DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 27 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014   #651
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 294 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
if i go 2 way how can i do auto tune ? is that possible
Yes. That's possible.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014   #652

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 hykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enough

Hanatsu, man please please know that i am so speechless as you went with me so many extra miles and tried so so so much to help me, and I am so ashamed to ask for more help as I know no one ever would do such a thing for me, but you did.

I totally would agree changing the driver location if it was my car, but it is not my Car so I still need to put the mids and tweeters on the dash.

One thing is that both mids and tweeters are put in a plastic enclosure that belonged to my focal krx3, and I am using interconnects so I cam remove the mids and tweeters when I go back home to avoid getting them stolen.

I will take pictures of the interconnects and the enclosure and location of the mids and tweeters.

Now with the helix c dsp something is not right which is I don't feel the vocals and music filling the Car in an enjoyable way, its more to the low side of music. Also the bass does not hit hard. And sometimes gets boomy i don't know if that is because of the woofers or the subs.

Now with just the p99 and after auto tune I feel more music is present dynamically and fills the cabin much more at the same volume than with the helix. BUT and a Big but the sound is somewhat not warm and is plasticy or and some details are lost, and I had to raise the sub level after autune from -13 to + 3 in the crossover settings in the p99.

I was thinking maybe I should start from scratch by doing it step by step following this procedure:

1- set the levels on all amps correctly, how to do that ?
2- make measurements using room eq- need help again in setting the mic, I am thinking this time to use my macbook pro instead of the crapy windows- can you help in initail setting room eq to use for my mic
3- decide then wether to stick with helix or just p99

I know it is a big big favour to ask again, but this will be my last and I promise
hykhleif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014   #653
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 111 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

I had to raise my sub +6db with my P99 to get it to where I want it after autotune. That's a pretty well known issue with the P99, it tends to attenuate the sub to home audio levels, not what most prefer in a automotive environment.

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014   #654
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 294 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
One thing is that both mids and tweeters are put in a plastic enclosure that belonged to my focal krx3, and I am using interconnects so I cam remove the mids and tweeters when I go back home to avoid getting them stolen.

I will take pictures of the interconnects and the enclosure and location of the mids and tweeters.

Now with the helix c dsp something is not right which is I don't feel the vocals and music filling the Car in an enjoyable way, its more to the low side of music. Also the bass does not hit hard. And sometimes gets boomy i don't know if that is because of the woofers or the subs.

Now with just the p99 and after auto tune I feel more music is present dynamically and fills the cabin much more at the same volume than with the helix. BUT and a Big but the sound is somewhat not warm and is plasticy or and some details are lost, and I had to raise the sub level after autune from -13 to + 3 in the crossover settings in the p99.

I was thinking maybe I should start from scratch by doing it step by step following this procedure:

1- set the levels on all amps correctly, how to do that ?
2- make measurements using room eq- need help again in setting the mic, I am thinking this time to use my macbook pro instead of the crapy windows- can you help in initail setting room eq to use for my mic
3- decide then wether to stick with helix or just p99

I know it is a big big favour to ask again, but this will be my last and I promise
1. Well, I assume you mean gains. Easiest way is (imo) to set volume to 60/62 on your P99, play a -10dBFS Sine tone and turn up gains till you hear audible distortion. To do it "properly" you need an O-scope to find the point where the amp clips. The P99 doesn't clip at any volume or settings (as far I know). Base output on your mids, for midbass drivers a 1kHz tone can be used, when that's done just level the subs, midranges and tweeters to the same as the mids around the each driver's intended crossover points (that you can do at lower volume, measure it in RoomEQ and adjust accordingly). You can fine tune levels for each channel in either the P99 or the Helix, but you generally want to feed the DSP/amps with as strong signal as possible to increase SNR, if noise is of no issue you can just lower the output for each channel in the P99. This should be done before EQing.

2. Sure

3. We can try tuning by simply use the P99, definitely easier at least. (you can ship the c-dsp to me if you don't want it lol )

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

Old 10-20-2014   #655

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 36 Luke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
I am using the P99 for 3-way and it works quite well. The one thing about using the P99 for 3-way that is not user friendly is that one of the mid outputs is fixed so you must deactivate the other mid output in order for auto-tune to run correctly. I can't remember off the top of my head if mid high or mid low is fixed, I'll take a look at mine once I drive into work today.
How do you deactivate it? Because I tried Auto Tuning 2way + Sub active install and it kept saying mid band error because it couldnt hear anything from my 3" midrange which I wanted to disconnect.
Luke/Peaandham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014   #656
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 99 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke/Peaandham View Post
How do you deactivate it? Because I tried Auto Tuning 2way + Sub active install and it kept saying mid band error because it couldnt hear anything from my 3" midrange which I wanted to disconnect.
Disconnect the rca connected to mid rca on the hu
piyush7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014   #657

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 36 Luke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enough

Ah see I only disconnected them at the amp end.
Old 10-20-2014   #658
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 111 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
Disconnect the rca connected to mid rca on the hu
Whoa wait what? No, you must disable the non-fixed mid channel in the initial setup menu. Otherwise the P99 will continue to attempt to calibrate those channels and after hearing nothing returned from the disconnected speakers it will end the auto-calibration with an error message.

Old 10-20-2014   #659
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

Read the manual, it states that the "mid" output must always be connected if you plan to use auto tune feature. Turn off the "low" output in the head unit and use the "high" on tweeters, "mid" on midwoofer and "sub" on the subwoofer.

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014   #660

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 hykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enough

I removed the mids so I am running 2 way, and did autotune and it went ok

observations between 3 way and 2 way

well in 2 way I found the sound more better to my ears, I don't know why I always prefer to go back to 2 ways than 3 ways, so now all I need to do is compare auto tune with custom tune. I removed the mids, and placed the tweeters under the dash where the original tweeters usually are placed.

hanatsu do you have time today to help me in setting up my mic with room eq in my mac, I am curious to see what we can achieve in tuning using just the p99. I will keep my Skype open so please drop me a message if you have time today to just set up the mic, and what measurements shall we take for a 2 way system. And when I take the measurements shall I remove all crossover points that were dialed in after I did autotune

If it was my own Car I would not have placed the mids and tweeters on the dash but since its not, I find that maybe the placement of the mids on the dash was the main problem I had. So I am back to 2 ways and lets see what we can achieve.
hykhleif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014   #661

DIYMA freshman

I found from the basic settings I had without an auto tune I had quite the peak in midrange, the P99 autotune boosted the sub and midbass, but it also boosted the midrange quite dramatically.

I have RTA photos of this if anyone would like to see?

Since ive done the manual tune on an RTA myself i'll never go back to using the autotune.
Old 11-11-2014   #662

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 themad will become famous soon enoughthemad will become famous soon enoughthemad will become famous soon enoughthemad will become famous soon enoughthemad will become famous soon enoughthemad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I found from the basic settings I had without an auto tune I had quite the peak in midrange, the P99 autotune boosted the sub and midbass, but it also boosted the midrange quite dramatically.

Since ive done the manual tune on an RTA myself i'll never go back to using the autotune.
Sure, it would be great to see how the autotune turned out.
themad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2014   #663
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:

How did you have the Autotune mic aimed and where was it mounted?

Old 11-11-2014   #664

DIYMA freshman

The mic would be attached to the middle of the headrest with either a heavy duty double sided tape or a belt. It would always be aimed straight ahead.
Old 11-14-2014   #665
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 130 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

I keep watching this thread and wonder what auto tune did to my car. It does give me a higher, more center stage but my midrange is so thick and and my midbass all but went away. I know i need to tune more but without autotune the midbass is great yet stage is low and localized.

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014   #666
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 derickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enough

I've been trying to stay away and not share my opinion for auto tune with the P99, but here we go...

T/A and x-overs doesn't work (for me) I have the feeling it's generic and has presets by default.

EQ it's kind of Bold but it helps specially for people that don't go the extra mile tuning.

The P99 can tune really good but easily could make a system sound bad.

Understanding the basics of sound and the limitations of the interior of our cars it's essential to get a good sound from the wonderful P99

2 cts.

D.

My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
Mercedes Benz CLA 250, Pioneer P-99, IDQ12d4v3 Subwoofer, ... ID min Horns, 6.5" Midbass!
derickveliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014   #667
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Autotune does suck. 1 point measurements only work in the modal range, rest needs multiple averages in the listening space. Not impressed with either auto T/A or auto EQ.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Old 01-04-2015   #668
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 77 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
I keep watching this thread and wonder what auto tune did to my car. It does give me a higher, more center stage but my midrange is so thick and and my midbass all but went away. I know i need to tune more but without autotune the midbass is great yet stage is low and localized.
turn it off!

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2015   #669
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 221 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Except for the MS-8 of course!

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2015   #670
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 derickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enough

I like my P99 so much that I had to have it in my new ride...

D.

My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
Mercedes Benz CLA 250, Pioneer P-99, IDQ12d4v3 Subwoofer, ... ID min Horns, 6.5" Midbass!
derickveliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015   #671

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 w35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enoughw35t_fg2 will become famous soon enough

Anybody have one of these units for trade?

FT: GF, 5'4", brunette, 120lbs, D cup, willing to ship.
w35t_fg2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015   #672

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Valsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enough

I would absolutely love to get this head unit but without the blue to for at least hands free calling I cant it sucks. I know there are blue tooth adapters/ interfaces but not sure if it will work with the iPhone 6.
Any suggestions, thoughts,ideas?
Valsmere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015   #673
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 234 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

BT is BT. The iPhone's typically have more stable BT than most other phones. It'll work fine. The hard part is finding the adapter. They're like hen's teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015   #674
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 108 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

there used to be a lot of phones that didn't work with that adapter. and not being upgradeable, you were sol. sold enough and took back enough to know.

but every iphone did work that i know up. haven't used an iphone 6 myself, but i'd also bet it would work.

jtaudioacc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015   #675

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Valsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enoughValsmere will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the replies, I'm assuming the blue tooth adapter you guys are referring to is the discontinued one from Pioneer. I had heard,read somewhere that an alpine one may work but the model number escapes me now and not sur it it was real or not. I will check into it more. I do see the Pioneer units and n eBay from time to time.
Thank you
Valsmere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement