send a signal above 800Hz out of the high output?

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Old 11-23-2013   #509

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enoughbengee will become famous soon enough

i dont remember the exeact numbers, but i do know that there is a "defence" for the high output so that one will not accedentliy burn his tweeters.

can't you do your thing with the mid's output? they can play full range.
bengee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013   #510

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 123 WrenchGuy will become famous soon enoughWrenchGuy will become famous soon enoughWrenchGuy will become famous soon enoughWrenchGuy will become famous soon enoughWrenchGuy will become famous soon enoughWrenchGuy will become famous soon enough

I believe all outputs are full/PASS

manual shows 800 HPF
WrenchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013   #511
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 232 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

If Pioneer dumps the P99 and doesn't announce a successor at CES I'm definitely going to pick one up, hopefully on sale somewhere.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013   #512
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 74 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks!
Unfortunately not on the high channel- most likely built-in tweeter protection so consumers are not pissed off because of blown tweeters during the autotune function.
You are limited to 800Hz, 6 db / octave High Pass on the high channel. All others can be full pass.
I have my midrange with passive low pass / high pass to tweeter on the high channel.
Some very credible mobile audio experts believe that an 800Hz crossover between midbass and midrange works well with the typical lower door / upper door or a-pillar configuration. Hopefully they are right because with the P99 running rear fill 800 Hz is it.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013   #513

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
Unfortunately not on the high channel- most likely built-in tweeter protection so consumers are not pissed off because of blown tweeters during the autotune function.
You are limited to 800Hz, 6 db / octave High Pass on the high channel. All others can be full pass.
I have my midrange with passive low pass / high pass to tweeter on the high channel.
Some very credible mobile audio experts believe that an 800Hz crossover between midbass and midrange works well with the typical lower door / upper door or a-pillar configuration. Hopefully they are right because with the P99 running rear fill 800 Hz is it.
Bummer! Thanks for the info avanti. This is exactly what I was curious about.
Old 11-25-2013   #514

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 99 Gary Mac will become famous soon enoughGary Mac will become famous soon enoughGary Mac will become famous soon enoughGary Mac will become famous soon enoughGary Mac will become famous soon enoughGary Mac will become famous soon enough

I'm about to install a p99, I can't decide if I want to do 2-way plus sub and rears, or just two way with sub.

Either way, I can use the 1st of outputs for highs correct?
Gary Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013   #515

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enoughjodyz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mac View Post
I'm about to install a p99, I can't decide if I want to do 2-way plus sub and rears, or just two way with sub.

Either way, I can use the 1st of outputs for highs correct?
I had my P99 running F/R/S and it is definitely no optimum. Mine has been sitting in it's box for over a year since removing it from my previous vehicle as I'm still looking for just the right amp & two way front stage speakers for my '12 Accord sedan. Also considering a band-pass vented through the sub grill so my trunk lid doesn't rattle. Spare $$ is limiting factor for now. IMO, if you want to run F/R/S, get a different, less expensive HU.

jodyz###
2000 Honda Accord SiR Wagon (JDM)
Pioneer P99RS, SS Rubicon 5.800, SS RF-60C, Morel Tempo 5c, JL 12W3v3
jodyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013   #516

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Griffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enough

I've finally found one to replace my 80prs. Can't wait to get my mitts on it!
Best get reading through this thread again

The 80PRS was great but I wanted to go 3 way plus subs. Was a toss up between the P99 & Clarion DRZ9255. Hope its worth it
Griffin dai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013   #517

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 cobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enough

Owner of a 9887 who drive a modded supra and listen to rap/rock/dance music throught his Ipod... Will I see a benefit/upgrade with the p99rs !? Running active 2way if that matter.

Does the p99rs carry the same warmth sound as other Pioneer unit ( I had a p780mp a while back) vs my alpine ( more crisp/clear) sound ?
cobraa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014   #518

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 Tropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enough

By the way if one was to plug an ipod through the USB of the 99 would the sound be the same or would it be improved

I know it sounds crazy but last time I played some music through my cell and the sound was different even though I tried playing the same song 320kpbs quality recording on a cd and through my cell

so I never quite figured out why the difference?
Tropikal_Knights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014   #519
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 292 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

iPod/USB/CD sources are all identical. AUX-in however is not.

Can't remember, but ain't some of the "sound improvement" settings stored into different sources? So it remembers the settings for USB and one for CD etc etc. Could be wrong, otherwise it's probably the brain playing tricks on you. Everything is processed through the same DACs.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

Old 02-05-2014   #520

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 Tropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enough

Quote:
iPod/USB/CD sources are all identical. AUX-in however is not.

Can't remember, but ain't some of the "sound improvement" settings stored into different sources? So it remembers the settings for USB and one for CD etc etc. Could be wrong, otherwise it's probably the brain playing tricks on you. Everything is processed through the same DACs.
Okay thanks for the input. however having such a sensitive hear i am 100% sure that the same song played from my phone through bluetooth and even usb is different quality than when i plugged in the ipod......

I would much rather like the pure sound from the 99 rather than have all these different media storages putting their own "spin" on things.
Old 02-05-2014   #521
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Ok. If there is a difference and the settings remain the same - I have no clue what it could be. I've seen the test results on the USB/iPod vs CD and the inputs measured practically identical to each other. Since the same DACs are used to process both the USB and CD audio, the logical conclusion would be that they should be sonically identical to each other.

But I rarely even use any CDs. I store all my music on my iPod. Never thought of potential differences...

Old 02-06-2014   #522
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 219 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Ok. If there is a difference and the settings remain the same - I have no clue what it could be. I've seen the test results on the USB/iPod vs CD and the inputs measured practically identical to each other. Since the same DACs are used to process both the USB and CD audio, the logical conclusion would be that they should be sonically identical to each other.But I rarely even use any CDs. I store all my music on my iPod. Never thought of potential differences...
x2. Maybe jitter, but there we are getting into the realm of ridiculous if we think a modern high end DAC is not going to reject it enough when connected to a modern high quality digital source (ie ipod). I'd say maybe a setting on the iPod itself is throwing things off. Or something is broken or it's simply sighted bias at work.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014   #523

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Ok. If there is a difference and the settings remain the same - I have no clue what it could be. I've seen the test results on the USB/iPod vs CD and the inputs measured practically identical to each other. Since the same DACs are used to process both the USB and CD audio, the logical conclusion would be that they should be sonically identical to each other.

But I rarely even use any CDs. I store all my music on my iPod. Never thought of potential differences...
Okay I think the question I should be asking is whether or not any of this is real?

So I will try three different media storage files from three different phones including HTC, Samsung and iphone 5s and see if it is different from the ipod sound. Then I will try to test the same song in 320kpbs format on a normal usb as well as hear it on a cd and see what the results are.
Old 02-06-2014   #524

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
x2. Maybe jitter, but there we are getting into the realm of ridiculous if we think a modern high end DAC is not going to reject it enough when connected to a modern high quality digital source (ie ipod). I'd say maybe a setting on the iPod itself is throwing things off. Or something is broken or it's simply sighted bias at work.
reject it enough meaning that the ipod will take precedence or the 99 dac will reign supreme?

either way Am going to try the experiment detailed above
Old 02-07-2014   #525
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 219 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropikal_Knights View Post
reject it enough meaning that the ipod will take precedence or the 99 dac will reign supreme?

either way Am going to try the experiment detailed above
The type of DAC has an effect on the amount of jitter measured in the system. There are technologies implemented into it (such as ASRC in a Clarion DRZ-9255) that reduce the measured amount even if the main culprit is the digital source (ie CD transport, iPod, etc.). So the DAC helps reject the systems jitter.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement