DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 22 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014   #526

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 Griffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enoughGriffin dai will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Has anybody tried a different MP3 player with the p99?

I'm in the market for a new one, not too fussed on getting an iPod (got my iphone5) so was looking at these two:

Colorfly | Colorfly Pocket HiFi | 192KHz/24Bit

Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player by SanDisk

The colorfly is very expensive but can be had around £300 used, Sansa clip seems a great sounding MP3 player for a fraction of the price. But is it worth having these over the iPod if the p99 upscales the audio anyway?
Griffin dai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014   #527

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 90 southpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enough

Does any one know of a good IP bus disc changer that works with the P99 cant find any info in the P99 manual or on Pioneers website.

2005 TSX build in progress, build log found here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...g-rebuild.html
southpawskater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014   #528
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 220 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawskater View Post
Does any one know of a good IP bus disc changer that works with the P99 cant find any info in the P99 manual or on Pioneers website.
Curious, why get a limited cd changer that can't even digitally interface with the head unit? You're better off in every way by simply using a thumb drive. Most of the times people use CD changer nowadays is strictly for the purpose of using what they feel is a better SQ medium (ie CD). But with this app you don't even get that.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014   #529

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 90 southpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enoughsouthpawskater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Curious, why get a limited cd changer that can't even digitally interface with the head unit? You're better off in every way by simply using a thumb drive. Most of the times people use CD changer nowadays is strictly for the purpose of using what they feel is a better SQ medium (ie CD). But with this app you don't even get that.

In all honesty strictly for additional devices and creativity points in competition.
I already have an IPhone for streaming and playing my digital music.
But with the Pioneer IP bus system you can control external devices through the head unit so it would interface just fine, Iím just not sure which models are compatible, thus the question

2005 TSX build in progress, build log found here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...g-rebuild.html
southpawskater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014   #530

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 mrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Agreed.

You'd be loosing the great digital transport that really makes the P99 shine.

DEX-P99RS / Voce 1.1 / Voce 3.0 / ML165 / LRx 4.5 / LRx 3.1k
mrpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014   #531

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 mrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enough

Quote:
In all honesty strictly for additional devices and creativity points in competition.
I already have an IPhone for streaming and playing my digital music.
But with the Pioneer IP bus system you can control external devices through the head unit so it would interface just fine, Iím just not sure which models are compatible, thus the question
Ah yeah that makes sense.

I have my ip-bus for the headphone jack from my phone, sounds like dookie though lol.

DEX-P99RS / Voce 1.1 / Voce 3.0 / ML165 / LRx 4.5 / LRx 3.1k
mrpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014   #532
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 220 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
In all honesty strictly for additional devices and creativity points in competition.I already have an IPhone for streaming and playing my digital music.
Ah ok.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014   #533

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 MB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enough

I do not fully understand the last 5/6 posts but to the guy looking for a cd changer that mates with a p99...I have a premier 868 or 686 6 disc changer, not sure what the # is exactly. I have had this 6 disc changer for about 10+ years. It has been connected to every pioneer ip bus deck I have had since. Including, but not all or any particular order...prs880..prs800...p860...p920r..p930..p940. ..p840...p7800...and the currently installed p99rs....I think any ip-bus changer should be compatible.
MB2008LTZ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014   #534

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 Tropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enoughTropikal_Knights will become famous soon enough

Hello avanti 1960

Long time....Have sent you a PM
when you get the time please reply
thanks
Tropikal_Knights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014   #535

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enough

Can anyone confirm that iPod or iPhone can playback gapless through the DEX-P99RS? Both Apple Lossless and lossy MP3 and AAC?

What about files stored on USB? I assume MP3 and AAC will not play gaplessly. But WAV?
dk2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014   #536
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 293 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Gapless? Talking about the delay when it changes track? I think there's a small pause between each track... never thought about it really. Why is that important?

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014   #537

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enoughdk2020 will become famous soon enough

Gapless Playback for albums that should play smoothly from one track to the next, such as Dark Side of the Moon or DJ mixes.

CD's are usually played gapless, FLAC and Apple Lossless are often implemented gapless. MP3 and AAC are usually where there are issues, during the transcoding a bit of silence is often added to the beginning or end of the file. iTunes for example scans MP3 files and analyses the amount of silence so that it can do it's best to playback gaplessly in iTunes and on iPods and iPhones.
Old 04-06-2014   #538

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 104 jstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the roughjstoner22 is a jewel in the rough

You can always just remove gaps using dBpoweramp when converting to ALAC.

DEX-P99RS
(2)PRS-A900 / PRS-D1200SPL / GM-D7400M
High: ML28, Mid: L3SE, Low: ML 165 / Sub: (2)IDMax12 v.3 / Shaker: Buttkicker Mini
jstoner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014   #539

DIYMA freshman

I don't think I've ever seen a head-unit that can play MP3 files gaplessly. I'd assume that this deck also will not play an album gaplessly in MP3 from USB or a MP3 file on a CD. If it does that would be impressive.

What it should be able to do though is play the albums gapless from the iDevice in MP3, AAC and Apple Lossless, since the iDevice can already do that. But since the data is bypassing the internal DAC and sent to the head-unit to be processed I'd like feedback to make sure it does work.

I'm brainstorming my next setup. Either:
a) DEX-P99RS and iPod Classic as source
b) iPad or iPad mini feeding a Audison Bit Ten or something

With an iPad I know for sure that any MP3 or AAC or Apple Lossless will be played gapless, I'd like to know if I can get similar functionality from DEX-P99RS. I have a library that is mostly MP3 since I can't hear the difference from lossless. However I listen to a lot of classical music and DJ mixes and do not enjoy the gaps between MP3s.
Old 04-29-2014   #540
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Update April 29, 2014. Still running the DEX-P99 after 2 years and 2 months- and still tuning!
There is just no substitute for on the fly tuning capability of the DSP- you get to learn the impact of the most subtle changes to crossover frequency, slope, time alignment distance, etc. It did take a while but it was worth the time and effort. The ability to achieve near perfect phase response at the listening position is just incredible. I am still marveling at how great this deck and my system sounds.
My EQ is now set in stone- one setting sounds great for all of my music. The idea of understanding what frequencies your ears are sensitive to- and backing off as appropriate- was an epiphany.
I am starting to expand my home audio now and use my Car system as the reference standard- it used to be the other way around!
The home audio world is all about DACs, and I have yet to find any that can compare to the 4 burr browns used in the P99.
Peace everyone and happy SQ!

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014   #541
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 293 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Still tuning? Wow... I tune for a day or so then leave it xD

Tapaaatalk!!

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

Old 04-29-2014   #542
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 76 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
Still tuning? Wow... I tune for a day or so then leave it xD

Tapaaatalk!!
well how about "minor adjustments"? i am a perfectionist but my system has issues- radio source, especially AM for some reason wants to pull to the right and CD / higher frequencies want to pull to the left. I have not been able to correct it completely.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
Old 04-29-2014   #543
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

You guys still use AM? We stopped using it during the 70's lol.

Tapaaatalk!!

Old 05-05-2014   #544

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Edmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enough

P99 doesn't have Burr Brown's, I believe it has AKM custom DAC's��
Edmg4889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014   #545
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 98 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmg4889 View Post
P99 doesn't have Burr Brown's, I believe it has AKM custom DAC's👍
Yep. It has custom akm dac's

Sent from my Find 5 using Tapatalk
piyush7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014   #546

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 gfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enoughgfbl will become famous soon enough

hi all, will be using a p-01 mated with a helix dsp. was wondering if i should use a 80prs instead as i would not be taking advantage of the processing capability of the p-01. It would be strictly transport. Is it worth using it for transport only? Or use the 80 prs? Thanks.
gfbl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014   #547
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

80PRS then. They perform the same.

Tapaaatalk!!

Old 05-09-2014   #548

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Edmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enoughEdmg4889 will become famous soon enough

My Multi control knob makes my display turn off (audio still plays) whenever I try to adust settings by moving it up or down. Moving it Sideways doesn't do it.. It seems that the faceplate is somewhat loose, because if I hold it tight while adjusting with the knob, it doesn't do it. Has anyone had a problem with this? Is there a way to tighten the faceplate? Or perhaps clean the contacts?

Thanks��

Last edited by Edmg4889; 05-09-2014 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Misspelled words
Edmg4889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014   #549
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmg4889 View Post
My Multi control knob makes my display turn off (audio still plays) whenever I try to adust settings by moving it up or down. Moving it Sideways doesn't do it.. It seems that the faceplate is somewhat loose, because if I hold it tight while adjusting with the knob, it doesn't do it. Has anyone had a problem with this? Is there a way to tighten the faceplate? Or perhaps clean the contacts?

Thanks��
clean the contacts w/ alcohol.

my volume control started "intermittently" not working. i'll have to try contact cleaning again. guys into vintage home audio swear by this contact cleaner called "de-oxit". i may give that a try.

Old 05-20-2014   #550

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 130 Konnan101 will become famous soon enoughKonnan101 will become famous soon enoughKonnan101 will become famous soon enoughKonnan101 will become famous soon enoughKonnan101 will become famous soon enoughKonnan101 will become famous soon enough

Is there anyway to connect an android phone (specifically Samsung Galaxy S4), to the p99rs? My current setup is ipod classic 160gb, which I love. But sometimes I want to play something off Spotify which is on my phone, and the headphone jack sounds terrible.

Pioneer DEX-P99RS, Scan-speak D3004 tweeters, seas nextel 7" midwoofers, elemental designs e12a sub. Zed Audio Leviathan III...1995 Lexus SC400
Konnan101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement