DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 29 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015   #701
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 78 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

WOW! Amazing how time flies. Just a few days north of (3) years since I installed the P99! And it still sounds incredible- and I still keep adjusting! (just slightly).
The combo platter of the P99, the JL amps (especially the JL HD) and my mongrel 3-way up front of the Hybrid Imagine woofers, the Hybrid L3SE doing midrange and the Morel tweeters- all work together to give true audiophile sound in the car.
I've spent the past year upgrading my home 2-channel SQ based system complete with a kick ass VPI turntable. It's incredible how my SQ reference was the car system, then when I reunited with vinyl and a tube preamplifier and saw what that does for sound quality- I have bounced my sonic preferences back and forth finally settling on a sound that is somewhere in between. If you have never experienced the rich smoothness that a quality vinyl rig can give you (not in the car of course) then I highly recommend you sample the experience. Digital can sound very very good but my home system with vinyl source is my go-to media for really delivering the breathtaking sound quality.
Adjustments lately include more refinements at left / right EQ to further center the image. Some resonances at certain frequencies around the mid to midrange crossover point cause an over emphasis to the on-axis drivers, which in turn causes a shift to the left in those EQ frequencies when centering with band limited pink noise.
I try to "tune out" the resonances and adjust to the base sound. This has helped center the image more consistently.
I played around with the mid to woofer crossover slopes as well, letting the imagine woofers run at 18db slope to shine a little midrange upstairs. While the sound is more open, the image tends to reflect more, a trade off I did not accept. So back to 24db slopes.
Absolutely no regrets in the investment for the P99 and all the other goodies and zero urge to upgrade the car system. At times the vocals are so clear and present you just get the chills. The other day I was playing an Elvis Costello CD and man, he was like right there. Peace.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015   #702
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 78 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post
Anyone running 3 way components up front with rears and a sub(s)? I am thinking of doing this and wondered if anyone had experience with this and what they thought of the sound.
This is how I have my setup. I prefer it this way but it has some limitations and challenges.
First limitation is there are only (8) channels including (2) for subwoofer. Since I run my rear door passive component set on the LOW channels, this leaves the MID and HIGH for front door duties.
I got around this by making a sweet DIY passive crossover network for the midrange to tweeter and run them both together on the HIGH channels. Meniscus Audio has some audiophile quality passive crossover components if interested. There are calculators out there that can help you design it as well. The other limitation is that since the mid and tweet are on the HIGH channel, it is limited on the bottom end by an 800Hz crossover point (for tweeter protection during auto tune).
Some may not like crossing their woofer to midrange at 800Hz, but it works for me.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
Old 03-04-2015   #703

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 aznlunatic will become famous soon enoughaznlunatic will become famous soon enoughaznlunatic will become famous soon enoughaznlunatic will become famous soon enoughaznlunatic will become famous soon enoughaznlunatic will become famous soon enough

i have a quick question, so i currently have autoeq on, can i still use the 31 band eq to adjust the frequencies? or does the autoeq over ride it? thanks

Pioneer DEX-P99RS, Stereo Integrity TM65, NVX XSPTW Tweeter (Soon to be Stereo Integrity M25's), 2 - Stereo Integrity BM MKIV subwoofer, Arc Audio XDi 1200.6
aznlunatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015   #704

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 nikster22 will become famous soon enoughnikster22 will become famous soon enoughnikster22 will become famous soon enoughnikster22 will become famous soon enoughnikster22 will become famous soon enoughnikster22 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
This is how I have my setup. I prefer it this way but it has some limitations and challenges.
First limitation is there are only (8) channels including (2) for subwoofer. Since I run my rear door passive component set on the LOW channels, this leaves the MID and HIGH for front door duties.
I got around this by making a sweet DIY passive crossover network for the midrange to tweeter and run them both together on the HIGH channels. Meniscus Audio has some audiophile quality passive crossover components if interested. There are calculators out there that can help you design it as well. The other limitation is that since the mid and tweet are on the HIGH channel, it is limited on the bottom end by an 800Hz crossover point (for tweeter protection during auto tune).
Some may not like crossing their woofer to midrange at 800Hz, but it works for me.
Are you happy with having a front sound stage-only? Curious where the auto-EQ crossed between the mids and tweets on your setup. Thanks!
nikster22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015   #705
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlunatic View Post
i have a quick question, so i currently have autoeq on, can i still use the 31 band eq to adjust the frequencies? or does the autoeq over ride it? thanks
yes but it is not good to do this. you are adding EQ on top of EQ and for me it did not sound as good as if you just EQ without autotune.
I strongly recommend RTA software, a mic and microphone power supply. threads all over the place how to do this as well as what target frequency response curve to shoot for.

Old 03-05-2015   #706
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster22 View Post
Are you happy with having a front sound stage-only? Curious where the auto-EQ crossed between the mids and tweets on your setup. Thanks!
I have rear passive components in the doors.
The auto tune spits out a generic crossover for all mid to high channels.
If you run autotune you can pre-set your own crossovers.
what speakers and where are they located?

Old 03-26-2015   #707

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 shavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enough

A quick review, notes and a hugely important question....

First, the P99 is absolutely awesome for my setup. Very little room did not allow for a Bit10 or external x-overs. Took quite some time to get her dialed in, but what really did the best was setting the EQ. There was just something off that I couldn't remove with the auto eq or time delays. So I went manual. tape measured the distances and plugged that in. Then using test tones, adjusted the EQ to where is sounded flat to my ear in the driving (then passanger) position. THAT did it! Even though the eq curve was scary, it sounded perfect! The sound stage just lit up. Depth, height, and even width to this tiny car.

I had a chance to spend an hour or so in front of a pair of Wilson Alexandria XLF's (and Audio Research gear) to get my reference fix, get back in the Porsche playing the same music, and must say....DAYUM! This is good.

Now the all important question...since the Bluetooth adapter is discontinued, what is a good BT adapter to use with this head unit?

Cheers!

Porsche 911 2004 C4S cab: Pioneer P99RS to Audison LRx2.9 to a pair of JL Audio 6W3 Audison LRx6.9 to Hertz Mille ML1600's, ML700's, and ML280's.
shavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2015   #708
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 236 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

That's the only one that works with it. Scour eBay. They pop up occasionally.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015   #709

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 shavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enoughshavis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
That's the only one that works with it. Scour eBay. They pop up occasionally.
Thanks! I picked one up this morning. Used, but has cables, manual, etc.

Should be here next week.

Now, maybe I can Spotify the car.

Cheers!

Porsche 911 2004 C4S cab: Pioneer P99RS to Audison LRx2.9 to a pair of JL Audio 6W3 Audison LRx6.9 to Hertz Mille ML1600's, ML700's, and ML280's.
shavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015   #710
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 140 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

So I read the manual and I know how to adjust the time alignment, but I do not understand with respect to what. I have my units set to inches but I don't know what to enter. I am guessing the distance of each speaker from the listening position? I am so used to add my actual delay time so I am at a loss with the distance. Any help with what to enter will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I am over thinking this too much.

EDIT: Entering the actual distance from each speaker to the listening position seems to have done the trick. I love this unit.
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015   #711
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 jriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enoughjriggs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Entering the actual distance from each speaker to the listening position seems to have done the trick. I love this unit.
Yes, and then plug those numbers into this http://tracerite.com/calc.html, make sure you select pioneer.

You will get different numbers but try it, it works well.

Under Construction

Last edited by jriggs; 03-27-2015 at 09:25 PM..
jriggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015   #712
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Guys ... I know this is a P99 thread but could anyone help me here

I have the P90 combo - just bought the focal Kit 7 with crossblock - my question is this how do I set the DSP to avoid conflicts with the cross block? I mean the midrange frequency is set on the midrange output on the DSP right? So what would happen if I used my cross block which has a 300hz 12db slope?

Also does the midrange frequency on the DSP run to 20khz? As the cross block has one input for mid and tweeter..

Can anyone shed some light here - really don't want to lose the DSP...
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015   #713
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 derickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enough

What is a P90 combo?

D.

My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
Mercedes Benz CLA 250, Pioneer P-99, IDQ12d4v3 Subwoofer, ... ID min Horns, 6.5" Midbass!
derickveliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015   #714
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz View Post
What is a P90 combo?

D.
DEX-P90RS and DEQ-P90..
Old 04-01-2015   #715
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 derickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enoughderickveliz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
DEX-P90RS and DEQ-P90..
I don't know the P90 combo but...

Even if you get your DSP to play one channel from 55Hz up to 20kHz feeding your crossblock the first issue I see you may run into is Time Alignment for each component, unless you install them in the same area clustered all 3 together.

D.

My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
Mercedes Benz CLA 250, Pioneer P-99, IDQ12d4v3 Subwoofer, ... ID min Horns, 6.5" Midbass!
derickveliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015   #716
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz View Post
I don't know the P90 combo but...

Even if you get your DSP to play one channel from 55Hz up to 20kHz feeding your crossblock the first issue I see you may run into is Time Alignment for each component, unless you install them in the same area clustered all 3 together.

D.
Reading the manual (helps!!!) you can set the slopes to "pass" similar to your P99 - just wondering if you can still EQ and time align as that's all you would want to do if you let the cross block deal with the slopes and frequencies..
Old 04-07-2015   #717
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Hi Guys

So I was helping my brother tune his car over the weekend.. He has the P99 HU.. The P99 sounds weird in a sense that the it sounds very pitchy on the tops - I used my RTA to help tune it but it doesn't seem to get much better.

I tried to use my iPhone 6 as a source (using the 3.5mm jack to rca straight to the amp) and it sounds better - no more pitchy highs!

I tried to RTA the response and match the P99 to the iPhone and it would appear that the closest to the IPhone in terms of response is auto EQ off and flat response.. This actually sounded decent - but the bass response is not as good as it was before..

It seems you have to have the auto EQ on - but then I am back to a pitchy sound which isn't great..

Do you guys have a solution to this dilema? From my limited knowledge of the P99 this appears to be a problem - why must you auto EQ before tuning , why can't you just adjust small things on a no EQ platform?. Why can't the HU run as a dead head with no processing?

Am I missing something?
Old 04-07-2015   #718
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 93 claydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of light

The auto eq is an option.....it is not required. You can choose to have auto eq off in the audio menus. I have never even set it up on mine. On your setup, out of curiosity, why would you use the focal passives when you have full processing capability?
claydo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015   #719
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydo View Post
The auto eq is an option.....it is not required. You can choose to have auto eq off in the audio menus. I have never even set it up on mine. On your setup, out of curiosity, why would you use the focal passives when you have full processing capability?
Exactly what he said. Better yet, reset the audio memory and don't even activate the auto EQ. Just do everything manually and you'll have better results.

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015   #720
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
On this setup it's the Alpine F1 2 way with revelator subs - it's impossible to get the F1's to sound as good as the Passives - trust me we tried!!

I am a firm believer that on the very high end speaker setups that offer a specialized passive - it's better to use them.

My other setup will run the Focal Kit 7 with cross block - I don't believe active can achieve the same SQ as a very specialized passive - remember the cross block has 4500 potential tweeks

From my own experience - the less you EQ the better the car sounded..

From my weekends tuning all it showed me was that unless you absolutely understand the type of curve your trying to achieve - it's a waste to have a EQ..

As anything adjusted just made it sound worse..
Old 04-07-2015   #721
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 93 claydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't say impossible.........maybe just out of reach? What could a passive possibly apply that would be beyond a knowledgeable tuner and a quality processor?
Old 04-07-2015   #722
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
I wouldn't say impossible.........maybe just out of reach? What could a passive possibly apply that would be beyond a knowledgeable tuner and a quality processor?
You should read the manual...

For instance the passive attenuated the tweeter from 3db slope to 18db on a specific setting - no processor can do that.

I haven't read the manual for a long time but I remember reading these settings and remember thinking that it wasn't possible to do that.

I also spent 2 weeks tuning my setup (also F1) and it had a specific frequency - actually very similar to what I am hearing on the P99 - spend hours trying to get it right and then I decided to try the Passives and literally 10min later after electronically level matching the tweeter it was perfect..

Sorry but the high end Passives are specifically designed to enhance the drivers - they are not a convenience accessory.

Read up on the new Morel Supremo S02 and see what that passive does to the tweeter and mid..
Old 04-07-2015   #723
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I admit......passives are excellent high end crossover solutions that have their place in equalaterally placed cabinets in relation to a listening chair, using planned baffle sizing, and known response drivers.........
Old 04-07-2015   #724
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 narvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enoughnarvarr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to narvarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
You should read the manual...

For instance the passive attenuated the tweeter from 3db slope to 18db on a specific setting - no processor can do that.

I haven't read the manual for a long time but I remember reading these settings and remember thinking that it wasn't possible to do that.

I also spent 2 weeks tuning my setup (also F1) and it had a specific frequency - actually very similar to what I am hearing on the P99 - spend hours trying to get it right and then I decided to try the Passives and literally 10min later after electronically level matching the tweeter it was perfect..

Sorry but the high end Passives are specifically designed to enhance the drivers - they are not a convenience accessory.

Read up on the new Morel Supremo S02 and see what that passive does to the tweeter and mid..
I respectively disagree, a processor with a good parametric EQ like the Helix units and PS8 can do that, but we are talking about the P99, which can't.

MECA 2012 ModStreet Texas State Champion
MECA 2013 Modified Texas State Champ
'06 Mazda Tribute- Carrozzeria, Helix, Hybrid Audio, ScanSpeak, Steg, JL Audio

'06 mini Cooper S- Planning Phase.
narvarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015   #725
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
I respectively disagree, a processor with a good parametric EQ like the Helix units and PS8 can do that, but we are talking about the P99, which can't.
I guess my experiences with active with high end speakers has not been as successful as same speakers with Passives..

Passives in a high end solution has its place.. I would def go active in mid ranged speaker sets as those Passives are generic and are not built to high end standards and components such as the Focal cross block and F1 Passives and Morel Supremo s02 passives..

Even Morel state that the Passives enhance the supremo sets and I have read reviews on the Brax Graphic Pros where they tested both setups and agreed that the Passives are required..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement